PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself...

Simon
-9th November 2003, 02:00
Hello everyone,

I'm Simon. Epeeist, Essex Uni (Mature?) student, and also President of the University Fencing Club. I'm a new member of the forum. I'd appreciate your views on what you think of our new Uni Fencing Club Website (click below).

All the best and see you on the piste.

Simon

University of Essex Fencing Club (http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~fencing/)

Jambo
-9th November 2003, 09:02
Welcome to the forum. Is it me or does nothing work on the site? It looks quite pretty though!

hokers
-9th November 2003, 20:04
Welcome to the forum. Your site wants a VML plugin download, which you might find a lot of people have blocked in their browser security settings. To those people, there's nothing on the site except the front page.

hokers

Tarmac
-9th November 2003, 21:53
hello and welcome:grin:
we're all quite friendly here so enjoy yourself :)

Peanut_UK
-10th November 2003, 10:15
That link killed Internet Exploiter for me at work... will try it on a proper browser when I get home...

Anyhoo, welcome to the forum - loads of good stuff talked about here..

Peanut

Tihon
-11th November 2003, 06:45
Nice site, and welcome to the forum.

cheers

Tihon

Mantis
-11th November 2003, 10:51
Welcome to the forum, Simon.

Originally posted by Peanut_UK
That link killed Internet Exploiter for me at work... will try it on a proper browser when I get home...

Until MS release a Linux version of their popular (?) browser I am unable to reproduce this. In the mean time I will continue looking out for those low flying pigs.

The page works for me in a "proper browser" in Linux, which I find a little amusing as at least one frame claims to have been written in MS Word. Normally, pages like that only work in IE and cause problems with everything else. :grin:

If the problem is, as someone has already said, that you need a VML plugin I would recommend removing any VML code as I don't see anything that it is needed for. It does, however, use Javascript for the fancy roll-over links and this might be the problem some people are having.

Rdb811
-11th November 2003, 23:02
Originally posted by Mantis
Welcome to the forum, Simon.

Until MS release a Linux version of their popular (?) browser I am unable to reproduce this. In the mean time I will continue looking out for those low flying pigs.

The page works for me in a "proper browser" in Linux, which I find a little amusing as at least one frame claims to have been written in MS Word. Normally, pages like that only work in IE and cause problems with everything else. :grin:

If the problem is, as someone has already said, that you need a VML plugin I would recommend removing any VML code as I don't see anything that it is needed for. It does, however, use Javascript for the fancy roll-over links and this might be the problem some people are having.

Hate to say, but IE is the only standards based browser. I thought VML died years ago. Don'y use Word for web editing as it chucks in tons of XML and trashes your meta tags.

PM1
-11th November 2003, 23:12
when it's fixed, can somebody tell me, so that I can go look see??

Welcome welcome - madness rules....

Rdb811
-11th November 2003, 23:45
Indeed - as i've said before 'Welcome to the house of fun'.

And enjoy the tangents.

Gav
-12th November 2003, 08:53
Originally posted by Rdb811
Hate to say, but IE is the only standards based browser. I thought VML died years ago. Don'y use Word for web editing as it chucks in tons of XML and trashes your meta tags.

What a strange quote! IE is standards based? Don't think so.

Mantis
-12th November 2003, 08:55
Originally posted by Rdb811
Hate to say, but IE is the only standards based browser.

<rant>
Where did you get this from?????? I can site at least one example of where IE fails to follow the standards. See this page (http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/) for example. You see the list of links on the right-hand side of the screen? That should remain visible as you scroll down but, unless MS have got round to fixing it, it doesn't in IE. This works correctly in every other browser I know. By the way, that page is from the people who write the web standards, so I think they know what they are doing.

Pages that only work in IE are generally written in MS authoring tools like Frontpage and contain non-standard code which only IE understands. This does not mean that IE is the only standards based browser - rather it means that IE ignores standards. This article (http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5088642.html) may be of some interest to you.
</rant>

Opera, by comparison, is considered to be one of the most standard compliant browsers there is.

Simon
-12th November 2003, 10:21
Hi chaps,

Thanks for all the welcomes. I've been using word to dip in and update bits and bobs because it's so familiar to me (everyone!). I've used Frontpage for the rest but I've got Dreamweaver which I've heard is better. I'll check that out but it means extra time to get to know it. Either way I'll get the navigation links on the left fixed.

Cheers for all the feedback keep it coming.

Simon

:mexwave:

Peanut_UK
-12th November 2003, 12:13
vi is the only HTML editor you need... ;)

Rdb811
-12th November 2003, 17:44
I prefer Notepad (and Netobjects Fusion).

Tee hee - actually I was thinking of exposure of teh object model - I also suspect my knowledge might be getting dated.

symon
-12th November 2003, 22:30
well seeing another Simon i thought id say hello sooooo ........Hello:grin:

P.s. this is getting a bit too technical here :confused: with all the html thingys and other computer wotsits

Marcos
-13th November 2003, 07:30
obviously having gone to UEA whose main rivals were Essex nothing you lads do could impress me...
:tongue:

but yeah, nice(ish) website - like the fact that it is heavily geared towards encouraging new guys to take up the sport
:rolleyes:

main point of the post is to show-off, however
I personally won the final hit when we beat Essex by one point in a 1992/93 BUSA 1st round match !

Simon
-13th November 2003, 11:31
Ughh. We'll be back :terminato

We just fought City in BUSA and Richard Cruse turned up and whipped our arse. We got wasted at Foil and Sabre but beat them at Epee. So we can't be all that bad if we can beat a team that has Britain's No1 in it. It was great fun, a classic match. Nice guys as well.

UEA look out for the next Derby Day!

Simon

oddball
-14th November 2003, 11:59
..................is it just me or does your site not work?
looks good though!