PDA

View Full Version : Fijian 'Flu

Andy W.
-12th November 2003, 10:42
Anyone else heard of Fiji 'Flu?

It's wiped out the kids in our club and seems highly contagious and unpleasant. Doctor says that it tends to infect kids mainly, is that true or just a feeble attempt to avoid mass panic?

:eek:

Jon
-12th November 2003, 14:22
Haven't heard of this one, but I'm just getting over some sort of flu type bug thing (not nice!).

There seems to be olot of it about at the momment though, hope your lot get better soon.:(

Rdb811
-12th November 2003, 17:39
There's a lot of something about.

pinkelephant
-13th November 2003, 08:10
I have a friend whose mother was a GP. She used to write "TALOIA" on patients' notes when they turned up saying "There's a lot of it about".:grin:

Jambo
-13th November 2003, 08:12
There are a lot of them, you get in big big trouble these days if you right them down. A few examples:

FLK Funny looking kid
TTFO Told to **** off
PFO P*ssed fell over

Peanut_UK
-13th November 2003, 13:13
DFKDFC - Don't ****ing know, don't ****ing care

Not sure if this was ever used, but I'm sure a doctor would get in trouble for it..!

ceprab
-13th November 2003, 15:05
Originally posted by Peanut_UK
DFKDFC - Don't ****ing know, don't ****ing care

Not sure if this was ever used, but I'm sure a doctor would get in trouble for it..!

The abbreviations aren't just comedy or flippancy but a form of shorthand. The problems arise when doctors are trying to read someone else's notes, or worse when the notes are used by practitioners of another discipline (eg. physio) who may have an entirely different meaning for a given acronym. My brother's dissertation was on this, and was somewhat worrying even after I started to ignore the spelling mistakes (he was giving me dirty looks).

In general the wise practitioner attempts to write as clearly and completely as possible what occured in a given instance, if only to prevent future litigation.

As for Fijian 'flu, I doubt I have it, but my dancing partner has shared a nasty little cough which I can apparently expect to share my life with for a good month....

Aoife
-13th November 2003, 21:42
Fijian Flu!

It doesn't, perchance, have symptoms which start with headache and cough with a little tiredness, and progress to blocked sinuses, fevers, inflamed tonsils, ear-ache, and takign to sleeping in the common-room during every free period? Oh, not to mention loss of voice....?

That's what's been going round Clarendon. Urgh. I've had it since about Friday. Just put it down to the acute chronic NQT syndrome I've had since Septmber. (damn little fencers, the SNEEZE in their masks!!! :dizzy: )

tigger
-14th November 2003, 10:10
Jon - Haven't heard of this one, but I'm just getting over some sort of flu type bug thing (not nice!).

Was wondering where you'd been mate!

Gav
-14th November 2003, 10:53
Originally posted by Aoife
Fijian Flu!

It doesn't, perchance, have symptoms which start with headache and cough with a little tiredness, and progress to blocked sinuses, fevers, inflamed tonsils, ear-ache, and takign to sleeping in the common-room during every free period? Oh, not to mention loss of voice....?

That's what's been going round Clarendon. Urgh. I've had it since about Friday. Just put it down to the acute chronic NQT syndrome I've had since Septmber. (damn little fencers, the SNEEZE in their masks!!! :dizzy: )

I had this - very unpleasant - about 2 weeks ago. Doctor diagnosed tonsilitis and recommended antibiotics and plenty of rest. Cleared up really quickly once I started taking the drugs.

Andy W.
-15th November 2003, 16:19
Did I say Fijian?? I was wrong, somewhere along the line it got twisted (aka Chinese whispers) it seems I should have said Fujian apparently it comes from the Chinese province of Fujan (?). Yet another delightful disease exported from China.

Deepest apologies to all Fijians reading this and those who have been suffering under the wrong name! Although, its not much of a joking matter from what I heard and read about kids dying from it.

Aoife
-16th November 2003, 12:46
I had this - very unpleasant - about 2 weeks ago. Doctor diagnosed tonsilitis and recommended antibiotics and plenty of rest. Cleared up really quickly once I started taking the drugs.

I was put on amoxocillin the other day, it's getting much better already! Yay!!!