PDA

View Full Version : Alex's place confirmed !!

PM1
-7th May 2008, 22:28
Received a BOA email alert today that Alex has been selected as a member of Team GB for Beijing.

Well done !! NOW you can book the tickets, Jan :D

Neil Brown
-7th May 2008, 23:54
BOA Announce Further Member of Team GB

The British Olympic Association (BOA) today selected a further member of Team GB for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. The athlete, from the sport of fencing, is:
Alex O'Connell - sabre

Commenting on his selection Alex said:
"I am very excited to have qualified and been selected for the BeijingOlympics. My long term goal has always been to win a medal at London 2012 and on deciding to accept a place at Cambridge University, I accepted that this decision would not lend itself to qualifying for Beijing, but fortunately this has not been the case.

Consequently, I am very grateful to British Fencing for giving me the opportunity to qualify and for the support they have given me. I am also indebted to my family, coaches and training partners and I am so pleased that I have been able to repay the faith that has been shown in me.

It will be an honour to participate in Beijing as part of Team GB and it will provide a fantastic stepping stone towards London 2012."

Simon Clegg Team GB 2008 Chef de Mission, said:

"I am particularly delighted to welcome Alex into Team GB, as he is one of four British athletes who benefit from the IOC Olympic Scholarships for Athletes "Beijing 2008" programme which is facilitated by the BOA. His selection into Team GB shows these scholarships can make a real difference to athletes in their Olympic preparations. I am sure that he will be looking to build upon his recent performances and I wish him well in his final preparations for the Olympic Games."

Graham Watts, Performance Director, British Fencing:

"Alex showed a true warrior's spirit in Istanbul; At just 20 years of age, with comparatively little experience at this level, he defeated more experienced opponents, including a nail-biting victory by just one hit, against a very experienced opponent. Ukraine took the bronze medal in this event in Athens but now won't be represented in Beijing due to the win by Alex; We have always seen him as a major prospect for 2012 but qualifying for Beijing is an early bonus".

free spirit
-8th May 2008, 09:46
Congratulations to Alex. To the parents as well.
It is brilliant that Alex ability and support is being rewarded.
Last but not least, congrats to D Sach who must also be -quite rightly- very pleased.

Boo Boo
-8th May 2008, 17:38
Fantastic news :) (although I would have been eating my hat if his selection wasn't approved...).

Best Wishes for a great Summer preparing and getting in the best possible physical and mental shape for Beijing.

How very exciting :)

Boo

madfencer
-8th May 2008, 22:49
Well done, and the very best of luck to Alex and his team. His place is well deserved.

StabInTheDark
-20th May 2008, 21:11
Nobody at British Fencing seems to have noticed - or thought it worth publishing - Lee Fawcett's success in gaining selection for the Paralympic team: he will I believe be fencing Sabre in Beijing at the end of August. It would be good for this achievement to be recognised and confirmed on the BF website at least, we complain from time to time about lack of recognition with fencing being a minority sport in this country and then appear to disregard our "own" minority of wheelchair fencers.

HMMMM.

Red
-20th May 2008, 22:52
Nobody at British Fencing seems to have noticed - or thought it worth publishing - Lee Fawcett's success in gaining selection for the Paralympic team: he will I believe be fencing Sabre in Beijing at the end of August. It would be good for this achievement to be recognised and confirmed on the BF website at least, we complain from time to time about lack of recognition with fencing being a minority sport in this country and then appear to disregard our "own" minority of wheelchair fencers.

HMMMM.

It could be argued that the BDFA/BPFA (whichever it is) hasn't really done much shouting about it - their website http://www.bpfa.org.uk/ seems to be out of action. Also, searching for 'Fawcett' on the British Paralympic Association's website yields nothing but old news - nothing newer than January 07. Bit of a poor show from them too.