PDA

View Full Version : Do We Have a Third Olympic Qualifier??

The Truth
-12th July 2008, 19:41
I notice this on the FIE website, which seems to suggest that we have a third qualifier in WF?

Or am I just hallucinating????

http://www.fie.ch/download/homepage/en/Qualifications.pdf

I may well be, and that's...

Boo Boo
-12th July 2008, 20:00
Wow, if so, that is fantastic :)

That has been kept very quiet...

Congratulations to Martina :)

Boo

lhoole
-12th July 2008, 21:14
It is true - Keith announced it at the finals this evening. His wording included something along the lines of her place being made available because someone else had been run over by a bus...

TomA
-12th July 2008, 21:33
her place being made available because someone else had been run over by a bus... The lengths the BFA goes to for its fencers...

Sorry, shouldn't really joke about it. Still, well done to Martina :)

Keith.A.Smith
-14th July 2008, 12:39
Dear All,

If necessary we would hire a fleet of buses!!!

Seriously congratulations to Martina Emmanuel who is now qualified for Beijing as the Austrian NOC has withdrawn their fencer.

Keith

riposteinprime
-15th July 2008, 07:10
Can we imagine Keith laughing manically behind the wheel of the BFA death bus?

Boo Boo
-15th July 2008, 08:44
I think that it is brilliant and really does show the value of sending a full contingent to the zonal qualifiers... If Richard hadn't been injured (and JUST lost in his final fight), that would have been three qualified because of the zonal qualifiers (fortunately he has been given a wild card anyway).

Just shows how much of a lottery the qualifiers are. Some fencers go there, fence like a star, make the most of every opportunity and qualify. Some don't quite make it, but place very near the top, fate intervenes and they get to go anyway. Absolutely fantastic! :grin:

Eloise Smith went to Sydney by the same combination of good placing and a little extra luck (I think that she knew less than a month before going that someone had dropped out and she had been selected): maybe fate smiles kindly on GB WF ;).

Were there any other GB fencers who finished near the top of their weapon qualifier who would benefit by Keith's bus driving skills? :whistle:

Boo

cesh_fencing
-15th July 2008, 09:45
Were there any other GB fencers who finished near the top of their weapon qualifier who would benefit by Keith's bus driving skills?

Not sure if the Whitgift buses would cope. Would need at least 3 bumps in the Ladies Sabre, and quite a lot more in either Epee, possibly a long shot.

Maybe if the job was split between the PD, CEO, Keith and a few committee members they could get a fencer in every event?

Gangsta G
-15th July 2008, 12:27
Obviously I am delighted to see another GB fencer qualify for the Olympics, however has Martina been picked ahead of someone who finished higher than her in the qualifying event? I can't remember how she did.

Boo Boo
-15th July 2008, 12:34
Obviously I am delighted to see another GB fencer qualify for the Olympics, however has Martina been picked ahead of someone who finished higher than her in the qualifying event? I can't remember how she did.

No, I believe that she finished 4th (?) in the qualifier.

The first two were selected (of whom one has siince dropped out). I believe that the person who finished 3rd has already been selected to go through the Wildcard system. So that leaves Martina as the next person in line :)

Amazingly all above board (if you disregard Keith's bus driving :whistle: ).

Boo

riposteinprime
-15th July 2008, 12:34
1. Kleinberger, Sandra AUT
2. Nogueira, Debora POR
3. Angad-Gaur, Indra NED
4. Emanuel, Martina GBR
5. Havenchyk, Natalia BLR
6. Cojocari, Olga MDA
7. Hanzelova, Gyöngyi SVK
8. Ugurlu, Solmaz TUR

rory
-15th July 2008, 13:16
My understanding is that Sandra Kleinberger was withdrawn by the Austrian NOC / NGB after failing to meet some additional conditions they'd placed upon her (L16 at Europeans).

Shame for Sandra - she's a nice lass, and a good fencer.
Good news for British fencing and Martina E though.

TomA
-15th July 2008, 13:19
Not sure if the Whitgift buses would cope. Would need at least 3 bumps in the Ladies Sabre, and quite a lot more in either Epee, possibly a long shot.Hire a double-decker? Or maybe one of those bendy buses that are being scrapped now, they ought to do the trick :p

Marcos
-15th July 2008, 14:47
Dear All,

If necessary we would hire a fleet of buses!!!

Seriously congratulations to Martina Emmanuel who is now qualified for Beijing as the Austrian NOC has withdrawn their fencer.

Keith

well done - an amazing performance by by the foilist and the BFA

and thanks to the Austrian NOC....(!?)

http://www.morethanpaper.com/TeacherGifts/DinkyDesigns/SchoolBus.jpg

UglyBug
-15th July 2008, 17:13
when will it be announced on the Team GB site?

Foilling Around
-15th July 2008, 18:43
My understanding is that Sandra Kleinberger was withdrawn by the Austrian NOC / NGB after failing to meet some additional conditions they'd placed upon her (L16 at Europeans).

Shame for Sandra - she's a nice lass, and a good fencer.
Good news for British fencing and Martina E though.

Poor Sandra Kleinberger went out in the L32 to World No1 Vezalli at the Senior Europeans - and their NOC will not let her go.

Martina for all her promise did not make the cut at the Senior Europeans. Great for Martina, but what a strange system.

Keith.A.Smith
-15th July 2008, 19:00
Dear All,

With European Qualifiers, Wild Cards and the bus I do not think we can hope for any more now.

Really well done to Alex, Richard and Martina and good luck in Beijing.

Keith

Odd Job
-17th July 2008, 09:10
Still nothing on BFA web site? or else where?

Shouldn't we be shouting from the roof tops? or at least telling the out side world that we now have 3 fencers competing?

good luck to all going

Boo Boo
-17th July 2008, 09:37
Still nothing on BFA web site? or else where?

Shouldn't we be shouting from the roof tops? or at least telling the out side world that we now have 3 fencers competing?

Maybe still being ratified by the BOA? Presumably pretty much just a formality... :)

Boo

PM1
-17th July 2008, 10:48
The last BOA Team GB announcement was on Tuesday, and not about fencing. The site still only gives the names of Richard and Alex. But I can't think that Martina would not be confirmed, otherwise Keith announcing it at the Nationals would have been a major no no, and it is understandable that he would want to tell us then, I guess. BF will still have to wait for BOA to make the announcement officially first, I gather, before putting it up on our site.

Well done her!!

PM1
-17th July 2008, 15:48
Announcement just been made on BOA email.Well done !!

Kepster
-17th July 2008, 20:58
Story now on the Beeb:

Emanuel joins GB Olympic fencers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/fencing/7512415.stm)

Rdb811
-18th July 2008, 00:34
In fact it's currently one of the "breaking news" banners. (Admittedly at 1am but better than most sports get).

olivefoil
-18th July 2008, 06:58
sono contento che i tuoi sogni si stiano avverando. in bocca al lupo. un bacio. Tommaso

Tubby
-18th July 2008, 12:09
"Olivefoil" - quel nome di foro lavora su alcuni numerosi livelli, bravo

Wanabeno1
-18th July 2008, 12:45
Come on boys, I'm a thicky state schooler, stop talking foreign/swearing. :p

Red
-18th July 2008, 12:53
they are content that your dreams are coming true. in mouth to the lupo. a kiss. Tommaso

Olivefoil that name of hole works on some numerous levels, Bravo

As poorly translated by Babel Fish

A growed up 'state school thicky'

TomA
-18th July 2008, 13:29
I believe that Olivefoil is saying well done, while Tubby is complementing them on their chosen forum name, which works on several levels. Unfortunately, my hazy deciphering by means of Latin, French and Spanish gets no further than that. :(

olivefoil
-18th July 2008, 16:51
"Olivefoil" - quel nome di foro lavora su alcuni numerosi livelli, bravo

scusa ma non capisco il senso della frase, puoi spiegarmio meglio, grazie.

TomA
-18th July 2008, 17:49
'Sorry, but I don't understand the meaning of the sentence, can you explain it to me further, thanks'?

I may have to learn Italian, it's infuriating when it looks similar but you can't quite understand it :(

FoilyDeath
-18th July 2008, 17:52
I believe tubby may have been betrayed by google translator.

Tubby
-19th July 2008, 08:10
scusa ma non capisco il senso della frase, puoi spiegarmio meglio, grazie. scusa, il nome è ottimo

Tubby
-19th July 2008, 08:14
I believe tubby may have been betrayed by google translator. Nearly, Free Translation services :) .

Eddie
-25th July 2008, 13:48
they are content that your dreams are coming true. in mouth to the lupo. a kiss. Tommaso

As poorly translated by Babel Fish

A growed up 'state school thicky'

Ha ha ha

babel fish has a lot to answer for

the rough gist is good to see your dreams are coming true, good luck

bocca al lupo, means good luck, kind of similar to break a leg.

fencingmaster
-25th July 2008, 23:32
non capisco

the only Italian that I ever needed!