PDA

View Full Version : Forum descriptions - "Junior member"

wrinkly sabreur
-4th January 2008, 17:20
As a member of the category "Junior member", having contributed very little to the forum - partially because I had forgotten how to enter my pseudonym correctly and never seemed to have time to get it sorted (proves I'm a Vet!!) - I giggle every time I see that description.

The very fact that we are Vets - at least most contributing to this forum - means that "Junior member" is somewhat inappropriate. I know that is the done thing on such fora to classify people by the number of times they have contributed. Not sure why - does it make their contribution any less worthwhile, or well informed? That said how about something a little more appropriate or at least tongue in cheek than "Junior"?

It may be that the site is run from outside the fencing community with only some control exerted by our webmaster. In which case, one presumes it would not be possible to substitute another description meaning "one who is new to the forum".

Have only just had the idea and haven't come up with a suitable alternative. Have also been summoned to eat.

I'm sure there could be some amusing suggestions, even if they couldn't be implemented.

Might be worth a larf.

Cheers

WS.

kingkenny
-4th January 2008, 19:08
How about forum amature......

Stolen Time
-4th January 2008, 21:10
"Forum Amateur", OK, certainly better than "Junior Member"

But "Amateur" implies others are professionals and get paid.

I suggest "Inceptor", which I seem to remember is the Latin for "Beginner"? Or "Forum Inceptor" or (to avoid mixing assimilated and non-assimilated words) "Inceptor Fori"?

Tim S.

gbm
-4th January 2008, 23:07
Or just 'new' (if not chronologically then in posting terms)?

Captain Penguin
-5th January 2008, 17:22
Another forum I frequent uses "Newbie Loser". Would that do?

Ranks progress via "Loser" and "Regular" to "Verbose Git".

Joe Snr

Gav
-5th January 2008, 17:28
"Forum Amateur", OK, certainly better than "Junior Member"

But "Amateur" implies others are professionals and get paid.

I suggest "Inceptor", which I seem to remember is the Latin for "Beginner"? Or "Forum Inceptor" or (to avoid mixing assimilated and non-assimilated words) "Inceptor Fori"?

Tim S.

I think you might have missed the pun.

Rdb811
-5th January 2008, 19:07
Junior in the sense of not senior ? (e.g. audit junior - someone who shows iniative only when it is least required).

When did this change in meaning take place ?

Roach
-5th January 2008, 22:32

I think knowing stolen time you missed his joke ;)

Gav
-6th January 2008, 17:54
I think knowing stolen time you missed his joke ;)

In that case I raise you some stand-up and advance at least 3 carry on movies. I am sure you lot will know them better than I.

Stolen Time
-6th January 2008, 18:48

Ah. Yes. [Retires quietly]

Kenthegopher
-16th January 2008, 22:31
Virgin Member.

cesh_fencing
-16th January 2008, 23:00
Forum Rabbit - (to use a fencing term)

kingkenny
-17th January 2008, 08:23
Forum Rabbit
I like that.
Until something better comes we will go with that.

rory
-17th January 2008, 11:15
Not "Forum muppet" ?

Hungry Hippo
-17th January 2008, 13:50
Good work, KK, I've seen a couple of Forum Rabbits 'pop up' already on the forum, if you'll excuse the pun!

Incidentally, some members seem to have amended their description to one of their own preference, no longer shown as a member of any sort.

How does this happen, is it another priviledge of rank/time on the forum/ number of posts?

Meg_SF
-17th January 2008, 14:15
Forum Rabbit?! Forum RABBIT?!! I object ;-)

<Meg now scurries about posting in as many threads as possible... and then goes home to munch some lettuce..>

kingkenny
-18th January 2008, 07:55
Not to sure it might be a setting that when you get past 100 post you can change in your profile. PM someone who has had it changed.

IjC
-5th March 2008, 20:58
Forum Rabbit
I like that.
Until something better comes we will go with that.

I like it too. And we don't ever need to know how old the Rabbit is!