View Full Version : St Petersburg - Ladies Foil

cesh_fencing
-7th March 2008, 11:54
Results up on FIE website

86th EMANUEL Martina
103rd BENTLEY Anna
108th WRIGHT Elizabeth

out of 120..

This follows last weeks team result of 15th out of 15 in Gdansk and placings between 92nd and 113 in the individual..

The girls are certainly finding it really tough this season...

pigeonmeister
-7th March 2008, 12:43
So I was bored..

83rd has been the best WF's result this season. Last time we had a 64 was in the 2007 World Champs (Emanuel 64/92)

Last time a WF achieved a L32- March 2007 (Bentley 29th Budapest)

Last L16- march 2005 (and that can't really count as it was in Egypt and only 25 entered)

Shockingly, the last genuinely good result by a Women's foilist was Eloise Smith- 13th in Havana in June 2003.

Hungry Hippo
-7th March 2008, 13:50
Shockingly, the last genuinely good result by a Women's foilist was Eloise Smith- 13th in Havana in June 2003.

Perhaps has a certain young lady who has been impressing everyone in Rovigo this week will some day be making an impression on WF at the very highest level.......

pigeonmeister
-7th March 2008, 14:09
Absolutely- she seems a hugely exciting prospect. I just hope they keep her as far away from senior domestic competition as possible. I just can't see what she can to learn from the senior circuit, except (I imagine) total demoralisation.

Rudd
-10th March 2008, 11:50
Team came 9th out of 18. (http://www.fie.ch/Competitions/ResultsList.aspx?Key=856D860B88ED5A536C59CF31C7E8A F4A)

MatFink
-10th March 2008, 12:56
But why isn't Kate Gardner at any of these events

She was on the ascendancy a couple of years ago and seems to have vanished.

Given we are financially supporting fencers it seems odd not to take the ones who were getting results off their own bat before the money appeared.

Is Kate injured?

monobrow
-10th March 2008, 13:35
well done wf team in russia. V good result

cesh_fencing
-10th March 2008, 14:12
Team came 9th out of 18. (http://www.fie.ch/Competitions/ResultsList.aspx?Key=856D860B88ED5A536C59CF31C7E8A F4A)

The mens team came 9th this weekend, the ladies event was the week earlier..

Red
-10th March 2008, 14:26
Although the women did come 12th of 18, which isn't absolutely dire given the individual results.

http://fie.ch/Competitions/ResultsList.aspx?Key=FC1BE0ED650F9FFEC604A5528E765 98E

cesh_fencing
-10th March 2008, 15:06
But why isn't Kate Gardner at any of these events

She was on the ascendancy a couple of years ago and seems to have vanished.

Given we are financially supporting fencers it seems odd not to take the ones who were getting results off their own bat before the money appeared.

Is Kate injured?

She is actually 4th on the British rankings currently and has been consistantly in the top 5 or 6 for the last few years so has not actually vanished, just has not been able to do so many World Cups..

When the Olympic Pathway Funding was launched (about June 96 ish I think) Kate was 90th on the world rankings and Ranked No 1 in the GB rankings. No other GB Ladies foilist has even broken into the top 100 since.

Because originally there were restrictions on where you could train/live etc and Kate has a training base in Poland she wrote to BF saying she was unable to apply for Pathway as she trained in Poland and would not be able to comply with their requirements. However she would obviously like funding if it was to be given to those outside that criteria. She has applied again since and was told no again.

Kate’s training and competition schedule has been curtailed this season mainly due to financial restraints and she has not spent as much time in Poland as she would have liked due to the costs involved. She has only done 2 world cups this year, and to compete at this level you really need to compete throughout the season at the World Cups. However she is still 4th in the GB rankings and gets consistent results here.

She was at the Gdansk World Cup and prior to the event offered herself to be part of the team as there were only 3 other girls going, however she was told she was not needed (even as a reserve). On the day of the Team event all the polish girls & refs she knows out there were amazed to see her not taking part as they rate her highly.

If there is funding for British Ladies Foilists you have to wonder why Kate has been missed out, especially as pretty much all the other girls who have been in those same to few places have been funded for comps with team events at least and she has not had any support through the period.

All I can say is that she has a longer term plan to fulfill her potential whether she gets BF support or not and she is stubborn enough to ensure she does succeed whatever. Watch this space....

fencingmum
-10th March 2008, 18:03
Good luck, Kate. That all just seems to point up the discrepancies in the scheme that have already been discussed.

pigeonmeister
-16th March 2008, 21:16
After giving the WF's a bit of a kicking last week, I think it's only fair to point out that Martina Emanuel got a L32 at Budapest-which is a great result in a very strong field.

Foilling Around
-16th March 2008, 21:42
Great result Martina, well done.

Just a little point: I looked at the Budapest results.

Last 8 average age 31 years

9 - 16 average age 27 years

17 - 32 avaerage age 25 years

Experience counts in WF and we lose far too many of our women's foillist way before they meet their peak.

cesh_fencing
-16th March 2008, 22:08
Really good result, and I believe she defeated Hanna Thompson (USA) in the Last 64 who is ranked 19th on the World Rankings.

Kate went out after making it through the poules.

Anna only won 1 in the poule and did not make the cut so will probably drop to maybe below 15th on the Ladies Foil rankings as it was her Last 32 from last year at Budapest that was keeping her high in the rankings..