PDA

View Full Version : Junior Europeans - Amsterdam

Foilling Around
-31st July 2008, 00:11
Has anyone located a timetable for this event in November?

KJK
-31st July 2008, 09:12
Here is a link the website for the Junior Europeans :-
http://www.ejc08.eu/index.html hope it works.

Foilling Around
-31st July 2008, 12:00
Here is a link the website for the Junior Europeans :-
http://www.ejc08.eu/index.html hope it works.

Thanx, I've been searching for that with no success. Helps me plan my trip to watch daughter.

Neil Brown
-22nd August 2008, 00:16
24 fencers have been selected subject to fitness testing at the team preparation day on the 14th Sept.

Full details will be available for the fencers soon after the UK School Games are out of the way.

Neil Brown
-4th September 2008, 14:31
Details for the team are now up at www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net)

peredemadstar
-4th September 2008, 15:45
Are we not allowed to know who has been selected?

Why the secrecy?

Baldric
-4th September 2008, 15:50
Are we not allowed to know who has been selected?

Why the secrecy?

I suspect because the selections are still subject to fitness testing, and therefore not finalised.

Baldric

peredemadstar
-4th September 2008, 15:59
I suspect because the selections are still subject to fitness testing, and therefore not finalised.

Thanks but I still dont see why we cant know now

Baldric
-4th September 2008, 16:03
Thanks but I still dont see why we cant know now

We had this argument last year!

I can only repeat what I said then. Why do you consider you are entitled to know at this stage? When the final selections are made, I am sure they will be published. What is gained by publicising preliminary selections, apart from to embarrass any fencer who fails the fitness test?

Having said all that, its entirely possible that the list has been published somewhere, deep in the bowels of the BF website...

Baldric

Boo Boo
-4th September 2008, 16:19
We had this argument last year!

I can only repeat what I said then. Why do you consider you are entitled to know at this stage? When the final selections are made, I am sure they will be published. What is gained by publicising preliminary selections, apart from to embarrass any fencer who fails the fitness test?

Having said all that, its entirely possible that the list has been published somewhere, deep in the bowels of the BF website...

Baldric

Eeeerrrr, if you follow Neil's link and look at "the spreadsheet of travel & hotel details", then you will know who the team is... ;)

Doesn't look like secrecy (for any reason), just usual lack of communication from the BFA...

Boo

peredemadstar
-4th September 2008, 16:26
well done to all those named as selected - good luck and keep fit!

Neil Brown
-4th September 2008, 17:21
Don't look now... As discussed at length last year, the team is not selected yet & will be confirmed after the 14th Sept.

When the selections are confirmed the lists will be published on the British Fencing web site under "National Teams" & the lists will be back up.

Red
-4th September 2008, 22:03
Don't look now... As discussed at length last year, the team is not selected yet & will be confirmed after the 14th Sept.

When the selections are confirmed the lists will be published on the British Fencing web site under "National Teams" & the lists will be back up.

I have it on good authority that one of the fencers named there will be in China at the time, so that person probably won't be there at all.

PM1
-4th September 2008, 22:11
As ever, optional GB leisure kit will be available to purchase :D Info will be sent out as soon as we have the selection list completed.

Good luck at the fitness gig, folks !!

Jan O'C
-5th September 2008, 10:53
Other than posting on here, I don't know how to ensure I'm notified when anything important is posted. I know there's a way so I'm sure someone will enlighten me for the future!

Lynne
-5th September 2008, 13:53
Other than posting on here, I don't know how to ensure I'm notified when anything important is posted. I know there's a way so I'm sure someone will enlighten me for the future!

At the top of the page click on "Thread Tools", then on "Subscribe to this thread". :)

Jan O'C
-5th September 2008, 15:40
I know I'm not that brilliant computerwise but when I click on 'Thread Tools' I don't get an option to 'subscribe to this thread'. I get 'e-mail this page' or 'printable version'!

what am I doing wrong?

rugmike
-5th September 2008, 21:55
I have it on good authority that one of the fencers named there will be in China at the time, so that person probably won't be there at all.

To say nothing of speaking fluent Mandarin by then !

Red
-6th September 2008, 00:06
I know I'm not that brilliant computerwise but when I click on 'Thread Tools' I don't get an option to 'subscribe to this thread'. I get 'e-mail this page' or 'printable version'!

what am I doing wrong?

Under 'Thread tools' I see 'Show Printable Version', 'Email this page' and 'Subscribe to this thread'. It should be in the blue box at the top of the page between the orange box 'View First Unread Thread' and the blue boxes with 'Search this thread', 'Rate Thread' and 'Display modes' in them.

If you don't see that, ask one of the admins.

stephenda
-6th September 2008, 07:02

what am I doing wrong?

Jan - assuming you are logged in you are have most likely been automatically subscribed when you made your first post to the thread. if you see an 'unsubscibe' option then this is the case.

You can edit your subscriptions in your profile section (click on User CP / List Subscriptions)

Keith.A.Smith
-7th September 2008, 18:56
Dear Boo Boo,

Just read Neil's post. It says it all.Once the fitness tests etc are completed the names will be put on the BFA web site and I will as always write to each fencer selected.

Hope you are well,

Keith

Boo Boo
-7th September 2008, 19:13
Dear Boo Boo,

Just read Neil's post. It says it all.Once the fitness tests etc are completed the names will be put on the BFA web site and I will as always write to each fencer selected.

Hope you are well,

Keith

Keith

I think that you might be confused... It wasn't me who asked, I merely answered someone else's question and pointed them in the direction of where there information could be found (unfortunately I didn't realise that the information was secret - I though it was common knowledge/sense that it was posted where it was... :whistle: ).

I am very well thank you :). Hope that you are well too.

Best Wishes,
Boo

Keith.A.Smith
-7th September 2008, 21:28
Dear Boo Boo,

Not confused at all thanks. Replying to your posts that's all.

The team cannot be posted as yet as not yet approved and that is commonsense. Neil has explained that quite clearly.

Keith

Boo Boo
-7th September 2008, 21:32
Dear Boo Boo,

Not confused at all thanks. Replying to your posts that's all.

The team cannot be posted as yet as not yet approved and that is commonsense. Neil has explained that quite clearly.

Keith

But I didn't ask for the team to be posted and I only posted once on this thread (so you would be hard pushed to reply to my "posts") :confused:

I am sorry if you are confused.

Boo

Keith.A.Smith
-7th September 2008, 21:45
Dear Boo Boo,

You posted as follows:-

Doesn't look like secrecy (for any reason), just usual lack of communication from the BFA...

Boo

I was pointing out that not secrecy at all but the team has not be ratified yet.

Keith

Boo Boo
-7th September 2008, 22:22
Dear Boo Boo,

You posted as follows:-

Boo

I was pointing out that not secrecy at all but the team has not be ratified yet.

Keith

Ah, a little quoting always helps you to make your posts clear - I didn't have a clue what you were on about...

But, as you quoted, I had said that it had nothing to do with secrecy either (I said "it doesn't look like secrecy (for any reason)"): because the information was publically posted on Neil's website.

I had just assumed that it was the usual lack of or slow official communication from the BFA (like the publishing of athlete profiles etc...). In this case I was wrong :)

Boo

Tubby
-8th September 2008, 12:35
Boo - put it down and walk out of the shop :D

DSSabre
-10th September 2008, 01:23
So once the team has been ratified and the names published will there be a training camp the week before the Europeans for the team?

DS

KJK
-10th September 2008, 06:42
So once the team has been ratified and the names published will there be a training camp the week before the Europeans for the team?

DS

A good idea in principle but many team members may well still be at school. What are the practicalities of asking them to take two weeks out of an academic term?

DSSabre
-10th September 2008, 08:47
I was under the impression that the week before was half term. If not a week then what is wrong with a weekend?

David

KJK
-10th September 2008, 09:36
I was under the impression that the week before was half term. If not a week then what is wrong with a weekend?

David

Sadly no. Not all LEA's have the same half term this year. If there was a training camp for a whole week it might therefore mean some kids not actually being at school for a total of 3 weeks ( 1 week half term, 1 week training, 1 week away).

A weekend well that's a dfferent matter, but then i suppose the whole question of funding raises its ugly head. I also think I read from one of your posts on a different thead that you wrote that some of our youngsters are doing too much. Are you not trying to add something extra into their busy schedule for this year? What do you suggest taking out this year to accomodate the extra training.

DSSabre
-10th September 2008, 13:06
I would remove some of the pointless competitions that numerous fencers feel they need to go to achieve qualification for inernational events. This mainly applies to fencers who are competing in more than one age group.

Also training camps are not the same as over competing. That said three weeks off school would not go down well even at my school. Perhaps a weekend together then? I know some fencers are planning there own weapon specific training and thought it would be better for all parties to get together.

I do think that the whole squad training together even if only for a weekend would be good but do accept that there are limitations to what is possible re funding and venues etc. But has this even been thought about?

Neil Brown
-16th September 2008, 15:59
Teams are now confirmed & will be up on the British Fencing web page soon.

Team fencers & coaches, please check the spreadsheet & let me have any missing information.

It seems likely that accreditations will be controlled for this event, limited to 50% of the number of fencers as for world championships.

Foilling Around
-21st September 2008, 20:35

David

Remember that this is the JUNIOR Europeans and many of the fencers are at or just starting University. They have no half term.

AussieMongrel
-24th September 2008, 12:54
Has the team been announced for this? Had a look on the BFA web site and could not find it.

Lynne
-24th September 2008, 13:29
Has the team been announced for this? Had a look on the BFA web site and could not find it.

It's here (http://www.britishfencing.com/British_Fencing.asp?PageID=1133)

Or go through menus - competitions, national teams. . .

PM1
-30th September 2008, 18:16
Sorry - order form for optioanl kit going up tonight (and posted here) for retun to me by 10pm MONDAY next week....:whistle:

PM1
-1st October 2008, 01:22
let's see if this works....

PM1
-1st October 2008, 08:42
Sorry....my attention was elsewhere when I did this last night :mad: - b!**!y burglars - NB the cost of the hoodies is CHANGED...upwards of course - ordinary pull on 22, zip up 27. This is esentially because of the cost of printing on the rear....if you see what I mean....:whistle: sorry.....:o

Hassan
-7th October 2008, 18:27
http://www.ejc08.eu/html/entry_by_number.html

Anyone know why the French aren't going?

PM1
-25th October 2008, 13:05
Optional kit now cluttering up my living room..:o Being packed today, and if not to the postie today, will be on Monday :D

Neil Brown
-31st October 2008, 15:59
Final information for the team now up on the Amsterdam link at www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net).

All the coaches & fencers who are using the flights booked by British Fencing should have your eticket details. Fencers, please check the spreadsheet to make sure I have all the information I need from you.

Entry lists are now on the event web site.

There's an article about the team on the front page of the UK School Games web site.

Best of luck to all fencers.

Neil Brown
-31st October 2008, 16:01
Results will be at

http://www.ejc08.eu/html/competition.html

Foilling Around
-1st November 2008, 06:01
The first big wave of the team leave today. Good luck to Team GB and all who sail in her!!

Hassan
-1st November 2008, 12:01
Looks like the Ophardt Team system will have live results:

http://212.34.165.4:8080/WAFechten/index.jsp

Boo Boo
-1st November 2008, 12:37
Very best wishes to everyone - go get them :)

Boo

PM1
-1st November 2008, 12:39
Good luck gang !!! Go get 'em ;)

Foilling Around
-2nd November 2008, 16:19
Been at the venue today. Looks good, well set up, but it could get very crowded tomorrow.

Weapon control have been very picky. Message for Barry - 4 of your foils failed for being too long.

But don't get too defensive because 2 of the Hungarian foils also failed on lehgth.

Unfortunately no wireless connection at the venue so I won't be able to report in real time. However above you will find two different link to live scoring.

Best of luck to the men's epee who's coach leaves at 06.30 in the morning (I will still be in bed) and the women's foil, who have a more civilised coach at 10.00.

pigeonmeister
-3rd November 2008, 13:25
ME- May into L32 all others out

WF- McKenzie and Mullins into L64, Sibert and Ng eliminated.

stephenda
-3rd November 2008, 14:09
WF - Philippa Mullins thru to 32

Lisa out.

pigeonmeister
-3rd November 2008, 14:10
May out 15-13 to Boreyko (world No.13) in L32- good effort

WF

Mullins into L32-fencing Batini ITA (world no.19)

Mckenzie hammered 15-1 by world number 2 Kreiss HUN.

pigeonmeister
-3rd November 2008, 15:32
Mullins out 15-3

Good effort overall

Foilling Around
-3rd November 2008, 23:34
Congratulations to Philippa Mullins. Her L32 placing means that, subject to ratification by the IC in due course, she now has enough points to qualify for the World Juniors in Belfast.

TBennett
-4th November 2008, 09:10
I thought it was 2 L32's or a L16 these days?

Peter Pan
-4th November 2008, 09:14
no, 7,500 points from max 3 nominated foreign comps

Foilling Around
-4th November 2008, 09:23

Correct, and for once a change which benefitted WF

Every one of the events we could nominate has a NIF of over 1000. There are no medium strength WF JWCs where our girls can "get some experience".

With them all being strong it means that you can achieve 7,500 points with a L64 and L32. Philippa in fact has well over 8,000 points.

Lisa was very unlucky not to join her when she met the world number 2 in the L64, who had lost 3 fights in her poule. Fanny had got her head together by then and didn't give Lisa a look in.

Fanny the spoilt the day of the number 2 seed Alice Volpi by dumping her out in the L32.

Lynne
-4th November 2008, 09:47
James 4 up 2 down
Husayn 4 up 1 down
Rhys 3 up 2 down
Marcus 2 up 3 down

2 poules to come in for seeding.

Boo Boo
-4th November 2008, 09:56
James 4 up 2 down
Husayn 4 up 1 down
Rhys 3 up 2 down
Marcus 2 up 3 down

Good luck to all of them in their DEs.

Boo

JackSparrow
-4th November 2008, 10:01
Looks like Rhys and James have drawn each other in the DE : (

Tubby
-4th November 2008, 10:56
Husayn 14
James 28
Rhys 37
Marcus 58

Rhys and James fight each other in the 64

Tubby
-4th November 2008, 11:01
Marcus 8-9 down with a minute to go

Tubby
-4th November 2008, 11:02
Marcus 9-12 down 30 secs to go

Tubby
-4th November 2008, 11:03
10-14 - 20 sec
Out 10-15

Lynne
-4th November 2008, 11:07
Rhys beat james 15 - 6 Didn'tget the live feed though.
Husayn 6-6

Tubby
-4th November 2008, 11:19
:( Husayn out 10-15

pigeonmeister
-4th November 2008, 11:26
COME ON RHYS!!

He's got some Greek chap next- ranked 61 in the world and has just dumped out an even higher ranked Austrian.

Go get him, mate...

Lynne
-4th November 2008, 11:28
Husayn out 10 - 15 :-( Looked like a hard fight.

Lynne
-4th November 2008, 11:49
Stupid question - why don't they get world ranking points from the European Championships at Junior Level, but do (I'm told but haven't checked) for Senior?

It would be fair to award points for this as long as the PanAmerican and African etc Champs are also allowed points.

cesh_fencing
-4th November 2008, 11:52
It all depends on whether the European Federation wishes to comply fully and register it as a FIE points event. Guess they have decided not to?

Lynne
-4th November 2008, 12:00
Women's Sabre Poules finished
Kira 5/6
Sophie 3/6
Grace 2/6
Jess 0/6

Foilling Around
-4th November 2008, 12:04
It all depends on whether the European Federation wishes to comply fully and register it as a FIE points event. Guess they have decided not to?

Politics and cost.

By the way there was some very good refreeing yesterday, but some of it was doggy at best and corrupt at worst.

Liz Ng's last fight was the most blatant one eyed refereeing I have ever seen. She literally only got points with one light.

Poor girl would still not have gome through, but it would have been nice to have finished the poule on a high.

In the Women's semi between De Constanzo and Deriglizova the ref made a real howler missing a clear parry riposte. De Constanzo lifted her mask and just said "Monsieur?" in a polite tone before saying "pardon" immediately. She was yellow carded.

When I think what people get away with is this country!! (Including me I might add)

Foilling Around
-4th November 2008, 12:07
Kira 5/6
Sophie 3/6
Grace 2/6
Jess 0/6

Oh no not again - Sophie vs Kira in the L32

cesh_fencing
-4th November 2008, 12:11
Oh no not again - Sophie vs Kira in the L32

At least it is a guarenteed L16 for a Brit...

pigeonmeister
-4th November 2008, 12:39
Rhys coming back from 5-1 to 5-3

pigeonmeister
-4th November 2008, 12:43
8-7 Up...come On Fella!

pigeonmeister
-4th November 2008, 12:44
Gone into arse kicking mode- 12-7!

pigeonmeister
-4th November 2008, 12:48
15-9 and into the 16!

Foilling Around
-4th November 2008, 12:49
Great result Ma Melia - Let's see if he can go a step further at least.

Boo Boo
-4th November 2008, 12:59
15-9 and into the 16!

Absolutely brilliant - keep going Rhys :)

Boo

Foilling Around
-4th November 2008, 13:02
His opponent Osmanski is 7th in the World and, if I remember correctly, he was Rhys' first fight in his poule in Bratislava a few weeks ago. So Rhys has a good idea of what to expect.

Lynne
-4th November 2008, 13:07
Hmmm. As I'm told, Rhys went 3 or 4 - 1 up, and then Osmanski realised what was happening and won 5-4. Rhys will just have to do something different today. Fingers crossed! ;-)

Foilling Around
-4th November 2008, 13:07
On an even brighter note, with a L16 at the Eden and at least a L16 here, Rhys has virtually guaranteed himself a place in Belfast for the Worlds

Lynne
-4th November 2008, 13:11
Eden gave him 8,600 point towards and beyond the 7,500 needed. This is going to put him quite a way out in front I would imagine!

TBennett
-4th November 2008, 13:13

Ah fair enough, makes qualification slightly easier..

Foilling Around
-4th November 2008, 13:14
Hmmm. As I'm told, Rhys went 3 or 4 - 1 up, and then Osmanski realised what was happening and won 5-4. Rhys will just have to do something different today. Fingers crossed! ;-)

I believe you are right - but maybe Osmanski has a bad memory!

I seem to think that I felt Rhys got a bit over confident and just expected the last hit to come when he could have sat back a bit and let Osmanski make mistakes chasing to get back into the game.

In fact it is often better to be the one who lost in a close fight when it come to fencing again. You know that you have to change. The other fencer knows that what they did worked. To that extent you can have an advantage, if you have the tactical ability to take the initiative.

Foilling Around
-4th November 2008, 13:16
Eden gave him 8,600 point towards and beyond the 7,500 needed. This is going to put him quite a way out in front I would imagine!

That is really what I meant as there could well be more than 3 boys get over the 7,500 point barrier this year and so put themselves in contention.

TomA
-4th November 2008, 13:17
James out 15-6 to Rhys
Marcus out 15-10 to Philippe Jorgensen (Denmark)
Husayn out 15-10 to Wassim Osman (Romania)

Rhys beat Filippos Nissim (Greece), which puts him into the 16 I think. He's got Pawel Osmanski (Poland) next.

Edit: Ooops, all this already been posted since I decided to go results hunting :(

Foilling Around
-4th November 2008, 13:24
Ah fair enough, makes qualification slightly easier..

Possibly, but also fairer.

The minimun NIF to count results was 600. So in some weapons there are events which traditionally have a arround or just above that. Getting a L32 in those events is easier than in an event with a NIFF of say 1100, and yet they were counted as the same for qualification purposes.

If you get a 3 X L64 even in strong events you will still not get to 7,500 points (nearer 6,800). You still have to get at least 1 x L32 in a decent event.

If they are both strong events (NIFF 1000 or above I would say) then a L32 and a L64 will do. Weaker events you will have to do better.

Remember you also still have to be in the top 50%. Even though Lisa McKenzie finished in the 30s yesterday she does not get points because there were only 64 fencers.

In short, I think the change to a points based target from a rounds based target is fairer.

TomA
-4th November 2008, 13:26
Kira beat Sophie 15-13

stephenda
-4th November 2008, 13:30
Kira now meets the world no 2, Julia GAVRILOVA

Go Kira!

Foilling Around
-4th November 2008, 13:30
Kira beat Sophie 15-13

Having been 7:11 down at one point it seems.

A good day for Kira wit ha 10th seeding

TBennett
-4th November 2008, 13:38
Possibly, but also fairer.

The minimun NIF to count results was 600. So in some weapons there are events which traditionally have a arround or just above that. Getting a L32 in those events is easier than in an event with a NIFF of say 1100, and yet they were counted as the same for qualification purposes.

If you get a 3 X L64 even in strong events you will still not get to 7,500 points (nearer 6,800). You still have to get at least 1 x L32 in a decent event.

If they are both strong events (NIFF 1000 or above I would say) then a L32 and a L64 will do. Weaker events you will have to do better.

Remember you also still have to be in the top 50%. Even though Lisa McKenzie finished in the 30s yesterday she does not get points because there were only 64 fencers.

In short, I think the change to a points based target from a rounds based target is fairer.

Seems a good idea. When I was in Juniors, the round based target system was a little annoying at times..

Foilling Around
-4th November 2008, 13:44
His opponent Osmanski is 7th in the World and, if I remember correctly, he was Rhys' first fight in his poule in Bratislava a few weeks ago. So Rhys has a good idea of what to expect.

Living with him at first break - 6:6

Hot Bot
-4th November 2008, 13:52
Rhys out in the 16 15-9
held him to 9-9, but then lost the next 6.

TomA
-4th November 2008, 13:53
Rhys out 15-9.

Looked like a close fight though - level all the way until 9 all. Great effort :)

Lynne
-4th November 2008, 14:07
Clash of guards at 9 all bashed Rhys's finger - did the work, made the openings, but lost the crucial point control to finish the hits after that. Brilliant result, and most of all, he's happy with it.

Red
-4th November 2008, 14:44
Clash of guards at 9 all bashed Rhys's finger - did the work, made the openings, but lost the crucial point control to finish the hits after that. Brilliant result, and most of all, he's happy with it.

Ouch - bit of a bugger. Still, well done Rhys!

TomA
-4th November 2008, 15:43
Kira out 15-8.

Gangsta G
-4th November 2008, 15:55
Two very respectable and encouraging results. Well done to Rhys and Kira.

Rob.Leicester
-4th November 2008, 16:01
Nice Rhys!

Jan O'C
-4th November 2008, 18:34
Kira 5/6
Sophie 3/6
Grace 2/6
Jess 0/6

Grace won first 2 fights and then had badly pulled leg muscle. She's being taken home tonight as doctor says she won't be able to fence in team event. So disappointing for her after winning her first 2 poule fights and looking good to go.

Well done Kira and sympathy to Sophie.

Lynne
-5th November 2008, 10:50
Girls Foil seeded 10th lost to ROU (seeded 7th) 27 - 45. Now fence NED in 5 minutes or so for their place in the 9 - 16 slot.

Sympathy to Grace for her injury yesterday :-(

Boo Boo
-5th November 2008, 11:28
Girls Foil seeded 10th lost to ROU (seeded 7th) 27 - 45. Now fence NED in 5 minutes or so for their place in the 9 - 16 slot.

Good luck to the girls in their remaining matches - keep working hard and fighting. It isn't easy fencing off for places, but it is all incredibly valuable experience.

Boo

Boo Boo
-5th November 2008, 12:08
The mens epee team beat Bulgaria in the L32, and then very NARROWLY lost to Germany (No 3 seeds) 41-45 (in the L16) in what looked like a very hard fought match. That was so close!

In "9-16" playoff, they lost to Sweden (45:34) and will now fence Denmark in "13-16" playoff.

Good luck to them.

Boo

Boo Boo
-5th November 2008, 14:25
Looks like our WF beat Turkey, although the score is down as "V 0:0" - don't know if it was a walk over or if they just haven't posted the scores yet... They finish 11th.

ME lost to Denmark (45:36) and fence Israel for 15th place. So close against Germany (to get into the last 8) - I doubt that their final placing will adequately reflect their day.

Boo

Neil Brown
-5th November 2008, 14:42
WF beat Turkey 45-0, shows the value of being on time actually!

ME beat Israel to come 15th.

stephenda
-6th November 2008, 12:28
MS Ranking after the poules

6 MOTTERSHEAD Thomas
42 CRUTCHETT Alexander
51 RATNESWARAN Maiyuran
50 BRIGHTMAN Samuel

smiley
-6th November 2008, 12:33
MS Ranking after the poules

6 MOTTERSHEAD Thomas
42 CRUTCHETT Alexander
51 RATNESWARAN Maiyuran
50 BRIGHTMAN Samuel

Any news on Womens Epee. Having trouble getting results from the site!

Lynne
-6th November 2008, 12:39
Just watched 2 L32 fights (well, you know what I mean!) Corinna won 9 - 8 in extra minute with 28 seconds to go. Hannah out 15 - 9. Sis and Liz out in the 64.

Lynne
-6th November 2008, 12:41
Corinna wil fence no 4 seed Pochkalova UKR, probably between 1 and 1.30 our time.

smiley
-6th November 2008, 12:43
Corinna wil fence no 4 seed Pochkalova UKR, probably between 1 and 1.30 our time.

Good luck Corinna!

Boo Boo
-6th November 2008, 13:10
Good luck Corinna!

Definitely and to the MS too :)

Boo

Hot Bot
-6th November 2008, 13:49
Corinna beat Pochkalova 15-14!!!!
Maiyuran lost 15-7, Sam lost 15-6 and Anthony lost 15-9. Tom had a bye and is fencing at 2.

Hot Bot
-6th November 2008, 13:59
Tom had a bye and is fencing at 2.
Tom won 15-14!!! Shows how quick sabre is that he was finished before 2 ;)

Red
-6th November 2008, 14:20
So is that Tom's ticket to the worlds sorted?

Tubby
-6th November 2008, 14:34
Corinna into the semi

JulianRose
-6th November 2008, 14:35
what round does this put people into?

Peter Pan
-6th November 2008, 14:41
So is that Tom's ticket to the worlds sorted?

Yes, according to Stephen D'A's site http://u20sabre.net NIF = 109 (x10) and minimum multiplier for L16 = 8 - so qualified:thumbs_up

Red
-6th November 2008, 14:46
Go Tom and Corrina - don't stop now :not_worth

Rdb811
-6th November 2008, 14:47
Corinna into the semi

?????? L16 per web site

Boo Boo
-6th November 2008, 14:51
?????? L16 per web site

No, semi, as far as the DE table goes... amazing - good luck to her and Tom :)

Boo

Rdb811
-6th November 2008, 15:02
CAn't find it, only the men's sabre.

Rdb811
-6th November 2008, 15:10
Found it - seems to get a little confused with the other event at times.

rpryer
-6th November 2008, 15:36
Tom out 15-10 in the L16.

Rob.Leicester
-6th November 2008, 15:38
I think this thread is starting to become a rival for BBC's Live Text site.
It's great to be getting these constant updates :D

Gangsta G
-6th November 2008, 16:05
WELL DONE to Tom and GOOD LUCK to Corinna. Two more very encouraging results.

PM1
-6th November 2008, 17:12
Corrine out 15/9. But well done, girl !!

Boo Boo
-6th November 2008, 17:54
Corrine out 15/9. But well done, girl !!

Brilliant - Bronze medal :)

Great L16 in the MS too and well done to everyone else.

Good luck to those still left to fence the various team events...

Boo

Hot Bot
-6th November 2008, 18:02
Congrats both of you, and good luck to everyone in the teams! :)

Lynne
-6th November 2008, 19:24
Fantastic results - well done both :not_worth

Men's Foil team 9th seed against Germany 8th seed 9am start (our time) Aargh - got to go to work!

cesh_fencing
-6th November 2008, 22:39
Home after a 24hr trip to support Corrina. She fenced really well, gave me a couple of heart attacks en-route but really deserved the result.

Think this is now 3 Final 8s (or better) in 3 years at World or European Championships for her age, consistancy is very hard to get at this level, and she does seem to have the nack of getting results regularily at the big events.

After the team event the next target is Belfast....

Hassan
-7th November 2008, 08:28
Can't understand why more people are not commenting on this fantastic result. This is an incredible achievement. Level of performance needed to get a medal at such an event is phenomenal. Well done to Corrina!

Having been out in Amsterdam earlier this week and witnessing the high level of fencing in evidence (and the obvious professionalism of most of the top nations - Italy, Germany, Poland, etc.), I can't help thinking about how good Lawrence Halstead and Richard Kruse must have been (are) to have both won gold not so many years ago.

smiley
-7th November 2008, 09:30
Can't understand why more people are not commenting on this fantastic result. This is an incredible achievement. Level of performance needed to get a medal at such an event is phenomenal. Well done to Corrina!

Having been out in Amsterdam earlier this week and witnessing the high level of fencing in evidence (and the obvious professionalism of most of the top nations - Italy, Germany, Poland, etc.), I can't help thinking about how good Lawrence Halstead and Richard Kruse must have been (are) to have both won gold not so many years ago.

I agree, Fantastic result. Well done Corinna!

Tubby
-7th November 2008, 11:08
Can't understand why more people are not commenting on this fantastic result. This is an incredible achievement. Level of performance needed to get a medal at such an event is phenomenal. Well done to Corrina!Pity you couldn't hear my 5 message running commentary on my home answer phone of the latter stage of Corinna's L8 fight as I was relaying news of her getting into the 4. (I would have bigged up her getting into the semi a bit more when I posted that she had, had I not thought she could have got to the final). As for incredible achievement, I've mixed views. It is a result that has been waiting to happen and there is much more, I'm sure, to come from Corinna. I am so happy for Corinna and her coach (and former coach) and that some amount of sanity has returned to the JWE rankings.

Like JMF, there is a cohort of fencers in JWE who are good and who can help each other raise their collective level of skill and potential attainment. Unfortunately they are scattered around GB with one living in Milan and they are all on different schemes so collective development ain't gonna happen. So the remarkable bit about Corinna's medal is that she has done it as a part funded athlete in a disjointed system, in fulltime education, which as you comment, puts into perspective the achievements of Halsted and Kruse, which were incredible (and they are a bit good). The critical thing I believe to ensure is that she does not suffer like so many do, a drop off or plateau-ing in form now that she is at university; and it appears she has found support to ward against that.

I don't know if Cool Corin reads this forum, but I add my and my family's warmest and excited congratulations to her and her coach(s).

Keith.A.Smith
-7th November 2008, 12:03
Dear All,

A great result by Corinna. Really well done!!!

Best wishes,

keith

Rob.Leicester
-7th November 2008, 14:17
Any news on the WS and MF team events?

GKB
-7th November 2008, 14:25
WS - GB beat Holland 45-18 to get into the 8, lost to Russia in the 8 20-45, lost to Spain for 5-6 place 35-45, then won against Aze 45-41 to finish 7th

MS - playing to 9-10 place at the moment. I think lost against Germany, then won the 9-12 placing against Sweden, and also against Holland.

Miss_P
-7th November 2008, 23:58
Good luck to the teams fencing tomorrow. Epee Girls are seeded 7 and fence the CZE in the L16. MS are seeded 11 and fence 6th seed Spain.

Boo Boo
-8th November 2008, 11:52
Good luck to the teams fencing tomorrow. Epee Girls are seeded 7 and fence the CZE in the L16. MS are seeded 11 and fence 6th seed Spain.

WE: GB bt CZE (45:34) in the L16, lost to second seed POL (45:25) in the L8, waiting to fence SWE in "5-8" play-off.

MS: GB lost of ESP (44:45 - sooooo close!) in the L16, then they bt AZE (45:36) in the "9-16" play-off, wiaiting to fence GEO in the "9-12" play-off. Amazingly close against ESP, though: that must have been a tense match to watch...

Boo

cesh_fencing
-8th November 2008, 12:57
WE: GB bt CZE (45:34) in the L16, lost to second seed POL (45:25) in the L8, waiting to fence SWE in "5-8" play-off.

Great win on the last hit 43-42 to make it through to the 5th/6th Match against Russia. Looks like it was a tight match all the way through with Corinna starting a point done and just catching up in the last bout and from the detailed scoring looks like she won it in the extra minute.....

Boo Boo
-8th November 2008, 13:34
Great win on the last hit 43-42 to make it through to the 5th/6th Match against Russia. Looks like it was a tight match all the way through with Corinna starting a point done and just catching up in the last bout and from the detailed scoring looks like she won it in the extra minute.....

Amazing! Sounds like great team work and fantastic nerve until the end :)

5th or 6th will be a fantastic result out of a field of 19... a reflection of the growing strength and depth of the WE in this country :)

Good luck against Russia.

Boo

Boo Boo
-8th November 2008, 13:39
MS: Lost to GEO (45:38) in the "9-12" play-off, then lost to AUT (45:43 - another very close one) to finish 12th.

They were so close (one hit away, against ESP) to a L8.

Boo

cesh_fencing
-8th November 2008, 14:07
Corinna starts the final bout 39-37 down against russia.. Come on Corinna.

Red
-8th November 2008, 14:24
If Orphardt is to be believed, that bout finished 45-37.

cesh_fencing
-8th November 2008, 14:29
Corinna was against the world number 1 who is pretty nifty, but great for the team to have got to the final match and still be in contention..

Well done to all the girls for a great 6th place out of 19, certainly a solid performance.

Boo Boo
-8th November 2008, 15:00
Corinna was against the world number 1 who is pretty nifty, but great for the team to have got to the final match and still be in contention..

Well done to all the girls for a great 6th place out of 19, certainly a solid performance.

Definitely - great team performance :)

Boo

Gangsta G
-8th November 2008, 20:25
With one individual L4, three individual L16s, four individual L32s and two team L8s, is it just me, or have these championships been one of GBR's most successful recent championships? (In terms of consistent results as opposed to picking up a couple of medals and everyone else going out in the poules/L64.)

Meg_SF
-8th November 2008, 20:30
Congratulations Corinna!! Brilliant stuff you star :->

Neil Brown
-11th November 2008, 14:13
Well done to Corinna of course.

Also to the 3 who made a L16: Kira Roberts, Tom Mottershead & Rhys Melia.

WS & WE teams made the L8.

GBR were 7th on the nations ranking & on the medal table.

All results are up at www.ejc08.eu (http://www.ejc08.eu)

British results are at http://sabrerankings.250x.com/amsterdamresults08.htm

All fencers & coaches have now had a feedback form to complete. Please make sure these get back to me in the next week.

Thanks to the team staff who worked hard to make sure each fencer had the best chance of performing to the top of their ability:-
Peter Barrett, Sue Benney, Norman Golding, Pierre Harper & Maciej Wojtkowiak.
We also had 9 personal coaches who made the trip at their own expense.

Thanks to Maggie Lloyd-Jones for work organising the team kit.

Well done to the 2 referees: Huw Barton & Matt Haynes for their work at the competition & help in team management.

Keith.A.Smith
-11th November 2008, 14:57
Dear All,

My thanks to Neil for managing the GBR team. Well done to all on this very encouraging results.

Keith

UglyBug
-21st November 2008, 16:27
How come nobody on the FIE ranking lists have points from this competition?

Gangsta G
-21st November 2008, 17:26
How come nobody on the FIE ranking lists have points from this competition?Something to do with the competition not conforming to the correct FIE regulations and therefore not qualifying for FIE points, I think.

Foilling Around
-21st November 2008, 18:13
How come nobody on the FIE ranking lists have points from this competition?

Politics - nuff sed!

tiger Swords
-5th December 2008, 10:51
Bit unfair awarding points for European results when anyone from the rest of the world can't score points....!! In the seniors there are are regional events & the points are not awarded until all regional events have been completed. Guess either the same happens in the Juniors or may be there are not regional events at the Junior level....

JulianRose
-5th December 2008, 10:57
even at senior level the points are added on when the regional events occur. there can be a time lag for this to come through, but it is a 12 month rolling ranking so you are always counting last years at least.

Neil Brown
-5th December 2008, 12:20
The European junior championships do not count towards world rankings.

The EFC has made a decision not to conform to FIE rules for this event, i.e. no FIE license needed, non-FIE refs allowed, video refereeing & transparent masks not compulsory.