PDA

View Full Version : Average membership price?

Bayston
-4th September 2008, 19:37
With the new university year clubs will be charging new membership fee's. I was just wondering what different fencing clubs are charging? I'm just very curious what the average cost is and how it varies depending where you are in the country. Also do you go cheap to get alot of members or expensive and get less. Here in Aberystwyth we are looking at just the one payment 10-15 for the year. What about other clubs:confused:

Kepster
-4th September 2008, 20:34
How on earth do you break even with 10-15 membership!?

Not sure about 08-09 since I've finally left Lancaster, but last year was 35 for the year

Nick_C
-4th September 2008, 20:58
When I was a member at Cardiff, it was 10. When i was a member at Loughborough, it was 52 ( dont ask why the two lol)! Slight anomaly? I presume most other clubs are between these two figures.

Rob.Leicester
-4th September 2008, 21:04
We normally charge anywhere between 20-29, ideally anything below 30 really.

Red
-4th September 2008, 21:08
Some places (like Leicester) are funded quite nicely by their AU. Others (like Oxford) have to rely heavily on their members subs as their AU gives them very little.
Similarly, well funded clubs have a one-off membership fee that covers everything whereas others have to pay a fee every time they fence.

With that in mind, Leicester will be somewhere in the twenties with no session fee. There may even be a free t-shirt in it.... (apologies for the vague answer, I don't know the exact plan yet)

Rob.Leicester
-4th September 2008, 21:50
With that in mind, Leicester will be somewhere in the twenties with no session fee. There may even be a free t-shirt in it.... (apologies for the vague answer, I don't know the exact plan yet)

I do ;)

TLove
-5th September 2008, 11:13
We charge, 20pa plus 2 per session. Not bad for a central London club.

Bayston
-5th September 2008, 16:00
How on earth do you break even with 10-15 membership!?

Not sure about 08-09 since I've finally left Lancaster, but last year was 35 for the year

In previous years it has been 8! It is to do with the large numbers we attract. Because we get so many members we can get away with it!

hayleyjade
-5th September 2008, 17:22
last yr at leeds:

Beginners, 25
Advanced 40

this year, tbc...

MakeTradeFair
-6th September 2008, 11:16
At University of Dundee I believe you had to fork out about 100 between the club and sports centre to attend the club sessions (and no ... this did not include gym, or courts outside of the training times or anything like that).

scottishsabreur
-6th September 2008, 17:00
My uni club doesn't charge a membership. Our fees work out as 35 per year for Sports Union Membership (any member of any uni sports club has to pay this), and then the nightly fee changes depending on what the committee decide is reasonable. I think last year we were charged 1 per session, which was just to cover the entry fee to the sports centre, if you were a gym member (65 per year) then it was free... to be honest, I would charge more than that as the club pretty much made no money...but it's up to the committee to decide what's best for the club. Fortunately, we were well supported by the sports union this year but clubs need to be self-sufficient. We were only really able to get away with this as both our coaches work for free.

Bambi
-8th September 2008, 15:13
When i started at Aberdeen many moons ago a years fencing cost you 12!! I think we were the cheapest club in the land!! After i took control put that up to 30 a year or 20 a term.

Worked out fine and we made loads of money!!!

pigeonmeister
-8th September 2008, 17:00
About 70 quid, I think. We get 65 direct to the club..AU gets the rest.

mozzar
-8th September 2008, 19:03
How many people tend to sign up (and pay) for fencing in each uni? I know a shed load normally paid when i was in uni but the numbers quickly fell off.

Red
-8th September 2008, 20:36
Fifty freshers seems a nice number to expect.

gbm
-8th September 2008, 22:11
Cardiff Uni:

20 for the club per year (assuming we don't change it), 5 to the AU.
We get about 100 people pay up every year.
The AU gives us about 1000 per kit, and hopefully either half or all the cost of hiring our coach for 44 x 2 hours sessions (we will have to wait for the budget request).
We spend all the money very easily, although we are not too badly funded it is difficult to buy any 'big' stuff like a new box (we have two sets) when it takes nearly 50% of the year's money.
We do now (hopefully!) have about 30 sets of kit to train up the massive influx of freshers.

Pendy
-20th September 2008, 17:08
At University of Dundee I believe you had to fork out about 100 between the club and sports centre to attend the club sessions (and no ... this did not include gym, or courts outside of the training times or anything like that).

that is unfortuntely correct (close enough anyway), so we lowered our membership in response to that. It's out of our control due to the gym/training facilities being not part of the university....sucks.

Captchris
-20th September 2008, 18:05
Dont forget that a university fencing club is a bit like running a business without too much hassle with tax laws etc.

Most university clubs need to 'balance the books'. I know that back in 2002/2003 our then Captain suggested a four-year plan to replace some of the kit, obtain new stuff and get plastrons ready for the 2006 FIE ruling (800N when fencing electrics).

This mean we had to look at income and outgoings. We were lucky in the fact that the club received a certain amount as part of a grant from the AU. This usually covered coaching, travel to comps, competition/county subscriptions, BUSA etc.

Our outgoings usually consisted of kit, coaches fees, travel etc. Obviously we didnt get EVERYTHING we wanted in the grant so we had to use other money.

One year we were lucky enough to have 96 fencers pay their fees. If I remember correctly the first 25 people got to pay 15.00 whilst everybody else had to pay 20.00. The committee were usually the first to pay! Also that year we had nearly 2000.00 from these fees. Lets just say we were able to do a lot with that as well as ensure we had 1500.00 in the bank (in case of emergencies like buying a 10 person starter set).

So just keep in mind several things when charging - make it affordable for the fencers you have. {BTW our AU charged to use their gyms etc, think it was about 45.00.}

Pikkukala
-30th September 2008, 16:37
Wow, so much for our university being so proud in telling all of us that they offer us good value.

With the price rise this year our members now pay 80 to join the university sports centre (which does include access to the gym and fitness classes) then 30 to the SU. That's 110 paid to "join" out of which the club gets 6.

From the SU we get transport to BUSA competitions only, and two nights coaching per week, and have the option of bidding for money to buy new kit with - however we have found in the past (with the exception of last year) that we tend to lose out in the bidding process.

Emagdnim
-24th October 2008, 17:16
At my University (in the US) its $40 a semester so about 25 quid.

We're barely keeping our heads above on that how can you guys charge so little?

Red
-24th October 2008, 20:48
At my University (in the US) its $40 a semester so about 25 quid.

We're barely keeping our heads above on that how can you guys charge so little?

Members' subs typically aren't the only income stream. Support from AUs varies from substantial to little, but most clubs will attempt to break even.