PDA

View Full Version : Fencing on BBC 1 tonight

kingkenny
-4th August 2008, 16:12
Ok I think and I may be wrong but There will be fencing on the one show on the bbc tonight I think the show starts at six.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/theoneshow/thisweek/2008/28072008.shtml

The two presenters are doing some fencing with Jim Philbin.

madfencer
-4th August 2008, 17:20
It will actually be shown tonight on BBC1 from 7-7.30 tonight (for me in the south west anyway).

kingkenny
-5th August 2008, 09:50
Ok its on Thursday.

Sorry it was recorder Monday. The two presenters have an Epee fight to 5 hits. Put who will win. A classic Man Vs Women sporting contest.

KJK
-5th August 2008, 16:01
item on Richard Kruse on the Lunch time news today-- BBC London and the South East. Short but covered salient points.They might perhaps broadcast it again tonight as part of the news at 6:30pm

kingkenny
-7th August 2008, 16:08
Ok its on tonight the 07/08/2008 on the one show. :)

dt19
-7th August 2008, 18:30
well that was exciting. what on earth is an 'ee-pee'?!

scottishsabreur
-7th August 2008, 22:04
At least they made it look fun :p Isn't that the important bit?

kingkenny
-8th August 2008, 07:14
I had a power cut for the whole evening so I missed it.

I cannot stress the importance of having a good head torch enough.

amulets
-8th August 2008, 10:55
Thought it was totally ridiculous.
Why do ignorant T.V. presenters/producers persist in trivialising sports such as fencing ?
They did the same to archery.

TLove
-8th August 2008, 13:07
OK, I'll bite.

er....
...what exactly did you expect? Of course it won't be covered to the detail and accuracy that we, as fencers, expect. At least it got some airtime, and if it gets some people interested in the sport then all well and good.

kingkenny
-8th August 2008, 13:55
I soooooo wanted to bite but restrained myself. I must be getting boring in my old age.

One of my friends saw it and texted me to say he had just seen fencing on TV. So worst case is that people watched and thought "fencing".

hokers
-8th August 2008, 14:17
I haven't seen it, but I know what amulets is talking about.

Words like swashbuckling, Zorro and "shouts of Touche!" are often used by journalists who see fencing as a bit of an eccentric minority sport. Very immature and prejudiced really, but I think it's because most people in their audience don't know anything about the sport.

As it gets more mainstream, journalists will be able to pitch it at a more serious competition level.

Grem
-9th August 2008, 17:11
I know. I remember the last Olympic games I actually sent an email of complaint to the BBC for not showing ANY fencing! :p

It does annoy me. I know it's a fast sport, and so people may not catch all of it (unless your a action-replay camera), but it would be nice if they showed SOMETHING! A bullet going through the air isn't exactly slow, but shooting is still watchable.

fencingmaster
-9th August 2008, 20:32
item on Richard Kruse on the Lunch time news today-- BBC London and the South East. Short but covered salient points.They might perhaps broadcast it again tonight as part of the news at 6:30pm

Same reporter doing a piece scheduled for Wednesday 13th BBC London News 6.30pm.

BBC for not showing ANY fencing!

BBC day 1 of tv coverage. USA win bronze, silver, gold at one fencing event and equalling Germany's achievement at Seoul, but does it get a mention? At end of coverage they showed medal table with USA second with those 3 medals and didn't even bother to mention how they were achieved. Unprofessional. ignorant or what?

TLove
-10th August 2008, 01:04
BBC day 1 of tv coverage. USA win bronze, silver, gold at one fencing event and equalling Germany's achievement at Seoul, but does it get a mention? At end of coverage they showed medal table with USA second with those 3 medals and didn't even bother to mention how they were achieved. Unprofessional. ignorant or what?

As I pointed out in another thread. BBC state 29 Olympic sports, but televise 28.

purple
-10th August 2008, 09:17
well that was exciting. what on earth is an 'ee-pee'?!

One of these: http://eeepc.asus.com/global/

What's happening dudes?