PDA

View Full Version : Storage/Halls of Residence

Shieldmaiden
-12th September 2008, 21:18
Hi everyone,

I was a member of a certain University for four years and am going back to do a masters, however, they have now introduced a rule prohibiting the storage of fencing equipment in halls of residence due to concerns for the safety of other students. Yet, it does not ban the storage of baseball bats or hockey sticks or kitchen knives.

I would be interested in people's views on this matter and whether their university has the same/similar rule

Thanks

Asprin
-12th September 2008, 21:44
My uni's flats didn't care and where I live now (a unite building) as long as stuff is not blocking the fire exits it can be anywhere with in the flat.

Are you sure its not because of the bags size and people tripping over it?

gbm
-12th September 2008, 21:51
I would suggest complaining, and if unsuccessful then emailing British Fencing.

Bayston
-12th September 2008, 23:22
I agree with GBM, complain!! Technically it is sporting equipment, its like banning football boots. There were similar rules in my first year when I was in halls, what they dont know cant hurt them! ;)

Red
-12th September 2008, 23:29
If they ban your fencing equipment, then surely they should ban all kinds of kitchen utensil, swiss army knives, corkscrews, glass bottles, spiked footwear (cricket, running etc), football/rugby boots, all geology toys (seem to remember that they need hammers and such), cricket/baseball kit, all modelling gear (a craft knife can give you a nasty cut) and paper (paper cuts are evil!).

On a more serious note, take it along anyway. As long as you don't shout out from the rooftops that you have 'swords' in your room you shouldn't have a problem.

gbm
-12th September 2008, 23:33
Most likely they are simply confused as to what 'fencing equipment' really entails, and while they may not listen to you as a 'mere' student, I would have thought they would at least listen to the BFA, and hopefully simply acknowledge their error (or not) and change the rules.

Red
-12th September 2008, 23:40
On the other hand you are a masters student so are more likely to listen to you than a smelly fresher...

Swords Crossed
-12th September 2008, 23:44
As long as you don't shout out from the rooftops that you have 'swords' in your room you shouldn't have a problem.

Don't even mention the word 'swords' in your complaint - people seem to have a terrible paranoia about that word. My Uni had a similar rule about 'weapons' in rooms. Fencing kit should be defined as sports equipment, though, especially if you point out the blunted tips/edges, and buttons.

D'Artignan
-12th September 2008, 23:57
Just don't tell them. They won't know you have the kit unless you get stupidly drunk and start waving it around in the corridors or something equally as daft.

rugmike
-13th September 2008, 09:20
Just don't tell them. They won't know you have the kit unless you get stupidly drunk and start waving it around in the corridors or something equally as daft.

Surely none of that sort of behaviour happens in Universities, does it ?

Bayston
-13th September 2008, 12:19
Surely none of that sort of behaviour happens in Universities, does it ?

Me and my mates got drunk one time and decided to play baseball using a sabre and an onion in his kitchen! It was good fun but very messy by the end! :P Oh I wish I was a Fresher again and could get away with that sort of thing again!

cesh_fencing
-13th September 2008, 16:28
they have now introduced a rule prohibiting the storage of fencing equipment in halls of residence due to concerns for the safety of other students.

Maybe they have stood outside the door of a fencer and have concern for the long term health of the rest of the residence from the noxious odor that was wafting through the house?

Captchris
-14th September 2008, 12:01
As long as you keep your kit in your room there should be no problems. It sounds like they're anxious people would muck about with it etc. Plus if you talk about a 'licence from the governing body' but not mention much else they may accept that as a 'general licence'. I've used a similar excuse before when my friends (non-fencing) at uni wanted to 'have a go' with my swords etc.; "Sorry guys, you cant have a go. It would breach my licence conditions."

madfencer
-14th September 2008, 18:25
I told my uni when I applied for accomodation that I'm a fencer so have a large bag and also have asthma, so ground floor accomodation might be better. They ended up offering me a larger room (nearly double the standard size) on the ground floor....naturally I accepted. It can work both ways.

They are probably paranoid about 'dangerous swords' and don't know how safe fencing equipment really is. Try and reassure them. If they still don't like it, go to your student's union. They are your representative body after all and are there to help. The accomodation should allow sports equipment. - if they don't they are discriminating against fencers if they let other (probably more) dangerous sports equipment in their halls.

Asprin
-14th September 2008, 19:50
Have you tried asking where you are supposed to keep your kit?

Aramis
-15th September 2008, 17:21
Just don't tell 'em. Let's put it this way they're clearly quite ignorant of the sport, so if you keep it in the cupboard or if you have your bag closed in the corner no-one's gonna know what it is. They aren't exactly gonna come round checking to see if you have fencing kit hiding in your room! If someone does ask as you take it out to the club you can always say you like playing golf late at night. And if that fails and they check, just ask the politically correct, buzzword-spouting moron who complains just when was the last time in the last century that a student was injured by another's fencing kit?!

Shieldmaiden
-15th September 2008, 19:19
Thanks for all the comments, obviously I would not be broadcasting the fact I have fencing kit. I was looking at the wider implications and how unfair and discriminatory the rule is, I mean how is a University that competes in BUSA (or BUCA as it is now) going to attract people who have been fencing for years if they tell them they cannot bring their fencing kit.

Their suggestion for storage is the Big yellow storage company which charges for storage space and is a good 5 miles from the University.

As far as I am aware there have been no instances at this particular uni nor any other that has resulted in injury to students, other than being hit really hard with an epee, whipped with a foil and wacked with sabre on the piste, not to mention the ankle injuries lol.