PDA

View Full Version : starting a club

natsgrant
-28th October 2003, 09:12
What if...?

There is NO fencing in Bosnia - at all. But Serbia and Croatia do.

Everyone is interested in fencing here (how to be popular in less than 2 minutes) and wants to try it. Various individuals are asking if I've come here to start a club (that'll be a laugh).

But I was wondering how one would go about it? In a hypothetical manner... I'm far too busy learning the language and trying to buy the right food in the shop.

Plus, if it was ever to happen it would take a whole lot of planning, funding, etc. But all tips would be hugely welcome!

This is a back-of-my-mind idea, so don't get too excited!

katie
-28th October 2003, 11:28
Perhaps Arturo could start one?

natsgrant
-28th October 2003, 12:35
not a chance! he has enough things to do. plus, i'm only finding out... don't want to put any ideas in his head (like they aren't there already!).

and why aren't you working? i have a stinking cold and am feeling sorry for myself.

katie, do you know how we'd go about doing it? can you ask keith or someone? hypothetical remember!

Laters
Natsx

symon
-28th October 2003, 13:19
well good luck Nats!! :) hope it works out for you!!

P.s. you've got more gut than me thats for sure!!

tigger
-28th October 2003, 14:05
Basics first:

Are you a coach or capable and willing to become one? If not you need a coach!! A well-located venue and basic kit. An idea of how to publicise and how many people you could cope with. Are you taking complete beginners and running courses or trying to attract people who already fence? or both? How much can you realistically charge in your locality? Does that add up with the numbers you want/expect, the venue cost , the coaches cost etc. Is there any funding available locally or nationally for what you'd like to do?

If there might be funding available I suggest you should research all the costs, how much kit you'd like to start with, where you see the club in 1 year, 3 years and 5 years, how the club will be attractive to potential memebrs, how you'll promote it etc, etc and then try to sell the idea to the funding authorities. If you have all the answers to hand you're far more convincing. even if the plan changes later it shouldn't matter too much. You just need some kind of convincing model to show them

Be prepared to work your ar*e off for no reward!!

Rdb811
-28th October 2003, 14:44
You don't need to be that good a coach or have moe than a little kit - whn GeryWhelan went to barbados, an American had set up a club a week before - I thik some of our old kit got sent out there and then they had enough moey to buy - but the beginners did footwork, mostly , for two months and were said to be much better for it.

katie
-29th October 2003, 11:12
Originally posted by natsgrant

katie, do you know how we'd go about doing it? can you ask keith or someone? hypothetical remember!

I will ask around for you.

Hope the cold gets better.

Katie.

katie
-29th October 2003, 11:26
Originally posted by katie
I will ask around for you.

Nats,

I've PMd you some email addresses.

Katie.

natsgrant
-29th October 2003, 11:32
Thanks for all your support/tips/ideas!

In terms of project management, I can do that bit. It's the simple essentials that I really need your help on.

Working arse off for no reward...? How motivational!

I think it'll be a good 6-9 months before I even start planning it. but I'll let you know how it goes. And I'm sure I'll be hassling you all for more ideas/research.

Thanks again
Nats (the mad fool)

Moose
-31st October 2003, 01:26
Footwork excercises are excellent in theory, however people can get fed up with them VERY quickly...

Tihon
-31st October 2003, 09:39
Nats,

I guess first you should check with the local authorities, such as Ministry of sports or something similar. I think they need to issue you a licence of some sort. And when finding a club you will need a statute, by all means. can see if I have an english version of ours, if so I will send you one.

cheers

Tihon

natsgrant
-31st October 2003, 10:51
thanks Tihon

i doubt we'll be doing anything for some time (12 months). maybe starting a class is a good idea (thanks katie) first.

but to be honest, we need to settle in. and we're definitely coming along to your club in zagreb. too lovely to miss.

hear you soon.
nats

natsgrant
-3rd November 2003, 07:44
Moose

A fencing club in Barbados?!

Do you have any details? Not wishful thinking... My parents are from there; I have dual nationality with the UK (birth) and Barbados (descent).

Next time I go visit my gran I could take my kit with me!

Nats

Rdb811
-3rd November 2003, 11:24
One of the treatham lot helped set it up when he was over there on a contract - i'll get details when I next see him - although I've promised to do this for somebody else.

Moose
-3rd November 2003, 17:56
Originally posted by natsgrant
Moose

A fencing club in Barbados?!

Do you have any details? Not wishful thinking... My parents are from there; I have dual nationality with the UK (birth) and Barbados (descent).

Next time I go visit my gran I could take my kit with me!

Nats

Errm I didnt say owt about a Barbados club...

natsgrant
-11th November 2003, 13:55
D'oh! Sorry for accusing you Moose.

Thanks Roger. I would love to hear from you with the details. I hope to get to Bim sometime next year. I will definitely be there in 2005 for my wedding, so might take my kit.

Sad. I know.

natsx