PDA

View Full Version : Veterans OWN Winton CUP

Linda L
-9th April 2008, 11:48
Dear all
The NVA is delighted to announce that we have been presented with a magnificant Cup by Sir Nicholas and Bobby Winton.
The cup has beeen presented for a team competition, and this year will run
13th and 14th September at a venue ( yet to be sorted) in the Midlands.

We hope to run 9 FULL 6 weapon teams and with your help we can make it an event ot be proud of .
A gala dinner is also being held on Saturday evevning.

So if you are veterans age (over 40) but are not a member please join and make yourself known to the contacts to be found in this months Vets Newsletter. If not PM me and I will be delighted to put you forward for team selection.
Advanced fencers, beginners , intermediates all welcome.

check out www.veterans-fencing.co.uk

miker
-10th April 2008, 07:14
Shame there is no invitation/accommodation for Scots. I am dissappointed in NVA. I know that we have diffficulty in mustering teams but...:mad:

Will I be eligible for some team North-Of-Watford?

Maybe try and get 'country' membership at Wrexham and blag into Wales team then...:whistle:

Linda L
-10th April 2008, 12:00
Shame there is no invitation/accommodation for Scots. I am dissappointed in NVA. I know that we have diffficulty in mustering teams but...:mad:

Will I be eligible for some team North-Of-Watford?

Maybe try and get 'country' membership at Wrexham and blag into Wales team then...:whistle:

Hi Miker

Its not that there is not an invitation for the Scots, I just had to pick 9 to start with. And we did try and get a Scots team for the 4 nations, to no avail. My original idea was for 10 teams:do you think you could put together a full team of 18? Teams of 3 at all 6 weapons ?If so PM me and I can sort it , it it not too late.
I am looking at venues this very wekend and if I have 10 teams I will make sure I get a venue large enough.
I am also expecting that fencers from regions not on the list contact me so we could include them in other teams. OR how about a 10th team of Barbarians. I am open to all suggestions. But please get back to me either here or via my email in the Vets newsletter. We would love another team.
Dont be disapointed in the Vets: work with me and we can get your team in!
regards
Linda

miker
-10th April 2008, 12:23
Linda

I am well aware of the problems we had forming a SCO vets team for 4 nations and apologise for letting everyone else down.

SCO vets are working on a team for Celtic Challenge and if we are successful (in forming a team) I am sure we'd like a pop at the Vets Winton.

I will share this info with fellow SCO vets to kindle some interest/reaction.

I personally would also welcome the opportunity to fence on a Barbarians Vet team if that arises and there's no SCO team.

Thanks for your consideration and your efforts in putting this together, Linda. :not_worth

Linda L
-10th April 2008, 13:11
I will share this info with fellow SCO vets to kindle some interest/reaction.

I personally would also welcome the opportunity to fence on a Barbarians Vet team if that arises and there's no SCO team.

Ooo I hope you get a team, the more the merrier: We want this to be a really great weekend for all Veteran Fencers, we want it to be fully inclusive.
Lets get those fencers out of the woodwork that we know are there and come and fence!! I will look at organising 10 teams, possibly Scotland, possibly Barbarians.
Watch this space. And if anyone just wants to help on the day, PM me.
Linda

Keith.A.Smith
-12th April 2008, 20:46
Dear All,

Sounds a great idea but I think we will miss all you VETS at the BFA AGM.

Keith

marg
-13th April 2008, 21:00
Dear All,

Sounds a great idea but I think we will miss all you VETS at the BFA AGM.

Keith

Oh Dear, you wouldn't be relying on vets to swell the numbers at the meeting I hope Keith! Shame there is a clash but these things happen.

I think the Veterans Winton is a great idea. I really hope I can take part in the South West team even if i am not going to be allowed anywhere near a sabre on the day !!

Linda L
-22nd April 2008, 07:14
[QUOTE=Linda L;193595]Dear all
The NVA is delighted to announce that we have been presented with a magnificant Cup by Sir Nicholas and Bobby Winton.

Somewhere in a Fencing venue Veterans are plotting a great weekend.....

THIS IS THE PLAN SO FAR.................

We are fencing at
Lilleshall National Sports Centre: near Telford.

Saturday 13th September 2008

Sunday 14th September 2008

We have 9 full teams fencing so we will run the competition over 8 rounds, with 4 pistes per weapon and one team resting each round.
The team “resting” will be required to referee those fencing. No exceptions.

Saturday: provisional running order.

Arrive 8am and lay pistes (as many fencers as possible please)
Fencing starts at 10.30.
Each round is allowed one hour.
Three rounds are fenced and then we take a lunch break of 1 hour.
We anticipate supplying a light lunch: cost to be investigated.

Restart at 2.30 two more rounds are fenced and we break for the evening.
There is a bar on site or back to the hotels.

GALA DINNER AT THE PARK INN HOTEL SATURDAY NIGHT!!!

Sunday Provisional Details
Start fencing at 10 am, fence for 3 more rounds and then end with medals and a lunch.

Bobby and Sir Nicholas Winton are planning to be with us to present the Cup.
Again the cost of the lunch will be extra. We are negotiating now.
All clear the pistes and off for 3 or 4

Hotel deal The Park Inn Telford.

The Park Inn Telford will hold 100 rooms for us until 1 month prior to the event.

For 2: Sharing B and B £60 per room per night (Twin or Double room).

Single: £50 B and B per night.

Dinner on Saturday will include a disco and is extra to the hotel deal. We hope to keep the cost to £25 to £30 per person for dinner and the disco. Black tie: optional.

If we do get another team from Scotland we can cope Mike!! Let me know asap.

Please PM me or see the Vets Web site/ Newsletter for your local Rep/Team.

Lets make it a great weeekend.

Linda

miker
-22nd April 2008, 12:35
Nice venue!

I did a fencing personal performance course there in 77 or 78, I think, run by Tom Norcross, Rosie Castle and Pat Pearson.

Not only did we improve our fencing but learned to play croquet (!!!) and boy was that competitive.... :eek:

Linda - do not give up on us Scots quite yet. I'm still working on it.