PDA

View Full Version : Competition Post of the Month

Barry Paul
-18th November 2003, 11:54
I have decided to give a prize for the best posting of the month.
Rules of the competition
1.Nomination to me only from the moderators.
2 I decide
3 Prizes I decide
4 Will there be any correspondance. I don't think so!!!!!!
5 End of year prize for best of the best.
this months winner ( If you think the month has not ended see rule 2)

Tihs was bilrlnat psoetd by Aoife Is the Nmae rgiht.
Ahhhh.... my mind scanned right over it until I knew what it was.

The idrcaenilbe pweor of the hmuan mnid!

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

amzanig huh?

Barry Paul M.D. Leon Paul

Gav
-18th November 2003, 12:10
Cool. I take it Aoife wins this month?

I sent her post round the guys at work - good mental work out for them on a Mndoay Mnonrig. :grin:

Barry Paul
-18th November 2003, 12:23
Aoife wins.
Rule missing

6. no-purchase nessecary. Barry Paul

Mantis
-18th November 2003, 12:42
Originally posted by Barry Paul
I have decided to give a prize for the best posting of the month.
Rules of the competition
1.Nomination to me only from the moderators.
2 I decide
3 Prizes I decide
4 Will there be any correspondance. I don't think so!!!!!!
5 End of year prize for best of the best.
this months winner ( If you think the month has not ended see rule 2)

I like these sorts of rules so I nominate this post. :grin:

Oh, I'm not a moderator, so I cannot.

Tihs was bilrlnat psoetd by Aoife Is the Nmae rgiht.

Afioe, surely.

Aoife
-18th November 2003, 14:37
Ooooh! Thank you!!!

:mexwave:

I just let out a very innapropriate squeel in the library (but hey, it's a year nine lesson.... it's hardly quiet anyway :) )

Barry Paul
-18th November 2003, 15:33
Let me know what equipment you want. Barry

Boo Boo
-18th November 2003, 15:43
Doesn't Clarendon Blades need a new box, spool set and tower light/scoring set Aoife???

Sorry Barry, am leading Aoife astray ;)

Boo
(thinks this competition is all Barry's evil plan to get all of the forum addicted to using Leon Paul equipment... ;) )

Jambo
-18th November 2003, 15:52
And a metal piste surely....

Boo Boo
-18th November 2003, 15:55
Yeah, Jambo, a metal piste... maybe also those lights/scoring/name screens that run the whole length of the metal piste (like they had at the Nationals).

I think that these are essentials for a young, developing club :)

Boo
(sorry Barry, I couldn't resist teasing.. :) ).

PM1
-18th November 2003, 21:12
C'marn - we can do better than that for the girl......just give me a few hours to work out the list.......

Nice one, Barry..:grin:

uk_45
-18th November 2003, 22:07
Hmmm let me see:

At least half as many boxes as the club has members, you know how annoying waiting for a box is (Olympic boxes of course)
So a spool for every member
Body wire for every member
Lame (foil and sabre for every member)
That means electric sabre: masks glove and lame-mask cable
Electric sabres, foils, Epees
A piste and equipment table for every box.
Lunging pads
FIE jackets mask plastrons and breeches for every member and good glove
Say a couple of thousand score sheets two
Some drinks bottles
Pile of medals for giving out at comps
Towers and finals clock
About 10 large kit cases (colour coded)
And a nice large pile of coach’s kit
In fact to stop things getting mixed up you can have each members name printed on the jacket/lame and painted on their mask.

i think that would do nicely, same for me please.

PM1
-18th November 2003, 22:32
....well.............that's saved me a thought or 2...........:grin:

good luck, Aoife !!:grin: :grin:

Barry Paul
-18th November 2003, 22:40
just noticed my original post was moderated by kingkenny. He is our new censor of rude words?
Aoife, still waiting for your personal equipment wish item? Barry Paul

Mantis
-18th November 2003, 22:43
Originally posted by uk_45
i think that would do nicely, same for me please.

You have to win "Post of the Month" first, and on the basis of what you have listed and who decides the winners I don't think you should hold your breath. :tongue:

Rdb811
-18th November 2003, 23:20
just noticed my original post was moderated by kingkenny. He is our new censor of rude words?
Aoife, still waiting for your personal equipment wish item? Barry Paul

It's a good job she didn't mention the Danish king of England whose name is anglized to Canute.

Aoife
-19th November 2003, 10:02
Aoife, still waiting for your personal equipment wish item?

I've just sent you an IM. Thanks.

Barry Paul
-20th November 2003, 15:49
Three card has just directed me to off piste 'bit of Whimsy' by Pointy stick. Not sure if in the rules I can give prizes for retrospective great postings pandoras box might be openned!!!! Any thoughts?????? Barry

pinkelephant
-20th November 2003, 16:12
It certainly deserves a prize - it ranks alongside "The Art of Coarse Fencing" in one of the 70's issues of The Sword.

PM1
-20th November 2003, 16:50
Have to agree with Pink ellephant - 'twas wonderful, and indeed, you should read the responses to it on the thread.

there is also the thread/post about being happy(?), which should be printed, at least in parts, on a t shirt....will see if I can find it, unless anyone else can. Again, the responses on line were very positive to an inivotive posting.

Be revolutionary - you make the rules, for G**'s sake.......:grin:

PM1
-22nd November 2003, 23:54
That past post I reckon you should give an award to - Off Topic>chit chat>Everbody's free. posted by Tarmac on 25th September. Brilliant, just brilliant.........

Barry Paul
-25th November 2003, 22:38
pointy stick just has to win the new retrospective post of the month prize birlialant!!!! Contact me with your desired prize list. Barry Paul m.D. Leon paul
for all those that cannot find the post see below.
A bit of whimsy
In the 1950s and 1960s, gangs of young men settled matters of honour with razors and flick knives. As the laws tightened up, "duels" with bottles and beer glasses became more common. By the late 1990s, no Saturday evening in any UK city was complete without a few "glassings" - brief, brutal and bloody encounters, often over the most trifling insult, or perceived insult.

The authorities took steps to deal with the problem. Many pubs took to selling beer in plastic beakers, and the fashion moved towards drinking overpriced foreign beer from small, lightweight bottles. However, the phenomenon of "glassing" never died out.

By the early 21st century, youth culture had divided, with many choosing to resolve their differences with handguns, but others sticking with the traditional glassing.

And, as is the way with all such phenomena, some people started to study "glassing" as a science, learning and practising ways of defeating opponents quickly and without risk. By 2010, illegal prize fights became common, with the greatest glassers becoming nationally known figures. Some took to teaching their art on a commercial basis, peddling strange combinations of skills, philosophy, and geometry in an attempt to convince the gullible that they alone held the secret of the glasser's art.

By 2020, glassing had become almost exclusively a sport, seldom used to settle real disputes. It made the gradual transition from illegal activity, to marginal, to fringe, to becoming a respectable minority sport. The Federation International Vitrine was formed, along with a number of national bodies such as the British Union of Glassers (BUG), to draw up a set of rules which could govern competitions (the British Union of Glassers General Exposition of Rules held sway for several years).

Three main disciplines were developed: Straight Glass, Jar, and Lady's Glass (or 'Stem'). In each case, sports glasses were used, made of deformable plastic. As early as 2025, the scoring was made easier by the introduction of 'electrics' to establish when a hit had been scored - although for decades after this, some practitioners maintained that the electrics spoiled the purity of the sport.

After initial resistance from the traditionalists, it became first accepted, then compulsory, to wear protective masks.

In keeping with the origins of the sport, an elaborate code of courtesy and ethics prevailed in the sport. Before combat, a glasseur would raise his glass and salute his opponent. In Straight Glass, the glasseur would say, "Down the Hatch"; in Jar, "Bottoms Up"; and in Ladys' Glass, "Cheers".

One glasseur would then ask, "What are you looking at?" to which the other would reply, "What's it to you?". The Judge would then signal the start of the fight by shouting, "Leave it, Dave, it's not worth it... you'll kill him!"

The Straight Glass was fought with the 1 pint beer glass, with no handle. A bout was fought in a number of 'rounds', first to six pints - a whole game being known as a 'Tray'. The objective was simple: to strike the opponent in the face or throat more than 1/25 of a second before he could strike you.

Jar was a much rougher game. The Jar was based on the heavy 'dimpled' pint pot with a strong glass handle. Many Jareurs held the handle lightly, using the fingers and wrist to whip the Jar onto the opponent. Others, citing tradition, slipped their hand through the handle, cupping the sides of the jar with the palm, and fighting with a stronger, more direct style. The target area included the face and throat, but Jareurs were also allowed to strike down at the head or shoulders, using the weight of the jar to stun the opponent. As the original 'jar' was favoured traditionally by the older, more refined real ale drinker, the sport of Jarring developed an elaborate 'right of way' convention, where Jareurs engaged in a series of toasts and feints before making the attack.

Lady's Glass (or 'Stem') became the blue riband event, and was surprisingly popular with male as well as female glasseurs. Unlike the other two 'weapons', a Stem only held half a pint when full. In recognition of the sport's origins, Stemists were allowed to start each 'round' with up to half a glass of beer (later reduced to Watneys, then, in 2025, upgraded to water) which they could throw into the face of their opponent before launching the full attack. The target area was restricted to the face.

Stem became the most controversial weapon, as glass designs rapidly developed away from the original symmetrical drinking vessel to something more specifically adapted for the demands of the sport. The stem of the Stem became longer, flexible, and curved to fit the shape of the hand, favouring subtle and delicate "finger play". By 2030, the stem had become so curved that it was impossible to hold even half a pint of water in a "Lady's Glass". All attempts at adjusting the design rules to counteract this were unsuccessful.

It became generally accepted that the sport of Stem (now an Olympic 'demonstration sport') had evolved far beyond its origins as a martial art. In the Glassing press (e.g. BUG's quarterly publication, 'The Glass', and the Glassers' Forum at http://glassingforum.com) there was increasingly tetchy debate between those who wanted to go full speed ahead with developing Glassing as a sport, and those who wished to retain links with 'the ancient and noble art' - as it was now perceived by the romantics.

By 2050, there were calls for a 'Classic Glassing Society', with a return to a strict interpretation of the original rules, including the rule that all glasses should be symmetrical (except for the handle, in Jar) one pint in capacity (1/2 pint in Lady's Glass) and capable of standing unsupported without spilling a drop from a full glass of beer with a 'reasonable head'. Classicists alleged that 'sport glassing' had lost much of its elegance and form; sports glassers derided the classicists for sticking to out moded ideas.

A common topic of debate in pubs was who would win in a real fight: a sport glasser, or a classical glasser. Whatever the answer, it was obvious that all the top performers used the modern technique which emphasised speed and timing, rather than elaborate feints and parries.

Meanwhile, on the fringes of the sport, some of the beardy weirdies started to develop rules and conventions for fighting with pewter tankards and even, in one bizarre and ill-fated experiment, drinking horns. All Glassers, from every wing of the sport, mocked the Fantasy Role Play glassers, who spent their weekends dressed in late 20th century clothing, "exploring" mock ups of red brick pubs, and scoring points for successfully 'glassing' skinheads, bouncers and other "characters" played by actors.

And what of the future of Glassing? It is hoped that by 2060, Glassing will be accepted as an Olympic sport. This will involve major changes to the rules, to take into account stylistic and historical differences between the different Olympic nations. France is already campaigning for a Wine Glass event; in Germany, Glassers are determined not to lose the subtlety of play allowed by the bierstein, with its hinged lid; the Americans, as always, see the world differently, and argue that Bottling is a "purer expression" of the original duelling ethic.

Barry Paul
-25th November 2003, 22:46
If this could be sung to the song suggested I might appreciate it more. Any digital sound experts out there?
Found it!!!
That past post I reckon you should give an award to - Off Topic>chit chat>Everbody's free. posted by Tarmac on 25th September. Brilliant, just brilliant.........

Barry Paul.

_

PM1
-25th November 2003, 22:57
er, Barry - it wasn't SUNG, exactly: a kind of "voice over" for the original recording.

But I STILL say it's GOT to win something for him - who's with me ???? I'm getting a bit of it printed up on a t shirt for Chrissy for the boy.....and me, probably :grin:

symon
-1st December 2003, 15:10
i agree with PM1 its gotta be worth a prize of some form!! go on Barry! christmas is coming after ( good will to all men ( and women! ) and all that tosh!! :) )

Barry Paul
-4th December 2003, 16:15
Sorry still don't get it, can someone take me aside and explain every body is free?

Pointy stick you have'nt claimed you prize yet. Barry Paul

Prometheus
-4th December 2003, 16:31
I suspect Barry's humour is more Wilson, Keppel and Betty than this is ;)

Anyone for an Egyptian sand dance?

uk_45
-4th December 2003, 16:44
Hmm not sure about the sand dance.

But if any one wants to do the dance of death:tongue:

PM1
-4th December 2003, 22:39
Barry - trust me : would I lie to you ?? Read the thread that it started - the comments are very enthusiastic and complimentary. In fact, it was probably the catalyst for the other 2 being posted, the "whimsy" being another bit of plagerism, and Aoife's being a straight posting (good and truthful tho' it is). If you knew the record "Everybody is free", you'd know that it was the voice of a serious, middle aged guy with a voice of authority (not unlike you)
making what is almost a political broadcast, sincere but with some cynical overtones (as I said, not unlike you....) and therein lies the fun.

I'm having printed up the bit about respecting your coaches and paying them in beer - for our coaches, of course.

Treat my comments as you will,

But trust me on this.

:cool:

Pointy stick
-8th December 2003, 07:35

Pointy stick you have'nt claimed you prize yet. Barry Paul

Ooooooh! Only found out yesterday that I'd been nominated. I never noticed this thread before. Pity as I spent most of a week's wages at the Leon paul stand at H&W yesterday!

I'll respond direct with my contact details.

Barry Paul
-22nd December 2003, 16:11

It,s Christmas, I still don't get it but who I am I to disagree with my betters. So Tarmac contact me tell me what you want as a prize.

Post Of the year Nominations Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Barry Paul

PM1
-22nd December 2003, 19:07
ah, bless!!!!another cup of coffee coming up, I feel.

I even heard this track on Radio 4 on Sunday - Everybody's free (to wear suncream). A 1999 classic......

Merry Christmas Barry (and Joan). A good decision (betters, indeed).

uk_45
-22nd December 2003, 19:10
hey Barry and all merry Christmas.

Hope you all get what ever u want.

i got nice new lame and electric mask that was meant to have contour fit, but didnt this morning. Oh well can't complain really.

Moose
-24th December 2003, 01:15
A Merry Christmas to all :)