PDA

View Full Version : RK out to Joppich 10-9 :(

wingnutLP
-13th August 2008, 08:05
It went to overtime at 9 all before Joppich won after 54 seconds.

Joppich then went out 15-12 to Ota of Japan.

The last 4 are OTA, Sanzo, Kleibrink and Zhu who upset Cassara in the 8.

MatFink
-13th August 2008, 10:42
Ok the reality is that today was agonisingly close to the fairtale that we all hoped for and that we all wanted so badly for Richard. Today it didn't happen, but I would like to re-enforce with everyone quite how great Richard's achievement has been.

Lets allow firstly for the fact he found out comparitively late (compared to the other competitors {except Cassara}) that he was in the event and as such his final preparation period was truncated.

During this time he was also having to rehabilitate the very injury that cost him the place initially.

To add to the complication he was draw against a choice of both men who beat him at the European qualifier in Gent. His second round match was against either Joppich or Baldini.

I have been told by a number of coaches (at epee) that in the Olympics you plan for the first round, you can normally plan for the second round, but the rest is a stab in the dark.

Richards preparation was excellent, and this is demonstrated by his first match result. Saliscan, who he had only fenced once before when he lost to him, is a notoriously difficult fencer to put away and has a reputation for tough low scoring 9 minute fights. Richard beat him 15 - 6 !!!!!

Just taking that in isolation for a moment. That represents athlete preparation second to none around the world. It demonstrates a combination of Richard talent, work and dedication combined with world class coaching and analysis, combined with exactly the right choice of training partners. This alone is a demonstration that we can do it right and we can do it as well as anyone else in the world.

On to Joppich. Allow for the fact that Richard had to prepare for 3 rather than 2 possible opponents at this stage. Barring a miracle for someone else he was up against Baldini or Joppich, but following the drug scandal he also had to devote time and thought to Cassara, which will have been disruptive to the continuity of his training program as Cassara is very different from either Joppich or Baldini.

In reality the draw was probably in his favour because they will invariablely have been better prepared for Jopich having had more time. Of course how good can the draw be when its choice between the World No.1 and 3 times (including current) world champion, and the World no.3 in form having won the europeans.

After 9 minutes Richard was 9 all with arguably the most successful Championship fencer of this generation. It wasn't to be on this occasion but there are a handful of fencers in the world who can match Joppich in the way Richard has today.

It is not shocking that Joppich then lost to Ota, Ota is an excellent fencer ranked 10th in the world and likely had banked on meeting Joppich rather than Richard, where Peter had to consider the likelihood of either Choi or Ota. The Japanese foil squad has gone from strengh to strength in the last few years with the current Junior world champion and an ever improving senior squad.

That said, especially given their styles of fencing, I would have fancied my chances backing Richard against Ota had he had the opportunity but that is the cruel reality of elimination sport. So often it is the guy who beats us who was the strongest opponent on the draw with the path to glory hidden behind them.

I think we should celebrate what Richard has demonstrated to us all today.

With hard work, good coaching, the right support team, and the determination not to allow injury or misfortunate to hinder them Britsh Fencers ARE capable of matching the best in the world.

Well Done Richard, and well done to Zeimek, Ahmed and Artem who have been his team training out there.

I can't wait to see him in four years.

husy
-13th August 2008, 17:53
Well done Richard,
I was there supporting you at the back, With the crazy t-shirt that I spent 5 hours on. Alex and martina saw me just before youre match.
Well done Martina and to all the supporting team too. Soo close Richard unlucky keep it up!!!

Good luck alex.

wingnutLP
-13th August 2008, 18:15
Well done Richard,
I was there supporting you at the back, With the crazy t-shirt that I spent 5 hours on. Alex and martina saw me just before youre match.
Well done Martina and to all the supporting team too. Soo close Richard unlucky keep it up!!!

Good luck alex.

If it was the flag one then you are on bbc news!! here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/fencing/7557798.stm

Richard does a very good interview too.

Boo Boo
-13th August 2008, 22:19
Richard does a very good interview too.

Very good - both Richard and Alex come across very well.

Boo