PDA

View Full Version : Identification

three_spirits
-4th November 2003, 19:17
hello all (again)

thanks for all your help so far but........

i've inherited some foil/epee parts, wires, barrels, tips etc and most of it is identified, however, i've got some wires that aren't. so, are all wires the same? i know epee has two wires and foil has one but that's about it!

cheers

Rdb811
-4th November 2003, 19:28
Nearly - Leon Paul and Allstar are different thicknesses and have difference designs of the plastic bit at the top. Plastic sheaths for the Allstar do not fit on th Leon Paul wires. ( I assume you're talking about weapon wires).

three_spirits
-4th November 2003, 19:38
thanks roger, it is weapon wires, but if there is any other general ID advice about tips, barrels etc, i would appreciate that too.

stevejackson
-4th November 2003, 19:57
If all else fails take them to the armourer at a competition (big open might be best) and ask them to help. A bribe of coffee will turn them positively garrulous.

Rdb811
-4th November 2003, 20:14
Again, Leon Paul and Allstar have sllghtly different barrels / tips / springs (which can be a bit hard to spot) - not forgetting the different sizes of grub screw.

three_spirits
-4th November 2003, 21:05
looks like i've got alot to learn!

Rdb811
-4th November 2003, 21:28
Usually the night before a competition, the hard / expensive way.

tigger
-5th November 2003, 09:27
If all else fails take them to the armourer at a competition (big open might be best) and ask them to help. A bribe of coffee will turn them positively garrulous.

The only problem being it wll take you 3 hours to stop them talking about the relative merits of 1mm and 1.1mm wire thicknesses :grin:

sparkymark567
-5th November 2003, 15:14
Originally posted by tigger
The only problem being it wll take you 3 hours to stop them talking about the relative merits of 1mm and 1.1mm wire thicknesses :grin:

You get what you pay for, and since it's usualy free (or there about) then I guess you'll have to pretend that your interested and join in the conversation. Then maybe they'll put your foil to the front of que.:)

stevejackson
-5th November 2003, 19:33
I have never spent any time discussing 1mm v 1.1mm wire, 26 v 30 ISWG now theres a topic for debate.

sparkymark567
-6th November 2003, 16:48
Originally posted by stevejackson
I have never spent any time discussing 1mm v 1.1mm wire, 26 v 30 ISWG now theres a topic for debate.

Which is far more interesting over a cup of coffee, whilst fixing my foil.