PDA

View Full Version : Welsh open

Mantis
-29th October 2003, 12:03
I see that on the entry form for the Welsh open it asks for 02/03 ranking. Not having a ranking before, I have a couple of simple questions.

What ranking list should I use? 1 September 2003 or some other list?

Does it really matter for me? I suspect they will only seed top 50 or top 100 fencers. (My ranking on 1 September 2003 is joint 182)

Thanks.

whizzkid1982
-29th October 2003, 12:11
they should seed everyone who gives a ranking.they also should use the latest ranking list to seed the comp. they prob just want an idea of where to look in the rankings for your name.

Boo Boo
-29th October 2003, 12:20
As far as I am aware, they seed all fencers that have a ranking.

They should be using the 1st November rankings to seed the competition.

Boo

tigger
-31st October 2003, 09:21
The 02/03 ranking is used to work out the NIFF (the top 50 on sep 1st),

Boo Boo
-31st October 2003, 09:33
Sorry, yes:
- Nov 1st rankings to seed the competition; and
- 1st Sept (Aug?) or 1st Mar rankings to work out the NIFF for the competition (the NIFF rankings are calculated twice a year - Mar and Aug I think...)

Boo

tigger
-31st October 2003, 09:45
It's the rankings on Sep 1st and March 1st

Prometheus
-31st October 2003, 10:00
It's the rankings on Sep 1st and March 1st

Pedant.

Boo Boo
-31st October 2003, 10:16
Yes, of course you are right: September is 6 Months after March - either I have lost the ability to count or I don't know my calendar... :o

This bodes well for the weekend... :(

Boo

Mantis
-3rd November 2003, 08:30
I posted my entry at the end of last week but I was told by the post office that the strike is affecting Cardiff so it is unlikely to have arrived before the closing date. Is there any way I can find out, before travelling the length of the country, whether I will be able to compete or not? I have tried sending an email to the address I found on the Welsh Fencing web page but I haven't had a reply yet.

(Obviously, don't post anyone's personal contact details here)

tigger
-3rd November 2003, 10:22
Pedant
But correct :grin:

Good point about the entries for the Welsh Mantis. I hadn't thought of that one! Oh well, if it hasn't arrived it'll just be a case of watching the rugby quarter finals instead...;)

Mantis
-3rd November 2003, 10:58
Originally posted by tigger
Good point about the entries for the Welsh Mantis. I hadn't thought of that one! Oh well, if it hasn't arrived it'll just be a case of watching the rugby quarter finals instead...;)

True, but I would prefer to be able to find out without driving 3 hours there and 3 hours back. :kit:

I imagine that most organised people, who got their entries in in good time, are OK, but for the rest of us ...

hokers
-3rd November 2003, 12:05
me too.

There are contact details on www.welshfencing.org but not of the organiser himself. Worth a try?

Incidentally, are Leon Paul going to be taking their stand along? Might see if I can get them to bring some sabre lames for me to try.

hokers

PM1
-3rd November 2003, 17:55
LP are usually there. And Boy's entry form didn't go off until Thursday........will try and contact via the club site.....

srb
-7th November 2003, 17:27
If any one needs directions see:

www.sports-council-wales.co.uk/wis/wislocation_new.htm

srb

Jambo
-9th November 2003, 17:24
Anyone know the sabre results?

hokers
-9th November 2003, 20:02
No better than last year for me I'm afraid :( 35th + the upsets.

I reckon half the top 50 were there, just from the names I could remember. Ended up being 63 entries I believe.

hokers

(didnt fence that bad in the poule but fenced badly in a DE that could have gone either way I reckon :( )

PM1
-9th November 2003, 22:52
Didn't check the sabre (today) but Boo Boo came third yesterday!!! Well done you !!!

Peanut_UK
-10th November 2003, 10:18
Yeah - good effort Boo Boo!

But I bet you entered under Bath Sword, didn't you... ;)

Peanut

tigger
-10th November 2003, 10:22
Men's Sabre
1. Chris Buxton
2. Stu Watson
3. Mike Johnson
3. Dom Flood
5. Chris Farren

Not sure about the rest (i was 9th...pants again!)

W Sabre
1. Jo Hutchison
2. Jessica Lacheta
3. Beth Davidson
3. Jacqui Esimaje

Dunno the rest, cept that Emma Hynes, Roz Hull, Sarah Ellis were in the L8

Boo Boo
-10th November 2003, 10:30

Am paying for it now though (my bad hip has seized up rather stiffly since :( - probably nothing to do with my attempted splits though :o ). Still, I have quite a bit of video footage, so I can see what to work on for next time - which is great :)

Thanks Peanut_UK - I was grateful for the support of the Swindon contigent :) (despite me not entering under the club...)

Boo
(I will learn not to scream, I will learn not...)

haggis
-10th November 2003, 11:12
Sorry (?) to hear that having edged out the littlest Scot, Boo boo was finally taken out by her big pal. Little Scot seems to mistakenly believe that De fights only go to 14 (Nationals, Essex and now Welsh). She blames her coach...

Mens foil and epee results anyone?

Peanut_UK
-10th November 2003, 11:17
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Thanks Peanut_UK - I was grateful for the support of the Swindon contigent :) (despite me not entering under the club...)

No problem (on behalf of El Presidente and Spirall333)! :D

Shame I couldn't be there this weekend though (although from what I hear, the Swindoners that were there didn't fare too well. Having said that, 2 of them have only been fencing a year..).

Boo Boo
-10th November 2003, 11:17
Yeah, it is a classic case of "don't beat-up little people, since their tall, strong (left-handed) pal is waiting for you round the corner...." :(

Wish that little Scot thought that DE fights on went up to 5 ;) (would have been a lot less worn out!)

Personally, I think that all fights from at least L8 onwards should have a VISIBLE clock running next to the piste :(

Boo

haggis
-10th November 2003, 11:20
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Personally, I think that all fights from at least L8 onwards should have a VISIBLE clock running next to the piste :(

Boo

I get the feeling there's a story attached to this comment.

Boo Boo
-10th November 2003, 11:20
Men's foil:
1st James Beevers
2nd Jamie Kenber
3rd= Keith Cook
3rd= ?
L8 Louis Arron, Kola, Sam Johnson, ?

Boo

Boo Boo
-10th November 2003, 11:25
Originally posted by haggis
I get the feeling there's a story attached to this comment.

Slow, careful, cautious fight... (yes, it was me fencing!): 8 each, in final period, I loose a hit (9:8 down), ask for time - 3 seconds left!!! Manage to score two off targets in that 3 seconds (one was off/on), but no hit - so loose 9:8 on time. I Should have been more aware of the time at 8:8 (no clock being used to count down time on the piste). :(

Still, you live and learn :)

Boo

haggis
-10th November 2003, 11:35
Oops.

9-8 at time sounds like either a thrilling tactical battle or very dull indeed depending on your point of view (from my viewpoint in Edinburgh I have to go for the latter;) )

Boo Boo
-10th November 2003, 11:44
I seem to remember moving quite a lot (and getting quite a few off-targets! :( ), but also being a bit tired at that point (something to do with a little Scot with far too much energy, movement and grit determination.... I blame her coach for that ;) ).

Boo

haggis
-10th November 2003, 11:50
Yeah, she is a bit of a hyper-active menace. Can't really accept much blame/credit for that.

rory
-10th November 2003, 11:59
So... what *were* the lades foil results?
Only additional result I know is Rob Anderson got an 8 in MS.

Boo Boo
-10th November 2003, 12:04
Ok...

1st Camy Datoo
2nd Anna Bentley (from 16th seed!)
3rd= Julia Day
3rd= Lois Chang
L8 - Hannah Byars, Kirsten Sadler, Patsy Hunt, and ? (Nicola Brogan maybe?)
9th = Debbie Kershaw

haggis
-10th November 2003, 12:06
Anna beat Debbie in L16?

Boo Boo
-10th November 2003, 12:09
Yes, they were 12:12 on time (do you see a pattern here...?). Debbie got priority, Anna attacked, Debbie countered (13:12).

Anna was fencing well - got some really nice hits (and probably received some really nasty bruises...) against Camy too (in what I saw of the final - was getting changed).

Boo

haggis
-10th November 2003, 12:14
Bit of a breakthrough win for Anna against Debbie. Anna mentioned that until this season she'd never scored more than half a dozen hits against Debbie in a DE. I blame her coach...

A happy Haggis :grin:

ChubbyHubby
-10th November 2003, 14:12
Bit of a breakthrough win for Anna against Debbie.

Having an ex-Olympian (Conrad) for a boyfriend must help. She fences more and more like him these days...

BooBoo ordered the wrong number off the takeaway menu I'm afraid. May she needed a "highel lanking" fencer.

:o

Boo Boo
-10th November 2003, 14:15
Excuse Chubby, well overdue for a sense of humour transplant... :(

Boo
(hoping that last post might get moderated for bad taste - not sure that everyone would be aware that Chubby was taking the Mickey out of himself and not anybody else...)

Prometheus
-10th November 2003, 14:19
I got it! Very good.......I shall refrain from joining in the humour though as I am sure I can be excesively tasteless compared to C.H

ChubbyHubby
-10th November 2003, 14:46
moderated for bad taste

is that for being too sweet or too sour?

okay, I'll stop now ...

...or BooBoo will give me a Chinese burn when I get home...

:tongue:

Boo Boo
-10th November 2003, 14:48
... No, but I might trade you in for a plate of Dim Sum (now that would be a good swap...)

srb
-10th November 2003, 14:53
sweet!

ChubbyHubby was so nervous his hands were shaking. It was SO sweet!!!

But on second thoughts I suppose it could of been sweat!

srb

Prometheus
-10th November 2003, 14:56
As Homer Simpson might say - Doh te - CH tai tai

srb
-11th November 2003, 12:54
Results are up.

http://www.britishfencing.com/welshopen03.html

srb

Prometheus
-11th November 2003, 13:11
Well done SRB............. way higher than Dr Q I see.

whizzkid1982
-11th November 2003, 13:36
Originally posted by srb
Results are up.

http://www.britishfencing.com/welshopen03.html

srb

thats a huge improvement over the welsh which seemed to take ages. well done that person (sorry not to name you but i don't know who is responsible for doing it.)

MatFink
-19th November 2003, 01:32
2 Apocalypse Brothers in the L8 of the Welsh Open. Run in fear the end is nigh

No I'm serious :endworld: