PDA

View Full Version : has Richard kruse qualified for the olympics ?

Highlander
-19th March 2008, 00:04
Does anyone know if Richard has qualified or not for the olympics ?

StabInTheDark
-19th March 2008, 00:44
Does anyone know if Richard has qualified or not for the olympics ?

It would seem so - see:

http://www.fie.ch/download/homepage/fr/FM%20EF%20Qualification%20Individuelle%20Provisoir e.pdf

madfencer
-19th March 2008, 00:46
In this year or 2012?

2012 is obviously undecided yet, and I don't think it's yet confirmed who will be going to the Olympics this year. Even if people have qualified it is up to Mr Watts to make the final decisions on who goes.

There was an interview with Richard Kruse recently and he has very high hopes for the Olympics this year, so I think he's in with a good chance of going again.

Kepster
-19th March 2008, 01:02
If my understanding of the qualification procedure is correct (no guarantees!), then he's not there yet. From the qualification criteria:

There are 24 places for each weapon discipline that are divided as follows:
In no case may a country qualify more than 2 fencers per weapon.
the first 8 of the FIE individual Adjusted Official Ranking, 2 fencers maximum per
country;
the first 8 of the FIE individual AOR by zone, 1 fencer per country, (3 for Europe, 2
for Asia-Oceania, 2 for America and 1 for Africa );
the first 8 from the zone-qualifying event (1 fencer per country and per weapon)
which are open to those countries which have no-one selected by the two preceding
criteria for the weapon concerned (3 for Europe, 2 for Asia-Oceania, 2 for America and
1 for Africa).
AOR * The Adjusted Official Ranking is the FIE Official Ranking modified as follows:

The names in red on the document StabInTheDark linked to are those who have qualified via the rankings. Since no Italians or French are eligible to go to the European Qualifying event, RK will be the second highest ranked there behind whichever of the two Russians is chosen to go. If he finishes in the top 3 in the qualifier then he's off to Beijing...

madfencer
-19th March 2008, 01:25
If my understanding of the qualification procedure is correct (no guarantees!), then he's not there yet. From the qualification criteria:

The names in red on the document StabInTheDark linked to are those who have qualified via the rankings. Since no Italians or French are eligible to go to the European Qualifying event, RK will be the second highest ranked there behind whichever of the two Russians is chosen to go. If he finishes in the top 3 in the qualifier then he's off to Beijing...

I think that what you are saying is right Kepster. Selection is a bit complicated for GBR! Good luck to him!

Kind of sureal seeing my regular training partners having qualified for the Olympics for WE :eek:

pigeonmeister
-19th March 2008, 08:20
Even if people have qualified it is up to Mr Watts to make the final decisions on who goes.

I don't think Mr Watts has any say at all.

JulianRose
-19th March 2008, 09:17
I don't think Mr Watts has any say at all.

he has a say in who goes to the zonal qualifer, but if you qualify as an individual then he can't stop you!

he would also select the team (along with other people) if we were to qualify a team.

Ronald Velden
-20th March 2008, 10:14
Richard has missed out on automatic qualification.

He has not competed in World Cup events in February or March through
injury and I believe is preparing for the European Zonal Qualifier,which
takes place in April.

madfencer
-20th March 2008, 14:01
Richard has missed out on automatic qualification.

He has not competed in World Cup events in February or March through
injury and I believe is preparing for the European Zonal Qualifier,which
takes place in April.

Hope Richard is better soon. Kulcsar is also having injury probs for ME - not sure if he's got automatic qualification or not.

O*N
-20th March 2008, 14:09
These are the two weapons then that don't have a team event attached at Beijing. I didn't realise the weapons without 'team qualification' became even smaller again.

Be interesting to compare who misses out compared to the other weapons. The third member of strong team nations are going to be pretty badly hit I would imagine - Italy and China have very highly ranked fencers missing out for example.

JulianRose
-20th March 2008, 22:25
like the fact that cassara ain't going at the moment as number 6 in the world.

Foilling Around
-20th March 2008, 22:37
like the fact that cassara ain't going at the moment as number 6 in the world.

I makes a mockery of having the best fencers there, but if the FIE had not invented a continental influenced qualification system then I strongly suspect that fencing would have been kicked out of the Olympics as being too Eurocentric.

MatFink
-21st March 2008, 16:29
Women's Epee

Qualified Direct from World Ranking

Li CHN, Heidemann GER, Szasz HUN, Flessel-Colovic FRA, Kiraly-Picot FRA, Logounova RUS, Zhong CHN, Duplitzer GER

Qualified under Zone from World Ranking

Schalm CAN, Mincza-Nebald HUN, Branza ROM, Shutova RUS, Hurley USA, Jung KOR, Parkinson AUS, El Sayad EGY

Men's Foil

Qualified Direct from World Ranking

Baldini ITA, Joppich GER, Sanzo ITA, Le Pechoux FRA, Kleibrink GER, Ota JPN, Lei CHN, Zhu CHN,

Qualified under Zone from World Ranking

Or ISR, Choi KOR, Chida JPN, Mocek POL, Meinhardt USA, Guyart FRA, McGuire CAN, Nagaty EGY,

MatFink
-21st March 2008, 16:40
By team direct from World ranking:

France, USA, Russia, Ukraine,

By team from zone from World Ranking:

China, Poland, Canada, South Africa,

Individually from World ranking:

Marzocca ITA, Bianco ITA, Lee KOR, Kim KOR, Nagy HUN, Chow HKG, Bujdoson GER, Benitez VEN, Besbes TUN, Larios MEX,

MatFink
-21st March 2008, 16:47
By Team Direct from World Rankings:

France, Hungary, Russia, China,

By Team from Zone from World Rankings:

Belarus, Korea, USA, Eygpt,

Individually from World Ranking:

Limbach GER, Montana ITA, Covaliu ROM, Pina ESP, Tarrantino ITA, Bravo VEN, Rebai TUN, Agresta BRA, Kothny THA, Lam HKG,

MatFink
-21st March 2008, 16:55

France, Hungary, Italy, Poland

Ukraine, Venezula, Korea, South Africa

Videira POR, Kelsey USA, Kauter SUI, Fischer SUI, Avdeev RUS, Wang CHN, Mattern USA, Nishida JPN, Tikhomirov CAN, El Ashery EGY

MatFink
-21st March 2008, 17:01

Russia, poland, Hungary, Italy

China, Germany, USA, Eygpt

Nam KOR, Stahl ROU, Hatuel ISR, Sugawara JPN, Jung KOR, Maitrejean FRA, Leleyko UKR, Gonzalez VEN, Boubakri TUN, Luan CAN,

MatFink
-21st March 2008, 19:41
The only way for a British fencer to qualify is via the European Zone qualifying tournament. This is traditionally very tough, but as Richard showed 4 years ago it is by no means impossible.

The selectors will have to decide which fencers to send (where either more than 1 or no fencers have met the specified qualification criteria)

but here are a few stats that I am sure they will be considering.
(I have only included fencer within a sensible ranking range of the top fencer in each category)

Women's Sabre

Louise Bond-Williams 50th on the Olympic Qualifying list
(also a strong result in 2004)

Jo Hutchinson 58th on the Olympic Qualifying list
Chrystall Nicoll 73rd on the Olympic Qualifying list

Louise has the track record and the ranking so I would assume we will be going with her again, although both Jo and Chrystall certainly have the ability to get the job done. I have know doubt whoever is selected will deliver a good performance.

Men's Sabre

Neil Hutchinson 125th on Qualifying list
Alex O'Connell 130th on Qualifying list (previous World Cadet Champion)
Chris Buxton 132nd on Qualifying list (current British Champion)

I don't know enough about Men's Sabre to be brave enough to comment here, but 7 places between the three will make that one a tough decision.

Men's Epee

Jon Willis 43rd on Qualifying list (Winner of a World Cup!!)

Also worth noting that Jon has recently beaten Wang Lei (2006 World Champion, Silver medallist in 2004 and confirmed qualifier for Bejing)

Women's Foil

Martina Emanuelle 112th on Qualifying list

Martina is over 40 places clear of the next GBR Women's folist on the list

Men's Foil

Richard Kruse 25th on Qualifying list (Good result 2004)

Richard is well clear of the other foilists on the list and got through the qualify successfully in 2004.

Women's Epee

(There are no women in the top 100 on the list, however it should be noted that Women's epee has not recieved the same level of financial support as other weapons and have therefore not attended the volume of tournaments as the other weapons)

Jo Maynard (IMHO) would be the logical choice, although there are several other strong candidates. Jo is No.1 on the ranking, and with strong World Cup results over the last few years is cleary our most experienced international fencer. Of course for me the clincher is could she qualifying, and of all our fencers Jo is the only one to have turned over in DE fights fencers of the level that will be faced at the qualifier.

pigeonmeister
-21st March 2008, 20:03
I thought that there will be no GBR WF, WE, MS fencers at the Olympic qualifiers- as they have not really come close to getting the qualifying standard of a L16?

Red
-21st March 2008, 20:35
WE and MS can go if the BOA is convinced of their 2012 medal potential.

WF can still go as Marseilles (yet to happen) is the last nominated world cup. With any luck we will all get terribly excited when both Martina and Anna come home with brilliant L16 results.

MatFink
-21st March 2008, 20:41
Lets face it, its not like a World Champs, the results mean nothing they are not actively observed or measure, you either qualify or you don't

The competitions are a lottery with such a small field top fencers can easily draw each other and it is possible for any competant international fencer to have a good day and we get another fencer at the Olympics.

Not sending fencers to this event is basically announcing that British Fencing acknowledges these weapons to be lost causes, and that there is little point pursuing or supporting them to 2012.

I would be very surprised if this is the message British Fencing wants to give out to the world at large. For my money Maynard on a good day could qualify, Emanuelle on a good day could qualify, and any of the three sabre boys on a good day could qualify.

As the Lord said to the Irishman in the old joke 'Paddy I didn't desert you, but people have to meet me half way, you prayed to me every week to let you win the lottery, I just wish once in your life you'd bought a bloody ticket!'

If you don't enter, you can't win. The one way we can garauntee that we don't get Olympic fencers is to not send them to the qualifying event.

thedoc
-21st March 2008, 21:12
I don't think you can blame British Fencing here. I believe the Olympic Qualification standards have been set by the BOA and if you haven't got a Last 16, then tough.

This makes Jon Willis' last-minute L16 the other day very timely for him, because until then he wasn't qualified to go to it. Mind you, Tom Bennett was probably a bit hacked off.

There is a list on the British Fencing website of the current state of play.

Essentially, going to the qualifying tournament will be Richard Kruse, Jon Willis and Jo Hutchison (unless LBW pulls something out of the bag in Algiers). No-one else.

O*N
-22nd March 2008, 10:25
A full report of those who have qualified for Britain for the zonal qualifiers is available here (http://www.britishfencing.com/British_Fencing.asp?PageID=916).

From this list it looks like British fencing are going to send, as things stand:

Jon Willis (ME)
Richard Kruse (MF)
Jo Hutchinson (WS)
No one for (MS, WE, WF)

Note that there is still one more event in WS and WF.

Red
-23rd March 2008, 00:01
WS is over. If that document says there's one more it was published before Lamezia Terme.

Ronald Velden
-23rd March 2008, 08:48
I believe that there is still a Womens Sabre in Algeria and that Louise Bond-Williams has entered this. She can technically qualify automatically for Olympics if she wins a medal.

However, Jo Hutchinson appears to be in poll position if Bond-Williams fails
to achieve that result.

MatFink
-23rd March 2008, 23:35
Looks like Jo Hutchinson is our woman.

Of course as with all these places I dare say it would jumping the gun to congratulation (or comisserate) anyone just yet.

Big meeting on Thursday to work it all out :)

Highlander
-24th March 2008, 01:41
Why Jo and not Louise who has a higher world ranking?

Red
-24th March 2008, 09:33
The IC nominated 8 competitions over the last year or so, best three (or four) results from those and those only count towards a mini ranking for selection.
LBW may have done better overall (and therefore got a better world ranking) but JoJo did better in the nominated ones.

MatFink
-24th March 2008, 09:41
Basically strong arguements could be made for both, but the short version is:

Our agreed criteria for qualification agreed with BOA is based around a NIF point system rather than taken from world rankings. There are pluses and minuses to this as our system is fairer overall but can tend to favour fencers one off high results. The world ranking tends to reward consistancy but does not account for the genuine strength of each tournament.

Under our system (for the record my system of preference) Jo is in the lead.

There is not much in it world ranking wise, LBW is more experienced but then the only way to get experience is to do stuff and with 2012 looming it would be a positive move to have more than one fencer in this weapon with experience of this type of event.

Of course after Thursday all of this will be academic so I would suggest, wait and see, and probably watch this space :)

Ronald Velden
-24th March 2008, 10:31
As matters stand Britain are likely to send fencers in three disciplines [MF,ME,WS] to the Olympic Qualifiers under the rules set by the International
Committee.

However, there may be a case to send Emmanuel in Womens Foil as well,
because according to my calculation only 3 fencers from European Countries
who have not automatically qualified are ahead of her in FIE list.

Only Angad-Gaur [Holland] has a significantly better ranking and on current
form she might just have a chance.

Qualification is a precarious process and there is no guarantee that any British
Fencer will qualifiy for the Olympics. If that happened then it would be for the
first time in modern Games.

Therefore there may be a strong case for maximising our shots at qualification.

Boo Boo
-24th March 2008, 10:54
AND the TOP THREE finishers in the European Zone Qualifier qaulify for the Olympics...

...as you say, the Zonal Qualifier is a "precarious" process (it is such an odd competition, things do not always turn out as expected). BUT you would think that going into a competition - where the top 3 finishers qualify - as the third seed would put you as a fairly good person to back :)

That is assuming that we would send Martina and not Anna - I don't know the "ins and outs" of the ICs' minds...

I don't know about MS and WE, BUT with the very precarious nature of the Zonal Qualifiers (and the top 3 qualifying) makes them a very open opportunity for all of those attending. I really do hope that we send out a full contingent of fencers.

Boo

As matters stand Britain are likely to send fencers in three disciplines [MF,ME,WS] to the Olympic Qualifiers under the rules set by the International
Committee.

However, there may be a case to send Emmanuel in Womens Foil as well,
because according to my calculation only 3 fencers from European Countries
who have not automatically qualified are ahead of her in FIE list.

Only Angad-Gaur [Holland] has a significantly better ranking and on current
form she might just have a chance.

Qualification is a precarious process and there is no guarantee that any British
Fencer will qualifiy for the Olympics. If that happened then it would be for the
first time in modern Games.

Therefore there may be a strong case for maximising our shots at qualification.

Ronald Velden
-24th March 2008, 11:39
I think that there are only 2 qualifiers in European Zone where there is Team
Event.

France,Rumania and Ukraine have not qualified in team event, but have fencers who have qualified as individuals. Therefore the only nations with
unranked fencers above Emanuel are Holland,Austria and Khazakstan

Of these only the Dutch fencer would be considered out of reach based on current ranking. There is also no guarantee that these fencers will be participating in the Olympics.

Eloise Smith failed to qualify for Sydney. The Dutch girl was the qualifier, but
the Dutch Olympic Association decided then not to send her.Smith was then
allocated a discretionary place by IOC.

Boo Boo
-24th March 2008, 12:08
Sorry, yes, you are correct: 2 qualifiers from Europe for weapons with a team event in that Olympics. It is still a good position to be in, though: 3rd seed in a competition where the top two qualify.

I thought that it was Nele Schouterden (BEL) who qualified for Sydney, but then wasn't sent by her federation. But I am probably getting confused.

Boo

I think that there are only 2 qualifiers in European Zone where there is Team
Event.

France,Rumania and Ukraine have not qualified in team event, but have fencers who have qualified as individuals. Therefore the only nations with
unranked fencers above Emanuel are Holland,Austria and Khazakstan

Of these only the Dutch fencer would be considered out of reach based on current ranking. There is also no guarantee that these fencers will be participating in the Olympics.

Eloise Smith failed to qualify for Sydney. The Dutch girl was the qualifier, but
the Dutch Olympic Association decided then not to send her.Smith was then
allocated a discretionary place by IOC.

xmalparry
-24th March 2008, 14:06
This matFink guy seems to know a lot. Is he on the Board or something?

MatFink
-24th March 2008, 14:13
There will be board members having cardiacs as they read at that idea.

All the information is out there, but some of it is hard to find, so just trying to give those who are interested what snippets I have gleaned on the journey this time round.

But as I have put several times before all discussion is basically redundant until Thursday.

Foilling Around
-24th March 2008, 14:19
Ron and Lois obviously have the upper hand on me in terms of working out the qualifiers but, given the arguments set out above, it should give Keith convincing arguments with the BFA.

I hope that Martina does get to go to the qualifier as she has worked really hard this year travelling back and forward to compete in 7 UK events as well as the World Cup events.

Although effort should not necessarily bring reward, if it is not accompanied by success, Martina is quite young in international WF terms and has seemed for quite a while to be on the edge of breaking through into world class.

Average ages of the top 100 in the WF rankings

1-10 29.5
11-20 26.3
21-30 28.9
31-40 24.7
41-50 25.9
51-60 26.6
61-70 25.8
71-80 24
81-90 28.7
91-100 23.6

Only 18 fencers in the top 100 are younger than Martina and 14 of those are ranked 65th or below.

45 of the current world top 100 are the same age or older than Martina will be in 2012. The same applies to a number of the top womenn's foilists.

The upshot is that success at WF is not a sudden or easily achieved thing. Taking Martina to the Zonal Qualifier would be an investment for the future and she has a good chance of qualifying.

Actually the information above could easily be calculated for the other weapons, it took me about 10 minutes to do. It can also be a good reminder to the current crop of young women's foilists that should not give up just because they are getting somewhat of a bad press at present. There is a lot of talent out there. You need to keep working hard and working smart.

xmalparry
-24th March 2008, 14:30
Why would Board members have cardiacs? And why is Thursday so important?

MatFink
-24th March 2008, 14:35
Second Thursday is when Keith and Graham will meet with the BOA to discuss who will be selected to represent us at the qualification events

xmalparry
-24th March 2008, 14:38
Sorry, you say they know why? But we don't, going to enlighten us?

MatFink
-24th March 2008, 14:46
This is sensible thread being contributed to by people who have largely been on the forum for a longtime and are also not anonymous nor make any attempt to be such.

I apologise to the others contributing for the fact that I allowed my self to be drawn as far I as I have already been away from the discussion at hand, and into what is a disturbing pre-occupation with me, my views and my relationship with the board.

Lets just all wait until Thursday, Keith and Graham has been consistantly good at communicating information about this matter on both the BFA website and in Keith case on the forum..

Matt

xmalparry
-24th March 2008, 14:51
O.K. but you posed the comments, I merely asked the questions. Perhaps if you don't like to be asked about what you said you should, (a) not have posted the points, or (b) ask for them to be edited out.

If you have gone public don't try to hide afterwards.

Oh! I thought the whole point of this forum was to use "Forum names". Anonymity rules mate.

MatFink
-24th March 2008, 14:54
Can we pleased return this thread to topic.

xmalparry
-24th March 2008, 14:57
Sorry, not sure how your views are dissassociated from the thrust of this thread. You seem content to express "insights" and "opinions" but when pressed say that they are off topic and should be dropped. I refer again to my points (a) and (b). You took the thread where it is, you intrigued us but now you don't want to play anymore. Shame. It looked as though your real views and insights might have been quite enlightening. never mind, perhaps we should just ignore in future!

MatFink
-24th March 2008, 15:21
Although I thought my views were clear in brief:

Kruse and Willis I would like to think are obvious choices for everyone.

Women's Sabre has two strong candidates, my personal leaning woukd be towards Jo Hutchinson on balance, but really very little to pick between her and Louise.

I have no view on Men's Sabre as all three are strong candidates, but I am sure there are those more familiar with MS who could offer their views.

Emanuelle is a logical choice, she appears to becoming in form at the moment, she has a good chance of qualifying and she is young enough to make a real attempt at 2012.

Maynard I also feel is a logical choice, she is experienced, has a track record of strong results and with 3 places up for grabs has to be considered a real possibility of qualifying.

As for my relationshp with board members, the majority of forum users are aware that I do not always see eye to eye with individual board members in all issues, and that quite heat discussions have been had in the past over a number of issues. I do however respect and value the current group of board members and generally feel that BFA is head in the right direct under their management.

If anyone really wants to push me on this point I am more than happy to discuss at length any of my thoughts privately an with people who are happy to make themselves know to me.

In an attempt to return this thread to topic, I will not be commenting on it again until after Thursday when we will know for sure who has been selected.

Matt

pigeonmeister
-24th March 2008, 15:39
I think that the final allocation of non qualified fencers to the EOQ will come down to the dynamics of the BF-BOA relationship. On the face of it, it appears that BF will have to convince the BOA that those selected without reaching the standard are medal potential for 2012.

From the BF qualifying guidelines..

"However, due to the importance of British success in London 2012, the BOA may consider a performance case for an athlete who has not achieved the OQS but who will have medal potential in 2012."

In reality, I'm not sure if BF have the raw data to be able to do this. I do, however, suspect that BF want more people to go to the OZQ. Which is why they may well be able to convince the BOA that individuals such as Emmanuel (whose semi final I ref'd at Brum and who was miles ahead of the field) deserve a crack at Beijing. Hard to say, of course.

UglyBug
-4th April 2008, 12:27
Has it been announced yet as to who gets to go to the zonals? I would like to offer my services as bag carrier and shoe polisher.

hokers
-4th April 2008, 12:39
see slightly heated debate in the Martina Emmanuel thread...

No is the short answer.

Adam Blight
-13th April 2008, 23:35
Iris Rau, fencing for Taiwan, sets of for the Asian Olympic Zonal Qualifier taking place next week in Bangkok and also the Asian Championships. She has to win the qualifier to get a place. Another British trained fencer who has a chance to try for it.

Boo Boo
-14th April 2008, 06:42
Iris Rau, fencing for Taiwan, sets of for the Asian Olympic Zonal Qualifier taking place next week in Bangkok and also the Asian Championships. She has to win the qualifier to get a place. Another British trained fencer who has a chance to try for it.

Very best wishes to her - would be fantastic if she qualified :)

Adam, in case it doesn't filter down any other way, can you post an update on how Iris gets on please?

Boo

nickos
-14th April 2008, 12:38

Good luck Iris:fencingsm !!!

Dalesman
-15th April 2008, 09:11
Good luck Iris:fencingsm !!!

Yea, go stick it to them :D

Tubby
-16th April 2008, 11:51
I'm hoping it all goes well for you Iris. Wear your white rose with pride.
Andrew Chang

PM1
-16th April 2008, 13:18
I'm hoping it all goes well for you Iris. Wear your white rose with pride.
Andrew Chang
Seconded, Iris !!:not_worth :D :not_worth

Adam Blight
-22nd April 2008, 20:22
Iris Rau went out 10/9 in the Asian Olympic Qualifier today to end up 9th. Found herself trying to catch up from behind and not quite getting there. Ah well, Asian Championships on Thursday, Likely to be pretty tough.

Boo Boo
-23rd April 2008, 06:45
Iris Rau went out 10/9 in the Asian Olympic Qualifier today to end up 9th. Found herself trying to catch up from behind and not quite getting there. Ah well, Asian Championships on Thursday, Likely to be pretty tough.

Ooooh! Unfortunate for Iris. Still, good experience for 2012 - hopefully she will be unstoppable by then :)

Best Wishes to Iris for this Thursday.

Boo

Tubby
-23rd April 2008, 17:42
Thanks for posting the result Adam. I'm gutted. Let Iris know that we are cheering her on over here for the Asian.

tigger
-23rd April 2008, 19:10
Anyone know if there'll be on-line live updates anywhere for the European Zonals this weekend?

Boo Boo
-27th April 2008, 14:12

Well done to Iris for 9th at the Asian Championships - looking at the results, that looks like a good result (http://www.fie.ch/Competitions/ResultsList.aspx?Key=772BD5BE225C01DFD098829579533 4A3).

The event was won by one of the top Japanese, Nam (KOR) 5th, the rest of the L8 taken up by the top Chinese, another Korean and someone for Kazakstan. Total entry 47. Finishing 9th, I assume that Iris did very well in the poules too.

The 16 WC Ranking points will see Iris almost in the FIE top 100.

Boo

Boo Boo
-27th April 2008, 14:21
Tried to edit last post, but ran out of time... The L8 was made up of top Japanese (FIE ranking 17th), Nam (KOR) 5th (FIE 5th), the rest of the L8 taken up by the top Chinese (FIE 11th, 26th, 30th, 40th), another Korean (FIE 18th) and someone for Kazakstan.

Boo

Baldric
-27th April 2008, 14:49
and someone for Kazakstan.

Borat? :D

Boo Boo
-27th April 2008, 14:51

Wearing a flourescent fencing thong...??? :eek:

Excuse me whilst I go and scratch my own eyes out with a sharp stick... :whistle:

Boo

Foilling Around
-27th April 2008, 16:00
Tried to edit last post, but ran out of time... The L8 was made up of top Japanese (FIE ranking 17th), Nam (KOR) 5th (FIE 5th), the rest of the L8 taken up by the top Chinese (FIE 11th, 26th, 30th, 40th), another Korean (FIE 18th) and someone for Kazakstan.

Boo

No, Olga Antipova, who beat Catriona 15:11 in the final of the Cole Cup last year, Catriona having won in the poule.

Foilling Around
-27th April 2008, 16:04
And Iris did lose to the eventual winner!

Adam Blight
-29th April 2008, 00:23
A good result, she was annoyed to loose, having just figured out that she could hit with second intention disengage counter-ripostes(!!!) overcoming the longer distance of her opponent. The only fight she lost in the poule was to Nam (Kor). Very anoyingly she came ahead of the Austrailian girl who took the place for the Olympics in the qualifier. The difference is she got some sleep!!!! She hadn't managed to sleep at all before the qualifier and was dead after 3 poule fights. If only! If only! I am trying not to dwell on this.