PDA

View Full Version : Citizenship and Youth Events

Tech
-7th November 2003, 09:25
There seems to be some confusion:

BYC or British Youth Championships are the latest title for the event that was orginally titled "National Schools Championships" that was open to all fencers at school in the UK.

The 'National' became 'British' after complaints that four nations are involved - Scotland, England, Wales and N Ireland. 'Schools' became 'Youth' after very many wasted hours discussing whether someone at a Technical College was eligible to enter, etc., etc.

But there has never been any suggestion or wish to change the idea that they are open to all BFA fencers either at School or resident in the UK.

British Championships (as in Senior, Junior and Cadet) have always been only open to British Citizens who are members of British Fencing. This is common practice would a GBR Citizen be eligible to enter the French or Australian National Championships if they happened to be living there??

;)

Boo Boo
-7th November 2003, 09:48
Although the British Senior/Junior/Cadet are open to people of dual citizenship who live in the UK and have BFA membership, but who compete (in A-grades) for other countries? (i.e. Alp Orge - TUR - and Jacqui Esimaje - NGR)

Boo
(has a feeling that she caused the confusion - sorry :( ).

srb
-7th November 2003, 10:15
Originally posted by Tech
There seems to be some confusion:

The 'National' became 'British' after complaints that four nations are involved - Scotland, England, Wales and N Ireland.

;)

Surely the National Schools Championships were originally the National Age Group Championships (N.A.G.C's). The trophy for what was the N.A.G.C. U/16 Boys Foil was engraved something along the lines of 'Championship of the United Kingdom'

srb

Marcos
-7th November 2003, 10:21
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Although the British Senior/Junior/Cadet are open to people of dual citizenship who live in the UK and have BFA membership, but who compete (in A-grades) for other countries? (i.e. Alp Orge - TUR - and Jacqui Esimaje - NGR)

Boo
(has a feeling that she caused the confusion - sorry :( ).

spot on - e.g Steven and Andrew Fenwick, David Downey, who fenced (and did very well) in the UK champs, but who also have (dual) Irish citizenship whilst living in Northern Ireland

altho I understand they had to buy new breeches as they couldn;t fence with the irish colours they use when at Junior A grades

Boo Boo
-7th November 2003, 10:28
Marcos

Is David Downey an epeeist and living in the Bristol area?

Boo

Marcos
-7th November 2003, 11:02
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Marcos

Is David Downey an epeeist and living in the Bristol area?

Boo

U18 sabreur living in Derry, NIR

Boo Boo
-7th November 2003, 11:07
Ok, there is another "Downey IRL" who fences Epee in the Bristol area.

But then, Downey may be a common Irish name :)

Boo

Tech
-7th November 2003, 14:36
"..Surely the National Schools Championships were originally the National Age Group Championships (N.A.G.C's). The trophy for what was the N.A.G.C. U/16 Boys Foil was engraved something along the lines of 'Championship of the United Kingdom'..."

Sorry srb, but I was right. It was the National Schools when the Youth Committee (there were earlier names) was founded in the 60s (I was Treasurer). Later I was Chairman and initiated the change to NAGC and opened it to those U18 but not at School. All the trophies were engraved along the lines of U18 Schoolboys Champion, so we encouraged people to present trophies for the NAGC. When I was running it the U18 winner received the NAGC Trophy and the highest placed still at School (often the same) the Schools Trophy, I assume this is still the case.

In Ireland they have the situation that British Citizens can opt to fence for the Republic or GBR. Fencers who choose to fence for the Republic of Ireland, while it would bar them for competing for GBR in A Grades, as GBR Citizens they can fence in the GBR Championships provided they are members of the BFA.

Hope this is clearer??**
;)

srb
-7th November 2003, 16:21
Tech's even older than me.

srb

Boo Boo
-7th November 2003, 16:22
Nah, he can't be THAT old... :)

Tech
-8th November 2003, 00:17
Thanks Boo Boo, I had only just started work when the Schools Fencing Union (SFU) (precurser of Youth Committee) was formed!

;) :o

Australian
-8th November 2003, 00:58
Originally posted by Tech
This is common practice would a GBR Citizen be eligible to enter the French or Australian National Championships if they happened to be living there??

you most certainly are allowed to enter the australian national championships :)

unlike you guys, we don't restrict entry to just citizens

Marcos
-8th November 2003, 09:03
whereas Ireland do - you have to be eligible for an Irish passport to fence in the Irish Nat Champs. (tho not necessarily have one)

winners last year included Downey in MS and Peter McCafrey in MF