PDA

View Full Version : Groin protection

chazz
-28th April 2003, 13:45
Hello all...
This would be my first post to this forum... new user here... nice to meet you all.

I've started fencing epee after a few years break from fencing (I used to do sabre). After a few close calls, I've decided to invest in a cup, lest I not be able to have children some day.
So after a brief internet search, I have found so many varieties--there are those made just for baseball, or hockey, or various martial arts. . .
Of course, there are also the FIE 800N undershorts (or were they 1600N?), but I'm not about to spend $90 on underwear.

Guys, any recommendations on varieties? Anyone try those FIE undershorts? Worth the money?

Chazz

Hudson
-28th April 2003, 13:57
i tried a few but couldn't find one that was comfy. i've just become very good at defending that area of my person.

Jambo
-29th April 2003, 11:47
Parrys work so much better with a bit of motivation behind them:grin:, although I've had a few uncomfortable moments when I've parried downwards...

chazz
-29th April 2003, 13:17
In case anyone else was following this thread, I was advised last night at club that cups sold at paintball stores will work the best, though I have yet to test this theory myself. (Many of those other styles have ventilation holes that are just a little bit bigger than an epee tip--ouch!)

-C.

reposte
-7th May 2003, 13:45
I know several died in fencing matches, I wonder if there were any castrations... (seriously, has anyone heard of..?)

aao
-7th May 2003, 15:39
well a while ago the sword ran an article on the worse fencing injuries and I believe somebody wearing a box got a nasty surprise when the he got hit and the box split and flexed inwards before resuming its normal shape with the his tadger caught between the plastic! :eek: :dizzy: :upset:

bufc99
-7th May 2003, 16:17
as a bloke, jsut hearing that makes me clutch my groin and think oooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccc ccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

reposte
-7th May 2003, 16:45
the hebrew word for Epee means raughly "a poker"...
I guess now he's a pokerless pokerist....

Aoife
-7th May 2003, 18:47
I'm a woman, and that still makes me feel a lot of pain!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I remember hearing somewhere (I think it was on Fencing101 ages ago, but I can't find the thread at the moment) about a woman who had a nasty injury when a sword (can't remember which weapon... something tells me foil, but I might be wrong) penitrated the fabric of her breeches and went 'in'.

That mental image has always managed to make me cringe.

Hudson
-7th May 2003, 18:55
To both OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The mental image is one that makes me shudder to my core. again OUCH
Time to invest in a suit of armour me's thinks

chazz
-7th May 2003, 19:43
So, now that everyone is going to run out and buy full body armor before they step onto the strip again, I may as well give you an update as to my purchase. I wound up getting the Adidas male groin protector from KarateDepot.com (http://www.karatedepot.com/pr-gr-04.html) . It took a little getting used to, but seems to work just fine. Cheap shipping on the aforementioned site, too (for the continental U.S.).

I'm a happy (and protected) camper now. :)

C.

oiuyt
-8th May 2003, 00:52
Bah. They're not required and they cut down on mobility. Yeah, I don't really want to face the consequences if I get unlucky some day, but after 3 years of wearing protection and 5 years of not I have yet to be hit there. I'd rather be a better (more mobile) fencer.

Long live sport.

Incidently, the FIE undershorts will protect against penetration but should do virtually nothing against impact damage.

-B :)

Mantis
-8th May 2003, 11:27
Originally posted by oiuyt
Bah. They're not required and they cut down on mobility. Yeah, I don't really want to face the consequences if I get unlucky some day, but after 3 years of wearing protection and 5 years of not I have yet to be hit there. I'd rather be a better (more mobile) fencer.

Long live sport.

Incidently, the FIE undershorts will protect against penetration but should do virtually nothing against impact damage.

I wear a box (or cup, if you speak American) and I find no problems, but then I am an epeeist (Mobility? What's that?)

Obvious point, but you don't want one with ventilation. A lot of 5mm holes might be OK for cricket, baseball, etc, but ... :o

Bye,

Joe

oiuyt
-8th May 2003, 16:52
The Society for Creative Anachronism ("period" fencing w/"rapiers" etc.) requires groin protection and in the common case of cups w/holes, requires the the holes be covered, generally done by taping a penny over each one.

Aoife
-8th May 2003, 19:23
Okay, being a woman and not up to scratch on these sort of things, I've got a question.

I've always wondered (well, not always, but for some time) is there a difference between cups and jockstraps? If so, what?

And I'm interested how a cup would effect mobility.

And is that 'area' on target in foil?

Mantis
-8th May 2003, 21:28
Originally posted by Aoife
Okay, being a woman and not up to scratch on these sort of things, I've got a question.

I've always wondered (well, not always, but for some time) is there a difference between cups and jockstraps? If so, what?

A cup is something I drink coffee out of.

A box is hard and provides protection while a jockstrap is just a support. Probably the same difference as between chest protectors and a sports bra.

And I'm interested how a cup would effect mobility.

I don't find that it does. After all, cricketers run 22 yards several times over wearing one.

And is that 'area' on target in foil?

Yes, although it is more an issue with epee than with foil, because a foil is lighter and more flexible, you wear an extra layer and you are not (normally) going to attack to leg.

Does that answer your questions?

Bye,

Joe

lindsay watkiss
-8th May 2003, 22:47
:eek:

HaHa Missed both my legs!!
:cool:

DrT
-9th May 2003, 12:27
I've recently started using a box while fencing both epee and foil. I'm not sure what the make is, but I got it from Blades. It's solid plastic with padding around the outside. I don't find it restricts movement (of my legs) at all.

I don't see the point of protecting things like your heart, lungs and stomach while leaving a vital organ "exposed"...
:knight:

Aoife
-9th May 2003, 18:38
Well if you put breeches on it wouldn't be exposed :tongue:

Thanks for the info Mantis. (there are some things I just wonder about :) )

stevejackson
-9th May 2003, 18:58
Ladies and Gentlemen, Quoting the rule book again (sad person that I am)
Annex A Manufacturers safety standards for fencers weapons equipment and clothing

section 3.2 Parts of the fencer that it is vital to protect states

"Protection included in the trousers must cover the abdomen, the two inguinal regions, and the gential organs (by means of a protective cup)"

This implies a box (cup) is essential for both men and women - where there are sex based rule changes these are expicitly indicated for example in rule M25 "Ladies equipment must, furthermore, include breast protectors"

OK, which referee is brave enough to ask the ladies if they are wearing a box?

aao
-9th May 2003, 19:17
worringly I think I know some who would actually check!

Aoife
-9th May 2003, 19:32
lmao... darn, should I add that to my list of needed equiptment??? :grin:

Okay, and once more my knowledge of English fails me... inguinal? I always though that was the groinal region. So why is there apparently two of them?

(Latin inguin means 'groin', so I've always assumed inguinal to mean 'of or near the groin'... or am I being dreadful with my Latin again? Esther?)

stevejackson
-9th May 2003, 21:59
lmao... darn, should I add that to my list of needed equiptment??? :grin:

Okay, and once more my knowledge of English fails me... inguinal? I always though that was the groinal region. So why is there apparently two of them?

(Latin inguin means 'groin', so I've always assumed inguinal to mean 'of or near the groin'... or am I being dreadful with my Latin again? Esther?)

Quite right inguinal according to my dictionary is groin - also definition of groin is depression between belly and thigh- hence 2 thighs 2 depressions and thus 2 groins. Don't blame me for this one - I only fix kit not fencers. Human anatomy is someone elses problem under a design authority outside the FIE.

Further thought, footballers seem to have a lot injuries involving groin strains but can you strain a depression?

Mantis
-9th May 2003, 22:18
Originally posted by stevejackson
Ladies and Gentlemen, Quoting the rule book again (sad person that I am)

Not just me then?

Annex A Manufacturers safety standards for fencers weapons equipment and clothing

section 3.2 Parts of the fencer that it is vital to protect states

"Protection included in the trousers must cover the abdomen, the two inguinal regions, and the gential organs (by means of a protective cup)"

This implies a box (cup) is essential for both men and women - where there are sex based rule changes these are expicitly indicated for example in rule M25 "Ladies equipment must, furthermore, include breast protectors"

OK, which referee is brave enough to ask the ladies if they are wearing a box?

I'm not quite sure how to read these annexes. As far as I can make out, this article is a recommendation not a rule. I would back this up by noting that the annexe is specifically referenced in m.25 paragraph 3 with regards the upper areas of the body, but not the lower areas.

Why this 'recommendation' is not written fully into the rules may be explained by the condition that clothing provides "protection compatible with the freedom of movement necessary for fencing" and there is disagreement over whether or not freedom of movement would be restricted.

Bye,

Joe

Moose
-10th May 2003, 05:10
Many's the time when I have felt myself near gelded by a short sabruer, I can imagine the pain caused by a foil or epee, but until you have felt a full sabre stroke across the region you havent experienced true pain :)

Hudson
-10th May 2003, 10:01
Well i can say i've never had that expireance and as long as my parries stay quick i hope i never will

Moose
-10th May 2003, 14:05
Twas evil really, I was trying to teach one of our foilist the rudiments of sabre: I asked her to cut to chest and she swipes me across the pods, I felt like I was gonna be sick into my mask. :eek:

Aoife
-10th May 2003, 14:34
Oooochie! :eek:

bufc99
-10th May 2003, 16:35
oooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccc cccccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hudson
-10th May 2003, 18:56
*Crosses legs and bends over double in symapthy* OUCH

Moose
-11th May 2003, 04:05
That was the first and only time I have ever tried to give a foilist a weapon that can cause damage.

Jambo
-11th May 2003, 12:08

The inguinal region is the area across the top of your leg/bottom of your abdomen and your groin. The inguinal ligament being the main part really. Various nerves, vessels etc run along it and into the groin.
There are two inguinal ligaments, one on each side.
I could go on but I'm sure some of you are squimish!!

Aoife
-11th May 2003, 12:42
Thanks.

*mental note: get the word 'inguinal' into conversation more often*

reposte
-11th May 2003, 13:55
I think we can all safely (double meaning there) say that theoretically it's better to use protection than not to.
Whether this trade off in mobility is worth while we can only answer each man to himself (- and I do mean each man).

When reading the original post, seeking for advice on which one to use, the original thread initiator complains about underwear as only intrinsic fencing gear available.
Not true - Allstar also offer boxes.

I think that answers his question on which one is best applied to fencing.

Now we can resume the shower talk ...
:party:

Aoife
-11th May 2003, 20:33
better to use protection than not to.

Yes, one should always wear protection. ;)

Now we can resume the shower talk

Did I miss that? How? Where?

reposte
-11th May 2003, 20:44
My dear Aoife, here are some examples of shower talk, not necessarily in order of appearance:

"...i tried a few but couldn't find one that was comfy..."

"...I've recently started using a box ... I don't find it restricts movement (of my legs) at all."

"...but after 3 years of wearing protection ..."

"...Crosses legs and bends over double in sympathy..."

And your own shockingly intimate revelation:

"I'm a woman, and that still makes me feel a lot of pain"

:party: :party:

PM1
-11th May 2003, 22:32
Dearest Aiofe = couldn't help but see that no male has answered your question, so as the purse in our house and mother, let me try and let you in on a few trade secrets -;) ;) the box ( commonly used in cricket (why I bought one for my little angel) is solid, normally made of plasticish material, and shaped a bit like a pear cut in half, top to bottom:o For some reason, it is bulbous....and not attached to anything, sort of free floating. A jock strap is a bit like a thong, really.......made to hold the bits in place, rather than provide protection.

Well, it is SUnday, but sermon over....;) ;)

Ps - love to read your posts - keep on giving as good as you get, girl!!

PM1
-11th May 2003, 22:39
:o Huh - that'll teach me to cut in on a thread before I read to the end....shower talk, indeed....must put off my child protection hat when I come on line.......;) ;) :moon:

Aoife
-12th May 2003, 20:02
lol PM1, but still, you're description was wonderful to read! :)

and not attached to anything, sort of free floating.

Then how, may I ask, does it stay in place?

Reposte.... oh THAT shower talk!!! Silly me, I was thinking I'd somehow missed a talk about showering. I couldn't think how it would pass me by!!! ;)

Moose
-12th May 2003, 20:15
Then how, may I ask, does it stay in place?

Without wanting to get too detailed, it is held in place in much the same way as a hook holds a coat in place :)

<Thinks that Aoife is just trying to tease the guys :tongue:>

Aoife
-12th May 2003, 20:33
No, I'm just very curious. There are things I've always wanted to know, and this seems a good as time as any to ask :tongue:

(and that explination was detailed enough, thank you... the first question which springs to mind in response is 'but doesn't it fall out of place if you jump around?' but if nobody feels like answer, that's okay... I'll just sit and ponder the prospect for some time :) )

kbo518
-12th May 2003, 20:36
Aoife, A jockstrap usually has a pocket for a cup to slide into. As for women, there are pelvic protector that you can get. They are mandatory in women's hockey and some other sports. You can order on from Great Skate hockey store online for $19.99 American. Here's the website. www.greatskate.com. Hope this helps.
:)

Moose
-12th May 2003, 20:41
Lol, someone beat me, I must be slipping.

Don't you feel honoured that someone's first post was to tell you all about female boxes :tongue:

Aoife
-12th May 2003, 20:47
I feel very very honoured.

So let's get this straight, to wear a box, one must be wearing a jockstrap? I see. (all the pieces are starting to fit together like a jigsaw now!!!)

Moose
-12th May 2003, 20:49
I can't really comment as I have never worn either. Maybe I'll learn the error of my ways when I try to have mini sabruers :grin:

Aoife
-12th May 2003, 21:01
lol Moose.

Kbo518... I'm you're still around could you post the actually full link to those female protectors please... I can't find them :(

(and now I'm intriuged!)

Moose
-12th May 2003, 21:13
They'll be deformed, they'll be foilists..........ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

bufc99
-12th May 2003, 22:34
Just to confuse you a little more Aoife, you don't have to wear a jockstrap to wear a box, it can be worn 'free-floating' in ppls undergarments though it moves around quite a lot if u do and if ur unlucky can move enough to expose ones inguinal regions.

Thought that i had to try to fit inguinal into it somewhere for you.;)

Moose
-12th May 2003, 23:05
Methinks there was an innuendo lurking in there somewhere :)

kbo518
-13th May 2003, 02:04
There is the full link for the girls pelvic protector. http://www.greatskate.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=10&Product_ID=11566&CATID=159

Aoife
-13th May 2003, 07:46
Thanks kbo518!!! :)

No Moose, maybe a bit of hidden innuendo, but for clarity it could have to be "I had to try and fit it in for you." ;)

Moose
-13th May 2003, 08:17
Normally I hate shopping for clothing, etc, however it could be fun so it could ;)

Mantis
-13th May 2003, 08:19
(and that explination was detailed enough, thank you... the first question which springs to mind in response is 'but doesn't it fall out of place if you jump around?' but if nobody feels like answer, that's okay... I'll just sit and ponder the prospect for some time :) )

If you wear boxer shorts then, yes it would fall out of place but most other types of underwear (standard Y-fronts, for example) are OK. When I played cricket, many moons ago, I had a pair of 'box briefs' which had a pouch in the front. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this since but I'm sure they must still exist.

Bye,

Joe

Aoife
-13th May 2003, 10:19
Thanks Joe, you cleared that up nicely.

Thanks bufc99 too (if I didn't thank you earlier... I don't think I did *checks* no I didn't, sorry).

I am now starting my course to be a world renoun expert in the subject :)

pinkelephant
-13th May 2003, 10:20
What do you call a doctor of female inguinal regions? A groinacologist.:grin:

Aoife
-13th May 2003, 10:24
lmao pinkelephant!!!!:grin: :grin: :grin:

Gav
-13th May 2003, 10:33
Allstar make a pair of shorts that has a pouch in front for inserting a box (I prefer the term codpiece but there you go). I was recently browsing the Allstar.de site and came across what I can only describe as a womens bikini top for Fencing:Allstar chest protector - female (http://212.86.185.32/modules.php?op=modload&name=PostTep&file=index&action=product_info.php&cPath=90&products_id=37991)

Aoife
-13th May 2003, 10:38
Nah, it's just a small vest top. Looks intertesting actually, especially in summer when I'll be getting even hotter than normal. Hmmmn, might get one.

I prefer the term codpiece but there you go

lol, codpieces always make me think of Shakespeare though.... and what a turn-off that is when you've just spent a year studying him ;) (with the prospect of spending the rest of my life teaching him to bored children :( )

Mantis
-13th May 2003, 10:41
Well, codpiece if you like, but I thought that that was something ornamental, worn on the outside of the trousers. Hey, maybe we could set a new (or maybe 200-years-old) fashion here.

Bye,

Joe

Aoife
-13th May 2003, 10:49
lol, yes, that'd be a great fashion.... especially on women!!!!! :grin:

LiZzIe
-13th May 2003, 10:57
hi,
All those oinjuries are really scary and sound painful...if i was a guy, i wouldnt fence cos i'd rather keep my manhood! (if i was a man, tsk, lol!)

ive fenced without a chest guard before against someone vicious (my coach, i think) and ended up with nice bruises in delicate areas :(
and I have fenced against Aoife whilst she was wearing a chest guard and managed to injure her in the same delicate area...

awwww!!!

no one laugh at my fencing picture...i know i look like a grinning blonde chimp, but im not photogenic!!!

Aoife
-13th May 2003, 10:59
(in case anyone's confused, Liz is in the articles I posted. Check them out again if you want so you can laugh... there's a link around somewhere).

reposte
-13th May 2003, 11:00
Oughtn't you two be in school...?

:party:

bufc99
-13th May 2003, 12:04
lmao pinkelephant, that ones getting forwarded to evryone straightaway.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Aoife
-13th May 2003, 12:21
Oughtn't you two be in school...?

Been through this already today. We are at school. We have an awful lot of computers here :)

chazz
-13th May 2003, 13:40
Aoife, a picture (http://www.gungfu.com/cart-htm/training_gear_protective_gear_groin-guards.htm) is worth a thousand words. Hopefully this should clear things up for you. ;)

(When I started this thread, by the way, I had no idea to what leaps and bounds people would take it.)

Hudson
-13th May 2003, 16:40
A thread about groin protection could go anywhere, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING.
In a thread with as may daft, crazy, warped and just strange people it was just asking for trouble.
I'll try and find it but i read an article about certain impact sports (fencing one of them) and the relation to cancer. (sorry to put a downer on things) It was going along the lines that people who did certain sports had a higher risk of cancer if they didn't use chest/ groin/ abdomin protection, compaired to those who did. I am now the proud owner of a male chest guard for when fencing heavy hitting fencers.

Moose
-13th May 2003, 18:03
<looks at the bikini top jobbie>

So you gonna get one then Aoife? ;)

Aoife
-13th May 2003, 19:54
Aoife, a picture is worth a thousand words. Hopefully this should clear things up for you. ;)

Oh wow Chazz, that's incrediable, thank you!!! For all my looking I'd never been able to find a site like that! (my friends are going to be so worried about me when it's the first thing I visit tomorrow morning at school to show them all... they're begining to think I have some sort of box fetish :) )

<looks at the bikini top jobbie>

So you gonna get one then Aoife?

Perhaps, when I have some more money (need a job). Better than the club one anyway... only I wear it, thankfully, but there's something disconcerting about taking it off and having it drip :dizzy:

Aoife
-13th May 2003, 20:01
ive fenced without a chest guard before against someone vicious (my coach, i think) and ended up with nice bruises in delicate areas

Yeah that'd of been our coach... he's done that to me too. Were you there? The time everyone remembered not to hit my high-lines too hard... except for him? And the 50 pence sized bruise I had for two weeks? Ouchy. Not a nice experiance.

and I have fenced against Aoife whilst she was wearing a chest guard and managed to injure her in the same delicate area...

I think the pressure pussed the edge of the guard into my skin, and that's what bruised. (not that much of a delicate area, bit too high... better luck next time :) )

kbo518
-13th May 2003, 22:35
Why do you guys call it a box? a box is a nice square thing with pointy edges whereas a cup is a nice smooth curved thing. Just curious.

Mantis
-13th May 2003, 22:59
Originally posted by kbo518
Why do you guys call it a box? a box is a nice square thing with pointy edges whereas a cup is a nice smooth curved thing. Just curious.

Sorry, but there are some people in this world who are incredibly pedantic, and you have just found one (me). ;)

A box is:

A container (usually rectagular)
A rectangle on a diagram
The quantity contained in a box (container)
A private area in a theatre
A receptacle for depositing money
A small country house
A cabin for a sentry
The drivers seat in a coach
A present
Area where the pitcher stands in baseball
A blow to the head (usually to the ear)
Evergreen shrubs

(Yes, I was sad enough to look all this up, although it only took a matter of seconds.)

Why do I call it a box? Maybe because it is less of a mouthfull than inguinal protector.

Why do you call it a cup? As I have said earlier, I drink coffee out of a cup .:cheers2:

Bye,

Joe

Moose
-14th May 2003, 01:49
And you live in a box ;)

Aoife
-14th May 2003, 07:36
I think 'cup' is a more American word. Like on the Simpsons when Marge is buying one for Bart and asks the clerk "I wanna C-U-P."... before realising what she's said :)

Moose
-15th May 2003, 03:17
Well that's cos American's are notoriously silly, they call Budweiser beer ffs :grin:

Aoife
-16th May 2003, 20:08
*cough cough*

<sees discussion about groin protection is wanning, but is far to interested to let it drop, so to say>

A box is a nice square thing with pointy edges whereas a cup is a nice smooth curved thing.

I like that summing up. What would you rather have around your bits, something 'nice smooth curved' or something with 'pointy edges'? :)

Hudson
-16th May 2003, 20:10
*cough cough*

<sees discussion about groin protection is wanning, but is far to interested to let it drop, so to say>

you watch your inuendo young lady :grin:

Aoife
-16th May 2003, 20:15
lol, I signposted it more or less, so I'm glad somebody spotted it :)

Okay, so if the ones with holes in are dangerous because swords can fit in still, guys wear the ones without holes. But then there's surely no ventilation? So doesn't it get uncomfortable?

Oooh, it that what that whole 'quick re-arangement' thing guys do (often whilst fencing) is about?

Mantis
-16th May 2003, 21:46
Really, I thought we had seen the last of this. At one point half of my posts had been to this thread and I was beginning to get worried.

Okay, so if the ones with holes in are dangerous because swords can fit in still, guys wear the ones without holes. But then there's surely no ventilation? So doesn't it get uncomfortable?

No and no. Anything more?

I think the facetious and flippant discussion should move on now to a different topic. See through masks, (http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/5914/masks/masks.html) for example. Well, if we have the flippant discussion here then them over in 'General Fencing -> Sabre' can have their sensible discussion in peace.

Bye,

Joe

bufc99
-16th May 2003, 22:00
But groins, sorry Aoife inguinal regions, are much more interesting than see-through masks. I mean come on, would there really have been this many replies to a thread about masks???:rolleyes:

Moose
-17th May 2003, 06:37
Oooh, it that what that whole 'quick re-arangement' thing guys do (often whilst fencing) is about?

Do you ever have to rearrange your bra? Its a similar principle, it saves you from being gelded by your breeches :)

Mantis
-17th May 2003, 10:20
Originally posted by bufc99
But groins, sorry Aoife inguinal regions, are much more interesting than see-through masks.

Did you follow the link I put on the words 'see through masks'? Hint: it doesn't take you to the Leon Paul site. :starfight

Bye,

Joe

bufc99
-17th May 2003, 11:40
no, sorry. i assumed the link was just to the LP site or to the thread about masks in another section (can't remeber which).

Have looked at it though and that would be just plain, awkward tryin to fence in nething like that.

Hudson
-17th May 2003, 12:27
Very funny.
I take back every thing i said about having coulored fencing kit, I don't want to be a Power Ranger (Unless i'm the red one with the T-Rex)
I like the idea of coaches looking like Darth Vader though :vader:

Aoife
-17th May 2003, 12:28
But groins, sorry Aoife inguinal regions, are much more interesting than see-through masks.

How about see-through boxes? ;)

Do you ever have to rearrange your bra? Its a similar principle, it saves you from being gelded by your breeches

Yes, yes, that's the normal answer I get when I ask this (I do ask this question of just about every male I know). I guess Im just going to have to be sated with that response. *sigh*

Mantis- that link isn't working for me. :(

bufc99
-17th May 2003, 12:31
How about see-through boxes?

Yes Aoife, but see-through boxes wouldn't really work because we'd be wearing breeches and underwear.

Hudson
-17th May 2003, 12:36
How about see-through boxes? ;)

Yes, yes, that's the normal answer I get when I ask this (I do ask this question of just about every male I know). I guess Im just going to have to be sated with that response. *sigh*

Mantis- that link isn't working for me. :(

I'm surprised you haven't scarred every male you ask off. :eek:

And as for the link not working for you. Inuendo OVERLOAD

Aoife
-17th May 2003, 12:41
No, it really wouldn't load! But it has now... and it's extroadinarily funny!

Got to give that link to my coach (when I see him in TWO weeks! Argh!). He's a big Star Wars fan, so hopefully it'll tickle him somewhat.

Hudson
-17th May 2003, 12:46
Well i guess it's better than you poking him in the corridor :) :skywalk:

Moose
-17th May 2003, 14:30

Oh and there's also the fact that we like it :)

pTeppic
-17th May 2003, 16:16
Humm so far (from reading several threads) I have noticed one particular detail:

1) See thru (masks in this case) increases the popularity for viewers of our sport.

Therefore, may I take the idea of a see-thru mask and box a few stages further and promote my new line:

SEE THRU UNIFORMS
All provided in 800N invisiTEX, this ultra-lightweight *highly visible* uniform, 100% FIE compliant is only availible to you through mail order^. This new line is sure to get you noticed at national and international level alike. Watch as your fellow fencers stand in awe (level of awe may depend upon your personal circumstances) while you flaunt the technological advances of this new uniform only availible from invisiTEX.

Also availible - 1600N invisiTEX see thru mask. LP may have brought you the Vison 2000, Allstar may have brought out a full see-thru face mask, but invisiTEX are now able to offer you virtually non-existant to the naked eye masks.

Whole uniform availible with mask for
1,000,000 (ex VAT, P&P and customs charge - double to cover it)

^Will be provided in see-thru packaging with see-thru address label with see-thru printing.

Hudson
-17th May 2003, 16:34
I want some. How do i order and would they accept bankers draft from my bank. HSBC (Holidays Subsidised By Customers) the bank that likes to say "NAFF OFF"

Moose
-17th May 2003, 16:53
Would this be the Emperor's New Fencing Kit?

pTeppic
-17th May 2003, 17:10
Although the emporer did have imput into this new line, I assure you that the patterns we used are entirely our own and IN NO WAY DID WE BREAK INTO THE LP SECRET RESEARCH LABS AND NICK THE IDEA.

Ahem, sorry - did I say that out loud?

On the point of payment, at this price so long as its not in peanuts (the market is fluctuating rapidly at the moement).

Preferably Altarian Dollars.

Moose
-17th May 2003, 17:13
Maybe I should get some, the sight of me on the piste in see through gear would make my opponent run away as fast as he could :)

Mantis
-17th May 2003, 17:48
No, it really wouldn't load! But it has now... and it's extroadinarily funny!

Maybe it was the sudden surge of traffic from all the thousands of people who had read my message. Or, erm, maybe not.

Not too sure about the see through kit that someone has suggested, but maybe if coloured clothing takes off a bit more we could start having superhero outfits. Would I be allowed, for example, to turn up on the piste dressed as Spiderman?

Bye,

Joe

bufc99
-17th May 2003, 18:52
Surely we should leave that particular outfit for Laurence.

Aoife
-17th May 2003, 19:37
See through uniforms with, of course, my see-through box idea :)

Hudson
-17th May 2003, 19:41
Maybe you should sue them for stealing your idea, I'll back you up.

bufc99
-17th May 2003, 19:41
I think I'd be in the sme boat as Moose if we did, I'd scare away my opponent before we even fought. Could be funny though.

pTeppic
-17th May 2003, 19:52
Regard with the see through box...

But of course, and it would have to be an "optional extra" with "optional extra" price tag attached.

BTW invisTEX industries is currently developing a new range of fencing footwear, keep watching this post...

What's worrying is at this rate I could design a webpage based around this...

Kian

Hudson
-17th May 2003, 19:56
you wouldn't be able to post a like though, you'd be moderated :grin:

Aoife
-17th May 2003, 20:09
That'd be good to see! :)

Kian, you could be on to a winner here! (boy, I want stocks in this! :rolling: )

Hudson
-17th May 2003, 20:11
after your recent performance on celbdaq he'd go bust :grin:

Aoife
-17th May 2003, 20:39
Yeah yeah, I picked rubbish celebrities.

But see-through ANYTHING... where can it go wrong!!!

Mantis
-17th May 2003, 20:44
But see-through ANYTHING... where can it go wrong!!!

I wear glasses - never used non-see through ones and I can honestly say it has been of great benefit to my fencing.

OK, so Spiderman is taken. Anyone know of a superhero called the Mantis?

Bye,

Joe

Moose
-18th May 2003, 05:26
Yeah But see-through ANYTHING... where can it go wrong!!!

Do you want to see most sabruers in see through clothing?

However if see through "Breeches Friendly Underwear" is involved im game :grin:

pTeppic
-19th May 2003, 16:44
I am pleased to inform you that the invisiTEX website is currently under development, demonstrating our complete product range, with on-line ordering service availible (preferably using our invisiTEX see-thru credit card with see-thru printing and see-thru stripe) and will be relased onto the general public in due course.

Just gimme a chance guys, I have exams to sort out as well.

Yours as always

Kian Ryan (Director of invisiTEX)

Rdb811
-19th May 2003, 23:36
I was going to point out something sensible but I suspect this thread has degenerated - given a choice between being kebabed and a lack of mobility, I know what I'd take - it only has to happen once.

Slazenger, who make the standard cricket boxes changed the style a few years ago to a slimmer one that is easier to move with (but the special undies to hold them cost more - and the two sizes aren't compatible). The new ones have a better, ahem, profile.

ceprab
-20th May 2003, 13:32
Well seeing as someone has returned to the original point....

I've been hit 3 times down below, all with epee. The first two were surprisingly unworrying, the third was at close quarters and delivered a bit more powerfully. My question is, if you can get a minute's break for cramp, how long do you get if you need to clutch the inguinal region and go :eek::upset:nnnnnnnggggggghhhhhh:dizzy: following a hit? It can take at least up to 15 minutes based on experience until one can finish the fight:mad:, and one walks funny for about as long again (you can't tell that on a piste though as fencing is partly about a funny walk).

btw, everything still seems to work.;)

I have no grudges against those who hit me. If I was scared of these hits I would do sabre.

Moose
-20th May 2003, 14:55
I've found myself hit there more times at sabre than I ever was at foil, damn short arsed sabruers :grin:

Mantis
-20th May 2003, 15:02
Originally posted by Moose
I've found myself hit there more times at sabre than I ever was at foil, damn short arsed sabruers :grin:

Ha-ha! Off target! My point! Now :o just :o give :o me :o a :o couple :o of :o minutes :o to :o recover.

Bye,

Joe

Moose
-20th May 2003, 15:12
Very often they get the point cos it started as a throughcut that went too low :eek:

pinkelephant
-20th May 2003, 16:08
My question is, if you can get a minute's break for cramp, how long do you get if you need to clutch the inguinal region and go nnnnnnnggggggghhhhhh following a hit? It can take at least up to 15 minutes based on experience until one can finish the fight, and one walks funny for about as long again (you can't tell that on a piste though as fencing is partly about a funny walk). [/B]

The simple answer is ten minutes as it's the result of an "accident". You don't get any time at all for cramp, as it isn't an accident.:eek:[B]

Mantis
-20th May 2003, 16:17
Originally posted by ceprab
(you can't tell that on a piste though as fencing is partly about a funny walk).

Hey, I wonder if we could get funding for fencing from the Ministry of Silly Walks.

Bye,

Joe

Moose
-20th May 2003, 16:20
I don't think they'd find our walk silly enough, only sabreurs would qualify because of the flunge :)

foilerist
-22nd May 2003, 22:19
the difference between a jock strap and a box(i'm english) is that a strap is just made of thin material which holds everything snugly in one place while a box is firm plastic which offers more protection against impact. the box can restrict mobility by pushing into the inner thigh when fleching etc. i would imagine it would be similar to the difference between a sports bra and brest protectors. although i can't comment from personal experience.

Moose
-23rd May 2003, 00:50
<Goes to find a sports bra to try on>

Aoife
-24th May 2003, 14:15
<Goes to find a sports bra to try on>

Again eh Moose? ;)

I'm not keen on sports bras pesonally... I can see their usefullness, but I still prefer a normal bra (then again, I wear one of those full chest guards, so it doesn't matter too much).

Moose
-24th May 2003, 21:24
<waits for the next lot of drunk photos :)>

Aoife
-25th May 2003, 17:32
Young man! Behave! ;)

Moose
-26th May 2003, 14:16
Me? Behave? With MY reputation? ;)

Hudson
-26th May 2003, 15:22
i'm sure you've used that line in another thread?????:tongue:

Moose
-26th May 2003, 15:23
I ALWAYS use that line, cos I'm so sweet and innocent ;)

Hudson
-26th May 2003, 15:27
i'm surprised you know what they mean :tongue:

Moose
-26th May 2003, 15:32
But I AM sweet and innocent. :confused:

Hudson
-26th May 2003, 15:35
we would belive you but we know what you've posted on the other threads :tongue: :grin:

Moose
-26th May 2003, 15:37
Its a fair cop

Hudson
-26th May 2003, 15:39
yep you've been busted.
we'll have to set inuendo girl to you.
or then again maybe with your reputation that would be a bad idea:grin:

Moose
-26th May 2003, 15:41
Mmmmmmmmmmm that sounds like a plan to me :grin:

Hudson
-26th May 2003, 15:42
join the que ;)

Moose
-26th May 2003, 15:45
I'll just queuejump :)

Hudson
-26th May 2003, 15:46
no you won't i have a gun and i know how to use it.

<which end do the bullets go in again??????:confused: >

Moose
-26th May 2003, 15:49
LOL, put em in the bottom bit, then aim the bit with the hole at your head and pull the trigger :grin:

Hudson
-26th May 2003, 15:50
ahh. wnat to show me how it's done??:grin:

Moose
-26th May 2003, 15:51
Only if you demonstrate the ancient japanese art of Hari Kari first :)

Hudson
-26th May 2003, 15:53
what the aincent art of bad aftershave?

Moose
-26th May 2003, 15:53
I think you have that one perfected already

Hudson
-26th May 2003, 15:56
well i'm trying to be modest :tongue:

Moose
-26th May 2003, 15:57
You modest? And I'm the Queen of Sheba

Hudson
-26th May 2003, 15:59
pleased to meet you your majesty <bows>

Moose
-26th May 2003, 16:21
Maybe I'd rather be the Queen of Hearts...Off with their heads!

Hudson
-26th May 2003, 17:25
croquet with flamongo's :grin:

Moose
-26th May 2003, 18:22
Mwahahahah, cook the white rabbit :)

Aoife
-27th May 2003, 19:01
Now, now. I don't think that's on topic boys. Shouldn't we be discussing groins here? :tongue:

Hudson
-27th May 2003, 19:09
haha revenge lets drag Aofies thread off topic hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe (contine adding your own till bored or totaly mad)

Aoife
-27th May 2003, 19:47
Meany!

I think this perfectly sane discussion on groin protection is very educational.

Hudson
-27th May 2003, 19:49
well you do it to evertone else.

Moose
-27th May 2003, 19:52
And this thread isnt entirely educational, its just you trying to perve, we know what you're like with groins and thighs ;)

Hudson
-27th May 2003, 19:55
she's got a one track mind

Moose
-27th May 2003, 20:00
Nah, she thinks about alcohol too :grin:

Hudson
-27th May 2003, 20:02
good point, and fencing when she has a few free mins.

Moose
-27th May 2003, 20:07
Oh and writing too :)

Hudson
-27th May 2003, 20:08
so apart from groins, drinking, fencing and writting. What dose Aofie actuly do??

Moose
-27th May 2003, 20:11
Posts on here?

Hudson
-27th May 2003, 20:13
"so apart from groins, drinking, fencing and writting. "
"and posts on here"
"and posts on here thank you moose"
"What dose Aofie actuly do?"

Mantis
-27th May 2003, 20:13
Coming to a cinema near you; "Groin Protection" - the thread that wouldn't die!

How many times have you revived this thread, Aoife? ;)

Bye,

Joe

Moose
-27th May 2003, 20:16
This thread will never die so long as there is life in our groins! :grin:

Aoife
-27th May 2003, 21:16
And this thread isnt entirely educational, its just you trying to perve

Dang, you've figured me out! :grin:

"so apart from groins, drinking, fencing and writting. "
"and posts on here"
"and posts on here thank you moose"
"What dose Aofie actuly do?"

Urm... I stalk teachers a lot.

Moose
-27th May 2003, 21:32
Lol, could think of some other things, but I dont want to risk Aoife's wrath :grin:

Mantis
-27th May 2003, 22:07
Urm... I stalk teachers a lot.

And then you wonder why you get banned from a BBC chat line for "masquerading" as a school girl. (cf another thread, I forget which)

Bye,

Joe

Moose
-27th May 2003, 23:14
Lol, she'll be stalking fencers next.

Mantis
-27th May 2003, 23:18
Yes, I'll bet she is one of those girls who goes round begging blokes to referee her bouts for her. (Let's see how many other thread we can cross-reference)

Hudson
-28th May 2003, 09:31
and getting people to fix her weapons for her.

Aoife
-29th May 2003, 20:42
Lol, she'll be stalking fencers next.

Got to have a hobby.

I don't so much stalk teachers, as find out everything I can about them, and hopelessly follow them around school like a puppy. Okay, maybe I *do* stalk them. But only because they're interesting!!!

And I'm good at it! Got half their phone numbers and addresses! (see, no I have fencing I have something else to spend my holidays doing.... sitting on here! :) )

could think of some other things, but I dont want to risk Aoife's wrath

Like what??? (please, if it's something REALLY bad which I just can't remember telling you, just leave hints, and I'll say whether you can say it)

Cheetara
-29th May 2003, 20:45
Yes, I'll bet she is one of those girls who goes round begging blokes to referee her bouts for her. (Let's see how many other thread we can cross-reference)

Joe, I don't beg I just flutter my eyelashes and ask very nicely, there's a big difference

Mantis
-29th May 2003, 21:38
Originally posted by Cheetara
Joe, I don't beg I just flutter my eyelashes and ask very nicely, there's a big difference

... in a 'let me make you an offer you cannot refuse' sort of way.:eyerise:

Just for the record (and to try and drag this back on-topic (why?, I hear you ask)) I was fencing yesterday and had reason to be glad that I have worn a box all these years. It's quite amusing when your opponent is apologising profusely thinking he has utterly pole-axed you, while you are saying no, honestly I didn't feel anything.

Cheetara
-29th May 2003, 21:45
in a 'let me make you an offer you cannot refuse' sort of way.

I'm shocked :o I am completely sweet and innocent, surely you know me well enough to know that :grin:

Mantis
-29th May 2003, 21:49
I know you well enough to know I can get away with digs like this. (I hope). Well, at least I have a range of hills between you and me for protection.

Do you think these semi-private asides are confusing for other people?

Cheetara
-29th May 2003, 21:51
Yeah but confusing's good :)

Moose
-29th May 2003, 21:52
Has to do with fencing, and teachers, maybe teachers who are good at maths? Remember now?

Cheetara
-29th May 2003, 21:59
No teachers aren't confusing,

Moose
-29th May 2003, 22:03
Lol, that was in anwer to Aoife's post to me, sorry I didnt see there was another page :grin:

Cheetara
-29th May 2003, 22:08
This thread goes on and on ...

Moose
-29th May 2003, 22:09
You expect a thread about groins to be short?

Cheetara
-29th May 2003, 22:14
Not at all, there is a lot that can be said about groins ;->

Mantis
-29th May 2003, 23:31
Originally posted by Cheetara
This thread goes [ever] on and on ...

Down from the post where it began ...

Moose
-30th May 2003, 02:02
We are trying to achieve new levels of gutter talk :grin:

Hudson
-30th May 2003, 19:49
i think were doing a fine job so far.

Moose
-31st May 2003, 05:29
Who? Us? We're fine, upstanding fencers I'll have you know.

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 09:05
sorry i was mistaking you for the moose that posts all the inuendo in another thread. you have my most hnmble appologies.

Moose
-31st May 2003, 16:13
How dare you, I'm a good boy I am, I washed my hands and face before I come I did.

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 16:17
but what about behind your neck and antlers??:grin:

Moose
-31st May 2003, 16:28
I get Aoife to do my antlers :grin:

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 17:25
No you do not!!!!

And in reply to your other post... let's not go there.

Moose
-31st May 2003, 17:27
Lol, you'll have em mounted on your wall before you'll clean em :grin:

And what was wrong with my completely innocent comment then?

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 17:47
Which completely innocent comment? The one about polishing your horn, or the one implying that which isn't true, you know isn't true, and which most certainly isn't going to become true EVER, and which I'm very happy being false?

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 17:50
you tell him love.

<laughs and ponits at moose>

Moose
-31st May 2003, 17:51
Lol, you actually found a level of innuendo deeper than me cos the antler comment was innocent :)

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 17:55
there is inuendo in everything you just have to look deep enough.

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 17:56
Suuuure. Innocent. That's what they all say.

So then it must have been about the one implying that which isn't true, you know isn't true, and which most certainly isn't going to become true EVER, and which I'm very happy being false! What's wrong with that comment? Take a good guess :)

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 17:59
it reads like a double negative sort of statement but i'm confussed.
don't care anyway, Jim Davidson just did a live show here, so i don't care

Moose
-31st May 2003, 17:59
it was innocent *sniff*

which other comment is this btw?

Moose
-31st May 2003, 18:05
Ahhhhhh NOW I know which post you're going on about, I posted that ages ago, and forgot about it :grin:

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 18:06
how long ago?

Moose
-31st May 2003, 18:07
Never mind, I'd get my antlers chopped off if I mention it...

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 18:11
think it's to late for that now.
your one doomed moose me thinks :grin:

Moose
-31st May 2003, 18:12
<whimpers> Aoife wouldnt hurt a poor defenceless animal....

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 18:13
your one doomed moose me thinks.
<watches Aofie get down the shot gun>

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 18:14
What? A sabreur? :grin:

And it was NOT double negative. It's an untrue allusion!

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 18:15
a whaty whaty what what?????

Moose
-31st May 2003, 18:16
I shall say no more on the matter, cos I'm a good boy who knows not to argue with women. There are two tactics to arguing with a woman and neither of em work.

As for that sabreur comment, its probably very true against me, unless I'm fighting a girl who lets me stop cut her over and over again :grin:

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 18:23
Sorry for the confusion Hudson, Moose was casting aspursions on something he knows darn well is untrue about me.

Anyway.... back to groin protection, and whether to set up a groin tailoring service :)

Ooooh my, I just made a mess all over the desk. Damn moisturiser tube splattered everywhere. (guess it'll teach me not to chew the end of it)

(okay, now why is it called groin protection, if we've already ascertained elsewhere that the groin area excludes the genitalia?)

Moose
-31st May 2003, 18:26
No, we ascertained that the groin includes the genitalia, read closer Aoife :)

Also you SOOOOO know its true ;)

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 18:31
No Moose, you go back and read the thread again- they said it was a typo! (I think).

And we all know it isn't true. All parties involved. Very isn't true (oh what bad grammar!)

Moose
-31st May 2003, 18:32
Methinks the lady doth protest too much ;)

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 18:33
your english teacher would be so upset with you.

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 18:35
English teacher!!!!

Moose! Did you tell him in PM?!!!

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 18:37
not been told a thing but i'm sure i can piece things together from what i've read :grin: ;)

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 18:37
Oh right, it was about the grammar comment.

:confused:

Ignore everything in my last post.

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 18:39
or i'll get prity close to the mark.

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 18:44
Anyway.... what about these groin guards eh? What make does everyone use. Personally I go without... risky but hey, I'm a manly man in the full bloom of my manhood, and I'll take that risk!

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 18:46
go without and be quick with your footwork and parries around that area.

(nice dodge love)

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 18:56
go without and be quick with your footwork and parries around that area.

And what happens if you're reactions start getting slower? What would you use if you felt it was needed?

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 18:59
i'll worry about that then as for what i'd use. not a clue i'd ask a mate that did use one. never been hit there yet, close by but not there. had an epee point twist into my thigh muscle at the scottish when it got caught up in my jacket front, that hurt.

your inbox is full again love.

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 19:09
*sigh* My box is always fully.

I'll go give it a shuffle now.

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 19:11
not the only one love ;) :o

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 19:27
lol, yeah I'm sure it is Hudson! ;)

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 19:30
thats for me to know and you to .................????;)

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 19:36
not know!

(unless you one day decide to wear a box, and come to my special box-fitting shop to be fitted)

Hudson
-31st May 2003, 19:38
would it be a personal fitting?? ;)

Mantis
-31st May 2003, 20:44
Anyway.... what about these groin guards eh? What make does everyone use.

You are really interested???

OK, well I use a Stuart Sturridge box, although after a quick Google search it seems that they now sell a different line of "cricket shields" and "abdo guards" (yes, that's what they call them). The one I use is like the ones halfway down this page. (http://www.greenwood-sports.co.uk/uk2shop-8.htm) Nicely padded and very sturdy - hey, it's got to withstand a lump of wood travelling at close on 100 mph, so a bit of metal should be OK.

Rdb811
-31st May 2003, 23:13
Slazenger (two different styles) although I actually prefer the slimmer one - I think I posted this about 10 pages ago.

As Mantis said, a cricket box has to take far more punishment than fencing could give it.

Rdb811
-1st June 2003, 13:15
Originally posted by Mantis
You are really interested???

OK, well I use a Stuart Sturridge box,

That looks the same as the old style Slazenger I've got - it may just be that the pants are Slazenger and the box is generic.

I believe you can get a smaller vesion called the 'Laurence'.

Hudson
-1st June 2003, 15:54
Originally posted by Rdb811

I believe you can get a smaller vesion called the 'Laurence'.

is that the one that comes at a disscounted price when bought with the XXL masks????

Rdb811
-1st June 2003, 16:09
Indeed - you know what they say, 'big head, small ****'.

Moose
-2nd June 2003, 05:12
Well I don't know about body part correllation, but I have normal hands and big feet...

Marcos
-17th June 2003, 15:22
is it any coincidence that this is the longest thread on this site

most embarrassing moment was when my mother tried to buy me a cricket box as a 12yr old

Mantis
-17th June 2003, 15:29
You haven't got to the Association Game yet, have you? :grin:

Aoife
-18th June 2003, 22:14
The 'I know Aoife...' thread is longer than this one too- but I don't recommend reading it- it gets scary :)

The length of this thread may be partly (well mostly) my fault, due to my unhealthy fascination with the whole topic of male groin protection. :grin:

Moose
-19th June 2003, 04:34
Are you still running that personal fitting service?

Hudson
-19th June 2003, 16:10
still waiting to get a time to come for my fitting

Rdb811
-21st June 2003, 00:40
It takes that guy ages to make them out of the match stick.

Aoife
-23rd September 2003, 12:48
I performed a stunning 'inguinal' injury yesterday!

My poor, poor, poor coach.

In his words "I've still got one left."

It was rather spectacular- an accidental upwards flick between the legs (and a clear demonstration of why it is useful for male fencers to wear a box... as he wasn't :eyerise: )

:oops

Mantis
-23rd September 2003, 12:59
Sorry to revive this thread? You really expect us to believe that?

PM1
-23rd September 2003, 22:36
oh, Aoife !!! seems like ages since we've been here......!!!

Winwaloe
-29th September 2003, 13:17
trot along to your local friendly martial arts store and buy something that fits! - If the box can take a full strength kick it can withstand even the most ham fisted/brained bod with an extra large knitting needle -

Crouching Tiger
-29th September 2003, 13:59
If the box can take a full strength kick it can withstand even the most ham fisted/brained bod with an extra large knitting needle -

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

you have cheered me up on this monday morning!
thats gotta be one of the funniest ways of describing a fencing blade!

A knitting needle! :)

Winwaloe
-29th September 2003, 14:37
well that's only the eeeeepppee of course (don't use a stopwatch use a calender) as the foil is simply an elongated cocktail stick. Now sabre - that's a proper sword

Crouching Tiger
-29th September 2003, 14:47
Monday Morning..i meant to say afternoon!
But then Mondays do that to you :o

gbm
-13th June 2004, 18:24
So just about how dangerous is a hit to 'down there' for women?

:o: :o: :o:

Aoife
-13th June 2004, 21:59
At a course of Friday Pete Huggins said he'd seen a women got out from a hit 'down there'. Apparently a hard impact in a certain 'spot' has the same effect as with men.

gbm
-14th June 2004, 15:03
'Got out'? Are we talked 'keeled over in foetal position' like what a lot of men do, or something else here?