PDA

View Full Version : Name Your Injuries

Pages : [1] 2

uk_45
-31st October 2003, 16:38
Hey right i've thought of a good thread topic. It's a list where you can name the best ingury (if that is possibly) or the one you are most proud of!

I'll start i guess my worse is proberbly a bruise going up my back and onto the back of my head from a rather flicky blade. I didnt get a ingury from this one (some how) but when fencing sabre sum nice guy aka pete did a point attack to the throat and nearly broke the blade, when he took it away it was bent at 90 degrees.

alec frenzy
-31st October 2003, 19:25
I would recommend the injury suffered by one of the iranian/dutch fencers, think it might have been at the Boston A grade -

Ruptured T/A

Apparently the scream echoed thought the hall...

tigger
-1st November 2003, 13:36
The 5th metatarsal in my right foot was broken when a fat guy lunged on top of it. I wasn't impressed.....

I was fencing in a Cornwall team with Rob Bruniges 3 years ago (Against the Navy) when he lunged and ripped all the soft tissue away from his pelvis....oooouuuuch. Never seen anyone in so much pain. He got carted off to hospital and operated on the same day!

Hudson
-1st November 2003, 15:40
for men the most painful was when i ripped a tendon of the bone in my groin. OUCHHHHHH

Though i have been told a few years ago i managed to break a guys rib. SORRY

Marcos
-3rd November 2003, 09:07
Originally posted by Hudson
for men the most painful was when i ripped a tendon of the bone in my groin. OUCHHHHHH

Though i have been told a few years ago i managed to break a guys rib. SORRY

snap

(if you pardon the play on words)

did the same at the age of 20 - could not fence or play footie for half a year

hokers
-3rd November 2003, 12:12
Had a broken blade go through my jacket aged about 16. Just flicked through it ever so slightly as it snapped as my opponent fleched past me. Didnt even realise until I took my jacket off at the end and had blood all over my tshirt. Have quite a cool 1cm scar now near my bellybutton.

Probably the worst actual injury was standing on a spool as I retreated and twisting my ankle though. Very painful (despite some excellent first aid) couldnt fence for 3 weeks or so. Oh and one time I got hit hard across the thumb at sabre, was painful for about 3 months!

Mostly little bruises or slight muscle strains though, despite how much I complain about it :D

Gav
-3rd November 2003, 13:05
Let's see.

The most memorable one I've got is a cavalary sabre scar on my right hand from working on a re-enactment routine with a mate of mine.

Tarmac
-3rd November 2003, 13:31
i slipped on the changing room floor of the gym the other day...:tongue:

Moose
-4th November 2003, 04:25
My worst injury isnt fencing related, but reenactment related. I broke my nose when I got shield bashed by a Norman during the Hastings reenactment a couple of years back.

bucket
-4th November 2003, 10:03
got a good one.

sitting beside piste at training - Fencer A fleches, misses and trips. His steam foil blade goes into left eye.

not a problem having been blind in that eye since birth.

didn't hurt- much. (really)

Marcos
-4th November 2003, 11:01
crikey

which reminds me of a couple of near misses

whilst watching Sykes fencing at the 5 Nations , his mask clip whisked off, flew through the air at 100 mph, and hit the top of my head.
I had just ducked in time as it was heading for my face.

another one was at Hamlet, where some blokes sabre snapped at the hilt whilst parrying an attack . The blade cartwheeled across the hall before landing at David Sach's feet

Rdb811
-4th November 2003, 11:07
I once had a sabre balde break at the hilt and tumble through the air into a crowd of beginners.

Marcos
-4th November 2003, 11:47
I've said it before, but go to a sabre comp and the air is filled with mask clips flying around like so much chain-shot.
Has anyone ever done any testing as to the likelyhood of injury from these things striking you in the face?

is there alternative technology, or a way to prevent it happening?
or am I getting overly cautious?

whtouche
-4th November 2003, 18:59
Id say you're being overly cautious. From all the broken sabre blades that go whirring around the room, and all the mask cords that go flying, I've only seen maybe one person get hit by such objects.

Well, two if you count my own blade hitting me. Took a parry against a particularly brutal fencer, my blade spun about 7 feet straight up in the air, and came down on my shoulder.
Barely felt it, but observors seemed concerned at the time.

Rdb811
-4th November 2003, 19:25
From a conversation with three grognards at the club with about 100 years exprience between them, they'd seen a total of three minor accidents to ref, spectators etc involving flyibg kit (and none to fencers).

Moose
-4th November 2003, 23:49
Heh, funniest one I know is where my coach ws fencing epee, it was 4-4, his oppenent hit to groin, but couldnt get enought pressure to score, so he kept prodding, in his wild flailing my coach caught him on his shoulder and scored the final poing.

pinkelephant
-5th November 2003, 12:18
I've seen the broken end of an epee blade fly through the air and stick in someone's leg on the next piste. Freaky.:transport

Moose
-6th November 2003, 03:13
Ouchie, I've seen an epee break and penetrate a jacket sleeve, luckily it didnt penetrate the fencer too...

Marcos
-6th November 2003, 08:14
but to anyone reading this thinking of taking up the sport - it is safe, really!

Moose
-6th November 2003, 10:44
Yeah, the pissups are deadly tho... :grin:

uk_45
-6th November 2003, 10:49
Yeah the sport is fun really andyou get to hit people with SWORDS!!!!!! You can't beat it!!!!

Tarmac
-6th November 2003, 14:45
but you can beat other people!:tongue:

Moose
-6th November 2003, 20:14
Well he tries, bless him :grin:

Moose
-6th November 2003, 20:29
Weirdly enough I've avoided injuries pretty well, despite the number of times I've crashed my bike. It seems to have translated over to fencing.

Tarmac
-6th November 2003, 20:35
funny whenever i crash a bike it always seems to add to my particular injury at the time... although have been dubbed captain Scarlet due to my amazing ability to bounce!

Moose
-6th November 2003, 20:38
Heh, I bounced along a central reservation after misjudging a corner having come off a roundabout at about 80. Had some nice road rash, but otherwise was fine :)

Tarmac
-6th November 2003, 20:42
ahhh jeez thats gotta sting!!
my latest one involved going along happily about 50 when some moron came out of a one way junction and stopped in the middle of the road... killed my bike... the s*d.

Moose
-6th November 2003, 20:55
Mmmmm, black BMW's have a habit of doing silly things like that in front of me. I get really nervous whenever I see em now.

Tarmac
-6th November 2003, 20:57
poxy rover metros nearly ruined my fencing career... and always but always driven by brummies going the wrong way... no offence to brummies but its just the way it is.;)

uk_45
-7th November 2003, 16:35
Well I never knew there where so many spool related injuries

Moose
-8th November 2003, 04:31
I've had a spoon related injury....

Tarmac
-8th November 2003, 13:46
oh god.. i'm going to regret this but... what and how?

Moose
-8th November 2003, 21:38
I spooned it on black ice :grin:

Tarmac
-9th November 2003, 21:51
groan...:eek:

Moose
-10th November 2003, 00:28
Was really annoyed cos its the only time that bike had ever touched the deck and it cracked the fairing :(

uk_45
-20th November 2003, 21:14
Ok ive got a new one. Steping backwards in our hall. Stepped back hit the piano and fell on the keys a very musical mistake.

ceprab
-21st November 2003, 08:57
Sorry, I've tried;

My typical epee scars inside my right elbow are called Ben and Dave.

:tongue:

uk_45
-21st November 2003, 09:55
Ok Ok i would have thought fred would have been a good name to.

uk_45
-21st November 2003, 10:17
Hey Gav don't spose you can move this thread to Off Piste can you. Thanks

xcr
-23rd November 2003, 04:34
my only real fencing injury happend shortly after I started fencing, when both me and my opponent lunged at the same time, after which my forfinger was jammed between the guards (I still dont know why my finger was in such a position as to get cauget their, but it was. It swelled up to swice its normal size.
I also once got my ankel cought in the gutter when walking away from a fencing club, and twisted it badly enough that when I was nought easy on it it hurt fot the next 2 or 3 weeks.

whatever
-23rd November 2003, 12:30
:lolbash: :robinhood :dammachin :fencingsm
hi..here again!

Moby
-24th November 2003, 17:17
I damaged my cruciate ligament in my left leg... originally from playing street hockey about 2 years earlier, but I fully ripped it whilst fencing. Not sure how exactly, but I must have slightly twisted my foot whilst recovering quickly from a lunge...

It was at the Essex in 2001 - couldn't even finish my fight - I was on 14 hits, and I only needed one more hit... I did try to stand and do the hit after my 10 minutes sit down on piste with the St. john's people (who advised me not to carry on if it hurt, but you know being a sabreur and all...)

I needed surgery and was extremely lucky to get it operated on a month later by the same surgeon that did Laurence Dallaglio's surgery (well done England!). Took almost a year and many boring hours of physio and gym work beforeI could start doing any proper sports and get back into fencing, and to be honest, it was really 2 years (this summer jsut gone!) that I really felt like my knee was back to normal with no niggles. I do have to admit that power for my lunge (I'm right handed) sometimes feels lacking, so more gym work for me! But I shouldn't complain, as the first thing the surgeon warned me was that there was a risk I'd never be able to do anything tasking for my knees again (no fencing... :( )

Bar that, I've not really had so many injuries whilst fencing, but then sabre is gentler that foil and epee... :grin:

Marcos
-25th November 2003, 08:40
a year ago the top foilist at our club tore the ligaments in his calf - the metallic piste was not secured, he went to step lunge and his back foot gave way - a year later he hasn't fenced since

Moby
-25th November 2003, 14:41
Has this foilist got a chance of recovery?

Marcos
-25th November 2003, 17:13
should be fencing in the next 3 months - lesson being, if a metallic piste doesn't look safe, don't fence on it!

stevejackson
-25th November 2003, 20:45
Marcus, As someone who regularly puts out metalic pistes I'd be interested in what type of piste this was, how it was secured, and how it should have been secured.

Normally the pannel style are just linked together and left, the mesh ones unrolled and taped to the floor with gaffa tape and although they can ruck up a bit they seem safe.

Marcos
-26th November 2003, 08:25
Originally posted by stevejackson
the mesh ones unrolled and taped to the floor with gaffa tape and although they can ruck up a bit they seem safe.

Steve,
It was a copper mesh piste that was secured poorly leading to the rucking effect you describe.

If you have any suggestions as to how to tape these pistes down maybe worth jotting them down. I have been to a few comps where the tape just doesn't do the job of securing the piste in place.

jasonf
-26th November 2003, 12:20
There is an interesting article on statistical analysis of fencing injuries which shows that injuries due to pistes are commoner than you might think :
http://www.exra.org/FencingChptr.htm
(see section 5.2)

Personally my worst fencing injury lies definitely in the 'Equipment & Facilities - Other' category. I managed to gash my hand on the sharp edge of the cup I'd won, whilst walking home from the venue.

:dizzy:

Moby
-26th November 2003, 13:34
I believe there was also an article in the Escrime International over the last year. I don't have the edition number of the magazine as I am at work!

Marcos
-26th November 2003, 14:02
Originally posted by jasonf
I managed to gash my hand on the sharp edge of the cup I'd won, whilst walking home from the venue.

venue, Jason, or celebratory drinks after?:cheers2:

Marcos
-26th November 2003, 14:13
Originally posted by jasonf
There is an interesting article on statistical analysis of fencing injuries which shows that injuries due to pistes are commoner than you might think :
http://www.exra.org/FencingChptr.htm
(see section 5.2)

Read the article - good stuff. copied the section pertinent, but whole article is good:

Equipment and facilities Conclusions

5. Do not allow practices or competitions on concrete surfaces without adequate cushioning.

6. When raised fencing strips are used, they should be of low height and adequate width to reduce risk of ankle injuries.

7. In practices and competitions, wooden and rubber surfaces should be cleaned at regular intervals, and fencers should wipe shoes on a damp towel before beginning each session of activity, to reduce the risk of slipping due to dusty or dirty surfaces.

8. Copper fencing strips should be fully stretched and firmly anchored to prevent "bunching."

10. The national governing body sports medicine committees should work with shoe manufacturers to develop an affordable fencing shoe that is designed specifically for the stresses of fencing.

stevejackson
-26th November 2003, 20:50
There's another interesting article on injuries in the current edition of the American Fencer magazine.Fall 2003 volume 53 number3. Under the heading Sports Medicine Q&A Professor Peter Harmer reports his analysis of fencing injuries from the 2001-2002 season of NAC competitions. He records 37 injuries serrious enough to cause withdrawal of a competitor. These are reported as split uniformly between parts of the body and between the sexes but not interestingly between the weapons. Sabre accounted for 49% of the injuries but only 22% of the competitors, foil for 30% of injuries and epee for 21% of injuries. The proportion of competitors for foil and epee is not recorded.

This leads to the question is sabre more dangerous than the other weapons? I won't speculate about the relative safety of the other 2 weapons though I would admit to giving up foil partly because I got hurt.

stevejackson
-26th November 2003, 21:18
Originally posted by Marcos
Steve,
It was a copper mesh piste that was secured poorly leading to the rucking effect you describe.

If you have any suggestions as to how to tape these pistes down maybe worth jotting them down. I have been to a few comps where the tape just doesn't do the job of securing the piste in place.

Marcos, I'm happy to describe how I've fastened pistes down in the past and they've seemed OK. However anyone following these ideas does so at their own risk. Bluntly if it goes wrong it's your responsibility.

First ensure the area the copper is to be fastened to is clean and dry - tape doesn't hold well on dusty or damp surfaces, then unroll the piste.

Tape one end using strips across the full width of the copper and extending eighteen inches beyond both sides. Add more strips of tape about 3 feet long at 45 degrees to the length of the piste set so that half the tape grips the flor and half the piste.

Now stretch out the piste two large helpers (preferably Martin Johnson size or larger) should grab the unsecured end and pull it tight, whilst they hold the tension get 3 or 4 people to walk from the secured end to the other scuffing their feet to drag any slack out. repeat 3 times.

After 3 effort the large helpers should hold the tension on while the end is taped as above.

Now run a length of tape along each edge of the piste to hold the latteral edge down.

Provided you've used a good quality Gaffer/Duct/Black Maskers cloth tape 4 inch wide you should be able to fence on these for a couple of days without problem.

Finally you should check that the piste is secure periodically. a small ripple that doesn't fold back on itself and does disappear when trodden on is acceptable but anything more means taking the piste out of use and relaying it.

pTeppic
-4th December 2003, 15:05
My entry - knocked out twice. Both owing to inappropiate sized masks.

Hence and looking at purchasing a new one. A size smaller.

Kian

foilerist
-4th December 2003, 22:03
Got a few punctures in inside right elbow from over enthusiastic attacks in epee and one in the shin when involved in a demonstration (not a good time to bleed profusely). again Epee was to blame, maybe i should have worn long socks, this could be the reason why i fence foil. :( :dizzy:

pinkelephant
-5th December 2003, 09:40
Originally posted by foilerist
Got a few punctures in inside right elbow from over enthusiastic attacks in epee and one in the shin when involved in a demonstration (not a good time to bleed profusely). again Epee was to blame, maybe i should have worn long socks, this could be the reason why i fence foil. :( :dizzy:

If you come on the piste with me refereeing you'll be wearing them at foil.

bucket
-5th December 2003, 12:07
Got another one.

going to training, getting out of the bucketmobile on to pavement.

of course, my dear flatmate parked a few inches away from pavement. (woman driver) ;)

foot goes out of car and into drain uncovered beside pavement.

busted ankle.

due to high centre of gravity (bag around neck), large bucket shaped object hits large pavement shaped object. pavement wins.

broken nose, smashed glasses and two teeth out.

Coach annoyed I never turned up to training.

Marcos
-5th December 2003, 12:48
not so much an injury, but at a club foil comp last week fencing a tall, thin girl with a couple years Epee experience...anyway, she fleches, front foot slips, falls to her knees, and her masked head goes straight into my groin....

foilerist
-5th December 2003, 13:28
once bitten twice shy. i always wear long socks now to fence. :rambo: :rambo: :dizzy: :eek:

hokers
-5th December 2003, 14:28
, and her masked head goes straight into my groin....

That sounds like my cue:

:eyerise: :eyerise: :eyerise:

Moby
-5th December 2003, 18:58
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
, and her masked head goes straight into my groin....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying not to laugh/wince, but it is difficult!

Moose
-5th December 2003, 19:07
Does that count as sexual harrassment? :grin:

uk_45
-7th December 2003, 12:58
Proberbly but it is one to tell the wife or even grand children

Moose
-7th December 2003, 14:15
Thats if he can ever have kids...

uk_45
-31st December 2003, 12:46
I have another new one from foot work Ha Ha Ha to you coaches saying foot work is allways good. We were doin step back, step step lunge and on the step back i tripped on sum ones kit bag and hit my head on the piano (our club is in a school hall)

Moose
-1st January 2004, 04:15
Lol, were you in tune?

uk_45
-1st January 2004, 09:19
Nope made a weird noise tho as my head smashed into the side. Tip when doing foot work check what is behind you.

Tarmac
-1st January 2004, 16:06
all in a days training for a sabruer... head butting pianos... well established constitutional technique...

uk_45
-1st January 2004, 16:09
Yep i'd like to say the piano came off worse but well i did.

thrustra
-16th January 2004, 00:29
:o mr collins ( left handed) once hit me (right handed) on the inside of my leading leg whilst I was lunging.
He too was lunging just after i started with the pronated hand holding the weapon that then curved into a perfect arc.
with point fixed to the centre inner thigh, arc ever curving with my opponents forward momentum equalling mine, his point slipped slightly forward up the inner thigh and then flicked off at an incredible whiplash like speed.
The very first 'twang' of the point, the one, that if you did it in the air it would vibrate to and fro very fast, connected pricicely,
with my poor bell end!

Moose
-16th January 2004, 06:24
Errrrm.... OWWWWWWWWW that made me shiver :eek:

Aer
-16th January 2004, 07:47
innjuries?

ok... try this one:

me (left handed) vs a school friend (righty, sabre fencer) in foil

he pauses mid fleche as i parry prime... but he runs on the wrong side of me - as i riposte his blade gets stuck between the guard of MY foil and the pistol grip, goes THROUGH my glove and hand (i have entry and exit wounds.)

There was no light - even tho it went through the glove, my riposte landed, so point to me.

the fact that i had to stop fencing for two weeks was.... fun

uk_45
-18th January 2004, 16:36
Ouch well i think on the NHS cause of injury you could get it put down as duelling wound! sounds better than sports

UglyBug
-18th January 2004, 22:12
Does spraining your ankle by falling down a flight of stairs while carrying a kit bag count?

Rdb811
-18th January 2004, 23:01
Merely a flesh wound compared to some of these.

uk_45
-19th January 2004, 15:04
Yeah!

To any newbies out there these degree of injuries are very very very very very rare and mainly come from incorrect technique or somthing like that so dont worry fencing is perfectly safe.

Rdb811
-19th January 2004, 15:16
There's more injuries listed than I've heard of before (in eight years).

Rdb811
-19th January 2004, 15:55
There's more injuries listed than I've heard of before (in eight years).

uk_45
-19th January 2004, 16:01
nice posting posted it twice with a 40min gap.

Rdb811
-19th January 2004, 16:10
Aplologies - went away to do something, came back, found a reply screen and absent mindedly clicked the submit button.

Marcos
-20th January 2004, 08:30
mashed thumb, that well known sabre injury, aparently is a "hyper-extension" of the ligaments

newbie at the Salle is a physiotherapist and she taught me all sorts of exercises to do

worked a treat!

UglyBug
-20th January 2004, 09:40
Alternatively, you could just parry with the guard instead of the thumb... (speaks the sabreur with one thumb twice the size of the other...)

oddball
-13th February 2004, 19:13
came across a foilist recently, who was a bad shot and uncomfortably fond of flick-hits. After a foil bout of 15 hits (I won 15-7), noticed a 4 by 3 inch bruise of an interesting colour on thigh (when I got home). Didn't notice it at the time, must be excitement of competition.(?!!)

Insipiens
-16th February 2004, 13:09
What percentage of the injuries at fencing clubs occur from things other than actual fencing? Such as:

other sports played as warm ups (five-a-side, basketball etc);
getting to and from fencing;
footwork exercises (I know crucial, and fencing related but not an actual bout);
kit bags, pianos and other items lying around the salle;
excessive proximity of other fencers / club members.

I would bet that over and above the inevitable bruising and the like suffered by most of us, the real injuries tend to be from activities other than actually being on the piste in a bout.

uk_45
-16th February 2004, 13:42
Id say 99% percent of injuries are non sword related

UglyBug
-16th February 2004, 17:53
I saw a referee get hit in the chest by an over-excited fleche - that wasn't from the piste he was refereeing!!!

frazzled
-16th February 2004, 18:03
Oh dear.................

If ever I have had a bad day at work and feel a little glum, I always come here and read the posts on your injuries and walk away giggling.

They are just so funny and bring a smile to my face. :grin:

uk_45
-16th February 2004, 18:12
Glad to hear our pain amuzes somone!

Jambo
-16th February 2004, 21:49
mashed thumb, that well known sabre injury, aparently is a "hyper-extension" of the ligaments

newbie at the Salle is a physiotherapist and she taught me all sorts of exercises to do

worked a treat!

Just found this out (working in A&E at mo), commonly known as Gamekeepers thumb, more recently as skiiers thumb. Hyperextension of you ulnar collateral ligament. Its very bad news, if you do it seriously you should do RICE (Rest Ice Compression Elevation) and get some physio fast.

Marcos
-17th February 2004, 08:44
how do you elevate a thumb?

uk_45
-17th February 2004, 10:10
Put it on a little step???

pinkelephant
-17th February 2004, 11:46
Hitch hike.

uk_45
-18th February 2004, 09:13
Ok how about i dropped my kit bag on my toe and it bl**dy well hurt!!!

oddball
-26th February 2004, 17:00
I dropped mine on my sisters head....... and she said it bl**dy well hurt!!!

uk_45
-26th February 2004, 17:05
Hmm how olds your sis?

sabretom
-29th February 2004, 17:41
Last Year i broke my collar bone, and after 6 weeks it healed with a bump. The other day while fencing at my club my opponent lunged straight at it and the point went crashing into my broken collar bone. ouch! Apart from that just minor bruises.

uk_45
-1st March 2004, 16:57
Youchy that just sounds like bad luck!

oddball
-10th March 2004, 11:41
Originally posted by uk_45
Hmm how olds your sis?

She's 14 and a more obnoxious little swine you have ever met before..

I'm not overly fond of her y'see!!

uk_45
-13th March 2004, 18:28
Hmm well as long as you where getting even

Sarah
-13th March 2004, 20:25
Back to subject, whilst reading around my dissertation programme I found an article talking about the morbidity(injury rates) of high performance fencers. The researchers found that from 93 fencers, 3 had acute penetrating injuries. These were
-pneumothorax (lung puncture) after penetration of the axilla (arm pit)
-incision of the major pectoralis muscle in the chest
-incision of the nether regions (relating to a man)
Hmm... doesn't sound partiularly nice but these were all down to broken blades.

uk_45
-14th March 2004, 10:36
I dont think it's that high and over what time scale had those injurires happened!

Sarah
-14th March 2004, 10:42
It was over a time scale of 15 years of high profile fencers.

Sarah
-14th March 2004, 10:44
Although, the main thing that this study found was that 40% of these fencers experienced patellofemoral (knee cap) pain. Easy to sort out problem though.

uk_45
-14th March 2004, 10:48
Yeah 15 years is a hell of a long time so that 0.20 penetration wounds a year!

Sarah
-14th March 2004, 10:52
fair point! :) Still a scary thought even though the risk is really low.

uk_45
-14th March 2004, 11:08
Yep and saftey precutions are going up but still the odd death happens (see ugh thread in off piste) but VERY RARE

oddball
-15th March 2004, 11:43
Whatever the precautions, the human race has a knack of having accidents.........
..or so they told me!

Sarah
-15th March 2004, 21:49
I know exactly what you mean. i'm forever having accidents! Although I always end up ok with no injuries but everything I touch...last friday, thought i'd clean the house (not really a typical student) knocked a huge tv onto my foot. My foot was fine but the aerial came out of the back pulling some internal thing out with it!!Ooops, my housemate was not best pleased. :(

uk_45
-16th March 2004, 21:35
Ok thats just acedient prone!! Lol got another one on the back of me head tonight!

oddball
-22nd March 2004, 11:43
Nice. I managed to hit myself on the head with a section of aluminum piste a couple of weeks ago..... pain. And my mates found it funny!

uk_45
-22nd March 2004, 15:13
That could have been cos it sounds like it would have been funny to see.

oddball
-23rd March 2004, 09:34
It was, especially from my point of view!!!

uk_45
-29th March 2004, 19:16
Yeah you see abit of fun for every one

oddball
-30th March 2004, 15:28
Ok, had an annoying one ( I'm not doing too well at the moment!).
Was fencing sabre avec madfencer at the C.I. Championships, not actually in the sabre comp ( no electric kit ). Had a hit landed under my mask bib and across my neck above the collar of my jacket. Kind of hurt a bit, but Iwas more worried to find the blade against my neck!!!!!! Madfencer ended up with a few interesting red lines on her back by the end of the bout!!

Shouldn't have striped her, but the renewed attacks got annoying after the third hack.........

Beware Madfencer, the vengence of oddball will come upon you.......

Muhahahahahahahahahahaaa!!

oddball
-30th March 2004, 15:29
Went a bit over the top there!!

uk_45
-30th March 2004, 18:55
Yeah what happened i got about 20 emails for this thread!

oddball
-2nd April 2004, 17:17
Eh??

uk_45
-3rd April 2004, 15:31
This is one of the thread im subscribed to and i got about 20 emails for 1 new post!

PKT
-5th April 2004, 05:19
This is one of the thread im subscribed to and i got about 20 emails for 1 new post!

Is that a complaint?

:)

PK

uk_45
-5th April 2004, 08:13
Nah i think it was some screw up in the server but i did wonder what oddball ment by:

Went a bit over the top there!!

J_D
-6th April 2004, 10:38
I used to regularly twist my ankle on the piste by dropping the toe of my front foot as I start moving forward: cured that one by not wearing cross trainers anymore.

I did manage to rip the calf muscle of my back leg at Bristol last year, and it still gives me trouble now. Also gives me the excuse to have a masseuse in everynow and again too ;)

uk_45
-8th April 2004, 09:33
Hmm seems to have been worth the pain then!

White_Tiger
-9th April 2004, 17:23
mine worse injury doesn't really compare to you lot, but i fractured my thumb and tore a muscle in my finger, which was painful

uk_45
-9th April 2004, 17:59
Ouch that one sounds bad, bad place for it to.

Im currently recovering from pulling a mucsle in my sholder.

Steve
-10th April 2004, 15:30
that one's not exactly fencing related though is it uk_45:tongue:

uk_45
-12th April 2004, 11:22
Hmm well the ones my ex girlfriend gave me (i'll leave it to your imagination) are cos i met her at fencing! but thats about it!

Demonic
-12th April 2004, 16:22
My Worst injury ever was at the bristol open many years back when my opponents blade was slammed so hard against my thumb it snapped the bone which piecered through the skin causing my new glove to go red!!:tongue:

Since then ive always had pains in my right thumb when fencing..

uk_45
-12th April 2004, 16:33
Ouchy but hey it's so hard to find a red glove now-a-days!:tongue:

oddball
-23rd April 2004, 18:58
Wohoo, currently celebrating not being mashed by summat!!

*looks skyward*

Uh oh.........

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

SPLAT!!!!

uk_45
-23rd April 2004, 21:42
Falling Piano moment?

Aer
-26th April 2004, 09:47
not sabre inflicted (tho i have a few of those too)

Foil, in the summer break after starting fencing last year, against my school friend

its 4-4, i (left handed, its the way to be) attack, he (RH) parries, i run away( i mean parry by distance), and parry prime his remise of the reposte.

I have to turn my hand round to hit him as he fleche'd the remise, collect his point into the webbed part of my hand (between finger and thumb), +hit him.

only 1 light (mine, on target)

despite the fact that he had just impaled my hand all the way through.... i won the bout.

oddball
-28th April 2004, 11:33
Falling Piano moment?

Seagull, much worse!!

Sparks
-7th May 2004, 14:58
Man, i'm glad i've only managed to blow my knee out while fencing (dunno what happened, it just stopped working for a while. It's fine now. It could have been damage to the meniscus, but im not sure)

Other than that, my best injusties are

Breaking my hand (left, fortunately) while drunk in northumbria student union.

And, more embarrasingly, falling off the bottom of a slide (a whole 6 inches above the ground) and breaking my arm in 4 places.

oddball
-7th May 2004, 19:23
Originally posted by Sparks
And, more embarrasingly, falling off the bottom of a slide (a whole 6 inches above the ground) and breaking my arm in 4 places.

How the HELL did you manage that?????!!!!!

Sparks
-7th May 2004, 19:31
It was when I was 6. Was sat on the bottom of the slide, thought I heard someone call my name. Turned round to the right, fell off. My elbow was against the bottom of the slide, my body weight was on the rest of the arm. My forearm wound up at 90 degrees to normal. I was lucky The bones didn't puncture the skin.

uk_45
-7th May 2004, 21:37
Hmm ok,

will im recovering from a badly sprained finger at the moment!

dunastor
-7th May 2004, 23:40
Had a pool bout against our great friend Tigger... (last Amsterdam Satellite tournament)

I made a parry 4, but I still felt his blade hit the base of my thumb.
didn't think much of it, just kept on fencing (losing the bout.. :( )

A few minutes later I check my glove, and it has a red-brownish stain at the spot I got hit... apparently my skin had burst open...

very nice....

oddball
-10th May 2004, 11:31
Originally posted by Sparks
It was when I was 6. Was sat on the bottom of the slide, thought I heard someone call my name. Turned round to the right, fell off. My elbow was against the bottom of the slide, my body weight was on the rest of the arm. My forearm wound up at 90 degrees to normal. I was lucky The bones didn't puncture the skin.

that explains it!

Neo
-22nd May 2004, 23:31
Originally posted by Tarmac
funny whenever i crash a bike it always seems to add to my particular injury at the time... although have been dubbed captain Scarlet due to my amazing ability to bounce!

I have actually broken the same arm around 6 times (not fencing related and mostly due to doing rather silly things :P)

Moose
-23rd May 2004, 01:47
This thread STILL going?

uk_45
-23rd May 2004, 08:45
Yep i recon i hold the record for longest running on topic (ish) thread.

gbm
-23rd May 2004, 10:14
Originally posted by alec frenzy
I would recommend the injury suffered by one of the iranian/dutch fencers, think it might have been at the Boston A grade -

Ruptured T/A

Apparently the scream echoed thought the hall...

What's a T/A?

uk_45
-23rd May 2004, 21:13
Tommorws acheivers :dizzy: but i guess it aint this time

dunastor
-23rd May 2004, 21:15
Achilles' Tendon?

uk_45
-23rd May 2004, 21:30
Sounds more likly any ways

dunastor
-23rd May 2004, 21:41
Other possibility would be Tonsills and adenoids, but I've never seen those ruptured.... :grin:

uk_45
-23rd May 2004, 21:43
Wouldnt that be kinda hard with the mask and every thing

dunastor
-23rd May 2004, 21:44
You never know....

uk_45
-23rd May 2004, 21:46
spose! but still would he be able to scream tho after that

dunastor
-23rd May 2004, 21:56
Oh yeah!!!

ever saw kids right after tonsillectomy?

uk_45
-23rd May 2004, 22:00
whats it like

gbm
-23rd May 2004, 22:06
It was b;**dy painful when you are a little kid. They won't discharge you until you eat something, but I was NOT going to eat anything...
They end up forcing it down your throats practically.

uk_45
-23rd May 2004, 22:08
ouch!

dunastor
-23rd May 2004, 22:09
So screaming is no prob whatsoever

gbm
-23rd May 2004, 22:16
Well they don't actually force you. They just aren't very happy, and children's nurses are good at not being happy.

dunastor
-23rd May 2004, 22:21
When I had mine one of the things I got to eat was ice-cream... Now I would give a lot for ice-cream any day, but not at that moment!!!!!

Moose
-23rd May 2004, 23:06
When I broke my wrist I had the children's nurse threatening me with the bogeyman physio. Needless to say I wasn't impressed, being 1 week off being on an adult ward.

gbm
-23rd May 2004, 23:12
I was in hospital a few months ago in a cardiac ward. I'm only 18, but everbody on that ward was either over 20 stone or over 50 years old. I would much prefer a children's ward...

And they wouldn't give me magic cream! Though they did give me valium...

Moose
-23rd May 2004, 23:13
They gave me morphine when I first came in, that was great, then they stuck me on valium and I was most disappointed.

gbm
-23rd May 2004, 23:18
The only thing the valium did was stop me shivering with nerves (I'm not a great hospital person, especially not just before an op with local only)...

Moose
-23rd May 2004, 23:30
I had a general when the reset my wrist, was never offered a local.

dunastor
-24th May 2004, 10:06
Wouldn't be nice to be under local, you can still feel your wrist crunching then... not a nice feeling a think..

uk_45
-24th May 2004, 17:23
This seems to have turned into a thread about drug abuse.

oh well

gbm
-24th May 2004, 18:02
Actually, we're talking about drug use, not abuse - these were all prescribed medicinal drugs.

Moose
-25th May 2004, 12:32
Prescribed as opposed to proscribed

uk_45
-25th May 2004, 13:57
You can abuse a precribed drug tho. IE morphin addicts

gbm
-25th May 2004, 14:17
Yes, but I was about to have my leg cut open. I was definitely not abusing the Valium.

uk_45
-25th May 2004, 14:30
Oh ok then! well let you off in that case

Moose
-25th May 2004, 23:27
And I wasnt abusing morphine when I had my ulna sticking out of my arm.

dunastor
-26th May 2004, 00:16
ulna sticking out of arm always a nice reason for morphine....

Rdb811
-26th May 2004, 00:17
Only a flesh wound ....

uk_45
-26th May 2004, 17:09
Any kinda of a wound is a flesh wound!

madfencer
-28th May 2004, 12:10
oddball tottally beat me up in sabre once!!!!!!! ouch!!!!! n a guy called tom whipped my ass in sabre!!!! lol!

uk_45
-28th May 2004, 13:04
Now would not be a good time so say my names tom then!

Xerberus
-2nd June 2004, 18:19
Not exactly fencing related but.........I came off my bike on Monday and broke my right collarbone (you guessed it i'm right handed!!!). I won't be able to fence again this season. Damn it!!!
:mad:

uk_45
-2nd June 2004, 20:47
Ouch. Im suffering from numerous broken and sprained fingers at the moment

oddball
-3rd June 2004, 19:35
Originally posted by madfencer
oddball tottally beat me up in sabre once!!!!!!! ouch!!!!! n a guy called tom whipped my ass in sabre!!!! lol!

I think you'll find I beat you up with the aforementioned sabre. :grin:

Now for the humiliation.. It was the first time I ever had a bash at sabre.

Shaolin Monkey
-5th June 2004, 12:59
Not really an injury but was funny as hell when I saw it happen, in a busa match in the epee I do believe our guy and theirs both lunged at each other's groins, needless to say a double hit was scored but our guy stood up immediately wheras theirs collapsed to the floor momentarily in pain. When play recommenced upon the president's call of "fencers ready" our man gave his box a tap, the sound travelling through the hall putting everyone in hysterics.
Maybe it was one of those "you had to be there" moments.

uk_45
-5th June 2004, 14:58
Sounds like it would have been kinda funny yeah

Shaolin Monkey
-5th June 2004, 15:04
By the way congratulations on the thread, excellent idea not been injured badly myself, twisted ankle once but thats it so far.

uk_45
-5th June 2004, 15:14
Ah I seemed to bruise soom one a wee bit the other day at épée. But mainly injuries arn't that common or to bad.

And the thread has been running for 8 months now so I think I must hold the record for the longest running thread.

Shaolin Monkey
-5th June 2004, 15:29
at where? and bruises dont really count, everyone gets those from time to time

Shaolin Monkey
-5th June 2004, 15:44
What about smart(ish) idea? 396 posts i think

uk_45
-5th June 2004, 15:55
Epee and although that thread (which is another one of mine) has more posts its only about 2-4 months old

Shaolin Monkey
-6th June 2004, 12:35
Just had an idea about armouy related injuries, gbm has been chating about the lethality of the springs in spools im wondering if anyone has had any painful encounters with a point screwdriver etc

oddball
-7th June 2004, 10:21
How, darts or summat???

oddball
-7th June 2004, 10:22
Rats, my thread is just over a month old!

Shaolin Monkey
-7th June 2004, 10:40
Is that a bad thing?

oddball
-7th June 2004, 10:59
No, not really, but I want to keep it going.

Shaolin Monkey
-7th June 2004, 11:04
Which thread is it?

gbm
-7th June 2004, 13:59
I use a better screwdriver with a long plastic handle out of a kit from Woolworths to do grub screws, but most people use those silly little 'watchmakers' screwdrivers. I have been told that armourers are forever stabbing themselves with the screwdriver in the thumb or hand as you hold the point and try to undo tight grub screws...
The good thing about my screwdriver is that you can easily undo screws that you just can't do with a 'watchmakers' screwdriver at all. I was struggling with one using a watchmakers screwdriver the other day because I had forgotten my normal one, and I couldn't do it. But with mine it came out really easily...

Shaolin Monkey
-7th June 2004, 15:05
LP make note, steal Woolworth's design for screwdriver!

oddball
-18th June 2004, 19:25
Originally posted by Shaolin Monkey
Which thread is it?

It's 'Best place to get a sabre'

Rdb811
-18th June 2004, 23:52
LP make note, steal Woolworth's design for screwdriver!

Muji do a very nice set of magnetised screw drivers which fit into a handle (in fact they do two different sets).

uk_45
-19th June 2004, 12:44
You could make a fencing multitool, screwdriver alan keys, guages all in one, now that would be usfull!

madfencer
-24th June 2004, 09:20
Now would not be a good time so say my names tom then!

ur names tom??? i always fancy guys called Tom n Matt!!!

oddball
-25th June 2004, 20:03
uk-45, get running or she'll be after you!!

uk_45
-25th June 2004, 20:45
Was thinking that lol. Might stop posting my next comp:tongue:. Only kidding

madfencer
-1st July 2004, 12:05
lol!!! sorry bout that!!!! im after you!!!!...only kidding no worries!!

oddball
-1st July 2004, 17:01
Jeez, your lucky uk-45!!!

uk_45
-1st July 2004, 20:36
huh what:dizzy:

*Elle*
-2nd July 2004, 16:48
ive had both ankles sprained twice some thru fencing other two times not... oe involves falling done stairs and the other dancing. My most proudest moment was when i fell off a banana boat and tore the ligament in my knee! :moon:

uk_45
-2nd July 2004, 16:54
must have taken some effot that last one.

randomsabreur
-3rd July 2004, 20:54
My most incompetent fencing related injury is spraining my ankle by standing half on my opponent's foot! Very embarassing as I'd just been hit in tempo but didn't realise it until i'd lunged at my rather too close opponent. Managed to finish the fight (4-0 down in last fight in pool, decided to stand still and parry, failed!

RoundRocksaber
-21st July 2004, 21:55
My worst was when someone Fluged into my pinkey. I got the touch but it hurt like no other

uk_45
-22nd July 2004, 10:31
I have a new more interesting one:

Was reffing at NWJS suddenly a strong attack comes from my right, which then is parried by the biggest parry i have seen the attack is still moving forward at this point. Result blade in my face.

*Elle*
-23rd July 2004, 13:41
hahahahaha you silly billy! Hope you have learnt a lesson from this!!!!

Elle xxx

Boo Boo
-23rd July 2004, 14:19
Was reffing at NWJS suddenly a strong attack comes from my right, which then is parried by the biggest parry i have seen the attack is still moving forward at this point. Result blade in my face.

Have been hit in the face/head a few times (often due to pistes being put too close together...).

Was once spectating a men's foil fight at the Welsh Open (quite a few years back) when the referee got hit by a foil point in the eye. OUCH!!! He flew across the room, screamed quite a bit and got taken to hospital... Nasty :(

Boo

uk_45
-23rd July 2004, 15:58
Ahh the pistes where not to close but however the ref behind me, a certin GBR sabreur ranked number 3 in the cadets..., was using up twice as much spacve as me and it was one very impressive parry!

gbm
-23rd July 2004, 16:02
Damn those cadets!
(not this coming season, but the season after that (2005/2006?) I'll be able to say 'Damn those juniors!' as well...)

uk_45
-23rd July 2004, 16:04
Ahh nah he's a great guy has one of my broken blades at home somewhere to.

Farrago
-24th July 2004, 16:10
I have nothing anywhere near as gruesome as most of these. I do have a couple of scars though. One on my thigh from my first ever competition. I don't know how she managed to draw blood with a foil off-target. Didn't notice until after the fight, was limping around for the rest of the day and for my other two fights (won both I think). The same fencer managed to hurt my two team-mates as well. She got one (who has bad knees) on the knee-cap at epee and the other on the collar-bone hard enough to make her go green.
Got hit across the knuckles with a sabre (don't really know how, had my hand behind my back at the time) and realised afterwards I'd got blood on my jacket.
Got hit in the elbow with an epee (seems to be quite a common one) only realised after taking my jacket off that it was bleeding a bit.
Got hit really hard on the kneecap with an epee. Wouldn't let him stop fighting though:tongue: then afterwards my knee went really stiff and my friends made me sit still for a couple of hours with an ice-pak. I've got a scar from that too.
The hits that hurt the most though are flats to the posterior with a very whippy foil!

uk_45
-12th August 2004, 20:19
Ok 16 hours of fencing in 3 days can hurt!

J_D
-19th August 2004, 23:23
Originally posted by Farrago
I have nothing anywhere near as gruesome as most of these. I do have a couple of scars though. One on my thigh from my first ever competition. I don't know how she managed to draw blood with a foil off-target. Didn't notice until after the fight, was limping around for the rest of the day and for my other two fights (won both I think). The same fencer managed to hurt my two team-mates as well. She got one (who has bad knees) on the knee-cap at epee and the other on the collar-bone hard enough to make her go green.
Got hit across the knuckles with a sabre (don't really know how, had my hand behind my back at the time) and realised afterwards I'd got blood on my jacket.
Got hit in the elbow with an epee (seems to be quite a common one) only realised after taking my jacket off that it was bleeding a bit.
Got hit really hard on the kneecap with an epee. Wouldn't let him stop fighting though:tongue: then afterwards my knee went really stiff and my friends made me sit still for a couple of hours with an ice-pak. I've got a scar from that too.
The hits that hurt the most though are flats to the posterior with a very whippy foil!

Sounds like hardcore fencing :tongue:

ok, not real injuries and not mine but....
went paintballing for a stag do: one mate runs marathons, another does Wing Chung [or whatever they call it!] both could hardly walk at work on Monday compared to a far senior [read age] fencer! I'm sorry [no I'm not] but I had to laugh at them:rambo:

PKT
-20th August 2004, 00:34
Originally posted by Aer
innjuries?

ok... try this one:

me (left handed) vs a school friend (righty, sabre fencer) in foil

he pauses mid fleche as i parry prime... but he runs on the wrong side of me - as i riposte his blade gets stuck between the guard of MY foil and the pistol grip, goes THROUGH my glove and hand (i have entry and exit wounds.)

There was no light - even tho it went through the glove, my riposte landed, so point to me.

the fact that i had to stop fencing for two weeks was.... fun

i had a similar experience on the givng end though. This was in sabre.

I hti my opponant's hand [he's left-handed] with a point attack - yes, i do that in sabre, catches my opp't by surprise - which landed on his glove went through his.

No light. but he couldn't riposte. Remember, i got his hand?

My blade continued and hit his lame'. Light came on.

Point to me... in spite of his protestations...

Lesson: keep your glove in good repairs.

PK

PKT
-20th August 2004, 00:46
Originally posted by goodbadandme
It was b;**dy painful when you are a little kid. They won't discharge you until you eat something, but I was NOT going to eat anything...
They end up forcing it down your throats practically.

Talk about b;**dy painful.
Chinese know how to torture peopel with broken limbs.
They'll set it, then work it - i.e. physio - from day 1. then they put a pasty med on it that stinks. Then they do it every day! This way. you don't have to do physio AFTERwards.

Oh, and you have to skip foods with eggs and sour things or they interact with the pasty meds.

PK

PKT
-20th August 2004, 00:57
Not really an injury but was funny as hell when I saw it happen, in a busa match in the epee I do believe our guy and theirs both lunged at each other's groins, needless to say a double hit was scored but our guy stood up immediately wheras theirs collapsed to the floor momentarily in pain. When play recommenced upon the president's call of "fencers ready" our man gave his box a tap, the sound travelling through the hall putting everyone in hysterics.
Maybe it was one of those "you had to be there" moments.

This was not a groin hit per se, but close.

I was fencing in vet epee tourney, yes i do do that sometimes. First bout of the first event for me in the day. Fenced my club mate who's a real epeeist.

As a sabreur, i attacked, he parried, i stepped into him, did a high prime parry, riposte to his thigh.

1. He was wearing sweat pants.
2. Unbeknownst to us, my blade broke after his parry.

Result: my broken blade penetrated into his thigh 3-inch deep.

He's a tough bugger though: Asked to be excused - i still didn't know what happened at this point.

After he left the piste, then i realised what happened.

He went and put on a bandage and a new pair of SWEATs...

he was ajust a bit sore, that's all... fenced a couple of days after...

PK

pinkelephant
-20th August 2004, 09:18
Which is why you should ALWAYS wear breeches, and refuse to fence anybody who isn't.

Canis
-20th August 2004, 09:46
my worst fencing injury :

to my credit card at LP's sale yesterday :grin: :grin:

got some good toys though:cool:

hokers
-20th August 2004, 11:05
Originally posted by pinkelephant
Which is why you should ALWAYS wear breeches, and refuse to fence anybody who isn't.

Damn right. Imagine if you'd got his femoral artery and he'd pumped blood all over the floor. Not good at all. Got to be SO careful with broken blades, there's just that one second of serious danger when a blade snaps before anyone notices.

Canis, do you remember Vicky cutting her face when straightening her blade at Portslade that year?

Canis
-20th August 2004, 11:54
hokers- yes i do
Luckily it narrowly missed her eye and only cut her cheek - - it was a nearly new maraging into three pieces wasn't it ? she wasn't happy! :mad: ( still i'm sure that was the year when we where all winding her up rather badly which wasn't helping).

prime example of a several things conspiring to make a dangerous situation -
lesson for newbies - if you need to straighten your weapon between points, if you will insist in bending it by hand rather than under your foot, KEEP YOUR MASK ON!!

DrillerNic
-20th August 2004, 16:21
Fencing Dave Meredith at Swash & Buckle years ago....someone crossed the piste behind me, I fell over them and popped my left Anterior Cruiciate Ligament and damaged the meniscus a bit....

It was pretty interesting, as about 9 years previously I'd done the same thing to my right knee playing rugby, and so I was able to see how medical science had advanced- the right knee resulted in a 30cm scar, 3 months in plaster followed by 6 months rehabilitation, the left knee was done with keyhole surgery, resulting in a 5cm scar, 4 weeks in a leg brace and just 2 months rehabilitation!

PKT
-20th August 2004, 23:35
Originally posted by pinkelephant

There's an excellent reason why he couldn't afford to buy his own, even 350N breeches: his daughter, who fences too... which for privacy reasons i won't go into the details here.

He knew the risks, he did not say anything about it, and it was kosher under the regs for the Vet event...

That said, i doubt even a 350N breeches could have stopped my contre-riposte from penetrating it. 800N maybe.

PK

PKT
-20th August 2004, 23:41
then there are the multiple times i got hit on the back of my head in sabre when my opponant executes hi sfavourite windmill parry-ripostes to my left cheek/ top of the head.

hence my joy in discovering how easy it is to put an ice hockey goalie mask back-of-head plate to protect that part of the head with the new LP sabre mask.

Since installing it in Nov. 2003, i've been hit a few more times on the plate.

Barry's in the process of producing his version of it for the LP sabre mask.

PK

PKT
-20th August 2004, 23:44
Oh, here's a foto of what it looks like.

PK

PKT
-20th August 2004, 23:45
Then i painted it to make it less obvious.

PK

Slash
-8th September 2004, 13:38
This is sort of a fencing related injury...
In June I made it onto the varsity team for fencing, had to represent at a competition, so had to stay in res with the rest of the team...
On the second morning of competing, had to be at the fencing hall @ 8, decided to take a stroll if I couldn't get a lift. I just missed a lift...
Half way to the hall two idiots tried to mug me ( I had left my equipment locked up at the hall, so was unarmed) one of them stabbed my 4 times in my left arm (I'm a righty BTW) mincing my deltoid:eek:
Doctor who sewed me up (had to have an op) told me that wound was 0.5cm away from a BIG nerve in my arm, could have lost use of it for who knows how long!
But now I have a cool scar;)
and ppl call me SLASH

BTW, scar looks like Harry Potter, according to other ppl

Slash
-8th September 2004, 13:38
This is sort of a fencing related injury...
In June I made it onto the varsity team for fencing, had to represent at a competition, so had to stay in res with the rest of the team...
On the second morning of competing, had to be at the fencing hall @ 8, decided to take a stroll if I couldn't get a lift. I just missed a lift...
Half way to the hall two idiots tried to mug me ( I had left my equipment locked up at the hall, so was unarmed) one of them stabbed my 4 times in my left arm (I'm a righty BTW) mincing my deltoid:eek:
Doctor who sewed me up (had to have an op) told me that wound was 0.5cm away from a BIG nerve in my arm, could have lost use of it for who knows how long!
But now I have a cool scar;)
and ppl call me SLASH

BTW, scar looks like Harry Potter, according to other ppl:)

Glue Boy
-9th September 2004, 16:33
mine is very boring :(:

i pulled my hamstring quite badly about a year ago and it has been really dodgy since :(

Rdb811
-9th September 2004, 18:14
I tripped over my bag at home and stubbed my toe. and now my calf muscle feels tight (compensating injury).

kalivor
-9th September 2004, 19:07
Originally posted by PKT
That said, i doubt even a 350N breeches could have stopped my contre-riposte from penetrating it. 800N maybe.

PK
It might not have stopped the penetration, but it might have saved injury.

My old fencing breeches (350 N ... maybe less?) were penetrated by a broken epee. There was a hit to my leg, the blade broke, and the remise hit my leg again.

The way the breeches were designed, the broken epee tip slid to the seam, where it caught, bunched, and pushed through -- missing my leg entirely, but putting entrance and exit holes in the pants.

kalivor
-9th September 2004, 19:10
My worst fencing injury was a foil in the hand.

Somehow my opponent's foil hit me in the palm of my right hand (I'm a righty), punched through the glove and the skin, and into my hand.

My opponent's foil didn't break, either.

oddball
-10th September 2004, 12:46
What colour light came up?

kalivor
-10th September 2004, 14:03
Originally posted by oddball
What colour light came up?
A white light, I believe. I had priority, but was unable to get my point on, what with my opponent's tip in my hand, and all.

I believe the call was "Attack, no. Counter-attack off-target." Followed immediately by a 10-minute injury break in which my hand was bandaged and I tried (unsuccessfully) to locate a left-handed weapon.

Tarmac
-10th September 2004, 14:15
got two groin shots last night.. in a row...
<sigh>

Glue Boy
-10th September 2004, 16:59
oooooh, thats gotta hurt!

ps, how do u get text above your avatar?

uk_45
-10th September 2004, 17:14
Not sure i should say this to a members with a post per day of over twenty, but you get the right to set your own user status (yours is currently 'new member') after you have made 100 posts in forums which aint chitchat

Glue Boy
-10th September 2004, 20:30

Shaolin Monkey
-20th September 2004, 14:49
Just grazed my chin on the mesh of my mask when my opponent got a little too close with the guard on their sabre, I still got the point though.

Flip
-20th September 2004, 15:01
I can't walk properly. It was originally a fencing injury:fencingsm (the 2002 cadet winton = torn tendons and ligaments in right knee)
It then turned it a martial arts injury:rambo: (2003 sparring with my sensai = dislocated right knee)
It's now far less impressivly a work injury :cheers2: (2004 crouching down to tighten the seal on a barrel of Tetley's = nasty crunching noise on standing up)

Moose
-20th September 2004, 19:42
I went back to fencing after nearly a year off and some girl nearly cuts my balls off with her sabre.

uk_45
-20th September 2004, 19:45
LAUGHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must still pay her for that! was a very funny moment!

Andy
-21st September 2004, 00:59
Originally posted by Moose
I went back to fencing after nearly a year off and some girl nearly cuts my balls off with her sabre.

So you've net Flip before then... LOL

A.

J_D
-21st September 2004, 08:41
Bristol Open, foil, first bout........bugger there goes another calf!

That's left calf Bristol 03, right Bristol '04, should I open a book on what's going to break at Bristol '05?

Rdb811
-21st September 2004, 18:19
Your 'middle' calf ? :o:

J_D
-21st September 2004, 22:58
maybe I should stay in the control room next year :confused:

Flip
-22nd September 2004, 11:12
Originally posted by Andy
So you've net Flip before then... LOL

A.

Oi! I have never done that! I may have unintentionally crippled someone whilst fencing epee but it was their fault for not wearing a box. :oops

Andy
-22nd September 2004, 11:51
Hoped that you wouldn't see that one Flip - Sorry - But does this mean that you now can't cut off my balls with your sabre, as this would prove me right all along?

Food for thought.

A. ;)

Flip
-22nd September 2004, 13:59
I said I'd never done it.....Didn't say i never would. I'll tell you what, on sunday I'll give you a lesson on ball defences.

Bear in mind we fence twice more before then. :grin:

sabre_ferret
-27th September 2004, 10:39
One of my mates got an epee up the Jacksey. Now it brought tears to my eye but to be honest I think he kind of liked it! Don't even ask how he got in to that position, but I guess it was a mixture of clumsiness and lack of balance!

The same lad is rather unfortunate in that I have whallopped his gonads about 10 times in the past 6 months with my Epee.... He really should get a box!