PDA

View Full Version : Courses

spirall333
-20th November 2003, 15:57
Is there such a thing as a course in armoury? if so are there qualifications, are they regulated and who by?
I did notice at the welsh that a couple of gents where wearing T shirts with "Guild of Armourers" on them is this a proper Guild?
B

stevejackson
-20th November 2003, 20:52
Yes The guild of armourers is a proper guild, part of the BFA , and sponsored by Leon Paul ( Usual disclaimer). To wear the tee shirt you must be a member. You must also be a member of British fencing. (unless you're an honourary member - a couple of Americans and a Belgium who are reknown the world over for their knowledge and skills.)

To answer the question there are armoury courses - I used to run them in the Bath area for the southwest, and I've done a couple in Eastern region. I know other guild members who teach, but if your posted location is correct I think I'm about the closest. To get a course together PM me with details and what you want to learn and I'll see if I can agree a date or can find someone else who can do this. Alternatively approach the friendly armourer at an open competition. If you have a specific problem you need help with either post details here or pm me and I'll do my best to help - no cure no fee (who'm I kidding no fee for advice)

Ranking within the guild is by ability knowledge and experience. Starting at the bottom

Apprentice learning the trade

Journeyman. able to cope with ordinary club armoury and help at opens

Armourer. Fully able to take on any task at a club, or run an open, and be aware of all the requirements of weapon control

Master by invitation only - when you get here you're able to set up and run the armoury side of an A grade.

Aoife
-21st November 2003, 09:35
Any armourey courses in/near Kent?

I'm my clubs armourer/secretary/assistant treasurer (which isn't too impresive- it means I can weild an allen key :) )

spirall333
-21st November 2003, 09:51
yes me too Aoife, i was surprized to fine that a foil only has one spring, i thought it worked like a epee.
thanks for the reply Steve i will pm you later with my many fold needs when i get a bit more time today.
Chears:)

Gav
-21st November 2003, 09:52
Originally posted by stevejackson
Yes The guild of armourers is a proper guild, part of the BFA , and sponsored by Leon Paul ( Usual disclaimer). To wear the tee shirt you must be a member. You must also be a member of British fencing. (unless you're an honourary member - a couple of Americans and a Belgium who are reknown the world over for their knowledge and skills.)

To answer the question there are armoury courses - I used to run them in the Bath area for the southwest, and I've done a couple in Eastern region. I know other guild members who teach, but if your posted location is correct I think I'm about the closest. To get a course together PM me with details and what you want to learn and I'll see if I can agree a date or can find someone else who can do this. Alternatively approach the friendly armourer at an open competition. If you have a specific problem you need help with either post details here or pm me and I'll do my best to help - no cure no fee (who'm I kidding no fee for advice)

Ranking within the guild is by ability knowledge and experience. Starting at the bottom

Apprentice learning the trade

Journeyman. able to cope with ordinary club armoury and help at opens

Armourer. Fully able to take on any task at a club, or run an open, and be aware of all the requirements of weapon control

Master by invitation only - when you get here you're able to set up and run the armoury side of an A grade.

Wow! Proper guild terms! I thought that had all died out. People up here in Scotland have been asking as well. Do you know who is best to contact?

spirall333
-21st November 2003, 09:57
what about a list of courses and guild contacts, could become a sticky?
B

Gav
-21st November 2003, 09:58
Originally posted by spirall333
what about a list of courses and guild contacts, could become a sticky?
B

Not a bad idea. If Steve publishes them in a seperate tread then I can make it a sticky for you.

spirall333
-21st November 2003, 10:43
cool, thanks Gav

stevejackson
-21st November 2003, 20:42
Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm a member of the Amourers guild and am happy to act as post box. I'm not prepared to post other people's addresses without asking permission first.

The main players I know in the armourers guild are John Kenedy, Peter and Jannet Huggins, Dave Litchfield, and myself. This is not meant to be a slight on anyone else just that these are the people who I know turn out regularly to Opens as armourers. In addition theres a triumverate in the North East, Rob, Colin and Heather but I don't know surnames.

Jenrick
-23rd November 2003, 20:40
Would be good if you could let us know of any courses. Looks like it would be well attended!! Some of us would come over. Would even visit Scotland if one was on then that suited!