PDA

View Full Version : Stockholm ME Grand Prix

one4all
-8th March 2008, 21:32
Congratulations to Jon Willis on 12th place out of 196. Based on the results as posted (not yet verified by FIE) the NIF count is 2150 giving a total of 18834 points.

MatFink
-9th March 2008, 11:41
Well Done to JW

Another great result, plus looks like he is coming into form at just the right time.

Fingers crossed for Bejing :)

Well done

and well deserved.

PM1
-9th March 2008, 19:57
So, can someone tell me why he didn't fence in the team event today ?

MatFink
-9th March 2008, 21:35
the reply I recieved (not from Jonny or from Bob) was not very helpful, but there does appear to be an underlying issue

I believe this is the sort of thing best discussed in private but for my two pence worth in an Olympic year you back the best fencer to the hilt and many countries have change coaches to maximise the chances of their competitors performing at their peak and unhindered

Jonny is our top epee fencer, there is a good chance he will be our representative at the Olympic qualifier (although there are several other very talented and worthy fencers who could get there instead), with luck he may even get to the Olympics.

He is also the strongest team fencer I have seen within this country for a longtime.

Our world ranking in Men's epee has dropped 15 places in the last 4 years, and 4 years away from an Olympics I feel it would take someone very brave or very misguided to used anything other than our best available team.

Ultimately we have a world class epee fencer who has won a World Cup event (gaining BFA massive amounts of positive publicity), who is coming into form at exactly the right time assuming his aim is to peak for the qualification event)

It would be great to see Jon in Bejing (and I would hope with the coach of his choice by his side)

For now Well Done Jonny, awesome result.

Also well done to Jimmy for another really strong performance in the poules, on the back of that great result in Berne.

Kepster
-9th March 2008, 22:18
Just trawled through the blurb on the BFA site about the Olympic qualification procedure & as far as I can make out the only 2 men's epeeists who've made the Olympic Qualifying Standard (L16) are Willis & Bennett, with Jonny topping the special qualifying table they've devised as a consequence of the Stockholm results. Would seem the obvious candidate to go to the Qualifying Tournament to me? (No disrespect to any of the others for their efforts!)

The things I do to avoid my dissertation...