PDA

View Full Version : Electric fencing requirements

Red Robot
-15th November 2003, 22:03
I'm about to start electric fencing in school competitions. I know I need an electric foil and and FIE lame, but what else do I need?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

neevel
-15th November 2003, 23:41
Red-

You might want to also check in at Fencing.net (http://www.fencing.net), where the focus is more on the US and Canada.

Given your location, I assume you're talking about the Great Lakes High School circuit. While those competitions are not run under the auspices of the USFA, the basic equipment guidelines will apply-- 2 electric weapons, 2 body cords, and a lame (there's no such thing as an "FIE homologated" lame, as it's just an element of the scoring gear and isn't intended to provide any protection). You'll also need full protective gear (jacket, breeches, underarm protector, mask, glove). FIE clothing and masks are not required.

-Dave

Red Robot
-16th November 2003, 04:15
Thanks. I've got another question though. What's the move called where you extend your arm and run towards your opponent? You get something like 2 steps then you have to be off the piste. Is it called a fleche, and what are the rules surrounding this move?

jonny
-16th November 2003, 11:24
Yes, it's called a fleche. I'm not sure there are too many rules surrounding it, although you're not allowed to actually run into your opponent, obviously. I think it's convention rather than rule to run pas their non-sword arm after making the attack.

pinkelephant
-17th November 2003, 12:49
You most certainly do not have to leave the piste - in fact if you do so deliberately to avoid being hit it's an offence. The fleche, and therefore the attack, is deemed to have finished when the back foot hits the floor - you are therefore then liable to be hit by the opponent if you have missed, even if you keep running at them.

Red Robot
-17th November 2003, 20:36
So basically the fleche is over once you've taken one large step with your front foot and your back foot reaches the floor? Can't you take multiple steps?

Australian
-17th November 2003, 21:09
multiple forward steps are considered to be a preparation and any simple attack on them has right of way

ceprab
-18th November 2003, 09:07
Originally posted by Red Robot
So basically the fleche is over once you've taken one large step with your front foot and your back foot reaches the floor? Can't you take multiple steps?

You can take as many steps as you like - you just won't have right of way.:tongue: