PDA

View Full Version : WS A Grade England Cup entry information

Cuppa
-10th January 2008, 12:22
BRITISH FENCING ASSOCIATION
THE ENGLAND TROPHY
WOMEN’S SABRE FIE "A" GRADE

The England Trophy is open to selected women sabreurs holding a British FIE licence.

1) Date: Saturday and Sunday 2nd and 3rd February 2008
2) Venue: Whitgift School Sports Centre, Haling Park, Nottingham Road, South Croydon, CR2 6YT
The nearest stations are South Croydon and East Croydon. From here take a taxi to Whitgift School.
The nearest airport is London Gatwick and from here take the train to East Croydon and then a taxi (40 minutes total).
If coming from London Heathrow, take the Piccadilly Underground line to Hammersmith, change on to the District line to Victoria and then take the train to East Croydon. The fare from Heathrow to East Croydon is £10. (London Victoria to East Croydon is 20 minutes.)
By car, from the M25 either take Junction 6 and then follow the A22 to Purley or take Junction 7 and take the A23 to Purley.
3) Organisers: John Ramsay. British Fencing Association
4) Entries: Must arrive by 17th January. (There will be a reserve list of entries so if you enter late you won’t be able to fence)

Send to: Beth Davidson, 45 Haughton Green, Darlington DL1 2DD
Email: Bethspeedy@aol.com

All entries must include a current FIE licence number. Fencers cannot compete without a valid FIE licence. Licenses can be obtained from British Fencing & you cannot be entered unless you have a valid FIE number (fencers can check these at www.fie.ch). Fencers will NOT be able to buy a licence at the competition.
Entries will be invited from the top 30 British fencers on the senior National rankings as at 1st January, this can be seen at www.sabrerankings.com. The top 20 British fencers will be guaranteed entry to the event (providing their entry is received by the closing date), up to another 6 may be allowed to fence depending on the entry numbers (local fencers are allowed to enter to make up even pools of 7 for the first round). Fencers who enter & are outside the top 20 can come to the event to be on a waiting list, we won’t know exactly how many can fence until the check-in time for the event.
A current entry list can be viewed on the British Fencing website or contact Beth Davidson, email Bethspeedy@aol.com

Please note all competitors must have their name on their jacket (colour & size must conform to FIE rules), regulation GB stripes on breeches are compulsory for the last 64. You should aim to get these organised before the competition, not on the day. You can see the approved strip at http://www.britishfencing.com/British_strip.jpg

5) Entry Fee: The entry fee is £15 (payable to: British Fencing) This will only be payable by fencers who actually compete in the event.
6) Formula: The competition will be fenced according to the official FIE formula.

7) Programme:

Friday:
19.00h Weapon Control opens at Croydon Hilton Hotel
22.00h Weapon Control closes at Croydon Hilton Hotel

Saturday:
10.00h Weapon Control opens at Venue
13.00h Latest time for reporting.
13.45h Referees Meeting
14.00h Start of pools.

Sunday:
09.15h Last 64 Tableau
13.00h Drinks reception - All fencers and officials are invited
14.00h Gala Final

8) Doping: Control will be carried out.
9) Publicity: The FIE Publicity Code will be strictly enforced.
10) FIE Rules: The Competition will run in accordance with the FIE Rules for Competitions. The Directoire Technique will, however, reserve the right to decide, without right of appeal, on any issues not covered by the FIE Rules or by these Rules.
11) Accommodation: Booking accommodation is your responsibility. The British Fencing Association cannot book hotels.

Special rates have been negotiated at the Event Hotel:

Hilton Croydon
Waddon Way
Purley Way
Croydon
CR9 4HH
Telephone: +44 (0)208 680 3000
Fax: +44 (0)208 681 6171
www.hilton.co.uk/croydon

Bed and Breakfast for a single room is £55 per night, or for a twin or double £65 per night. The hotel has a swimming pool and leisure centre.
Bookings must be made directly with the Hotel – ask for group reservations and quote FEN 020307 when making your reservation.

12) Transport:
A shuttle will run between the Croydon Hilton Hotel and the Venue before and after the event. After the Final on Sunday a bus will leave for Gatwick and Heathrow Airports.
Disclaimer: Please note all fencers and spectators participate at their own risk, and are personally responsible for their own safety. Spectators are admitted to the venue, and entries accepted, on the understanding that the British Fencing Association, the organising committee, the officials, the referees and the staff of the venue cannot accept responsibility for accidents, loss or damage to persons or property, however caused.

Volunteers: The event will need about 10 volunteers for scoring, timekeeping, etc. This is the best way to watch the top fencers in the World at close range. If you are able to help please fill in the form & send it back as detailed below. Please indicate if you can help on Saturday, Sunday or both.

This is an ideal opportunity for all fencers & coaches to see the level at the top of the World here in the UK, please make the most of it.

Cuppa
-10th January 2008, 12:47
British Fencing Association

London Womens Sabre A Grade 2nd / 3rd February 2008

England Cup

Venue: Whitgift School Sports Centre, Haling Park, Nottingham Road, South Croydon, CR2 6YT

British Rank Surname Forename Confirmed
1 1 BOND-WILLIAMS Louise - Y
2 2 HUTCHISON Joanna - Y
3 3 NICOLL Chrystall - Y
4 4 LACHETA Jessica - Y
5 5 ASHTON Jenna - Y
6 6 HENDRA Katie - Y
7 7 ROBERTS Kira - Y
8 8 HUTCHISON Jane
9 9 COLLIER Ellie
10 10 MCCOMBIE Maxine
11 11 CARSON Rebecca
12 12 GATHERCOLE Nicola
13 13 WILLIAMS Sophie - Y
14 14 STENNER Robynne
15 15 DAVIES Jessica
16 16 HULL Rosalind
17 17 BILARDI Angela
18 18 STILLEY Harriet
19 19 MCWILLIAMS Margaret
20 20 CHEATHAM Tonya
21 21 CREECHAN Louise
22 22 FAIRHEAD Helen - Waiting list
23 23 HUNTER-THOMAS Laura
24 24 ROBERTS Grace
25 25 DAVIDSON Beth
26 26 MOORHOUSE Alex
27 27 WATSON Alice
28 28 WADDINGTON Christie
29 29 WINCZA Claire
30 30 KERR Felicity

Entry confirmations to Beth Davidson email: bethspeedy@aol.com

Top 20 guaranteed a place until deadline
Fencers 21 - 30 in rankings need to confirm their intention to fence and will be placed on waiting list
Deadline 17th January 2008

Keith.A.Smith
-11th January 2008, 19:38
Dear WS fencers,

I hope we will have pour fulkl quota competing in the WS at Whitgift. Make sure you contact Beth Davidson asap and by the 17th Jan at the latest.

Best wishes,

Keith

randomsabreur
-12th January 2008, 17:11
21st should be OK, I won't be fencing as still broken! Will be there in a suit however, so see you there!

Cuppa
-13th January 2008, 12:12
Rank Surname Forename Confirmed
1 BOND-WILLIAMS Louise Yes
2 HUTCHISON Joanna Yes
3 NICOLL Chrystall Yes
4 LACHETA Jessica Yes
5 ASHTON Jenna Yes
6 HENDRA Katie Yes
7 ROBERTS Kira Yes
8 HUTCHISON Jane Yes
9 COLLIER Ellie Yes
10 MCCOMBIE Maxine Yes
11 CARSON Rebecca
12 GATHERCOLE Nicola
13 WILLIAMS Sophie Yes
14 STENNER Robynne Yes
15 DAVIES Jessica
16 HULL Rosalind No
17 BILARDI Angela Yes
18 STILLEY Harriet
19 MCWILLIAMS Margaret Yes
20 CHEATHAM Tonya
21 CREECHAN Louise Yes
22 FAIRHEAD Helen Waiting list
23 HUNTER-THOMAS Laura
24 ROBERTS Grace Waiting list
25 DAVIDSON Beth No
26 MOORHOUSE Alex
27 WATSON Alice
28 WADDINGTON Christie
29 WINCZA Claire
30 KERR Felicity

Cuppa
-16th January 2008, 21:40
Surname Forename Confirmed
1 BOND-WILLIAMS Louise Y
2 HUTCHISON Joanna Y
3 NICOLL Chrystall Y
4 LACHETA Jessica Y
5 ASHTON Jenna Y
6 HENDRA Katie Y
7 ROBERTS Kira Y
8 HUTCHISON Jane Y
9 COLLIER Ellie Y
10 MCCOMBIE Maxine Y
11 GATHERCOLE Nicola Y
12 WILLIAMS Sophie Y
13 STENNER Robynne Y
14 BILARDI Angela Y
15 MCWILLIAMS Margaret Y
16 CHEATHAM Tonya Y
17 CREECHAN Louise Y
18 FAIRHEAD Helen Y
19 HUNTER-THOMAS Laura
20 ROBERTS Grace Y

31 Murphy Charlotte Waiting list
34 Kempe Katherine Waiting list

frog
-18th January 2008, 14:26
Does anyone have a list of foreign entries for the England Cup yet? I'm guessing it's going to be pretty big - first World Cup in the Olympic year and all!?

Cuppa
-18th January 2008, 15:49
The closing date for all entries to the FIE is the 26th January, so BF should have the total entry list after that!

Cuppa
-18th January 2008, 15:54
I would like to remind fencers that changes to the entry list can be made prior to the FIE deadline without penalty. After that date, fencers who withdraw will have to provide a doctors note or a very good documented reason, eg. flight cancelled, natural disaster, act of god! Otherwise it will be a €150 fine.

Beth

fa266
-28th January 2008, 08:13
132 entries with 27 out of the top 30 coming…WOAH!

Tech
-30th January 2008, 08:20
Entry is really strong:

Name nation Rank
TAN Xue CHN 1
WARD Rebecca USA 2
ZAGUNIS Mariel USA 3
MARZOCCA Gioia ITA 5
JACOBSON Sada USA 6
JOZWIAK Bogna POL 9
SOCHA Aleksandra POL 10
BIANCO Ilaria ITA 11
TOUYA Anne-Lise FRA 12
ZHAO Yuanyuan CHN 13
CHOW Tsz Ki HKG 14
NAGY Orsolya HUN 15
PERRUS Leonore FRA 16
VERGNE Carole FRA 17
LEE Shin Mi KOR 18
ARGIOLAS Cecile FRA 19
WOZNIAK Dagmara USA 20
KHOMROVA Olena UKR 21
KIM Keum Hwa KOR 22
LUCCHINO Aless. ITA 23
BENITEZ Alejandra VEN 24
HUANG Haiyang CHN 25
NAKAYAMA Seira JPN 26
KIM Hye Lim KOR 27
BUJDOSO Alex. GER 28
SASSINE Sandra CAN 29
KHARLAN Olga UKR 30
KUBISSA Stefanie GER 31
WIECKOWSKA I POL 32
BOND-WILLIAMS L. GBR 34
CSABA Edina HUN 35
MARY Solenne FRA 36
HISAGAE Madoka JPN 37
KANEKO Sakura JPN 38
BAO Yingying CHN 40
VECCHI Irene ITA 41
SZNOPEK Gabriella HUN 42
ZHU Min CHN 43
THOMPSON Caitlin USA 44
NAKAMURA Haruko JPN 47
PETO Reka HUN 49
OVTCHINNIKOVA O CAN 50
KLEMM Sibylle GER 51
AU YEUNG Wai S HKG 54
BARATTA Emma USA 55
SASCHENBRECKER CAN 56
CLOUTIER Julie CAN 59
HUTCHISON Joan. GBR 60
GULOTTA Loreta ITA 61
PUNDYK Galyna UKR 62
NAVARRO Araceli ESP 65
NICOLL Chrystall GBR 66
VLOKA Caroline USA 73
BENKO Reka HUN 75
AN Mi Ae KOR 76
BERTHIER A FRA 79
DI TRANSO Irene ITA 81
JOHANNSDOTTIR G ISL 82
BIESINGER Tamara GER 83
JUNG Eun Hee KOR 85
LARIOS Angelica MEX 86
DANION Marie-Ca FRA 87
BUCCIONE Franc. ITA 88
BERENGIER Julie FRA 91
ZHOVNIR Olga UKR 92
GONZALEZ POZO CUB 93
YUAN Tingting CHN 97
GOSHER Shelley RSA 105
CHICHON Vanesa ESP 118
POSTIGLIONE M ITA 119
HAENTZSCH D GER 121
LACHETA Jessica GBR 122
FRANQUELLI J PHI 124
ZHIVITSA Yulia KAZ 125
SIUKAYEVA Janna AZE 126
TSCHOMAKOV M GER 127
BROOKS Jessica AUS 128
KERECSENYI G HUN 129
CASARES Natalia ESP 131
TRICARICO M ITA 134
LIM Nona Yean SIN 136
PAGANO Rosanna ITA 137
VILA Laia ESP 139
ALASGAROVA Aida AZE 143
MARCOS Sandra ESP 146
POUTEIL-NOBLE E FRA 149
BEKTURGANOVA A KAZ 151
MIKINA Sabina AZE 157
ASHTON Jenna GBR 165
JEANNY Caroline FRA 167
JEAN BAPTISTE A FRA 170
ELEFANTE Roberta ITA 172
PRESSMAR Julia GER 173
FAIRHEAD Helen GBR 176
BILARDI Angela GBR 177
ROBERTS Kira GBR 178
ALVAREZ Katiuska ESP 181
MAIER Diana GER 186
HENDRA Katie GBR 192
HIRZMANN Davina GER 193
AGUSTSDOTTIR T ISL 197
BUNYATOVA Sevil AZE 204
GATHERCOLE N GBR 209
CHEATHAM Tonya GBR 213
SAJEWICZ Izabela POL 221
RUIZ Miriam ESP 223
LUPIEN Katy CAN 225
BISCHOF Sophia GER 233
SAWORSKI Donna CAN 238
STENNER Robynne GBR 242
SCHNEIDER Daria USA 249
KIM Sun Hee KOR 256
WIND Marion FRA 264
COLLIER Ellie GBR 273
HUTCHISON Jane S GBR 276
CREECHAN Louise GBR 278
ROBERTS Grace GBR 283
MURPHY Charlotte GBR 285
MCCOMBIE Maxine GBR 291
MCWILLIAMS M GBR 333
VAN STAADEN C ITA 342
AKSAMIT Monica USA
BAEZA Marta ESP
KEMPE Katherine GBR
MUHAMMAD Ibtihaj USA
VRTISKOVA Nikola CZE

Keith.A.Smith
-30th January 2008, 20:37
Dear All,

Good luck to all our GBR fencers this weekend at the WS.

Best wishes,

Keith

psmith
-2nd February 2008, 08:30
Live results will be found throughout this weekend at www.fencingresults.net/live (http://www.fencingresults.net/live)

Gangsta G
-2nd February 2008, 11:40
Live results will be found throughout this weekend at www.fencingresults.net/live (http://www.fencingresults.net/live)I've only got a list of fencers - presumably this is the same for everyone else?

psmith
-2nd February 2008, 12:32
I've only got a list of fencers - presumably this is the same for everyone else?

Yep. The competition doesn't start until 2pm. Poules will be up soon.

AussieMongrel
-2nd February 2008, 13:06
We hey Tonya from City just beat a Canadian Sandra Sassine 5 - 1 way to go Tonya.

AussieMongrel
-2nd February 2008, 13:22
Sandra Sassine is 29th in the world.... Lets hope Tonya can keep it up. I can almost here Septic Belgian cheering from the side.

Gangsta G
-2nd February 2008, 16:13
All of the 9 GBR girls who made the cut are through to the 2nd round of DE (which I think is the proper L64, including the top 16 from the world rankings and the top 16 after the poules, to be fenced tomorrow?)

Mr long sword
-2nd February 2008, 19:33
Well done to all the girls who made it through to the L64.
Miss Kira Roberts....! Well done

hokers
-2nd February 2008, 21:03
4 GBR women through to L64:

Nicoll vs #1 TAN (CHN) 09:15
Hutchison vs #5 SOCHA (POL) 09:15
Bond-Williams vs #28 KANENKO (JPN) 09:15
Hendra vs #2 WARD (USA) 10:15

Good luck for tomorrow, we'd all love to see you beat some of the big names!

hokers
-3rd February 2008, 10:04
Nicoll got 10 off world #1 and Olympic silver medalist Tan, which I think deserves congratulations.

Hutchison and Bond-Williams both went through (Jo knocking out world #10 in the process) but then met in the L32. Louise wins 15-14 to make the L16 and faces the winner of AU YEUNG (HKG) and PERRUS (FRA).

Hendra lost to world #2 Rebecca Ward, great experience

Congratulations to all, and good luck to Louise, for the rest of the day

Red
-3rd February 2008, 19:24
Only LBW and Jojo in GB rankings points paying positions at 15th and 32nd respectively. Unfortunate for Katie and Chrystall being 63rd and 64th with the points cut-off at 61st.

rpryer
-3rd February 2008, 20:39
Full results on the FIE site (http://www.fie.ch/Competitions/ResultsList.aspx?Key=4D8CFDBF514AC66DD79DEB6631453 3E5)

Gangsta G
-4th February 2008, 13:03
Has anyone seen any coverage in today's newspapers?

tigger
-4th February 2008, 14:06
I thought this year's event was well run and nicely presented.

The MASK screens etc added a very professional look, and the new coloured carpets looked great.

Overall decent GB results - Jojo's win over Socha was outstanding. Just a shame she and Louise met in the 32. Chrytsall's fight with Tan was also good, and closer than the 15-10 score suggests, as Chrsytall was VERY unlucky on 3 tempo calls in the second half.

Someone has to say it: the food at the reception was perhaps not a great advert for British cuisine...!

Andy
-4th February 2008, 16:29
Unfortunate for Katie and Chrystall being 63rd and 64th with the points cut-off at 61st.

Is that domstic points you're talking about? They both get 2 FIE points as far as I understand it.

A.

Red
-4th February 2008, 17:04
Yes, as said in the bit of the post you didn't quote :rolleyes:

UglyBug
-4th February 2008, 22:24
I agree with tigger about the food... And more importantly how well presented it was. But tigger did forget to point out how good one of the referee's legs were, considering they only come out once in a blue moon...

Seriously, now I've got over the adrenaline, I can appreciate how amazing it was to have such a strong cadre of competitors in one place. To mention a few stand out performances... Jojo v socha, cheatham v sassine, kk v baeza, nicholl v tan,hendra in the preliminary 64, argiolas of France most of the second day... All of the referees whose only aim is to incite indifference and some of whom have not been qualified long enough to have seen a competition of this standard before.

My only question of anyone... What was the bfa press officer doing? How was this publicised? If at all?

Hungry Hippo
-5th February 2008, 08:34
Has anyone seen any coverage in today's newspapers?

There was one column inch in yesterday's Daily Telegraph, which named only the winner and LBW as highest placed Brit.

The DT is often the only national to carry fencing results, but, as inferred by earlier posts, this is just not good enough for a competition of this calibre.

pigeonmeister
-5th February 2008, 10:11
What was the publicity like for the actual competition? Did large posters encourage the public to come and watch such a high level of fencing- was this successful? How many spectators attended? I have no idea- I am just asking.

If not, can we expect the large broadsheets to take an interest if the non fencing public don't- that is, after all, their audience. The media will pick up on public interest in a sport. Or they will pick up on individual British success-and this will galvanise public interest.

The US media are taking a much much wider interest in WS in the Olympics this year because the US is going to do very well. It's going to get lots of columns and inches and lots more tv coverage than usual.

Regardless of BF's PR machine, our media won't care until we start winning medals.

Hungry Hippo
-5th February 2008, 17:34
Regardless of BF's PR machine, our media won't care until we start winning medals.

Don't think that comes into it - after yesterday's (very) short report in the Daily Telegraph, the result was carried in today's edition. The top six, plus the two top Brits at 15 and 32.

However, if you look just above the results for Fencing in this paper, you will find the results for Fell Running.......four competitions worth of results, and they are there in their entirety every Tuesday.

Now you can't tell me that Fell Running has a bigger profile than the Fencing, or has more regular competitors. Don't remember seeing it in the Olympics, or on television even.

No, its just got a good PR department (person?), while the BFA hasn't.

The Slough Open, there's a big tournament for you, certainly one of the top ten competitions in this country, but were there any results in the national press? No!

But if you want to know who came third in the women at the Mickleden Straddle, the distance they went, and the ascent, it is all there for the general public to see.

The BFA should be sending results and write-ups for almost EVERY competition to ALL the National papers, but I suspect this won't happen until the PR department changes....or they the employ the PR man from the Fell Running National Association!

Ronald Velden
-5th February 2008, 20:53
I think that you are a little unfair, because I contacted today the Daily Telegraph about Camden Internationaland the lady at the sports desk knew immediately who is Britain's spokesman for fencing without any prompting from me.

The sad fact is that fencing is an unrated sport both by media and for that
matter most sporting agencies.

I don't think that the BBC bothered to show any fencing at the Athens Olympics and that is hardly the fault of BFA.

Also I had lunch last year with the Chief Executive of Sports England after
fencing was dropped from the list of Sports, which they were to fund centrally. I can assure you that over a three hours lunch they were fully
briefed about the sport and its potential, but I am afraid that had absolutely
no impact on that Organization's thinking.

Frankly we need to start producing on a regular basis world class results before anyone is going to take notice.

For the record I think that it is highly likely that Fell Running is a larger
sport than fencing and it is of course linked in with athletics which is a
high profile and televised sport.

pigeonmeister
-5th February 2008, 21:08
I For the record I think that it is highly likely that Fell Running is a larger sport than fencing and it is of course linked in with athletics which is a high profile and televised sport.

Wikipedia states that the Fellrunning Association publishes between 400-500 races a year in its calender. I have no doubt that for many in Northern England, especially, it is a more visible and culturally resonant sport.

We need medals- people won't care untill then.

rugmike
-6th February 2008, 08:26
I think it's the great photo's - all those shots of the runner pounding up rocky crags, obviously fighting terminal exhaustion, sweat pouring down the face, with a backdrop of dramatic mountains shrouded in mist.

" The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner ", etc....