PDA

View Full Version : 2008/9 fixtures

pigeonmeister
-6th August 2008, 18:41
Not sure if everyone has known this for ages, but the fixtures for next season are up on the BUSA website.

http://www.busa.org.uk/fl/fencing_leagues.asp

Anyone from Loughborough know why both our matches with you are at yours?

scottishsabreur
-6th August 2008, 18:56
I could be missing something but why is their no Scottish Conference? Obviously I know its all on the one weekend but it would be nice to know who is entering teams...I guess just the usual lot...except Edinburgh...I was unaware that Edinburgh had migrated to the north of England :p

pigeonmeister
-6th August 2008, 19:15
Yea, we are all REALLY looking forward to that away match :)

Actually, I'll have to teach so I won't be going to any away matches this year.

Bayston
-6th August 2008, 21:58
Anyone know about the new teams in the Western Conference, are they new or they just been moved from another league? I think its Bristol Mens 2nds and Uni of West England

Bambi
-7th August 2008, 08:23
I could be missing something but why is their no Scottish Conference? Obviously I know its all on the one weekend but it would be nice to know who is entering teams...I guess just the usual lot...except Edinburgh...I was unaware that Edinburgh had migrated to the north of England :p

You forget that edinburgh 2 won their league so are promoted and take dundee's place in the 1st div. Even then with only a handful of ladies teams the two leagues may merge like they did a couple of years ago.

Just have to wait until september when we find out who's all got a team.

Swords Crossed
-7th August 2008, 11:45
Does anyone know how they've already decided the seeding for the Men's Northern Conference Cup? Some of those teams weren't even in existence last season.

Nick_C
-7th August 2008, 17:02
Not sure if everyone has known this for ages, but the fixtures for next season are up on the BUSA website.

http://www.busa.org.uk/fl/fencing_leagues.asp

Anyone from Loughborough know why both our matches with you are at yours?

Cheers for posting mate. i assume that the Lufbra thing is a typo, although it'd be worth checking which is supposed to be where.

Palatinate rookie
-31st August 2008, 16:39
BUSA is no more I'm afraid, you won't be able to access the fixtures via that link.
It's changed its name to BUCS (British University and College Sport), here's the new link:

http://www.bucs.org.uk/

anothermum
-31st August 2008, 19:50
University is a few years off yet but I thought I would look at the site just to see which universities have fencing teams and thus would be worth considering - thought the following on the BUCS website was worth reading:

55% of GB Olympic medallists come through university system

After an incredible three weeks of multi-sport action, the Great British Olympic team brought home a record 47 medals. With over half of the team made up of university students and alumni, there is no doubt that the combined contribution of the higher education sector has had a significant impact on the quality of the athletes' performances.

The raw facts

311 athletes competed in 20 sports for Team GB. Of these 180 had come through the university sector (58% of the team).
Team GB consisted of 168 men and 143 women competitors. The demographics of those with a higher education background gives a slightly different picture with 47:53 ratio of men to women in the 'university' team.
77 competitors won medals in Beijing, of these 42 (55%) had come through the university sector.

daoud
-1st September 2008, 16:06
That's why it was such a big mistake to exclude university student from consideration for the pathway.

madfencer
-1st September 2008, 17:00
Can't to be able to fence in BUSA. Hope Northumbria have a Women's Team this year :D Still, at least there's the individuals :)

hayleyjade
-2nd September 2008, 16:10
see you on 18th november madfencer!! :P

hxx