PDA

View Full Version : If your Irish: Time to join the Veterans ( or Scottish, English or Welsh)

Linda L
-9th December 2007, 10:21
If you have thought about joining the Vets but held back, now is the time!
Look on our web site to see all the competitions where you could fence in 2008.
But especialy if you were born in Ireland!
We are holding a 4 nations competition in Manchester January 26th 27th.
The teams are selected from National championships usually BUT we need more representation from a combined Ireland team.

If you are over 40, join now ( 13 months for the price of 12) .
Contact me via PM or look in the next veterans Newsletter to be on the web later today for full details.
All 3 weapons teams of 3 mens and womens.

Later this year the World Championshipes is in France ( over 50 only ) and we have a team competiion against Spain as well.
Some of our competitons are by selection only, some are not.
We have 3 reigning World Champions from the Veterans right now! Next year it could be you!
http://www.veterans-fencing.co.uk/

Join now it could be the best £10 you ever spend.

wrinkly sabreur
-4th January 2008, 13:20
Hi Linda,

What's this match against Spain? Don't see any mention in the calendar.

Not a typo for European teams in Ciudad Real was it?

Buenos años.

Hasta la vista.http://www.fencingforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
:)

Linda L
-5th January 2008, 21:03
Correct as usual..a typo from the Newsletter Ed, it iS the European Team match, although we have had some interest from Spain and Russia about entering teams in the Loughbourough Vets Challenge. (This year September)
And we continue to try and set up European frendly matches as well, will keep you posted via the web and the Newsletter.

As to the Vets Team Challenge : We REALLY want a Section competition,
so any budding Vets Section Captains out there , lets get organised and have a really good turn out in Sept. As usual email me or ring or via the Newsletter for more details.

Highlander
-11th January 2008, 15:02
I'm English but failed to make the English foil team
I live close to the venue for the quadrangular in January and would gladly fence for another country to make up the numbers if this is within the rules

Regards Jeff Kiy

GKB
-11th January 2008, 15:21
What is happening with Scottish Fencing? The "B" part of my forum name has expected to hear by now if he is fencing for them in the MS team. :dont:

For once - it would be good to plan something more than a week in advance????

marg
-11th January 2008, 16:14
What is happening with Scottish Fencing? The "B" part of my forum name has expected to hear by now if he is fencing for them in the MS team. :dont:

For once - it would be good to plan something more than a week in advance????

I do believe he is not the only Scottish fencer who was surprised not to have heard anything about the teams!

marg
-11th January 2008, 16:17
I'm English but failed to make the English foil team
I live close to the venue for the quadrangular in January and would gladly fence for another country to make up the numbers if this is within the rules

Regards Jeff Kiy

Then we would end up with a Barbarian team like the Junior Quads.

Linda L
-11th January 2008, 18:14
Hi Guys

I can only point you all at the Dec 2007 newsletter ( on the NVA web site) that has the contact details for the team managers, please feel free to email them if you are willing to fence.
I dont have any details to publish of the team selection other than England.

Linda

marg
-11th January 2008, 19:24
Hi Guys

I can only point you all at the Dec 2007 newsletter ( on the NVA web site) that has the contact details for the team managers, please feel free to email them if you are willing to fence.
I dont have any details to publish of the team selection other than England.

Linda

Is Mike Rollinson still putting the Scottish team together? I heard rumour that it wasn't him ?

Linda L
-12th January 2008, 05:56
Is Mike Rollinson still putting the Scottish team together? I heard rumour that it wasn't him ?

You may be correct, but as he emailled me for details it would be a good first port of call, I would expect him to pass any emails on to the correct person.
L

GKB
-12th January 2008, 11:01
I think he put it together last year but B hasn't heard anything this year as to who might be on to it...B has PM'd him. Thanks girls:)

miker
-14th January 2008, 08:59
I advised SF nearly 4 weeks ago that I was unable to commit time to organise a team this year (due to entirely different work circumstances) and that unless there was a full 6W squad (and thus able to actually win!) I would be reluctant to travel. Sorry.

Any volunteers should contact Alan Loveland at Scottish fencing. Between he and I we can provide contact details of other Scottish vets as best we can.

SF will NOT be involved in any official capacity (per Alan/Roy) so its up to individuals to organise themslves. I can forward competition info by return on request.

If a full squad comes together I can consider cancelling other commitments to bolster a MF team.

BTW I have as yet received no PMs on this subject... ????

Peter Pan
-14th January 2008, 10:21
Further to Miker’s post, I can confirm that whilst SF is happy to help in any way it is not going to take on the task of trying to organise a squad. I did this in the past, before I was involved in SF admin, as did Miker, Brian McMiken and Steven Rennie and it is a real challenge.

We are a volunteer organisation and unless someone wants to volunteer to do this it won’t get done. We advertised for volunteers last year and none came forward to help/take over from Miker.

The fact is, for whatever reason, Scotland has very few active vets and not many of those want to travel. I have passed the word around those who may be interested that they can get contact details from the office or from me but raising a team of any sort requires someone who is interested sitting down for a few evenings phoning and emailing and doing a lot of cajouling. Anyone who wants further information can contact Alan at the office – you might also persuade him to fence!

Like Miker, no-one has contacted me yet about this event so I’m not convinced there’s a whole hoard of people feeling let down by SF. If the B of GKB and maybe Julian Ghosh want to get together and start to contact folk, Alan and I can give them all emails and phone numbers we have.

GKB
-14th January 2008, 10:57
Hi Peter Pan,
On behalf of Barry, I confirm that he is willing and expecting to fence for Scotland, and if there is any organisation to be done for a MS team, I am sure that between he and Julian, they can get a 3rd together in time for the Quad !

He did say that he had PM'd miker, but this has obviously not gone through, so I have sent another one just in case.....:o

Linda L
-14th January 2008, 11:39
[

We are a volunteer organisation and unless someone wants to volunteer to do this it won’t get done. We advertised for volunteers last year and none came forward to help/take over from Miker.

Hi Guys
Thanks for the info, it would seem that the Vets need to try and drum up members in Scotland, or who have a Scots pedigree, to get involved.
If anyone thinks it is viable I can make a plea later this year in the newsletter. The other option could be to float the idea of a mixed Ireland /Scotland team so its not just England V Wales.
If anyone thinks this is a good idea I can ask all involved for next time?
Contact me via PM or the newsletter email address and I will do what I can.

regards
Linda

IjC
-13th April 2008, 17:00
The other option could be to float the idea of a mixed Ireland /Scotland team so its not just England V Wales.
If anyone thinks this is a good idea I can ask all involved for next time?

I am interested in getting a database of Irish Veteran Fencers together. Anyone prepared to admit to being both Irish and over 40, please send me your contact details via a PM on this forum or email me. My address is

isabellafencing
and it is @eircom.net.

What about then having the team of Gaels, against the Welsh and English :not_worth ?

Just a thought.

All the best,
Isabella Codd.