PDA

View Full Version : Attention All Men's Captains

purple
-7th November 2008, 10:31
I thought this might be remotely of interest to you... As I was digging through some of my old paperwork, a piece of carefully folded A4 dropped out. Upon investigation, I was delighted to find it was the instruction from my old men's cap to myself as I took over his role at Durham. I thought it might provide some food for thought for all current men's captains currently having to juggle the BUSA lifestyle.

Passing this information on may be considered heresy... But I'll take the risk.

--
The Ten Commandments

1) Thou shalt have no other Gods before Laszlo.

2) Keep training holy: If you're not there no-one else will be.

3) Know your job: your remit is training and matches of the men's team. Everything else is the exec's problem.

4) Use the vice-captain: for advice, organisation and taking the blame.

5) Humour thy president.

6) Thou shalt not forget to cheer at the end of a match. If helps to remember who the opponents are.

7) Thou shalt not forget match sheets.

8) Thou shalt not call fencers to the piste in the wrong order against Northumbria.

9) Take Jaffa cakes on away matches, the team will strike otherwise.

10) Thou shalt not forget that BUSA is insignificant on the grand scale. Your degree and friends are not.

<em>Tarquil Gabriel Gilbert III (apologies to God)</em>

I kept to over half of them at least... (and definately didn't contravine number eight). Views?

TLove
-7th November 2008, 12:04
As I remember, wasn't the person mentioned in point 4 constitutionally obliged to bring the items in number 9?

*grumble* Northumbria *grumble*

Rob.Leicester
-7th November 2008, 12:09
How weird, we have such similar commandments, some slight differences:
1. Thou shalt honour Kirby and the duo of Chris
6. Thou shalt cheer loudest in the land
9. The vice-captain must supply the team with Jelly Babies and Coke (pepsi is acceptable) at any and all matches

Bayston
-7th November 2008, 12:28
I am gonna pass this onto my captains, I like the honour thy president! :P

But with us Jaffa Cakes are on the black list with "lucky absinthe" for unlucky items that cause us to lose.

Rob.Leicester
-7th November 2008, 12:32
Oh, forgot one too
11. If thy Captain demands you strip, shed thy rags.

Swords Crossed
-7th November 2008, 12:45

Hear! Hear!

purple
-7th November 2008, 13:47

You clearly misread:
Humour thy president

purple
-7th November 2008, 13:49
As I remember, wasn't the person mentioned in point 4 constitutionally obliged to bring the items in number 9?

*grumble* Northumbria *grumble*

That is a good question. I always took them *anyway*, and in our final year there was some rejigging WRT the Jaffa cakes because the AU were awkward about the clause.

We also tried to sneak some other stuff in there as well. If I find a copy of the appropiate year's constitution I shall validate.

As it was, it cost me a bleedin' fortune in Jaffa Cakes.

PM1
-7th November 2008, 21:16
Northumbria? Wot's up with Northumbria?? or was.......:confused:

purple
-7th November 2008, 21:39
There was a *technicality* in my second year, where one of the fencers came to the piste in the wrong order. Because it's the captain's responsibility to ensure the right fencers come to the piste at the right time, the entire weapon was declared void 45-0 defeat to Northumbria's favour.

That's quite a margin to have to win your other two weapons on...

Red
-8th November 2008, 08:57
There was a *technicality* in my second year, where one of the fencers came to the piste in the wrong order. Because it's the captain's responsibility to ensure the right fencers come to the piste at the right time, the entire weapon was declared void 45-0 defeat to Northumbria's favour.

Ouch. What a good thing the rules on that have changed since then.

doobarz
-8th November 2008, 10:20

Had we not already kicked you in the sabre?

PM1
-8th November 2008, 11:15
Ouch ouch, purtle....that must have hurt.....nice Northumbria at the mo, tho';)

TLove
-8th November 2008, 11:24
Had we not already kicked you in the sabre?

Hah, probably. Your sabre team always came under the heading of "unfair" ;) Although having said that we always managed to get to around 40 hits IIRC.

purple
-10th November 2008, 18:06
TLove - you should bloody know, it was my second year (your last year)? You were on the team at any rate.

Have the rules changed since then? If so, how? The rules are the BFAs rules.

Red
-10th November 2008, 19:56
TLove - you should bloody know, it was my second year (your last year)? You were on the team at any rate.

Have the rules changed since then? If so, how? The rules are the BFAs rules.

FIE changed the rule (and therefore BFA), now you only have to go back to when it was last correct and replay it from there.

TLove
-10th November 2008, 21:45

I was probably drunk at the time. :rolleyes:

Naimst
-10th November 2008, 22:00

There was always just a little bit of rivalry between Durham and Northumbria and we all revelled technicalities of rules!

Nick_C
-15th August 2009, 05:07
oh northumbria! nothing changes lol. My understanding of that rule was that it only applied to WC & C'wealth/Olympic team matches. (?)

pinkelephant
-15th August 2009, 07:44
No - the rule applied to all team relay matches.

madfencer
-15th August 2009, 15:00

Are you sure about that PM? ;)

I'm so glad that Northumbria knew the rules as they used to be at the time of that match! Then again, i'd be VERY suprised if Jimmy has an excuse not to know any of the rules!!

pinkelephant
-15th August 2009, 16:43
Jimmy wasn't there at the time in question.

DSSabre
-15th August 2009, 19:49
It is true but dont bucs have their own rules.

Red
-16th August 2009, 01:06
Indeed they do.
As far as I recall the only special rules are about deciding who wins when the total score is equal and for separating teams in the league. I think the BFA/FIE Rules for Competition cover everything else.

TLove
-16th August 2009, 02:25
In any case, it was all bad at the time!