PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!!!

jpy8
-16th November 2003, 07:10
OK then let me explain!!!

I have been Fencing for aroun about 6-7 years right now I am 14.
I feel like I could improve A LOT MORE . I dont feel I have won enough(well I havnt won anything but I do have a few medals). I fence against some of the best fencers in the North West or even further. OK so I am not bad, but I am still not good enough!!
PLEASE HELP ME!! :moon: :upset:

jpy8
-18th November 2003, 06:51
I REALLY WOULD PIKE SOME TIPS PLEASE!!:)

Mantis
-18th November 2003, 07:43
Originally posted by jpy8
I REALLY WOULD PIKE SOME TIPS PLEASE!!:)

OK, here's one - say what you want help with and maybe you will get an answer. ;)

hokers
-18th November 2003, 08:33
Fundamentals is the thing that will make the biggest difference.

Work on your footwork, distance and point control.
At foil I would also suggest you spend time sharpening up your quarte riposte and circular parries. Lots of kids your age are fast and flicky at foil, so its probably worth working on countering that as well. Point in line, change of distance and enormous ugly parries are the best ways to counter the flick I would say, but there are lots of people much better qualified to advise you on here..

jpy8
-19th November 2003, 06:45
I am not really that good at flicks or countering them, so I think that is my downside. The thing is that my club really dont do flicks. My coach is very traditional. He is good. Just I feel I need to learn more!! The problem is that I am one of the two best foil fencers (kids) there by far all the rest of them are 11. It doesnt give me a challenge and that is what I want. So I cant wait to do the BYC qualifiers!!:grin: I need a CHALLENGE :mad:

pinkelephant
-19th November 2003, 07:42
If you're a foilist, get yourself either to Salle Kiss or Manchester Fencing Club, or both, as well as continuing to fence at Preston. In our region, where most clubs only run one night a week, you need to go to more than one to make real progress.

jpy8
-19th November 2003, 11:30
Thank you!! I have been to Roberts courses on weekends a couple of times! He is very good;)

Winwaloe
-24th November 2003, 16:19
Two suggestions - one -find the best coach in the region and have lessons - two - find some good adults and fence with them. You will learn and they may do as well. have seen both of these ideas work very well - Good luck and keep on fencing

minx
-8th December 2003, 12:10
Would it be too far for you to travel to Lancaster? Every monday night Morcambe Young blades meets, theres a couple of people who go who are about 16, most won't have fenced as long as you (i know this because they come from the club I fence at and it only opened last year) I used to go, but I know some people still do, and some people are about to join. They have very varying styles so it might do you well to fence different people, if you keep fencing the same people then it gets boring and you'll stop trying. Try to fing as many new people to fence and learn their styles, it'll help you know what to do when you fence people in competitions. Theres also a club in Kendal but I don't know the coaches there. One of the coaches at MYB doesn't discourage flicking, that much I know, this means you'll get more of a chance to practise against flickers (technical terminology)