PDA

View Full Version : Achievement awards..and other stuff

plewis66
-14th November 2003, 07:48
These BFA achievement awards...how does that work, then?

Is it like a martial arts grading syustem? Does everyone do it? Is it largely ignored?

Also, what's all this 'A Grades' business? Are there 'B Grades'. Is it related to the awards for achievement?

What's a cadet?

Where do I find out this stuff?

I've tried going the thru the BFA web site...

Robert
-14th November 2003, 08:30
Originally posted by plewis66
These BFA achievement awards...how does that work, then?

Is it like a martial arts grading syustem? Does everyone do it? Is it largely ignored?

It is a lot like a martial arts system, show you can do x, y, z technique. It is largely ignored. I knew one coach who taught it and he seemed to do it because he had no imagination. People who start as juniors seem more likely to take it up but as an adult I set my goals for myself (largely around national rankings.

Also, what's all this 'A Grades' business? Are there 'B Grades'. Is it related to the awards for achievement?

No, they are very high level competitions. I will leave it to someone who fences at that level to explain.

What's a cadet?

It's an age category. There are competitions for U-20, U-17, U-15, U-13.

Where do I find out this stuff?

I've tried going the thru the BFA web site...

You ask on this forum.

Robert

Boo Boo
-14th November 2003, 09:19
Achievement Award information is at http://www.britishfencing.com/achievement_awards.html - in case you haven't already found it.

In general I think that more kids do them than adults, however, I know some adult beginner courses that do the first/early awards on mass.

I haven't done them, The awards don't mean anything in the real world (i.e. you don't get seeded higher in a competition if you are at level 8...), but it doesn't mean that doing them isn't a good thing.

A-grades are international level (normally "World Cup" or "Grand Prix") competitions. You need to be selected to enter them - since individuals can't enter themselves into a competition, they have to be entered by their fencing federation (in GB, that is the BFA).

There are a few held in the UK:
- Eden Cup (junior men's foil) - October, London.
- Corble Cup (men's sabre) - January 24th.
- Ipswich Cup (women's epee) - February 14th.
- The Epee Club Trophy (men's epee) - February 28th.

If you can get to one, as a spectator, then go: these provide a fencing enthusiast with the best examples of fencing that you will see live in this country. It always surprises me that more keen fencers don't go to these to spectate...

B-grade is a term used to describe other high level international/foreign competitions that aren't A-grades. Examples of these are the Satellite Tournaments (i.e. Coup de Nord sabre/foil competitions) and the main competitions on the French/German/Italian National circuits. Normally anyone can enter and go to these (although, apparently, there will be some restrictions on the Coup de Nord foil events - since the organisers want referees from each country that sends more than 4 fencers).

http://www.foilcommittee.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/international-rules/SENIOr-ranking-2003-4-vers2.htm explains a bit more about A-grade and B-grade selection.

Cadet = a fencer under the age of 17 (on 1st January)
Junior = a fencer under the age of 20 (on 1st January)

http://www.foilcommittee.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/international-rules/Junior_scheme%20_for_Sword_2003-2004vers-2-12-6-03.htm explains a bit more about cadets and juniors

Most of this information is on the BFA website - its just knowing where to look ;)

Boo