PDA

View Full Version : The Merlin League Challenge cup..

Urban Spaceman
-17th November 2003, 12:38
It's listed on the BFA competitions page for the 17th January. Looks like a Leeds address which would be good for me. Does anyone know anything about it? I'm looking to dip my toe into my first competition about then so I'm thinking of giving it a go.

Thoughts ?

kingkenny
-17th November 2003, 13:01
No but if you look at there website you could find his contact address.
go to google type merlin fencing equipment.

(But the website is no where near as good as my one. :grin: )

aao
-17th November 2003, 13:19
It tends to be a fairly small comp (around 30 people per weapon) and relatively weak which makes it quite a good competition to start with. Its run by a guy called Ymit Sina (provided it hasn;t changed recently) and unfortunately tends not to be run that well (the last time I did one of his comps it went on waaay too long) but don't let that put you off, if its local just go and give it a go.

Robert
-17th November 2003, 18:51
Originally posted by aao
It tends to be a fairly small comp (around 30 people per weapon) and relatively weak which makes it quite a good competition to start with. Its run by a guy called Ymit Sina (provided it hasn;t changed recently) and unfortunately tends not to be run that well (the last time I did one of his comps it went on waaay too long) but don't let that put you off, if its local just go and give it a go.

I'm going to be a little more negative than aao. Ymit Sina runs about six competitions, and I have never heard a good word said about any of them, nor have the two I attended been worthwhile.

The address is Leeds, but the competition will be held in York (probably Archbishop Holgate school). I would be surprised if the numbers were as high as 30 (York Open was 14, and the last one I was at in September had 7).

Much better if you want to dip your toes would be Merseyside, or Nottingham. Or at about that time I have heard good things about the Cambridge Winter Tournament.

Robert

Eddie
-19th November 2003, 22:03
the merlin league summer pokal had about 5 for the foil and about seven for the epee 30 is optimistic. and it will be held in york as previously mentioned.

minx
-9th December 2003, 11:09
How old do you have to be to enter? That it doesn't have many people could be a huge advantage, it would be my first competition so it would be great to some last of 10 instead of last of 200

gladiator
-9th December 2003, 12:02
Maybe, but you wouldn't really get a feel for what a real competition is like or likely find anyone there who can really fence well enough for you to learn and improve from the experience.

In this case, bigger might be better.

minx
-9th December 2003, 14:02
But it would be a good confidence booster, imagine not coming last in my first competition, it'd be great. Besides I would drag along some of the people from my schools club

Robert
-9th December 2003, 14:37
Originally posted by minx
But it would be a good confidence booster, imagine not coming last in my first competition, it'd be great. Besides I would drag along some of the people from my schools club

There are some good competitions of the sort of standard you seem to want. Amongst those I have been to BAF Birmingham and Bay Open are not for points (like York) but still have a good atmosphere. Nottingham does not have a high standard, is coming up soon, and will give you a good feel for what a low-level open is like. It is also very unlikely you will come last at any open of this standard. I'm pretty bad and I didn't come last even when I went to Colchester.

Robert

P.S I haven't been but the Cambridge Winter might also be suitable with the advantage you can do Epee and Foil (as long as you don't make the last-8 Epee) so you will get loads of fights in the day.

Muso440
-9th December 2003, 19:41
Just out of interest, where does Ymit Sina (or his family) come from?

It's just such a fascinatingly unusual name, I'm dying to know.

Mantis
-9th December 2003, 22:07
Originally posted by Muso440
Just out of interest, where does Ymit Sina (or his family) come from?

It's just such a fascinatingly unusual name, I'm dying to know.

I think he is Hungarian, but I am not 100% sure.