52 Mottershead

Well done Kira Roberts for making the 32 yesterday

Red
-9th December 2007, 18:41
Well done James Honeybone on making the last 16

And to AOC on his 16, Gann, Ratneswaren and Anthony Crutchett on their 32s

Foilling Around
-9th December 2007, 19:29
Anyone know what happened to Sam B, Last place - injury or just one of those days?

Australian
-9th December 2007, 19:36
Anyone know what happened to Sam B, Last place - injury or just one of those days?

According to his Dad he got off to a really bad start with his first couple of fights. I saw his last couple of fights and he was fencing quite well, just couldn't get the hits needed for a win. I think it's his first A-grade, so it isn't a disaster.

Red
-9th December 2007, 19:46
I think it's his first A-grade, so it isn't a disaster.

It isn't his first a-grade.

Foilling Around
-9th December 2007, 21:52
My favourite quote

"fencing is a marathon not a sprint"

Making a mess of a competition is not a disaster, especially not for a fencer as young and as talented as Sam. He and the team around him will deal with it and come back stronger. His long term goal for U20 fencing is still almost 4 years away.

I was mainly worried about injury as he is fencing for us in the Cadet Winton next weekend.

Selfish I know, but preformance set backs are easier to deal with than, for exanple, pulled hamstrings!!

Red
-9th December 2007, 22:49
I was mainly worried about injury as he is fencing for us in the Cadet Winton next weekend.

You mean and heartless man! As soon as he gets out of school you take him back! :rolleyes:

In the long run, the u20s are unimportant now, but they can still play a vital role in ensuring cadet worlds qualification. Either way, he's still in a strong position to go to the cadet worlds this season as no other cadets (other than Glueboy) are on the junior a grade team - all it would take is one half decent u20 result to become truly unassailable.

creecho
-9th December 2007, 22:55
I'm still feeling sore about the fact I didn't make it out there. Had the worse day ever on Friday: Forced out of bed at 6 to get to Stanstead at 10. MASSIVE traffic problems on M40 outside Oxford. FOUR accidents on M25. Stopped for HALF AN HOUR. Still going to make it for 10-ish. 20 minutes away. Doing 90. transmission GONE. Glide over onto hard shoulder. Almost died about 5 times in the process. RAC took almost 2 hours. Missed flight. Assured I would get on the evening flight but Norman couldn't book it himself. Get to Stanstead. Wait for 3/4 OF AN HOUR. NO SEATS. FLIGHT FULL. Scream at woman. Try to get on flights from Gatwick and Heathrow, but no car, airport shuttle 3 HOURS couldn't make it. Ring every airport in the country (virtually), spend 1billion on searching internet on mobile. One flight...700 from Birmingham 5 hours away on the tow truck and 700...bugger off. So have spent the weekend sulking and watching 'Gladiators' and 'Supermarket Sweep'. HIGHLY UNAMUSED.

But well done to the people out there :)

Commander
-10th December 2007, 17:27
MASSIVE traffic problems on M40 outside Oxford. FOUR accidents on M25. Stopped for HALF AN HOUR. Still going to make it for 10-ish. 20 minutes away. Doing 90.

No wonder there are accidents on the M40 and M25 when there are crazy drivers like you on the roads driving at 90 MPH.

It is not clever to boast about your speed on this forum. You are a danger to other motorists. With any luck a camera will have caught you.

Foilling Around
-10th December 2007, 17:51
I'm still feeling sore about the fact I didn't make it out there. Had the worse day ever on Friday: Forced out of bed at 6 to get to Stanstead at 10. MASSIVE traffic problems on M40 outside Oxford. FOUR accidents on M25. Stopped for HALF AN HOUR. Still going to make it for 10-ish. 20 minutes away. Doing 90. transmission GONE. Glide over onto hard shoulder. Almost died about 5 times in the process. RAC took almost 2 hours. Missed flight. Assured I would get on the evening flight but Norman couldn't book it himself. Get to Stanstead. Wait for 3/4 OF AN HOUR. NO SEATS. FLIGHT FULL. Scream at woman. Try to get on flights from Gatwick and Heathrow, but no car, airport shuttle 3 HOURS couldn't make it. Ring every airport in the country (virtually), spend 1billion on searching internet on mobile. One flight...700 from Birmingham 5 hours away on the tow truck and 700...bugger off. So have spent the weekend sulking and watching 'Gladiators' and 'Supermarket Sweep'. HIGHLY UNAMUSED.

But well done to the people out there :)

And what's more the FIE might fine you for entering and not turning up - unless you have a doctor's note. (Unless that only applies to Senior A Grades or GPs or someting like that - and I can't be bothered to check.

creecho
-10th December 2007, 18:33
No wonder there are accidents on the M40 and M25 when there are crazy drivers like you on the roads driving at 90 MPH.

It is not clever to boast about your speed on this forum. You are a danger to other motorists. With any luck a camera will have caught you.

hey...I didn't say I was driving- I've failed my test 3 times...probably due to my mother's example. Besides had she not been speeding I definately would not have made the flight. Anyway, I hardly think giving an accurate, albeit slightly exaggerated, account of what happened constitutes as boasting. I don't think it's clever to belittle and patronise people on this forum either.

You will no doubt be pleased to know that on top of this I probably will be fined 150 Euros for not making it to the competition, I think the same ruling is true for junior.

fa266
-10th December 2007, 19:50
Hey, chin up Creecho - we've all been there (although that was really bad luck).

I once got trapped in a building before a competition. Actually that's a fairly cr@p story...

Gangsta G
-10th December 2007, 23:32
Louise I really feel for you, and must say that I think the 150 Euro fine, if you are fined, is exceptionally unfair! Ok fair enough if you simply can't be bothered to turn up, but that clearly wasn't the case with you. Surely there is a way of appealing against any possible fine?

Duncan Rowlands
-13th December 2007, 06:56
If a withdrawal is due to authenticated injury or 'force majeure' then the fine ought not to be imposed (interpriting rule o.54, which states that such a withdrawal is permitted, and so logically ought not to be fined).

Now it's just a case of BF convincing the FIE that the traffic issues etc. encountered constitutes 'force majeure'.

tigger
-15th December 2007, 10:40
Interesting (bizarre) situation on the status of this event regarding Junior Worlds Qualification:

James 10th place was downgraded to a L32 (and therefore only a half qualifier for the worlds),due to the Nif being just under 600, and James scoringless than 5160 points (just). No complaints about that.

However Maiyuran's L32 was not downgraded to a L64, because (despite the NIf being under 600) he scored over 3000 points for his result.

Therefore Maiyuran's L32 (20th place) is deemed to have exactly the same value as James' 10th place... why bother winning that L32 fight??

I think Maiyurans (excellent) result is worth a half qualifier, but on that basis surely James' result is worth a full qualifier. This seems to me to be a fatal flaw in the downgrading system..

Using this brilliant system, 9th place and 25th place at this reasonably strong event are considered to have exactly the same value with regard to worlds qualification.

Thoughts?

Tubby
-15th December 2007, 16:37
Thoughts?None that would not be moderated out. I suppose "daft" summarises it.

MatFink
-15th December 2007, 16:59
The line in the sand is 600 NIF.

The points allocation above or below gives a little flexibility in this measure.

In this case the flexibility benefited those with L32's but not with a L16.

The arguement is not should we allow the L16 as full qualifiers but whether or not the L32's should be ruled out.

James has a half qualifier via points and NIF.

Maiyuran has a half qualifier via points rather than NIF.

You have to draw a line somewhere.

If you draw it purely on NIF then we would only have one fencer with a half qualifier. The system is solid and has been for a number of years, it can be criticised as can any system, but ultimately if we are looking for medals in 2012 we should not be loosing sleep over qualifying for the worlds with criteria as low as 2 X L32, 1 X L16 with a reasonable check mark imposed against the level of the tournaments.

All that aside, well done boys, all this so far and many more years left.

Matt

Gangsta G
-16th December 2007, 10:38
As Matt says I suppose it is good to have more fencers closer to qualification. But it is a bit hard on James that his result is treated as the same as Maiyuran's as they clearly are not! (Not to take anything away from Maiyuran as it is a great result). Personally I think the worlds should be selected off the FIE ranking list, not the current qualification system, but hey that's another debate...

tigger
-16th December 2007, 11:34
I am not arguing for easing the qualifying standard. I am very confident that Glueboy will qualify for the Worlds, and it's not a comment designed to ease his path in any way.

I am simply stating that a fencer placed 9th and a fencer placed 25th have clearly not achieved the same standard, and should not be treated as if they have (which they would be under the current system). Whether this means downgrading both results, or downgrading neither, would be a matter for the international committee.

I feel that as well as being fairly tough, the criteria need to be simple, transparent, even-handed and logical.

The current system, as it stands for events just under the qualifying NIF, clearly is not.

I've emailed the international committee and asked that this be reviewed for next season.

Neil Brown
-16th December 2007, 22:35
I've seen the email for the IC obviously, we're having email discussion already.

For a result to count as a L32 qualifier in an event the points must be >3000. This is 600*5 (i.e. the multiplier for 32nd in an event with a NIF of 60 {*10 for an international event})

For a result to count as a L16 qualifier in any event the points must be >5160. This is 600*8.6 (i.e. the multiplier for 16th in an event with a NIF of 60)

So this means the 5160 is not an arbitary figure.

What this actually means is that it's not possible to get a L16 qualifier at an event with a NIF of less than 59. It's possible to get a L32 (i.e. half) qualifier at an event with a NIF as low as 54. (9th in an event with a NIF of 58 is 5140.4).

I'm not sure this exact scenario has happened since the qualifying rules were set as they are now. The previous version did not allow any qualifying results in an event with a NIF of < 600 I think.

Can we now have some constructive suggestions about how to make the system fairer without making qualificaton harder please.

And, of course... read & understand the rules before making any suggestions.

Any changes would obviously only apply for next season.