PDA

View Full Version : student fencing design project!!

fencing designer
-8th October 2008, 14:52
Hi,
As a new member today this is my first thread and I like to think its quite a good one.

My name is Rob and I am studying my final year of a masters level Product Design course at Coventry University. for my final project, me and two other student colleagues have been approached by no other than Leon Paul, leading manufacturer of all things fencing to redesign thier current wire and spool scoring system. We intend to improve several aspects of the design in preperation for the 2012 London Olympics.

Being new to the sport, our knowledge of fencing is pretty limited and to achieve an improved product we need insider and expert feedback into the current scoring box design and its limitations. It would be really great if you could spend a little time thinking about the problems you and your fellow fencers have experienced with the current wire and spool system and let me know. For example, obvious problems we have already identified are the sheer weight and bulk of the scoring box in terms of transportation and the limited battery capabilities. any similar aspects to these would be great to hear about and more importantly any issues relating to the usability of the product.

It would be great for you all to get involved and to hear your ideas. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Rob

Nick_C
-12th October 2008, 14:15
It's the simple things that annoy me, such as when refereeing, not being able to see which lights are on and which are off if you're in a building with sun beaming down from above (eg the old nationals venue).

Also, i dislike the way that no-one has seeemed to have been able to design a spool that doesnt follow you down the piste half the time. Taping the spool and wires inevitably leads to wires being pulled from spools and further annoyance.

mozzar
-13th October 2008, 08:19
It would be useful if the case of the spools was see through; it'd allow any problems to be seen straight away rather than having to go through the hassle of taking it apart.

TLove
-13th October 2008, 08:48
Also, i dislike the way that no-one has seeemed to have been able to design a spool that doesnt follow you down the piste half the time.

The flat Favero spools seem very good at not doing this to me...

pinkelephant
-13th October 2008, 21:09
Build in a coffee dispenser.;)

Almiz
-13th October 2008, 22:56
Build in a coffee dispenser.;)

nah red bull.

or even better a jager dispenser JAGERBOMBS!!