PDA

View Full Version : London 2012 Fencing venue scrapped

hokers
-6th June 2008, 13:32
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/may/20/olympicgames2012

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/jun/06/olympicgames2012.olympics20121

Apparently the planned temporary 8000 seat fencing venue has now been scrapped in favour of moving the fencing into the ExCel Arena. This will save nearly 100M (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Sebastian Coe, the chairman of London 2012, said: "We have always said that our intention was to build truly sustainable venues which will provide a strong elite and community use legacy for sport for generations to come, long after the final race has been run in 2012.

"These small changes to our temporary venue locations in the park are designed to maximise the sporting legacy we leave behind - as well as optimise the games-time experience for athletes and spectators. The IOC has recognised our desire to focus on a tangible legacy and approved these changes today."

Some might ask if part of that 100M might go toward creating a permanent fencing venue elsewhere. Or how this can POSSIBLY "maximise the sporting legacy we leave behind".

Anyone on the inside know more about this?

Note that a temporary 7000 seat handball arena and a permanent BMX track will still be built....

Rdb811
-6th June 2008, 13:50
I thought that this had been announced months ago (or maybe it was just a proposal then ) - I thought for previous Olympics, a "small sports" sports hall had been built that could be used for a number of sports and that this should have been case for London - earlier plans had either Ally Pally or Excel as the venue for fencing.

What is worrying is how the extimated cost of what would basically be a large shed with some seats inside would come to 100M.

TomA
-6th June 2008, 15:28
What is worrying is how the extimated cost of what would basically be a large shed with some seats inside would come to 100M.

Presumably the cost of setting up the electricity supply for all those video cameras and pistes was part of it.

While I appreciate the cost involved, once it was built it would have been built - and it would have been nice to have one, just one dedicated fencing arena in the UK. Whitgift etc are obviously all very nice, but still...

Strikes me as a political decision as much as a cost one. :(

Maxim
-6th June 2008, 15:52
The cost is unbelievable! As a comparison, the cost of the arena built in Moscow for Ice Hockey World Championships last year was around US$170mln., with a capacity of ~15,000 seats, and technologically far superior to a fencing arena.

Rdb811
-6th June 2008, 15:55
Agreed that the decsion is political, although I don't think a permanent fencing venue/centre was ever envisaged - but it is based on obviously wrong estimates and with very little thought - surely a multi-purpose venue taht could then be use for a number of sports afterwards would be the ideal.

TomA
-6th June 2008, 16:21
- surely a multi-purpose venue taht could then be use for a number of sports afterwards would be the ideal. I'm sure a fencing arena could be, provided that you didn't lay the pistes into the floor. A good (but smaller) example is KES Stratford - their gym is designed for fencing, with pistes and space between them marked out, and fold-away mirrors. However it's also used for basketball, football, gymnastics etc.

I guess its more the acknowledgement of fencing as a sport that such a venue would give that I'd be more pleased about. The hall itself, although making things easier for competitions, I doubt would drastically change anything about the sport, just it's image. :) (and I've just spent a minute agonising over whether that should be 'its' or 'it's', arrrgh).

Keith.A.Smith
-6th June 2008, 16:23
Dear All,

I agree the figures are amazingly high. It was never a permanent buidling and hence LOCOG have decided to hold fencing and several other sports at the Excel centre.

We and the BOA are working on trying to get some of the 100million.

Just 1million would be good!!

Keith

rpryer
-6th June 2008, 16:27
I doubt would drastically change anything about the sport, just it's image. :) (and I've just spent a minute agonising over whether that should be 'its' or 'it's', arrrgh).

You should have agonised a little longer... :whistle:

horus
-6th June 2008, 17:37
It's its when it's the possessive equivalent of his or her, but it's when it's short for it is that its spelling is it's.
Isn't it?

pinkelephant
-6th June 2008, 17:56
It's its when it's the possessive equivalent of his or her, but it's when it's short for it is that its spelling is it's.
Isn't it?

Correct. Many people think it's it's when it's possessive as well, because most possessives DO use the apostrophe, e.g. Pepper's Ghost. But it isn't, it's its.

TomA
-6th June 2008, 20:16
D*** it! Next time I'm going with the instinct, not the brain. The former is statisically going to be right at least half the time >:(

Makes you wonder how I passed GCSE English...

fencingmaster
-7th June 2008, 12:12
Just 1million would be good!!

2 would be better, innit?

Demonic
-8th June 2008, 09:11
2 would be better, innit?

not very good haggelers are you!??! lol

go for 50 million first !!!

Stolen Time
-10th June 2008, 20:30

Apparently the planned temporary 8000 seat fencing venue has now been scrapped in favour of moving the fencing into the ExCel Arena. This will save nearly 100M (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

8000 spectators - are there that many fencers in the UK, or will Eurostar be very full? If that is honestly the audience expected, some will need binoculars.

It would be interesting to know how much it costs to build the temporary seating at the Stella Artois, which holds about 8000. Of course, it would cost extra to put a roof over the top. And I expect costs go up a lot if you air-condition it.

Tim S.

fencingmaster
-11th June 2008, 08:37
8000 spectators...that's a cost of at least 10,000 per spectator.
As I had intended to go, can I have my 10,000 please, the club would benefit and the money would really go into fencing!