PDA

View Full Version : World Team Championships (MF/WE)- Beijing

Hassan
-18th April 2008, 12:37
http://www.fencing2008.org.cn/en/index.html

nickos
-18th April 2008, 13:38
Thanks Hassan,

It looks like GBR men's foil had a close match against Poland leading until the 6th bout and eventually losing 40 - 45. They then beat Canade and Ukraine to finish 9th.

Keith.A.Smith
-18th April 2008, 15:37
Dear All,

A good result by our MFT.

Well done.

Keith

hamsandwich
-18th April 2008, 17:02
why is there an individual MF competition and no WE comp? or am i blind?

Red
-18th April 2008, 17:48
Seems to be an 'Invitation Tournament' with a 10000 Euro prize. Probably there because the organisers wanted it to be.

Keith.A.Smith
-18th April 2008, 18:10
The MFT and WET are World Team Championships as neither is in the Olympics in 2008 and the MF individual is the Olympic test event to test out all the organisation, logistics etc of the venue.

Keith

Boo Boo
-18th April 2008, 20:42
It looks like GBR men's foil had a close match against Poland leading until the 6th bout and eventually losing 40 - 45. They then beat Canada and Ukraine to finish 9th.

Wow - sounds like nail-biting fencing! So close to beating Poland... but after the loss they worked hard to win all of their classification play-off matches. :not_worth

No GBR women's epee team (although I have posted that question before - with no answer)?

Very best wishes to the MF in the individual competition :)

Boo

Boo Boo
-19th April 2008, 11:25
Are the MF Individual Poules today? Can only see, on the schedule, the L64 down to start at 9am tomorrow (can't see ny mention of the poules)... :confused:

Boo

rpryer
-19th April 2008, 11:39
If it is an Olympic test event, then they maybe won't have pools, as there are none at the competition proper.

Boo Boo
-19th April 2008, 11:49
If it is an Olympic test event, then they maybe won't have pools, as there are none at the competition proper.

Ah maybe.... maybe that is why it is some sort of "invitational" with prize money. Presumably it doesn't count as an A-grade then (since run to different format etc)?

The test event for Athens was a proper A-grade (with poules etc). It was WF and possibly WS too I think.

Boo

Red
-19th April 2008, 12:51
On the FIE calendar it's an official event - so doen't carry world cup points.

Keith.A.Smith
-19th April 2008, 17:39
Dear All,

In answer to Boo Boo GBR has no women's epee team as they did not qualify on the FIE ranking system. The competition is limited to 16 teams.

think the MF will be DE from the beginning like the Olympics.

Keith

Boo Boo
-19th April 2008, 19:07
In answer to Boo Boo GBR has no women's epee team as they did not qualify on the FIE ranking system. The competition is limited to 16 teams.

Thank you - I did not realise that only the top 16 teams qualified for the Team World Championships.

I have only just found out how many teams are in the WE Team World Rankings :eek: (40?). I hope that our WE team does more team events this year - to get a much more realistic World Ranking :)

think the MF will be DE from the beginning like the Olympics.

It appears so - tomorrow's draw is already up: http://imagesx.sports.cn/File/2008/04/19/1956591612.pdf

In the L64:
- Halsted vs Li (CHN)
- Riseley vs Zhang (CHN)
- Cook vs McGuire (CAN)
- Beevers vs Caplliure (ESP)

Best wishes to all :)

Boo

Keith.A.Smith
-20th April 2008, 11:57
Dear All,

Laurence and James won in the L64 but both lost narrowly to Baldini(ITA) and Joppich(GER) in the L32.

Keith

Foilling Around
-20th April 2008, 14:55
Cassara wins the Olympic test event in Beijing

see link below

http://www.fencing2008.org.cn/en/news/2008-04-20/32076.html

Ironic really considering that even though he is ranked 6th in the world he is likely to miss out on the Olympics at he is the 3rd ranked Italian!!