PDA

View Full Version : Fencing Shows the way due to Mr Rochs vision

Barry Paul
-23rd August 2008, 09:50
Just read in the paper about a growing row about the boxing referee selection being fixed /changed from the automatic computer selection, at Taekwondo the two British athletes being robbed by four Judges, in the last bout I watched the British girl nearly knocking the Chinese girls head off in the last seconds, but no score registered. At boxing nothing changes with blatant scoring blows being ignored almost at random.

Mr Roch has tirelessly worked on making Fencing fair and to eliminate cheating. Time for the F.I.E. to sell some of it's replay technology?

Boo Boo
-23rd August 2008, 10:14
I must admit, watching the Taekwondo, it does make fencing refereeing seem an awful LOT fairer... fencers have a lot less to whine about compared with people who do Taekwondo :eek:

The scoring system in Taekwondo does seem very old fashioned: like before electric scoring equipment for fencing (when it also used judges). You would think hope that could introduce some sort of electric scoring system...

Boo

Boo Boo
-23rd August 2008, 10:23
Wow, they just reversed the Taekwondo decision against the British woman - she now goes in to the final...

...as Chubby said, would be interesting to see a reversal like that (i.e. some time after the fight has finished) in fencing.

Scarey president being set...?
Boo

pinkelephant
-23rd August 2008, 10:40
Wow, they just reversed the Taekwondo decision against the British woman - she now goes in to the final...

...as Chubby said, would be interesting to see a reversal like that (i.e. some time after the fight has finished) in fencing.

Scarey president being set...?
Boo

No need for reversals after the fight - we get reversals after the hit now.

Boo Boo
-23rd August 2008, 10:45
No need for reversals after the fight - we get reversals after the hit now.

True, if you are going to reverse, then reversing after the hit makes a lot more sense than reversing after a fight...

Boo

Keith.A.Smith
-23rd August 2008, 18:23
Dear All,

As one of to the FIE Refereeing Delegates I reversed several decisions in Beijing in all the weapons.

The video replay is a real bonus to our sport and if there are apeals after the fight the video can be watched later too.

Keith

Neil Brown
-23rd August 2008, 18:57
Check out Billy Joe Saunders' quote from last week.

Saunders, while not disputing the overall decision, complained about the methodology of getting there. "The scoring here is so bad for an Olympic Games it is unbelievable. I should have scored six or seven [more] points with body shots. You might as well do fencing if they are going to do that."

Swords Crossed
-23rd August 2008, 22:51
Perhaps someone should drop her a line and bring her up to date?

Red
-25th August 2008, 11:33
As the WST demonstrated, the system still isn't perfect. Hopefully there will be some representation of sound soon.

Hungry Hippo
-27th August 2008, 08:51
Perhaps someone should drop her a line and bring her up to date?

Sorry, SC, Billy Joe Saunders is a male boxer, and a rather large one at that! And despite the US deep-south name, he's all-British, which could be why he was sent home in disgrace!