PDA

View Full Version : Where is everybody from?

WanderLuster
-1st November 2003, 23:52
I'm new here, so if this has been addressed, I'm very sorry. I noticed alot of people here are from the UK. Is anyone here from America? I live in Charlotte, NC in the US, but desperately want to live in England...where is everybody else from?

~Ranting Rachael~

Mantis
-2nd November 2003, 08:36
Most people are from the UK because this is a forum for UK fencers. You are, however, most welcome.

ceprab
-2nd November 2003, 08:41
There are several Americans use this forum as well. I'm not one of them.

On the basis that you are from the place your accent says you are from, I'm from Coventry, Bath or occasionally Teesside (sp?), with one of them at random becoming more pronounced as I get drunk. Or alternatively I automatically mirror a strong accent if i am exposed to it (which can be embarassing when talking to Welsh or German people :o ).

TAJ83
-2nd November 2003, 10:13
Well, I'm from lots of different places, all of them within the UK.

I was born in Newcastle-under-Lyme.
I then moved to Stoke-On-Trent.
I then moved to Suffolk (about half a mile from Sizwell Nuclear Power station!).
I then moved to Norfolk.
I then moved to Yorkshire, where I currently reside. I was recently told I have a northern accent. I was gutted! I've also been told that I sound like William Hague:confused:

TAJ83
-2nd November 2003, 10:14
Oh, and I'm at university in Wales :)

uk_45
-2nd November 2003, 15:46
Well I'm from Chester

Tarmac
-2nd November 2003, 16:21
Deepest darkest devon... lotsa trees, lotsa hills, and no much else, but ya gotta love it:)

Tihon
-2nd November 2003, 16:38
Zagreb, Croatia.

Europe.

Between Italy, Slovenia, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia & Montenegro.

cheers

Tihon

bucket
-3rd November 2003, 11:40
Ok, I was found on the east side of Dundee, Scotland and moved west until I reached the university at which point the parents moved far, far north to Inverness and stayed there.

If you don't know where Dundee is
1. well done. you have never visited one of the most soul destroying places in Britain.

2.It's three hours from anywhere- any competition we travel to in scotland takes three hours to get there, even if it's in Dundee.

Aoife
-3rd November 2003, 12:57
I'm in a small dead-end tourist trap in Thanet (or in local idiolect " fahn-ni'(t)" - ahhh, the joy of glottal stops :) ).

SoulTripper
-3rd November 2003, 16:26
Norwich - The place it seems everyone hates getting to.

Tihon, my mother's Croatian. Grandma lived in Somabor now moved to Zapresic.

Also, a family friend is a Croatian fencing coach over here, surname Stepinac. Also DJ's in Zagreb quite a bit as well.

PM1
-3rd November 2003, 17:47
...we don't HATE going to Norwich, is just the planners don't want people to travel there.......or get out.....

I'm from Birmingham, Warwickshire, but have lived more of my life in Hull, Yorkshire, having come here for Uni and never left. But I spend as much time as I can in St David's (Wales, dear hearts).

Exgeordielass
-3rd November 2003, 18:09
Originally from the North-East, (Birtley and Gateshead) now in Guildford, Surrey via Ealing, London; and Rossdorf in Germany;)

Rdb811
-3rd November 2003, 23:41
From the Wirral and now Saaf Landaan.

Moose
-4th November 2003, 04:29
Well I was born in Liverpool, have lived in Chester most of my life and am currently dashing beween Chester and my other house in Leicester.

Dave Hillier
-4th November 2003, 08:08
ummm

Born in Colchester
Moved to Brunei
Moved back to near colchester
Moved to near Lowestoft/Norwich
Moved to Birmingham
Currently in Southampton

Randomly picking up bits of accent along the way.

funky bear
-4th November 2003, 09:29
I live near Halesowen in the west midlands, about 20 mins from where the H & W open is held.

Secret Squirrel
-4th November 2003, 10:35
Born Libya, on account of my mother being there at the time,now live in ghetto-fabulous North London, via some other places.
(Couldn't get in the door of the vets last night as the area was still taped off by the police...running street battles no less. :rolleyes:

Muso440
-4th November 2003, 20:32
Originally posted by PM1

I'm from Birmingham, Warwickshire

Are you under the impression Brum is in Warwickshire?????!!!

Brum = West Midlands = grimy industrial place where they have funny accents

Warwickshire = green and leafy county.

(Guess where I'm from ;) )

Muso440
-4th November 2003, 20:33
Originally posted by WanderLuster
I live in Charlotte, NC in the US, but desperately want to live in England...

Why?

(Cue heated discussion on crapness or otherwise of monarchy / government / public services / weather etc etc)

Rdb811
-4th November 2003, 21:31
Originally posted by Muso440
Are you under the impression Brum is in Warwickshire?????!!!

Brum = West Midlands = grimy industrial place where they have funny accents

Warwickshire = green and leafy county.

(Guess where I'm from ;) )

PM1 might just be using the traditional boundaries. (and quite right to).

Rdb811
-4th November 2003, 21:32
Why?

(Cue heated discussion on crapness or otherwise of monarchy / government / public services / weather etc etc)

Are you ever positive about anything ?

PM1
-4th November 2003, 23:36
Muso, when I lived in Brum, it was called Warwickshire. And that was a loooooong time ago. But then, when I came here, it was called the County of Kingston upon Hull (tiny place). It then became part of Humberside (a monster area), and then reverted to County of etc. But people like to call it Yorkshire. Except the post office and the police and the BBC, who still call it Humberside.

and do cheer up...........;) ;)

Moose
-4th November 2003, 23:46
Going on traditional names, would Brum not be in Warwickshire?

PM1
-4th November 2003, 23:59
My point entirely......................:grin:

Rdb811
-5th November 2003, 00:08
I've never come from Merseyside, either.

Moose
-5th November 2003, 01:00
Just need to add Wessex and Mercia to the list of traditional names :)

Australian
-5th November 2003, 02:48
sydney australia here

but i'll be in shrewsbury, shropshire next year

Muso440
-5th November 2003, 08:28
Originally posted by Rdb811
PM1 might just be using the traditional boundaries. (and quite right to).

Hmmmm, okay then.... That was just a *long* time ago!

Muso440
-5th November 2003, 08:30
Are you ever positive about anything ?

You're misreading me! I didn't mean that *I* was going to moan about the crapness of those things - I just thought that if I asked Rachel why she wanted to move to England, it might prompt a discussion on whether England is a nice place to live or not.

(Feel like I'm having an everybody's-picking-on-me day. And it's only 9.30 :( )

tigger
-5th November 2003, 09:46
I live in Charlotte, NC in the US, but desperately want to live in England...

Weird how everyone who actually lives here wants to get out, and lots and lots of people who don't want to get in...?

I was born in Staffs with a mother who's a 1/4 irish a 1/4 scots 1/4 eng and bits of russian thrown in and a father who's 1/2 lithuanian and 1/2 german-jewish. moved to germany for 2 yrs (nr luxemborg border), back here to derbys, yorks and staffs, back to germany for 2 yrs (black forest), then merseyside, devon and finally cornwall. moved house 13 times by the age of 11....hence my odd twitches and desperate desire to get in the top 10

Rdb811
-5th November 2003, 11:57
You're misreading me! I didn't mean that *I* was going to moan about the crapness of those things -

Not feeling you're usual self, then ? :)

To start the debate

I suspect the grass is always greener etc.

Like all places, England has it's good points, it has it bad. I think the good outnumber the bad.

pinkelephant
-5th November 2003, 12:03
Born and bred in Brixton. Moved up in the world and moved to Peckham. Then Bristol Uni, back to London, and final escape to the North West - first Manchester and now sunny St. Annes.

Muso440
-5th November 2003, 18:45
Not feeling you're usual self, then ? :)

God, do I really come across as such a misanthrope?! :upset:

Well, okay, maybe it has slight basis in reality. But I'm not *such* a miserable cow, honest!

Rdb811
-5th November 2003, 22:35
The collected thoughts of Chairman Muso:

Maybe, but I really AM rubbish!

Tradition is not a reason to keep something.

God, it's so nice to hear that I'm not the only person with this kind of problem.

etc, etc,

The prosecution rests it's case.

Moose
-6th November 2003, 03:11
Problems, I have stacks of em, I'll leave you to figure em out tho..

Muso440
-6th November 2003, 08:39
The collected thoughts of Chairman Muso:

That's 'chairwoman' if you don't mind ;)

Maybe, but I really AM rubbish!
Tradition is not a reason to keep something.
God, it's so nice to hear that I'm not the only person with this kind of problem.
etc, etc,
The prosecution rests it's case.

:upset:

Moose
-6th November 2003, 10:46
Or maybe Charwoman ;)

Boo Boo
-6th November 2003, 10:52
Poor Muso - you lot are not doing much to help build up her self-esteem are you (something FAIRLY important to fencers...)?

Boo
(wondering about borrowing Moose and RDB for the Welsh - to help mentally destroy her opponents before she fences them...)

Muso440
-6th November 2003, 18:50
Originally posted by Moose
Or maybe Charwoman ;)

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Please imagine me saying something very rude, two words, the second of which is 'off'!

Thank you Boo for your support!

Marcos
-6th November 2003, 19:41
live in Dublin
where i gained irish citizenship thru marriage
having met my wife in madrid
during a year out from uni in norwich
after growing up in london
and being born in Galicia, on the beautiful, celtic, northern spanish, atlantic coast

ole'
:party:

and am the happiest now than i ever have been!

Moose
-6th November 2003, 20:17
Muso, I'd like to apologise to you. I'm sorry. Methinks my fingers were typing faster than my brain was thinking.

Boo, are you looking at hiring on a tournament or match by match basis? ;)

PM1
-6th November 2003, 20:22
Muso, you are truely wonderful and MUST have more faith in yourself - good for you, Boo, for your support....Women are doing it for themselves !!!!!!Yay!! True Brit Grit !!!!

Tarmac
-6th November 2003, 20:25
i've been doing it for myself for years :tongue: sorry

Boo Boo
-6th November 2003, 22:01
Boo, are you looking at hiring on a tournament or match by match basis? ;)

Think we would start on a "match by match" basis, then - if its successful - could hire you on a tournament basis. If that works out well, could take you along to A-grades (hey "opportuinities for foreign travel"... :) ).

Boo

Moose
-6th November 2003, 22:18
Hehehe, I'm also available when husbands forget Anniversary's etc ;)

Rdb811
-7th November 2003, 00:26
Originally posted by PM1
Muso, you are truely wonderful and MUST have more faith in yourself

This is true - I just couldn't take anymore of the self excoriation.

Always thinks of what you haveimprovedon, not how far it is you have to go.

Muso440
-7th November 2003, 08:46
Muso, I'd like to apologise to you. I'm sorry. Methinks my fingers were typing faster than my brain was thinking.

Forgiven :)

Don't worry, I've not been crying into my pillow at night in despair at the meanness of the Fencing Forum, or anything.

Muso440
-7th November 2003, 08:49
Originally posted by PM1
Muso, you are truely wonderful and MUST have more faith in yourself - good for you, Boo, for your support....Women are doing it for themselves !!!!!!Yay!! True Brit Grit !!!!

Gee shucks.... :o I'm getting all embarassed now you're all being nice. Thanks PM!

Actually, being teased and wound up is probably good for my fencing - I tend to get a 'I'll show the b****rds' attitude after a certain point.

Muso440
-7th November 2003, 08:51
Always thinks of what you haveimprovedon, not how far it is you have to go.

I know, I know! My coach keeps telling me this too.

J_D
-7th November 2003, 13:08
having lived in various places along the south coast:help:, I seem to have got stuck in Bristol :transport

Moose
-7th November 2003, 14:41
Arrrr that be Bristle

PM1
-7th November 2003, 19:50
...nay, BRIZZLE, lad

uk_45
-7th November 2003, 21:29
Ok Ok to be correct i live in a small town called Neston on the wirral it is about 10 miles from Chester.

PM1
-7th November 2003, 22:53
Hey !! we got a friend lives there now who used to live our side of the country - almost coast to coast......;)

Rdb811
-8th November 2003, 00:20
Originally posted by uk_45
Ok Ok to be correct i live in a small town called Neston on the wirral it is about 10 miles from Chester.

I'm from Moreton (a long time ago).

Moose
-8th November 2003, 04:34
Bristle (http://www.thatbebristle.co.uk/) and here's the proof...

PM1
-8th November 2003, 12:28
I KNOW that - but it sounds like Brizzle, to rhyme with drizzle - yes?? I like it however you spell it - cracking place.

Tarmac
-8th November 2003, 13:39
Originally posted by uk_45
small town called Neston on the wirral
what's a wirral then?:tongue:

uk_45
-8th November 2003, 14:38
Very funny it's that lil bit of land between Liverpool and Wales. Some people hey!

Moose
-8th November 2003, 21:37
Its home of many a plastic scouser :tongue:

mmfamember
-9th November 2003, 02:24
Hey im from the country of the free and the brave!!!(the u.s.)
ROCK ON!!

Moose
-9th November 2003, 02:35
So free as to have to be forced to pledge your allegiance to it in the morning at school ;)

Jambo
-9th November 2003, 09:12
MMFA?? And Moose don't mock, they're slowly invading us. They make Asda staff do it!!!

Muso440
-9th November 2003, 16:18
Originally posted by Jambo
And Moose don't mock, they're slowly invading us. They make Asda staff do it!!!

No?! Surely not? Arrrgggghhhh. Pledge allegiance to Asda rather than the USA presumably?

Very very scary.

Jambo
-9th November 2003, 16:20
AFAIK they have to sing the Wal-Mart song every morning. People resigned over it allegedly!

Muso440
-9th November 2003, 16:40
I don't blame them.

Moose
-9th November 2003, 16:54
Tis a scary thought. Reminds me of the Mooby scene in Dogma...

uk_45
-9th November 2003, 16:58
That is such a AMAZING movie

Moose
-9th November 2003, 17:00
Maybe we can hire Loki to deal with the Wal-Mart management...

uk_45
-9th November 2003, 17:05
Maybe we can hire Loki to deal with the Wal-Mart management...

Or maybe to just deal with Wal-Mart in general.

bucket
-10th November 2003, 11:46
I've got nothing against Asda.

anybody know where I can get something ? (WMD and such like)

<former asda employee who was sacked for stacking the shelves with tins the wrong way up

:harrier:

Muso440
-10th November 2003, 16:23
Originally posted by bucket
<former asda employee who was sacked for stacking the shelves with tins the wrong way up

Was this done on purpose in order to send out some kind of covert message? (like Satanists) Or did you just get it wrong?

Prometheus
-10th November 2003, 17:01
former asda employee who was sacked for stacking the shelves with tins the wrong way up
Was rice pudding - now upside down pudding :tongue: Sorry, probably a deeply traumatic experience for you!

Comes from:

Born in Narfork boy

Lived in Nottingham, A cupboard in Sth Kensington, Bayswater, Devon, Peterborough (Arrrghhh) etc.......now tied to a rock back in the badlands of East Anglia ! Bloody big eagles they got here to!!!!!

Moose
-11th November 2003, 03:00
Which way up do you store upside down cake?

Muso440
-11th November 2003, 08:28
Which way up do you store upside down cake?

LOL! :grin:

Very good point, Moose.

Incidentally, does anyone else find it a bit weird that the originator of this thread has never reappeared? Seems to happen quite often - the crazy lady asking about real sharp swords (LadyKnight?) did the same thing. (For some reason it always seems to be Americans...)

Or is it just the administrators pretending to be someone else to get us talking?

bucket
-11th November 2003, 11:06
According to my gran - store upside down cake any way you like, just don't get icing all over the place when you open the tin.

secondly, put the tins upside down in protest of it being the most boring, mind-numbing job I've done. they even had a diagram for where the tin should go.

Rdb811
-11th November 2003, 23:38
Its home of many a plastic scouser :tongue:

I've always called them 'professional scouser' like Mr Ravenscroft (who should sound like Ian Botham). I can tell a bogus Scouse accent a mile off - some people I knew at school later developed them. I have the utmost contempt for them.

Moose
-13th November 2003, 04:42
I'm originally from Liverpool, but thankfully have no accent :)

Rdb811
-13th November 2003, 23:38
It relly annoys me when I have a cold and my accent slips through.

Moose
-14th November 2003, 01:46
Which accent tho?

Rdb811
-14th November 2003, 21:56
The flat Wirral one.

Moose
-14th November 2003, 23:58
get hit by a bus?

Rdb811
-15th November 2003, 10:59
I meant as opposed to the one from teh mountainous bits of the Wirral.:grin:

Moose
-16th November 2003, 11:25
I thought those all got either stolen or burned...

Rdb811
-16th November 2003, 20:12
I wondered where they'd gone to.

spirall333
-17th November 2003, 12:28
i was born in northern Ireland to a Ulster mother and a english father, moved to england at 13 and promptly had my accent kicked out of me in oxfordshire. Now in swindon.