PDA

View Full Version : London International University Fencing Cup (LIUF) XII

The_Boy_ODwyer
-13th April 2008, 10:04
Hosted by UCL Fencing Club, the London International Universities Fencing Cup is one of Europe's largest friendly international student fencing competitions and a unique event, combining a very high level of fencing with a friendly student atmosphere. It is a mixed (male and female), individual competition including all three weapons. In the past eleven years, it has seen fencers of all abilities, from Olympic medallists to beginners in their first competition, representing universities from four continents. Guests have included the President of the British Fencing Association, a member of the Executive of the British Olympic Association, a member of the International Olympic Committee and our very own Dean.

This years competition takes place over 7th-8th June, with mixed Foil on Saturday and mixed Epee and Sabre on Sunday.

We hope that students from your university, whether they have come year after year or for the very first time, will be able come to London and compete.

For further details, and entry forms please either visit our website:
http://www.uclunion.org/fencing/liuf/index.php
e-mail us @
uclu.fencing@gmail.com
And/or join the facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=9028689972

AussieMongrel
-13th April 2008, 17:21
I am doing a part time degree in business with the Open Univeristy, can I enter?

The_Boy_ODwyer
-13th April 2008, 17:53
Yep, its open to all students, we normally have several Ulumni along aswell. This normally works as a good bit of friendly fencing between BUSA seasons and as a great way of meeting fencers from different countries...

TLove
-13th April 2008, 19:19
We will be there, of course :)

gbm
-14th April 2008, 22:01
The Cardiff horde will descend... :whistle:

TLove
-14th April 2008, 22:57
Bringing your mascots?
Wonder where yours went last LIUF ... :whistle:

Bayston
-15th April 2008, 11:45
Might try and get the Aber lot down but long way to travel is there any where cheap such as uni accomodation or a B&B within walking distance of the comp?

pigeonmeister
-15th April 2008, 12:31
The Brum lot have stayed at the Generator youth hostel last 2 years. It's a fun place, very lively with its own cheap bar. It's about 20 a night and about a 10-15 minute walk from the venue.

http://www.hostels247.com/GENERATOR__LONDON__HOSTEL_hostel/

Sadly, I wont be there to defend my title! It's an absolutely great comp though-strongly recommend people attend.

The_Boy_ODwyer
-15th April 2008, 12:50
Hey,

If you're quick with your entries, we have about 60 places on the sports hall floor. Its 10 a night for that, which includes a cooked breakfast at a cafe down the road. I say be quick if you want to cos it fills up with foreign fencers generally, so if you want to hang around and drink with the Germans :drink:

What I don't think is mentioned so far is that we'll be hiring our Union bar on the Saturday night for a party which promises to be a bit epic... Should be 1.50 a drink all night :D

UglyBug
-15th April 2008, 16:12
PM me if you need referees... am feeling unusually generous with my time at the moment - catch me while it lasts!

AussieMongrel
-16th April 2008, 09:49
Yep, its open to all students, we normally have several Ulumni along aswell. This normally works as a good bit of friendly fencing between BUSA seasons and as a great way of meeting fencers from different countries...

Cool, count me in.

TLove
-16th April 2008, 11:42
Ulumni

I think when we have our Alumni match, we'll call it the 'ULUmni' match. Cheers for that ;)

gbm
-23rd April 2008, 00:33
Should probably get our entry sorted then! We brought about 13 people last year?

PS is the limitation on floor space just the limitation of mats, because I tend to bring my own (through experience).

The_Boy_ODwyer
-23rd April 2008, 11:09
hey,

Its not just mats, there's only a certain amount of the hall that isn't taken up with pistes...

And yes,
Get your entry done!

:D

Red
-23rd April 2008, 12:00
Small question - Is this a comp where AU insurance will do, or does everybody need BF membership?

The_Boy_ODwyer
-23rd April 2008, 13:20
You should be covered by your AU insurance...

Red
-23rd April 2008, 13:42
Thanks.

The_Boy_ODwyer
-8th May 2008, 15:56
hey,

Just a reminder to everyone that entries for LIUF close on 23rd of May. I have just sent e-mails to all the University contacts I have, but thought I'd try to remind everyone on here.

Entries to be sent to:
uclu.fencing@gmail.com

Thanks

James

The_Boy_ODwyer
-2nd June 2008, 12:31
Hey all,

Just a reminder to all who have entered that LIUF is THIS WEEKEND.

More info at www.uclu.org/fencing

And for anyone who hasn't entered yet please e-mail uclu.fencing@gmail.com.
A late entry fee will NOT be charged unless you enter on the day.

Thanks

James

KJK
-4th June 2008, 15:05
Tried to send in two entries for epee but hotmail told me the e-mail address was invalid. Yes I did check that I had copied and pasted it correctly! can I pm you with entries?

Gangsta G
-4th June 2008, 15:35
Is it possible to leave fencing bags at the venue on Saturday night?

Vallangton
-5th June 2008, 10:12
yes you can leave bags at the venue as people are staying overnight so there should always be some people there.

AussieMongrel
-5th June 2008, 10:38
Hey all,

Just a reminder to all who have entered that LIUF is THIS WEEKEND.

More info at www.uclu.org/fencing

And for anyone who hasn't entered yet please e-mail uclu.fencing@gmail.com.
A late entry fee will NOT be charged unless you enter on the day.

Thanks

James

I tried to pay Valarian at Scimitar the other night but he robbed me of the chance and robbed me in the fight when he did not acknowledge my beat attack.... I think he might secretly be Australian ;-)

The_Boy_ODwyer
-5th June 2008, 11:21
Don't payment until registration on the day... See you all at the weekend!

Keith.A.Smith
-5th June 2008, 17:04
Dear All,

I really hope this goes well.

I have been along before and it is a great competition.

Keith

AussieMongrel
-6th June 2008, 12:02
Not sure if it is my browser but can not get details of event to come up. Can you post details of Sabre when and where?

Vallangton
-6th June 2008, 12:41
for everyone:

saturday: foil only, check in 9.00-9.30

sunday: epee, check in 9.00-9.30
sabre, check in 10.00-10.30

aiming to start poules half an hour after latest check in for all weapons.

AussieMongrel
-7th June 2008, 11:39
and where.... closest tube stop etc???

coachcarson
-8th June 2008, 19:45
and where.... closest tube stop etc???

Looks like you found a tube map and the right station to take 3rd place. Well done Marc!! Maybe by the time you finish your Phd you'll win the event ;-) By all accounts your L8 fight against the strong American was the fight of the day.

Red
-9th June 2008, 08:17
Sabre results (as far as I remember)

1 - Valerian Langton
2 - Daniel Redshaw
3 - Ben Townend
3 - Marc Oakes
5-8 - Martin Egry (GER), ??? Ellis (USA), One of the Dutch guys, someone else.

septic_belgian
-9th June 2008, 08:51
Well done Marc-T and A

The_Boy_ODwyer
-9th June 2008, 11:09
Thanks to all who showed up for making LIUF 12 such an excellent weekend for all those involved.

Special thanks to UglyBug for her excellent refereeing and general input, and to gbm for all his help with the computers.

And of course to all my helpers from UCL who made it all happen :not_worth

I'll post a link to the final results once we've got them collated and posted.

Well done to all competitors and I hope to see you all again next year for LIUF XIII

Thanks again

James

Gangsta G
-9th June 2008, 11:20
I'd just like to say a big THANK YOU to Valerian, James, Guy and all the rest of the UCL team for a great comp. And hats off to Suse for giving up her weekend to referee!

UglyBug
-9th June 2008, 11:21
All very welcome... Although the foil genuinely made my brain hurt.

ME3
-9th June 2008, 11:22
Thanks for a great weekend guys. Thoroughly enjoyed myself, will be there next year and hopefully get a few more people from my uni along.

fa266
-9th June 2008, 12:00
Any WS results?

Red
-9th June 2008, 12:39
Any WS results?

No MS results either as its mixed.

TLove
-9th June 2008, 16:33
Just S results then

The_Boy_ODwyer
-9th June 2008, 19:44
Regarding results, I am doing the paperwork over the next couple of days, once that is all done, our webmaster will post the results on our club website...

UglyBug
-10th June 2008, 00:11
Not ONLY did I referee vast amounts of foil (beautifully consistently, if a little sabre-esque) but I now have two of the French fencers from Bordeaux University (the winning epeeist and his teammate) staying at my flat after their accommodation fell through

How do I get myself into these things??? (They are very well behaved and nice to have around though!)

TLove
-10th June 2008, 00:22
The best bit was when we got In The Box (see attached).

The_Boy_ODwyer
-10th June 2008, 10:38
I'm sure Barry would be happy to receive that box... I certainly would ;)

Maxim
-14th June 2008, 17:01
By the way, UCL guys failed to mention that ULU won the overall LIUF XII

TLove
-15th June 2008, 12:50
By the way, UCL guys failed to mention that ULU won the overall LIUF XII

:cup: Indeed we did!

We now have to keep UCL's name off their own shield for as long as possible :P

AussieMongrel
-18th June 2008, 10:31
results?

sabre_monkeyman
-18th June 2008, 15:08
Ulu Rules!

Hot Bot
-21st June 2008, 10:12
Any results? just wondering

Maverick
-2nd July 2008, 11:22
http://www.uclu.org/fencing/liuf/results/2008

Hungry Hippo
-2nd July 2008, 17:23
Wow, lots of overseas fencers in those results, truly an international competition!

How come the girls don't get to have their own seperate competitions, even just a seperate DE after mixed poules?

The_Boy_ODwyer
-3rd July 2008, 08:44
Mainly due to time constraints, we are discussing changing the format for next year, but are yet to reach a decision...

Gangsta G
-3rd July 2008, 12:03
I like the current format. It's one of the only opportunities men and women get to fence against each other in a competitive format.