PDA

View Full Version : is there any point turning up to the piste

jamesthornton
-8th April 2003, 11:21
if i am a lower seed in a foil competition or i am fencing someone with "go faster stripes" is ther any point in me turning up to the piste?:confused:

Barry Paul
-8th April 2003, 14:19
Turn up, you might win. Then you can ask what the stripes mean.

wingnutLP
-8th April 2003, 15:30
100% backing for turn up and try! My vote has never felt so important!

hamerh
-17th April 2003, 14:04
I'd say it's best to turn up, with about 20+half drunk rugby players who will leave the President with the feeling that if he doesn't give you the point, he will be going home with two broken legs. :shrug:

Zelda
-18th April 2003, 07:30
Nothing ventured nothing gained. Heck even if you only get 1 point, in pools that 1 point may nmake the difference to your position going into DE.:rambo:

Craig
-18th April 2003, 13:22
So, what are "go faster stripes"?

You needed an option - "Show up and kick his ass"

Hudson
-18th April 2003, 15:33
If that's how you feel, don't turn up. If you can't go into a fight with the right mental attitude you've already lost to a good fencer. Enjoy the fight, take it as a learning opitunity to see in what areas you need to improve and most of all try you never know. I saw the 124th seed go from 10-2 down to the 4th seed at bristol going into the last period, only just lose 15-13. You never know.

pinkelephant
-18th April 2003, 16:18
Craig - "go faster stripes" are what we (who don't have them) call the GB Union Jack sew-on strips which fencers are supposed to have for A grades (but many others massage their egos by sewing them on as well).:dizzy:

Boo Boo
-18th April 2003, 16:34
Don't you have "go faster" stripes yourself Jamie???

Stripes (like name on back - which is not required for national competitions in the UK, only a-grades) don't always mean much - like pinkelephant says, some people just have it done anyway...

Boo

nessyfencer
-18th April 2003, 17:29
At the Glasgow open last weekend I came up against a lot of people I knew I had no chance against, but 1 in perticular who ended up nearly winning the compo, I came on the piste, knowing I was gonna lose, ended up losing 5-3, but the sattifaction was unreal when he took off his mask and was dripping with sweat! So yeah, turn up and try, always!

Aoife
-19th April 2003, 18:40
Better to loose against somebody far better than you, than win against somebody you knew you ould beat. I find I learn the most getting my ass well and truely kicked.

I agree with nessyfencer about the pride if you feel you've made somebody better than you actually work for the win (a couple of times my coach has been more out of breath than me after a bout, and I've felt rather elated).

Go ahead, fence the person, and learn from whatever mistakes you might make (and, of course, from whatever mistakes they might make!)

nessyfencer
-20th April 2003, 08:58
Thanks for that Aoife, couldn't have said it better myself :)

How are you btw?

Psymon
-20th April 2003, 12:29
In answer to your question james

Do you remember what was going through your head at the exact second you stepped up to the piste for your first pool fight in your first competion. If you are anything like me the feelings of impending humiliation do not get any worse

I take it you are still fencing so you obviously got over it

The way i see it you step up have a go, laugh if you lose, bragg like a maniac (only to your m8s) if you win, but above all learn from the experience

And remember at some point the go faster stripe guy was in the same posistion as you at some time in his career:)

Aoife
-20th April 2003, 16:39
You're more than welcome nessyfencer. I'm fine thanks, how're you?

Hudson
-21st April 2003, 00:56
When i started out and still now i get drawn against a fencer how's way better than me i still go and give it a go. Many a time i've been told i put the other guy off as even though i'm lossing all he can see is a big grin from under my mask. :grin:
If james don't want to come to the piste i'll be more than happy he's betten me more times than me him.

Aoife
-23rd April 2003, 19:02
even though i'm lossing all he can see is a big grin from under my mask

lol, sounds like me. Apparently smiling at somebody as you come at them with asword is a bit unnerving :)

Hudson
-23rd April 2003, 19:13
It works for me at times. As does making light sabre sounds as you attack :grin:

Psymon
-23rd April 2003, 23:21
Uh Oh looks like we could be gettin mixed up with star wars fencin forum here

Jambo
-24th April 2003, 09:30
I'd be careful how its interpreted though. Last time someone smirked at me I nearly broke his fingers, and then beat him 5-3. I really hate arrogant fencers, dont care if I lose, just dont want to be patronised. Maybe becoming a sabreur was predicitable:grin:

reposte
-24th April 2003, 15:06
My coach tells me that when he had to fight giants like Romankov etc, he did what's called in his crowd "fencing on a compromise".
That roughly means that you try and estimate what are your odds to sneak in so and so points, add what you'll regard as an achievement and go for it based on that premise.

for example, if you're a club champion and you have to fence against a national champion, you tell yourself that loosing
5 - 2 will be considered adequate and 5-4 will be considered a great achievement.
That's how you go in against a superior fencer.

Reposte
:party:

haggis
-24th April 2003, 20:49
Reposte's got it pretty much right, I think. If you only fence to win you'll get disillusioned in no time. In a fight, in a competition, in your fencing in general it helps to have goals and those goals need to realistic. Let's say you draw Richard Kruse in the DE in a competition. A nice young fencer with natty speed stripes and every intention of kicking your a$$. If your goal is to put him out then the chances are good that you're going to go home disappointed:( . If your goal is to score at least 6 hits and make the fight last into the second period of three minutes (a more realistic goal) you still lose but feel that you've fenced as well as you can and have achieved something:) Next time you might think about scoring 8 hits or ten hits or stretching the fight beyond six minutes. That way you can progress and find goals that are challenging and realistic.

Good luck

Haggis

P.S. Reposte. Who's your coach?

Hudson
-24th April 2003, 20:55
At the end of the match if you come away knowing you fenced to the best of your abilities and enjoyed yourself you've gained something. It should also help you identify the areas you might need to improve on.

Jambo
-24th April 2003, 22:28
Fencing people miles better than you is, in some ways, easier than someone slightly better/worse. Less pressure, no disappointment if you lose, you can have fun, try stuff you wouldn't normally try.

reposte
-25th April 2003, 09:54
To Haggis:

My coach is one of many whom at sometime during the length of Romankov's career chanced to be in the Russian first
sixteen.

No one you might have heard of I think, but I reckon he's the best coach one can hope for.

Reposte

:party:

harry
-1st May 2003, 16:15
I am not sure you should bother- I have seen you do epee and it is not clever!

PM1
-1st May 2003, 22:54
Common, Jamie - you gotta go with the flow and rise above all this:transport !!!! If you go on the piste thinking you're going to get your butt kicked, you will:o It's all in the head - and I know that even YOU switch on the brain sometimes!! If you've not fenced that person before, they've not fenced YOU before, either, and the element of surprise could just be in your favour:o Anyway, if you don't try, you'll never know. God, I sound more like my mother every day........Just go out and enjoy it, and if you don't enjoy it, GIVE UP!!!!!!!!

Laurence
-7th May 2003, 16:53
i think i can help sort out any doubt here. if you are the lower seed in a competition then there really is no point in turning up, especially if you're gonna fence me, because you're just going to be humiliated in front of friends and family. better to go out faking an injury cos then you could fool yourself into believing that you could have won.

anyway, that is all i have to say on the subject,

thank you and good night.

aao
-7th May 2003, 17:02
Have to agree with Laurence here I wish that in the 128/64 people who are the lower seeds would just give up the ghost and go home, I mean do you realise how inconveinient it is when you turn up to the piste expecting a nice easy and quite ride and you find that your opponent is coming at you with all guns blazing (especially over energetic little cadets and juniors who just do't take the hint and spend their entire time fleching and flicking you), if you're fencing an opponent with go faster international stripes then just give up and go home, otherwise how could you live with the guilt of having potentially knocked out a higher seed!

Boo Boo
-7th May 2003, 17:04
Sounds good to me aao, maybe it could be added to the BFA rules... ;)

Boo

Hudson
-7th May 2003, 18:01
I'd best see about getting some go faster stripes just in case :grin:

aao
-7th May 2003, 21:50
I'll have a quick word with keith then......;)

DonnCarnage
-11th May 2003, 21:34
I dont get it.

GB stripes only signify that the fencer is moderately good (though that's questionable considering how easy it is to go abroad for foil). Just coz they are good doesn't mean you are crap or they are invincible. If they are seniors or have got lots of stamps on their backs then u should expect an exceptionally good fencer(with the exception of the Scots :grin: ). Otherwise, u usually got a good chance.

I used to love fencing (when i was GB stripesless) 'GBR' people. It would be an incentive to go and beet um, to prove to them they are not immortal and to show to them that i am "good".:strong:

Sigh...those days are over and now u got to constantly face old gits and young upstarts trying to do the same to you.;)

That doesnt worry me though, i SMASH um to bits. :bash:

DC:pirate:

Eddie
-11th May 2003, 23:11
Think of it this way. if you run away before you have even got to the piste you have already lost. I don't know if this helps but I try and go in with the attitude that I most likely won't take the gold, but I will fence my hardest.

Some times the higher seed can just have had an easy poule and if you get a fencer who only wants to face opponents they can easily beat it is not likely to improve their game much

Wether you should turn up to the piste or not depends on why you are there. Is it to chase ranking points or to enjoy the sport?

There are more people losing in a big comp than those walking home with medals, so alot of us are used to getting knocked out at some point in the competition.

aao
-11th May 2003, 23:33
Having experienced this both ways round I also remember trying my damnest to beat anybody I came across who had international colours on and no matter how hopeless I would always give it my best shot, it paid off to the first person I ever beat at an open was a GBR fencer!

Looking at it from the other side now, quite often an unknown/lower ranked fencer will have a better chance then they suspect as while you're trying your damnest to win the top fencer will generally be trying to:

a) stop the world from spinning
b) not throw up in their mask
c) get on and off the piste without doing much work
d) chat up another fencer
or e) get their bloody kit to work

as a result they won't be paying their full attention and up to 5 this is often fatal (especially at epee!)

Up to 15 on the other hand providing they're not injured you will probably lose, but no matter what the score don't give up better fencers than me have lost big leads bescause they've stopped concentrating and I've made some truelyt impressive slip up s when I've been convinced my opponent is dead and buried and started relaxing/showing off/trying things. (this was of course in the past if you come up against me now once your dead and buried you stay that way!

:cool:

srb
-19th May 2003, 19:03
There is every point turning up.

See the thread re: the IoW. under Tournaments.

U/20 go faster stripe loses in L32 at provisional competition, and almost gets black carded in the process.

srb

DonnCarnage
-19th May 2003, 20:17
Can we have another option for the poll. Something, something along the lines of:

Kick his/her ass
or
Destroy - GB stripes or no GB stripes
or
Try your best to Humiliate the GB-stripe-fencer in front of their friends by beating them.

Coz basically, none of the options provided in the poll apply to most fencersí way of thinking when it comes to fencing a GB stripe wearer.

Sums it up really

DC:pirate:

mango
-30th May 2003, 05:11
I also agree to try to compete if you're up to it. If on the other hand you're an absolutely new beginner and are not sure at all, then go and watch. Look at our Aoefe! She started off by circling around and taking pictures very carefully observing and now she is trash talking already! [She must have won something].
This is cool!

;)

Cvillefencer
-30th May 2003, 13:53
It is a no brainer man! Go and fight! That is how you improve. I have learned as much from chatting with A's and B's during pools and before they crush me in the DE's than I have in most classes! Treat every tourney as a learning experience. That is my advice. Fencers are a close nit buch it seems, and most will be happy to help you improve! Look at the board for example!

Me and a few of my teammates still go to National's each year and fight. We are good enough to qualify but not to win. Still, it is a blast and kind of like going to fencing college for a week! My point is this. All testosterone and competitive nature aside, fencing is supposed to be fun. Go and have fun! I usually manage to get at least one good laugh each time on the strip either at something I or my opponent has done.

I wish we had some of these go faster stripes in the states. They sound cool. I wonder if you would find me intimidating if we met on the strip? I do not have go faster stripes but I do have my name and country on my Lame, Japanese blood chits on my glove cuff, shiny gold painted grips and guards, and a big smiling demon face on my mask! These things coupled with my size mean I can occasionally manage to scare/bully some less experienced fencers.

Maybe it would boast your ego to get a demon mask! If a lot of fencers stress out about the stripe thing it could not hurt! A big demon has to be more intimidating that go fast stripes right? I mean all those mean is that they fence outside the UK? My home state is bigger than most of Western Europe man! I drive as much as 4 (and that is at about 128KPH) hours for a tourney on a regular basis. To me it would seem that fencing someone from another country would be like fencing someone from another state! Do not let geography psyche you out! In my mind just go kick some and have a great time.

Good luck! :grin:

DanInMI
-30th May 2003, 16:04
I love fencing A grade fencers....as much fun as it is watching them fence you get a real appreciation for the artistry of a well executed attack when it has just been delivered against you.

And what a rush when you score a really nice touch on them.

I fenced one guy this spring that was way out of my league, he was able to rush in on me and score pretty easily. So I did a passata-soto that he impaled himself on like the charging horses on the pikes in Braveheart. A cheap trick , I know, but it got a big smile out of my opponent and a nice compliment.

So, fence them. Try to beat them. And, if nothing else, have fun with them.

DanInMI
-30th May 2003, 16:34
Originally posted by Cvillefencer
My home state is bigger than most of Western Europe man! I drive as much as 4 (and that is at about 128KPH) hours for a tourney on a regular basis. To me it would seem that fencing someone from another country would be like fencing someone from another state!
Ummmmmmm......On behalf of the Yankees that are here...I apologize for most Americans' lack of geographical knowledge.

Virginia is, of course no where near the size of "most of western Europe" (France alone is almost 5 times the size of Virginia)

Unless Cville fencer's home state is Alaska, this claim is ridiculous.
Alaska is a little smaller than the combined size of France, Spain, Italy and Germany.

Hudson
-30th May 2003, 17:00
Cvillefencer for the millionth time stop Exaggerating :grin:

Cvillefencer
-30th May 2003, 19:48
Originally posted by DanInMI
Ummmmmmm......On behalf of the Yankees that are here...I apologize for most Americans' lack of geographical knowledge.

Virginia is, of course no where near the size of "most of western Europe" (France alone is almost 5 times the size of Virginia)

Unless Cville fencer's home state is Alaska, this claim is ridiculous.
Alaska is a little smaller than the combined size of France, Spain, Italy and Germany.

Gee, thanks for your support Dan. Glad to see you would not go all sarcastic and mean spirited on a fellow at the drop of a hat!

I meant the post to read thus: "My home state is bigger than most of *insert* the countries in *end insert* Western Europe". I tried to make the change myself once I realized that I had dropped part of the sentence (I do not type as fast as I think, and occasionally get ahead of myself), but found out that the board only allows edits for five minutes after a post and I had dallied a bit.

So I say to myself "They are a decent bunch of folks, they will know what I am talking about!" I guess you, Dan, didn't or just could not pass up the chance to assume the worst! :mad:

And for the record, my hometown is Cedar Park, my Home State is Austin, and my native Country is Texas! (Gunshots and rodeo sounds in the background). A little Texas humors there. I got stuck in VA after getting on the wrong plane. The sign said Dulles, and I just thought that was how Yankee carpetbaggers spelled Dallas. I have been stuck here ever since.

As to my lack of geography, I have spent time or lived in Japan, Australia, Mexico, Korea, and was in Saudi long enough to hate camels and spiders.

Hudson
-30th May 2003, 19:54
Originally posted by Cvillefencer
As to my lack of geography, I have spent time or lived in Japan, Australia, Mexico, Korea, and was in Saudi long enough to hate camels and spiders.

No problem with camels but camel spiders are ugly little things aint they, we had a pet one for a few days but it kept getting beaten up by the bugs so we feed it to the pet scorpion.

Cvillefencer
-30th May 2003, 20:16
Sorry to drift off topic, but speaking of camel spiders, we had some crazy Jarrines (Jarhead Marines) that would get little cadres of hand picked spiders and scorpions and fight them against each other!

The scorpion usually won, but with 1 beer to 6 beer odds, it was sometimes fun to bet on the spider! I do not recall ever seeing a spider win... but the Jarrines assured us it could happen... as they drank our beer! :)

I was stuck in Hiwayt Massat (?spelling?), Riyadh, and KKMD in Gulf War One. How about you?

Hudson
-30th May 2003, 20:19
yep scorpion won pincers down.
at Ali Al Salem, Gulf War 2 (still here)
lots of marines here making a mess of the place and seebees buildind roads all over the place.

Cvillefencer
-30th May 2003, 20:41
Great job on the GW2! Wish I could have been there with you guys to finish what we started. Thank you for your service, and be carefull over there!
:rambo: :cool: :)

DanInMI
-31st May 2003, 17:56
Cville....sorry, I didn't intend to sound mean spirited.
I figured it was best that a fellow American correct you on that one than wait for the Europeans to jump on us Americans for our relatively self-centered view of geography and politics.

By the way, I think that we wouldn't miss Texas one bit if they would just seceed from the union, and take thier idiot, Dubya, with them. (ok....well keep the Dixie Chicks);)

Cvillefencer
-31st May 2003, 20:47
No worries Dan! Just the other day on Fencing .net I went sideways on Petergustafson for no good reason other than I had taken one of his comments out of sorts and had had a rough day.

As to Texas, well did you know (this is what I have always heard anyway) that part of the Armistice agreement was that we have to vote every year to remain part of the union and/or to resume hostilities? Texas is such a fun place.

I can't dog Dubya to much as he is the only president that I have ever met in person (twice, and he was not the pres. either time) but I voted Green, so I am not to blame! :grin: