PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of foil

brettsbignose
-3rd November 2003, 00:41
Sirs,
I have wondered at how dangerous a foil can be, and have been concerned over how safe it is. I would like a picture of the tip and blade. Close-ups if possible.
Thanks,
Brett

Pointy stick
-3rd November 2003, 06:37
A 'steam' foil has a rubber tip about the same diameter as the blunt end of a pencil. An electric foil has a blunt (disc-shaped) tip about 6 or 7 mm across.

If you are wearing normal fencing clothing, the worst you will get is a bit of a bruise - assuming the blade doesn't break.

Injuries are avoided by (1) the bendiness of the foil, which absorbs the force of the impact; (2) proper safety clothing and mask; and (c) *if all else fails* technique. ;0)

If a foil blade breaks, it breaks off at a right angle. This presents some risk. Imagine being hit with a piece of metal with a tip about 3 mm x 6 mm (varies with different blade types). That's why you have the safety clothing.

Fencing is a safe sport. That's why most fencers smoke and drink, to add a frisson of risk to an otherwise sedate activity. ;)

Boo Boo
-3rd November 2003, 09:30
Originally posted by Pointy stick
That's why most fencers smoke and drink, to add a frisson of risk to an otherwise sedate activity. ;)

Not many I know in this country (UK) smoke, funnily enough (although most drink!).

However, go to a European event and most of the women (European foilists, at least) smoke like chimneys...! (wondering if smoking is part of the European teams' training schedules...)

Brett, do you have any specific concerns about safety in fencing? As Pointy Stick says, its not geerally the tip of the foil that is dangerous but the stump of a broken blade if the blade snaps during a fight. However, with the right protective clothing on, you should be ok.

Fencing is very safe (safer than golf and fishing!), it can hurt and there is always a possibility of some completely freak accident. BUT you have considerably more chance of being hit by a bus or struck by lightening... ;)

Boo

brettsbignose
-4th November 2003, 19:38
I was thinking what problems might come up with having foils around the house. If this might cause a problem with children?.
I thank your for your replies.

stevejackson
-4th November 2003, 19:47
Basically foils, like any weapon, are safe. Its the user who's dangerous. Foils therefore should not be left arround where they can be used unsupervised. Supervisors should ensure that the correct clothing is worn, the weapons are used as intended and are in a safe condition. Personally if I had children around the house I think I'd keep my fencing kit locked away unless I was using it.

oddball
-14th November 2003, 18:21
"Fencing is very safe (safer than golf and fishing!), it can hurt and there is always a possibility of some completely freak accident. BUT you have considerably more chance of being hit by a bus or struck by lightening... ;)"

SINCE WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO BE FENCING IN A ROAD SO YOU CAN BE HIT BY A BUS?!!

GOLF AND FISHING ACCIDENTS HAPPEN COS PEOPLE FALL ASLEEP FROM BOREDOM SO OFTEN!!
:jumprain:

jpy8
-15th November 2003, 20:00
The foil will not cause any damage really unless that it is used to cause damage!!:confused: Mind you with kids under 9 you best be safe and keep them away!!:sam:

Nev
-26th November 2003, 15:34
depends on your kids I think, but obviously ithe weapons shudnt be left out in the open, more because they are essentially long peices of metal, which regardless of a point or not can be harmful to the unprotected body and head.
I wouldnt go so far as to purchase a gun cabinet for them, merely put them in a locked cupboard or somewhere out of reach

as for the smoking remark, well I used to smoke in between veery bout if I could :grin: and I'm happy(?) to say I wasn't the only one...course I've given up now, but thats neither here nor there

2ndpl=1stloser
-26th November 2003, 22:58
children are expensive. offset the cost of a good lawyer and/or custodial sentence/fine vs upkeep over 10 yrs and reach your own conclusion. Factor in adverse publicity according to whether you see that as a good or bad thng