PDA

View Full Version : Silly question...

Swords Crossed
-28th August 2008, 16:19
Some people might think this a bit of a silly question, but it's been niggling ever since I started paying attention to the fencing world.

Has there ever been such a thing as a FIE B-Grade competition, under that or any other name?

Mightily trivial, I know, but for me it's one of those little details that is a bit like biscuit crumbs in your pyjamas!

Baldric
-28th August 2008, 17:18
Has there ever been such a thing as a FIE B-Grade competition, under that or any other name?

Isn't a satellite comp really a B grade?

Swords Crossed
-28th August 2008, 17:24
aah, now that would make sense. thank you.

Rdb811
-29th August 2008, 00:31
The Satelite A-Grades are jsu t that and not B-Grades. There may have been B-Grades many years ago (or it was just AFA parlance).

Sabreur In Training
-18th September 2008, 16:07
There did use to be B-Grades. /they even had their own points criteria whereby in order to get points you had to win one DE and finish in the top 50%.
Don't know the entry requirements but I believe they were less restrictive than A-Grades.

rory
-19th September 2008, 08:24
Ummmm, no.

What used to be described in sshorthand form as 'B Grades' were actually just strong foreign competitions that our selectors had designated as good places to go.

AFAIK there were no selection criteria, you could and can just go, fence, and win points if you're good enough.

This now requires, that you make the last 64 and that doing so puts you in the top 75% of competitors.

If you go to Kremlin or somewhere and do that... you thoroughly deserve the points, put it that way.

Swords Crossed
-19th September 2008, 12:20
Thank you all. It's nice when someone has the answers to those niggling little questions.