PDA

View Full Version : New editon of the sword

Jambo
-7th November 2003, 15:01
Spot the deliberate mistake on the front cover. Great advert for technique there!! On another point anyone else getting transparent mask advert overload?!

Gav
-7th November 2003, 15:03
Not recieved a copy. We normally get a copy with The Sword. But as things stand within SF I don't know when I am likely to get that. :(

Jambo
-7th November 2003, 15:04
Originally posted by Gav
We normally get a copy with The Sword.

? Do you mean the SF mag?

Gav
-7th November 2003, 15:24
Originally posted by Jambo
? Do you mean the SF mag?

It was sooooo tempting to be cheeky! Yes I am [of course] referring to our very own Scottish Fencing magazine.

rory
-7th November 2003, 16:00
What Gav means (if he doesn't mind me interpeting...) is that we normally get a copy of "The Sword" included with our vastly superioir (!) SF magazine "The Point".

Gav
-7th November 2003, 16:12
Originally posted by rory
What Gav means (if he doesn't mind me interpeting...) is that we normally get a copy of "The Sword" included with our vastly superioir (!) SF magazine "The Point".

*cough cough

Yes.
quite
That's what I meant - of course!

Jambo
-7th November 2003, 16:14
I sense sarcasm :grin:

uk_45
-7th November 2003, 16:50
YOu know what so do I. Oh well that's Gav for you.

doobarz
-7th November 2003, 17:02
Anyone for copyright infringement in advertising with Mr H's Spiderman mask on the back cover??

uk_45
-7th November 2003, 17:03
Depends, who owns the copyrite on it?

Jambo
-7th November 2003, 17:20
On Spiderman? I'm guessing it aint Leon Paul!

uk_45
-7th November 2003, 17:24
Yeah i would doubt it but it is one of the best masks I've seen and so does make a good advert for painted masks

Mantis
-7th November 2003, 21:16
Charming picture at the bottom of page 18 as well. Remember, folks, always wear a mask. :o

PM1
-7th November 2003, 22:56
Tee hee - I got an article and a picture in this issue !!!!! Stopped moaning about content and did something about it - no Nobel prize for literature, but so what..........:grin: :cool: :cool:

Australian
-8th November 2003, 00:33
any chance of an online copy?

Jambo
-8th November 2003, 09:00
Considering they cant even keep the sabre rankings up to date I doubt it.

PM1
-8th November 2003, 12:23
now now, J, not the attitude of an aspiring paed.......and It's unlikely The Sword will go on line as it's face cost is 4 and is sent to BFA members as part of the membership deal. That's as I see it, anyway. Not that I'd mind, like.......it might ensure I always SAW a copy.................

moan over.

Jambo
-8th November 2003, 12:26
I'm just getting wound up cos I may have broken through into the top 100 this month (with luck). Seeing as I'm missing the Welsh I'm hoping Leicester was worth a lot.

PM1
-8th November 2003, 12:45
can't help you there, chuck. epee has Rodders to update the rankings faster than the speed of light, when he has been in DT. I guess it's partly down to results being passed on quickly, tho' I know they are up on the results page.

Don't worry about it - think pleasant thoughts and GET BACK TO THE REVISION!!!!! after you've dipped into the Sword for your light entertainment, that is.......:grin: :grin:

Jambo
-8th November 2003, 12:54
You mean you've noticed how often I'm on the forum at the moment?? Busted! :o

PM1
-8th November 2003, 12:57
....that does NOT mean i'm on too much...tho' i have been accused of forgetting to feed the family because i've become a computer geek - they forget i do a lot of work on the computer to buy the food i forget to prepare.......:(

symon
-8th November 2003, 13:11
Originally posted by doobarz
Anyone for copyright infringement in advertising with Mr H's Spiderman mask on the back cover??

but would'nt the infringement be on Mr H's part??? being as spiderman is a trademark of Marvel Comics, they would hold the copyright and to use it you would need to be asking Marvel for use of the copyright!

NoT V gOOd!
-8th November 2003, 21:43
The mistake on the front, is that Dominique is rolling her backfoot on her lunge therefore collapsing it.. So its teqniqly wrong. Shame, that was in the times 2 and my coach went 2 me "Look your can have a bad lunge and still be National Champion", No offence meant 2 dom she still batters me :)

Eddie
-22nd November 2003, 19:46
there would be no copyright issue with Laurence's mask. Because he is not pretending to have come up with the idea for spiderman himself, as had been previously acknowledged on here; the mask is of spiderman which is a trademark of marvel comics not a trademark of Laurence.

However if he started selling and marketing masks with spiderman on them then that might be investigated by marvel comics.

basically if you wanna paint up your mask there is no reason why you should not. and if some one takes a photo of it and uses it on their site it's fine. Leon paul are advertising the fencing (or quite possibly the fencer) rather than a new line in spiderman masks.

I think it would be great to see more masks painted up, it's not as if it is doing any one any harm is it.

symon
-20th February 2004, 23:38
Originally posted by Jambo
I sense sarcasm :grin:

i don't think i know him/her are they good fencers/what disapline do they fence :grin:

Mantis
-26th February 2004, 11:03
New edition of the Sword is out and it contains this article. (http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1116&highlight=Glassings)

Pointy stick
-26th February 2004, 16:38
I wrote the glassing article with The Sword in mind, decided it probably wouldn't be published, so stuck it in the forum so it wasn't wasted effort. I was then approached for permission for it to be in The Sword. Fame at last! if only I could feint, parry, flick and riposte, my fencing cup would overfloweth.

oddball
-27th February 2004, 11:35
Love the cartoon!

MiddleEarthNet
-27th February 2004, 17:03
Pointy stick its a very good story. The editor went for futuristic things this issue. I wrote the story on the page next to yours the one with lasers :).

Aoife
-29th February 2004, 20:47
I noticed the glassing article, and proceeded to push it in the faces of fencers I know who I tried to badger into reading the copy I printed off the forum but wouldn't, whilst saying "I TOLD you it was good! I TOLD you!"

Not that I was bitter that nobody I know paid any attention to something I regarded as hillarious :)

oddball
-1st March 2004, 11:29
Glassing, that could get popular over here. If it does, I may take up 24-7 mask wearing if in a pub!!