PDA

View Full Version : Breeches

Urban Spaceman
-19th November 2003, 11:18
After reading a couple of comments about breeches in the 'calling legal eagles' thread, I had a thought... (and that doesn't happen often).

Why don't breeches go all the way down the leg to the ankles ? Surely it would be safer to protect everything below the knee with something more than a sock ?

Ta.

(..Eagerly awaiting Santa bringing me my breeches & some socks in a month's time.)

Aoife
-20th November 2003, 09:41
I'd think that would restrict movement. Espeically with old thick cotton type ones.

:shrug:

uk_45
-20th November 2003, 09:44
Yeah proberbly right another thing is proberbly tradition of breechs so wait a month or two im sure FIE will change it if it is a tradition

pinkelephant
-20th November 2003, 10:20
Our American friends wouldn't be able to describe them as "knickers".

Mantis
-20th November 2003, 10:47
Originally posted by pinkelephant

You mean the men who quite happily admit they wear knickers and suspenders?

Marcos
-20th November 2003, 10:53
Originally posted by Aoife
I'd think that would restrict movement. Espeically with old thick cotton type ones.

:shrug:
:thumbs_up

same as how tennis players used to wear trousers

don;t think tradition has that much to do with it - 19th century officers I'm sure were just as practical about these things, hence they wore breaches too

Boo Boo
-20th November 2003, 11:00
Originally posted by pinkelephant

I always wear them when I fence (+ shorts for good measure...) :rolleyes:

I believe that - until what date I am not sure - women used to have to wear skirts for fencing. So I hope that the FIE don't revert to that (still, not sure that you could get a CEN endorsement for the fencing "mini-skirt" anyway... ;) ).

Boo

uk_45
-20th November 2003, 11:11
Originally posted by Boo Boo
(still, not sure that you could get a CEN endorsement for the fencing "mini-skirt" anyway... ;) ).

Boo

Hmmm i would make womens Epee intresting to wacth tho

Tarmac
-20th November 2003, 12:44
especially if you were standing behind someone doing a fleche... oops i'm dribbling again:(
mind you it could be funny if the blokes wore mini skirts... or would that just be dangerous? i mean just how many weapons are you allowed on the piste?
:tongue:

Rdb811
-20th November 2003, 16:45
To rais ethe tone of the conversation - my new pair of LP breeches quite long - works well.

stevejackson
-20th November 2003, 20:18
Ladies and gentlemen, According to my 1991 copy of the rules you could wear long trousers but they had to be fastened at the ankle. Somewhere between 1991 and 2000 this was changed.

I've also seen photos from about the 1920's of ladies fencing in a long calf length divided skirt - a bit like very wide trousers but that hung and appeared like a skirt when stationary. Anyone any ideas about the target for these foilists? perhaps another meaning for classic foil?

uk_45
-20th November 2003, 20:58
Yeah there is a pic on the LP family Hostory page

Aoife
-21st November 2003, 09:30
I've seen various pictures of women fencing in skirts. I've got a 1951 handbook on fencing and women are in trousers there (but it seems to be treated liek somwhat of a novelty)

devalleassoc
-27th November 2003, 04:04
(still, not sure that you could get a CEN endorsement for the fencing "mini-skirt" anyway... ;) ).

Boo

OH CANADA!!!!!!

:cool:

Rdb811
-27th November 2003, 11:45
Somebody told me that the women's change from skirts to breeches took place very quickly when it did occur.

Muso440
-27th November 2003, 18:01
Originally posted by Rdb811
Somebody told me that the women's change from skirts to breeches took place very quickly when it did occur.

That doesn't really surprise me. Which would *you* rather wear?

devalleassoc
-27th November 2003, 18:10
Makes sense to me!! Breeches all the way! (Although, the thought of those Canadian chicks in minis.............................:)

Rdb811
-27th November 2003, 23:08
Originally posted by Muso440
That doesn't really surprise me. Which would *you* rather wear?

Well, since my legs are my best feature .....

bucket
-28th November 2003, 11:18
wonder if I'd get away with a kilt then ?.

Of course the sporran would give some extra protection.

devalleassoc
-28th November 2003, 13:29
As to stretch breeches, I am seriously considering going for the Allstar "startex" uniform. (Tops and bottoms, of course) Is it as stretchy and comfortable as they claim it to be??? I have the "Athens" kit right now, and I find it, just okay! Or perhaps the Paul uniform. I am intrigued by the "wicking" aspect.:fencingsm

pinkelephant
-29th November 2003, 19:39
LP Sydney range is stretchy and very comfortable. I can lunge a good bit further in it than I can in the non-stretch FIE stuff. WELL worth the extra money.

DrT
-1st December 2003, 12:15
How about the Duellist FIE stuff? I think they claim that is full stretch and wicking...

As an aside, has anyone seen this blue panel kit they're selling? What's that all about then, eh? Does is look good, or is it best combined with a blue mask and used as a fencing smurf costume?:smirf:

symon
-1st December 2003, 13:46
On the subject of Duellist has anyone heard if they've received their new kit in?? ( knew they had trouble with their suppliers ) and Ian was going to E-mail me when they had got ined to get the in cause i wanted to get the duellist startex kit with the black piping

devalleassoc
-1st December 2003, 14:55
...Hmmm! I just e-mailed Duellist about these two items. (The blue & white one sounds interesting!) I'll post back, if / when I hear anything!;)

Rdb811
-1st December 2003, 23:40
Originally posted by symon
On the subject of Duellist has anyone heard if they've received their new kit in?? ( knew they had trouble with their suppliers ) and Ian was going to E-mail me when they had got ined to get the in cause i wanted to get the duellist startex kit with the black piping

Due in wthin a week or so, per John this weekend.

DrT
-9th December 2003, 12:05
Any news on Duellist kit? I'd quite like to order some before xmas.

Boo Boo
-9th December 2003, 12:08
Sen Ian an email or give him a ring - http://duellist.com/ukfencing/email.html - he is always quick to respond to questions :)

Boo

DrT
-9th December 2003, 12:17
ta Boo! :)