PDA

View Full Version : Sabre fencing in Oxford???

sabre_monkeyman
-19th July 2008, 21:50
Hello all!

Was hoping somoene could recommend a sabre club somewhere around Oxford?

I'm going to be working in Brackley, Oxford, and will live somewhere between the centre of Oxford and Brackley. I wanna fence 2/3 times a week, and be able to learn and get better so a recommendation of a club would be great. Obviously Oxford university is a good club but i'm no student so that wont work. or would it?

thanks for your help

H

Bayston
-19th July 2008, 22:49
I would try emailing the uni club directly to see if you can. Technically Aber Uni is supposed to be a student club but our Guild rules means that we can have "associate members" (basically non-students who are related to the Uni or Sport in some way). They can't fence in BUCS but can still train with us.

Wanabeno1
-20th July 2008, 10:04
I think some non Uni people fence there, so worth a try.

The new mens captain for the Blues fencing club Matt Shearman (I think), if you E-mail him I'm sure he will give all the ifno you need, a very helpful fellow.

Peaseblossom
-20th July 2008, 11:15
Oxford City (Tuesday nights) and Abingdon (Thursdays) also fence sabre.

BanzaiBoy
-20th July 2008, 12:08
As an alternative you could train at Bedford Fencing Club on Tuesday night (see the British Fencing Website Club Directory). If you need more details PM me.

sabre_monkeyman
-20th July 2008, 12:23
some good tips. still a little doubtful about oxford uni but will give it a try.

keep em coming

omc
-29th July 2008, 01:12
You can fence at Oxford uni; Monday 7:30-10:30, Thursday (probably) 8:30-10:30. Club is based just off the Magdalen roundabout on Iffley Road. Get in touch with Mat Shearman mathew.shearman [a.t] lincoln.ox.ac.uk

jesteves
-1st August 2008, 14:53
From September Oxford Fencing Club will fence on Tuesdays 8-10 pm and Fridays 7.30-9.30 pm.

J