PDA

View Full Version : Best Sword-fight in film?

frank_drebin
-5th November 2003, 18:18
Hey guys, just pondering what is the everyone's favourite sword fights from the movies?

Here are a few of mine, in no particular order:

Darth Vader vs. Luke Skywalker, Empire Strikes Back

Darth Maul vs. Obi Wan Kenobi and Qui Gonn Jin, Starwars Episode 1, Phantom Menace

Edmond Dantes vs. Count Mondego, The Count of Monte Cristo.

Connor McLeod vs. The Kurgan, Highlander

The Three Musketeers and D'Artagnan vs. The Cardinal's Guards, The Three Musketeers.

James
-5th November 2003, 18:49
i think this thread was done a while back
but i'd have to say the fight at the end of "blade"
or in fact the bit in "blade" where the vampires hand is ripped apart by the blades that come out of the handle. not sure if that counts as a sword fight(unless you mean a fight between a person and a sword rather than two people both with swords).

James

symon
-5th November 2003, 20:57
it's gotta be ALL the bouting sequences between Harvey Keitel & Keith Carradine in the movie THE DUELLISTS!!:fencingsm

uk_45
-5th November 2003, 21:05
I think it has tp be for star wars at least Yoda Vs. The count guy in attack of the clones!

hokers
-5th November 2003, 22:36
Surely Inigo Montoya vs The Dread Pirate Roberts ??

Mantis
-5th November 2003, 23:01
Originally posted by hokers
Surely Inigo Montoya vs The Dread Pirate Roberts ??

I'll second that.

Long time since I saw it, but I seem to remember noting that when Darth Vader was fighting Luke Skywalker at the end of The Empire Strikes Back Vader was producing some textbook parries, while Luke was making huge swipes in return.

pinkelephant
-6th November 2003, 10:35
And I'll third it.

Dave Hillier
-6th November 2003, 10:38
yup I'll fourth that.

But I have just bought the mark of zorro and haven't had a chance to watch it yet so my opinion might change.

Gav
-6th November 2003, 11:08
Yes, all the bouts in The Duellists.

The end duel in Scaramouche is excellent as well.

bufc99
-6th November 2003, 11:55
It's getting a bit ridiculous now but I'll fifth that. The Princess Bride rules, though there are some good fights in the zorro films and star wars ones.

TAJ83
-6th November 2003, 12:18
I'm sorry. I also have to say the Princess Bride. I also like the fight at the end where Inigo kills the guy with six fingers. That's great!

I still haven't seen Scaramouche! :(

HankfromBath
-6th November 2003, 12:44
Sad I know, but the fight in the P.B is brill, as is the whole film.

Whilst on films...... anybody else a fan of Babys Day Out ?

Cracks me up.

H

hokers
-6th November 2003, 12:59
While we're on the subject, Inigo's passatta soto to kill the 4th(?) guard in the castle is also something pretty special.

Little clip (trailer) here:
http://media.blockbuster.com/qt/theprincessbride_fox.mov
For anyone who hasnt seen it..

hokers

Tarmac
-6th November 2003, 14:37
obviously the P.B, Kill Bill has some fantastic work, but the old classic black and white zorro fights contain something like 120 move sequences all done on one camera angle.. now that's skill.

Marcos
-6th November 2003, 14:59
anything with Errol Flynn

Tubby
-6th November 2003, 18:14
chicks at it in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon to name only one. (Oh and I am not PC, a chick is a chick is a chick ):dont:

hokers
-6th November 2003, 19:31
Originally posted by Tubby
chicks at it

:eyerise: :eyerise: :eyerise:

Sorry, had to be done.

Moose
-6th November 2003, 20:48
Dirty man.

For sheer comedy value, from "Red Sonya" the fight between Arnie and the bird plaing Red Sonya was fairly cool :)

Tarmac
-6th November 2003, 20:49
wasn't that brigette neilson?

symon
-6th November 2003, 21:09
yeah it was tarmac!!

Tarmac
-6th November 2003, 21:11
how come i can remember cr*p like that? And why hasn't anyone mentioned Highlander yet... oh right.... best sword fight... gotcha:tongue: still, i enjoyed it...

Moose
-6th November 2003, 21:14
Trouble with swords fights on screen is where you can see them blatently aiming at the opponent's sword rather than the opponent himself.

Tarmac
-6th November 2003, 21:18
which ,incidentally, is what a lot of newbies spend most of their time doing i've noticed. as indeed i did at one time too... bless em ;)
and if we're talking about classic sword moments in the movies... the bit in reloaded where reeves takes that blade on his hand... now that's a sequence!

Marcos
-7th November 2003, 09:09
Originally posted by symon
yeah it was tarmac!!

Tarmac is Bridgette Neilson?

cool

Moose
-7th November 2003, 15:22
Hmmmm, can I have an autograph?

Tarmac
-8th November 2003, 13:51
hmmm.. i'm a little shorter, not as blonde and too male to be bridgette... mind you its amazing what science can do these days;)
but you can still have my autograph moose.. it'll be worth something one day...

uk_45
-8th November 2003, 14:41
Yeah a Big Mac and fries.:tongue:

Moose
-8th November 2003, 21:39
Nah, a Happy Meal if he's lucky :tongue:

fencingmaster
-9th November 2003, 09:30
1: Danny Kaye !! The film was titled somthing like 'The Court of King Aurthur' and I believe he was fighting Basil Rathbone
2: Anything with Basil Rathbone - pity he always had to lose to inferior swordsman, but then cinema rarely lets reality intrude on its fantasies.

Tarmac
-9th November 2003, 21:45
Originally posted by Moose
Nah, a Happy Meal if he's lucky :tongue:

oooh i dunno... if ya covered it in petrol it would at least triple in value!!:tongue:

Moose
-10th November 2003, 00:26
Only if you set fire to it...

HankfromBath
-10th November 2003, 13:37
Not quite as good as the P.B but the fight scene in Rob Roy.

Rapier v Claymore.

Could do with a Claymore at Bath sometimes - that would slow the bu**ers down a bit !

H

Moose
-11th November 2003, 03:03
Mmmmm, claymore's are tasty, if the rapier fencer was fast enough it would be no contest, but if he let the guy with the claymore get a decent swing he'd be up brown creek without a paddle :grin:

Gav
-11th November 2003, 09:16
Having just got hold of a DVD copy of The Duellists I can definitely say that it's fight scenes are among the best I have seen. All the more remarkable considering the amount of money available to the filmakers (Dir: Ridley Scott) and that Harvey Keitel hadn't held a sword in his life before they started filming. As a side note Duellists was the inspiration [in terms of style and fight direction] for The Count of Monte Cristo (latest version - and also a film I would recommend) according to its director.

Some of the films that have been missed by the guys on this board:

The Four Musketeers (Michael Yorke and Ollie Reed version) - a truly excellent swashbuckling film.

Robin Hood - The Errol Flynn version lampooned in Men in Tights.

Le Bossu - Obscure French swashbuckler but well worth watching. Some of the fights are excellent and it preserves many of the conceits from earlier swashbucklers. Trifle over long but brilliant all the same.

The Three Musketeers - If I remember it stars Spencer Tracy [of all people] but it's also brilliant.

Moose
-13th November 2003, 04:46
I liked the sword fight in Indianna Jones, guy pulls out sword and waves it round, Indy shoots him :grin:

uk_45
-13th November 2003, 14:43
Pure classic

Moose
-13th November 2003, 18:29
Apparently it was meant to be a big whip vs sword fight, but on the day of filming Harrison Ford had the shits so needed to get filming over with and it was the only way they could get it done beween his toilet trips :)

Rdb811
-13th November 2003, 23:44
I thought it was an ad lib.

Moose
-14th November 2003, 01:47
Often the best moments are adlibbed tho...

rjrc1
-8th December 2003, 12:52
The finalish scence of "The Man in the Iron Mask" yes unfortunatily you have to sit through the rest of the film and watch Leonardo De Caprio and the pretty awful storyline but the fight is good.

Also the bit in that film where Gabrille Byrne throws his sword through the fountain and hits the assasin. Wish you could do that in a bout, I might score some points that way.

Rob

Rdb811
-8th December 2003, 13:03
Originally posted by rjrc1
The finalish scence of "The Man in the Iron Mask" yes unfortunatily you have to sit through the rest of the film and watch Leonardo De Caprio and the pretty awful storyline but the fight is good.

Also the bit in that film where Gabrille Byrne throws his sword through the fountain and hits the assasin. Wish you could do that in a bout, I might score some points that way.

Rob

Cheers - I'd just about forgotten how bad that that film was, not to mention Walthamstow and my friends spartan house. (This was the the day he moved out, thank God - as a parting shot the Victoria line was closed as we left).

foilerist
-11th December 2003, 22:28
pirates of the caribean, the fight in the smithy, when johnny depp meets orlando bloom is pretty good especially the footwork on the rafters.

uk_45
-2nd January 2004, 17:39
Zoro any of the fights!

SalleRoseCoach
-4th January 2004, 11:24
Also an oldie but the fight in The Great Race (that takes off the 'Prisoner of Zenda' fight) Especially good were the 'shadow sequences' and of course 'the escape'?

Gav
-5th January 2004, 07:15
The Filmhouse in Edinburgh ran a bunch of swashbucklers over Christmas:
Robin Hood (Errol Flynn version)
Scaramouche
Captain Blod
Pirates of the Carribean

I got to see Robin Hood. It was ace, although it was weird to see it only take up half the screen - I guess they used different sized film back then. Unfortuantely I missed the rest but those that went thoroughly enjoyed them.

UglyBug
-5th January 2004, 07:57
Originally posted by foilerist
pirates of the caribean, the fight in the smithy, when johnny depp meets orlando bloom is pretty good especially the footwork on the rafters.

:pirate:

Hear hear. Good fighting and rather fine people doing it *swoon* :)