PDA

View Full Version : Are You A Teenager? Do You Fence?

James
-10th November 2003, 22:42
Come on then? How many of us are there?
(is there enough of us to get our own section on the forum?)
and what levels are you all?

im 17 been fencing 7months and enter a couple of opens.
im a mutant and presently have a cast on my right arm from falling over(not while fencing) and breaking a bone in my hand. its presently a right b****** to get through the sleave of a fencing jacket.

lets create a fencing youth culture where we can all pretend we're actually cool. also what else do you do in your free time? i take photos, listen to a good bit of punk and generally arse about.

James

Australian
-10th November 2003, 22:52
yes i am.

i'm 16, and fence in sydney, australia. I've been fencing seriously for about 2 years, and not seriously for a year or two before that. Fence more epee than foil nowadays, only been doing it for about a year, and only started up lessons in it in the past few months.

i've represented NSW (New South Wales, the state which sydney is in :P) 6 times at u/15, u/17 and u/20 levels... and am looking to go to the cadet world championships next year, although australia has tough selection requirements, so i'm not sure if i can get there.

mm, best result in an open is 18th...

what else can i say... meh :)

James
-11th November 2003, 08:45
oops forgot to say i fence epee
(probably because i dont actually believe the other weapons realy exist:grin: )

Muso440
-11th November 2003, 10:20
Originally posted by James
oops forgot to say i fence epee
(probably because i dont actually believe the other weapons realy exist:grin: )

So are they figments of our imaginations then?

James
-11th November 2003, 12:00
psst...muso, the matrix has you...
in the real world there is only epee...
foil and saber are just a complicated method of control

"a world without rule and controls, without borders and boundaries"

sounds like even recent film makers think that epee is the way forward...

James

Red Robot
-15th November 2003, 22:29
I'm 16, junior in highschool, and I've been fencing foil for 14 months.

Aoife
-16th November 2003, 12:24
Are you a teenager?

Yes!

Do you fence?

YES!

What do I win, what do I win???? :grin:

I'm 16 years old, I've been fencing for just over a year. I fence foil, as it's all my club offers (although I quite like the discipline..... and I'm short). I fence twice a week (Mondays and Tuesdays) at my school. We're a motley club of hooligens and hobbledehoys. On Mondays I help out with the year 7/8s, on Thursdays it's mostly year 10 and above (and there's a few boys on Thursdays from the local boys school- oh yeah, I'm at a girls' school). I'm the club secretary and assistant treasurer... which means lots of lovey paperwork.... but I enjoy it nonetheless.

I'm currently fitting As-levels in around my fencing, I'm taking English language and Literature, Sociology, Media Studies, and Government and Politics (of course, General Studies too, and a Key Skills in Communication.... whatever that is :shrug: )

I use to be an X-Files addict, so I occasionally slip into bizarre and obscure referances to the show. I write short stories and poetry. I use to write for a few political e-zines.

The days of the week when I'm not fencing after school I volunteer in a charity shop.

jonny
-16th November 2003, 13:00
I'm 16, live near Bristol and fence foil at Phoenix and Bristol Grammar.
I started fencing when I was nine but only started taking it seriously a year or two ago. I entered the Bristol Open and my name can be found somewhere very near the bottom of the results table.
I'm also play Ice Hockey (which I'm even worse at than I am fencing, but hey!) and like rugby (which I don't even try play!).
When I'm not fencing or playing ice hockey I'm usually at college or my girlfriend's who i love dearly.
I'm fairly sure foils aren't figments of my imagination although it wouldn't surprise me too much if they were. I also hold a grudge against all sabruers, although I'm not really sure why, possibly because of a fight/window bricking that occured at Millfield but I think I disliked them before that...

James
-16th November 2003, 16:00
i knew all this thread needed was Aoife to get it going.
i think we deserve our own forum

aoife - whats your general political stance?

James

Aoife
-16th November 2003, 16:49
My general political stance is liberal left-wing. (that's what come sout on the four point political compass anyway, and I agree with it's outcome :grin: ).

Check yourself on the compass here! (http://www.politicalcompass.org)

Muso440
-16th November 2003, 20:59
Originally posted by Aoife
My general political stance is liberal left-wing. (that's what come sout on the four point political compass anyway, and I agree with it's outcome :grin: ).

Check yourself on the compass here! (http://www.politicalcompass.org)

Hey, that's pretty good, thanks Aoife. (I'm a liberal lefty too :) )

Okay, I confess, i'm not a teenager at all (although I do fence - surprise!), I'm just being a weirdo lurking old (ish) person spying on you young folks ;) (Aka don't have a tv at home so have to provide amusement for myself by playing on the internet and reading any vaguely interesting threads...) And I teach older teenagers, so it's good for me to keep up with the young 'uns. ;)

If you all start writing in text message-speak, I'd probably give up and go away.

Australian
-16th November 2003, 21:26
yea i'm a left wing liberal too... but not much of one

a9entsmith
-18th November 2003, 03:22
Im a teenager and I fence! Hey what do ya know? Im 13 been fencing for like a year now...

Aoife
-18th November 2003, 13:53
If you all start writing in text message-speak, I'd probably give up and go away

So would I!!!!

Gav
-18th November 2003, 21:25
Yup liberal leftie as well. just off the centre though [worryingly close to 'New Labour' - ick].

Aoife
-19th November 2003, 09:10
Just of centre? I was further left and further liberal than Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama, and Gandhi! :grin:

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.87

Heehee... what a wooly liberal I am! (makes for fun in my Goverment and Politics lessons with a staunch Right-winger :) )

Anyone else try the Iconochasms down the bottom of the page (well, via the link at the bottom of the page)? Good fun... scarily I knew almost all of them.

Australian
-19th November 2003, 09:15
yeah i got most of them

contemporary history is nice :)

Gav
-19th November 2003, 09:31
Just of centre? I was further left and further liberal than Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama, and Gandhi! :grin:

About the same left about half that down.

It's said you get more right wing as you get older.

danishfencer
-19th November 2003, 13:12
Originally posted by James

foil and saber are just a complicated method of control

James

You're so prejudiced, you know..!!
the epee maybe is the first and the most popular weapon, but foil and saber is also a couple of great weapons. You can not really compare them!!

danishfencer - "May the footwork be with you, foilists!"

Muso440
-19th November 2003, 16:16

Me too

I was something like 7.5 on the first one, and 5.6 on the second. Or was it the other way round?

It's said you get more right wing as you get older.

Load of cr*p, if you ask me. I think it's only said by people who HAVE got more right wing as they got older.

Actually, there's quite a lot of things my parents (and sundry other relatives) said would happen as I got older, and happily I'm proving them wrong so far (having got to the ripe old age of 31):
a) I'd get more right wing - nope (if anythign I've got more left wing)
b) connectedly, I'd not want the government to take my money away in taxes - I don't mind them taking some taxes, I just wish they'd take more from the rich bastards!
c) I'd want to get married as soon as I found 'Mr Right' - have found Mr Right and still have no intention of dressing up as a meringue.
d) I'd want a kid as soon as ditto - I would still rather boil my head. [If anyone replies to this and says 'ah, but wait until you're nearly 40 and it's almost too late', I will personally come and poke you very hard with my foil]

So there you go: older people talk a load of rubbish about what might happen when you get older.

Is it significant that no-one has outed themselves as being authoritarian and rightwing yet?

Rdb811
-19th November 2003, 16:35
I thought you'd have guessed about me that by now.

(actually, I think I come out as 0 socially and 5ish economically from memeory - I think the scale has an American perspective, or I could be wittering).

uk_45
-19th November 2003, 17:11
Yep im 15.

and i liberal lefty to just off Gandhi

Rdb811
-19th November 2003, 17:37
Originally posted by Rdb811
I thought you'd have guessed about me that by now.

(actually, I think I come out as 0 socially and 5ish economically from memeory - I think the scale has an American perspective, or I could be wittering).

Ha - I wasn't wittering (nearly 0 on both scales)

Muso440
-19th November 2003, 20:08

and

Ha - I wasn't wittering (nearly 0 on both scales)

Why does getting a 0 mean the scale has an American perspective?

:confused:

Rdb811
-19th November 2003, 21:31
As a general observation, the questions have an American perspective. (I've had this debate before elsewhere)

The fact that I come out as middle of the road might indicate that the result set is based in a right wing polity. (i.e. I would expect to be middle of the road in American politics, but not in British politics).

Muso440
-20th November 2003, 08:12
As a general observation, the questions have an American perspective. (I've had this debate before elsewhere)

???

I disagree. It didn't strike me that they had at all. (In fact I spent a bit of time working out if it was an American or a British website.)

See what you mean with your second point, though.

Aoife
-20th November 2003, 09:29
British. See FAQ 20...

When are you guys gonna learn to spell ?

This grievance comes from those who aren't aware that British and American spellings sometimes differ.

We've been at the centre of some rancour, but we're not going to take offence or harbour any grievances. The catalogue of complaints won't colour this organisation's programme. It's a grey area anyway. And we don't want to labour the point.

zax
-20th November 2003, 15:07
im 17 and ive been fencing for 4 months

Rdb811
-20th November 2003, 16:27
British. See FAQ 20...

That doesn't prevent the questions being from an American perspective, he writes, hoping to deflect the argument away from annoying facts.

Muso440
-20th November 2003, 18:28
Care to share an example with us, rdb?

Rdb811
-20th November 2003, 23:09
You're trying to bog me down in the specifics.

OK I waswrong (and posted before taking the test as I was remembering the same conversation from another ist).

ceprab
-21st November 2003, 08:45
Originally posted by Gav
Yup liberal leftie as well. just off the centre though [worryingly close to 'New Labour' - ick].

From what I recall new labour turned up well into the authoritarian right quadrant? Blair certainly does.

I'm not a teenager, and I'm not quite as liberal or left wing as Ghandi.