PDA

View Full Version : Differences when training / competition

chortler
-10th November 2003, 11:28
A quick question,

Does any one fight differently when training compared to when they are in competition (i.e: fighting for points)

I'm think along the lines of different moves, tricks or a more/less aggresive/defensive approach??

Rdb811
-10th November 2003, 11:38
In theory you should try and be consistent - in practise it's a question of how tired one is and if you're trying to perfect what you've just be taught / experiment.

Plus you tend to have a certain appraoch against regular opponents, hence the need to fence as many different people as possible.

srb
-12th November 2003, 11:01
You should NEVER, EVER EVER make training your best event!

Is this a curse of British Sportsman?

srb

whizzkid1982
-12th November 2003, 12:23
i would say that training varies depending on what you are trying to achieve in the session. some seesions i will go along and try to put into practice what i have been doing in lessons. other times i will go and try to fence in a way i don't normlly fence just so that it gives me that option. i think that it is also useful to do some sessions that you treat a bit more like competition and actually try to focus and od as well you can in every fight. apply some pressure on yourself and see how you do.

Gecko
-12th November 2003, 12:31
It is a pity that 'training' here only refers free play: no-one seems to want to do structured training exercises with a partner, other than your individual lesson from the coach.

Secret Squirrel
-12th November 2003, 12:52
Originally posted by Gecko
It is a pity that 'training' here only refers free play: no-one seems to want to do structured training exercises with a partner, other than your individual lesson from the coach.

I feel that that can be a bit 'blind leading the blind' But that is when training with people at the same (low) level as me. I'd rather go over and over something again with the coach...