PDA

View Full Version : England Board election....

Linda L
-17th October 2008, 19:11
Hi Guys

Time to get voting for the England board, and at least one paid up Veteran on the ballot.
Duncan is the only candidate who has made a specific undertaking to work with the NVA t o see what England can do for its Vet members.
Duncan you have my vote....

Good luck to all, and who ever you want to be elected, use your vote they all count.

Linda:cool:

Baldric
-17th October 2008, 22:16
Hi Guys

Time to get voting for the England board, and at least one paid up Veteran on the ballot.
Duncan is the only candidate who has made a specific undertaking to work with the NVA t o see what England can do for its Vet members.
Duncan you have my vote....

Good luck to all, and who ever you want to be elected, use your vote they all count.

Linda:cool:

Hi Linda

Thanks for drawing more attention to the elections.

Vets fencing is not really my area of expertise*, so please help me out here. What are the issues that England Vet fencers want to explore with England Fencing?

*Yes, I am old enough, just too chicken!

Linda L
-18th October 2008, 06:55
Hi Linda

Thanks for drawing more attention to the elections.

Vets fencing is not really my area of expertise*, so please help me out here. What are the issues that England Vet fencers want to explore with England Fencing?

*Yes, I am old enough, just too chicken!

Ahh the joys of YOUTH !!! Hang on ,just read the last bit- don't be chicken - join us!!

Well England Vets dont , at the moment , have any real relationship with England.
We attend the Veterans Commonwealth Games every 2 years, as England Veterans ( last time a huge haul of Medals for England it must be said) and whilst this is not a selection issue, because we didnt have any links with England the Board could not help us out.
Having said this they allowed us to use the England polos and had them especially printed for us to purchase. A really nice thing.
If we had a more official relationship we could,might have gained a little more.
it is not that England are not willing, we are just nothing to do with them at the moment.

The Welsh Vets are supported a little I believe by Welsh fencing. - can use the logos, kit etc etc

You have, potentially 400 willing Vets fencers who could be of some use to England....engage them, they could be a real asset.

But this IS just my opinion, not any sort of official view.

In the Vets we now have 4 Reigning World Champions, the President of European Veterans in Dave Sweeney, and Hilary Philbin, who is ogrganising 2012 fencing.

Quite a good group to engage with, use, speak to ????
Open the box and use your imagination !!!!!

Linda

Baldric
-18th October 2008, 09:58
Well England Vets dont , at the moment , have any real relationship with England ...<snip>...it is not that England are not willing, we are just nothing to do with them at the moment.

Hi Linda

My understanding was that the separation of England Vets from England Fencing was a mutually agreed stance?

As it was explained to me, the England vets wanted to retain complete control over selection, team management and other matters dear to them, without being subject to the rules and policies that govern other England teams. EF agreed to this, on the understanding that the NGB would only be able to provide moral support.

Is this also your understanding, or did I miss something?

As for engaging 400 active, knowledgeable, committed volunteers to benefit fencing - please form an orderly queue!:) In fairness, most of the vets are already working ther butts off as volunteers.

All joking aside, I would love to see the vets take a more active role closer to EF, so long as the issues that I referred to in my first paragraph can be resolved.

Ray

PM1
-18th October 2008, 10:17
Hi Linda :)

Take a look at my election blurb if you would : - " making our sport accessible accross all ages, genders, abilities and cultures" and " ensuring accountability to our entire membership, whatever age" - do they do it for you??

i've spoken with Dunc on many an occasion about vets, and had a fine timein their company at the Worlds earlier this month in Limoges: my eyes were openned, :not_worth tho' I have more questions to ask (thanks Frank for being so "frank" when we spoke !!

There's lots to do, and the "hit list" is long, but vets are deffo on my agenda. One of the things I very much want to instigate is an audit of skills in our volunteer base, and I see a potential 400 people who might be high on the list to "audit" ??

Who do I talk too ?????

Regards,

maggie L-J

Boo Boo
-18th October 2008, 10:46
Glad to see the option of internet voting too (as well as traditional postal voting) - great idea :)

Hopefully this will encourage more people to vote.

Boo

Linda L
-18th October 2008, 11:47
Hi Linda

My understanding was that the separation of England Vets from England Fencing was a mutually agreed stance?

As it was explained to me, the England vets wanted to retain complete control over selection, team management and other matters dear to them, without being subject to the rules and policies that govern other England teams. EF agreed to this, on the understanding that the NGB would only be able to provide moral support.

Is this also your understanding, or did I miss something?

As for engaging 400 active, knowledgeable, committed volunteers to benefit fencing - please form an orderly queue!:) In fairness, most of the vets are already working ther butts off as volunteers.

All joking aside, I would love to see the vets take a more active role closer to EF, so long as the issues that I referred to in my first paragraph can be resolved.

Ray

Totally agree with what you say, the understanding you have is correct, moral support is good, but all NVA members are also home country members and therefore contribute to the coffers of each country.....so some times, possibly, something other than a moral support might be offered? I dont know- just a thought. Anything that gets people thinking, talking and debating is a great thing.

Linda;)

Linda L
-18th October 2008, 11:49
Hi Linda :)

Take a look at my election blurb if you would : - " making our sport accessible accross all ages, genders, abilities and cultures" and " ensuring accountability to our entire membership, whatever age" - do they do it for you??

i've spoken with Dunc on many an occasion about vets, and had a fine timein their company at the Worlds earlier this month in Limoges: my eyes were openned, :not_worth tho' I have more questions to ask (thanks Frank for being so "frank" when we spoke !!

There's lots to do, and the "hit list" is long, but vets are deffo on my agenda. One of the things I very much want to instigate is an audit of skills in our volunteer base, and I see a potential 400 people who might be high on the list to "audit" ??

Who do I talk too ?????

Regards,

maggie L-J

Maggie we are all here to talk to - Frank as chairman is a good starting point, I edit the newsletter- if you want to grab the attention of the NVA members- write to me and I will put it in the newsletter.
Again, any debate is good>:o

PM1
-18th October 2008, 13:24
Hi Linda,

When i've finished my "additional blurb", I shall do that thing !! O'wise I'll get told off by my good mate Baldy. Again.....:whistle:
:D

Barry Paul
-18th October 2008, 14:44
Totally agree with what you say, the understanding you have is correct, moral support is good, but all NVA members are also home country members and therefore contribute to the coffers of each country.....so some times, possibly, something other than a moral support might be offered? I dont know- just a thought. Anything that gets people thinking, talking and debating is a great thing.

Linda;)

So U.K sport can give G.B. money for a consultant to look at the issue, who will recommend that the VETS are split into home countries and then England can gobble up England VETS and the problem Linda outlined above is solved. Is there a flaw in my plan?

Linda L
-18th October 2008, 15:01
So U.K sport can give G.B. money for a consultant to look at the issue, who will recommend that the VETS are split into home countries and then England can gobble up England VETS and the problem Linda outlined above is solved. Is there a flaw in my plan?

Sure there is a flaw Barry:eek: Vets dont need to be split- we have Welsh/ Scots/ Irish/ English/ dare I say Cornish.... etc etc anyway, its just how we are!
Seriously, I am not yet sure what anyone might gain, or loose out of it.
No-one wants the Vets gobbled up by anyone ( indigestion comes to mind), least of all me, just a discussion we need to have.

The RIGHT sort of mutual gain would clearly be good- I doubt that England really wants to run the England Vets.- no -more than the Regions want to select Vets for the Vets Winton....????

But as part of the fencing community, the Vets are a growing ,successful and vociferous lot...and make of them what you will..:whistle: