PDA

View Full Version : Algiers, Algeria

FencingMomma
-7th March 2008, 04:02
Will the British fencer be attending the last Grandprix in Algeria?
Have any of you written to the powers that be in the FIE to tell them what a bad idea it is to go?
FM

AussieMongrel
-8th March 2008, 22:49
Below is from the lonely planet web site

I take it your daughter, Zagunis et all wont be going??

Travel Warning: Terrorism Threat
There is an ongoing threat of terrorism in Algeria. Algiers has suffered a number of deadly bombings; the most recent occurred on 11 December, killing dozens of people and injuring close to 200. In January, a suicide bomb attack in Naciria killed four people and injured at least 20, while separate bomb attacks in September in the town of Batna and the port of Dellys killed at least 50 people. Travellers should exercise a high level of caution and monitor the news for any developments. Attacks have also occurred in other parts of northern Algeria, most recently in Naciria.

In the desert regions of the south tourists are strongly advised to travel with a reputable tourist agency and it is compulsory for self-drive tourists to be accompanied by an Algerian guide.

Check out Safe Travel for updated government warnings.

severity: High-level alert

FencingMomma
-9th March 2008, 03:25
Actually my daughter won't be going. She took a huge chance in saying no but she still abides by her decision. She had to appeal to an omsbudsman for the USOC and was told the (Her coach who is the national coach) could not penalize her for not going. She is the only one on the team who refused to go.
I still can't believe that the meet is still on and that so many others are going. It is ludicrous. All the fencers have their entire lives ahead of them, to seriously jeopardize them for points, no matter what they count for, is foolish.
Roche should be ashamed of himself placing politics over the lives of fencers.
FM

Boo Boo
-9th March 2008, 09:26
Anybody who is going to Algeria, should read this - http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618385585

One of the important points is to check their travel insurance policy - to insure that there are no exclusions.

Boo

Lucan
-9th March 2008, 09:34
Foreign & Commonwealth Office advice

There is an underlying threat from terrorism. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

There is an underlying threat from terrorism. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

There is more to risk asesment then the lonely planet web site.

Was quite happy to send son last year to Algeria.

1= Belgum
2= South Ireland

rpryer
-9th March 2008, 11:38
Foreign & Commonwealth Office advice

There is more to risk asesment then the lonely planet web site.

Was quite happy to send son last year to Algeria.

1= Belgum
2= South Ireland

But the difference is that for Belgium and the Republic of Ireland, the warnings are very general and the same as the FCO says for any country in the world. The Algeria advice is more specific, relating to actual events.

Boo Boo
-9th March 2008, 13:25
Going anywhere (or doing anything) with perceived risk is down to personal choice.

But some travel insurance companies many have exclsusions (either for specific countries, for countries with specific warnings or for acts of terrorism) - so definitely worth checking that your policy will cover you if you go...

Boo

Foilling Around
-9th March 2008, 14:27
Yes there are limits as to where I would send daughter to travel, I doubt if I would send her to a World Cup event in Iraq or Dafur!! If, however, we refuse to go to anywhere where there is any threat at all of terrorist activity then the terrorists win.

Fencing Momma does not give a location, but sounds American. I strongly suspect that the US perception of risk in the rest of the world is very different to that of the majority of Europeans.

BoutAfrica
-9th March 2008, 18:07
I was in Algeria last year and it was not so bad. However you are not alowed to travel any where by yourself and have to have a police escourt with you at all times. You are pretty much in prison there but its not Iraq, thats for sure.

Keith.A.Smith
-9th March 2008, 19:12
Dear All,

I was the FIE Refereing delegate for the African Games held in Algeirs last July. Getting my visa took time and my lugare got lost but the hotel was perfectly safe.

There is tight security but everyone was quite safe on that occasion.

Keith