PDA

View Full Version : If only I'd known...

MrWizard
-22nd November 2003, 15:33
Silly me, I always thought if you fenced right-handed then your right foot should be your front foot - apparently not - BBC guide to fencing (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/sport/getasport/combat/combat/fencing.shtml) :eekk2:

Not too sure about the pink shirt either... ;)

Jamie

Aoife
-22nd November 2003, 19:16
:rolling:

Oh dear!

Try standing like that with your left leg forward, right arm and shoulders in normal stance, and back arm up. Strains your left side somewhat!!!!

I just tried doing a bit of footwork like that, silly old me, kept accidently reversing my shoulders, wobbling, now my left shoulder aches, and my attempt at a fleche ended in disaster. Hmmmn, nonetheless I'm glad the BBC have corrected my mistakes, and now my fenicng can only improve!

Rdb811
-22nd November 2003, 23:39
At least you get a point every time you hit - with the weaopn pointing at the sky - they've obviously got the inside line from the FIE.

Musketeer
-23rd November 2003, 06:36
Is this a British thing? I know you drive on the opposite side of the road from us Americans... ;) :grin:

Muso440
-23rd November 2003, 10:49
Who on *earth* is responsible for this?!? Barmy...

Muso440
-23rd November 2003, 10:57
I just filled in the 'contact us' form to tell them that they're going to be injuring lots of small kiddies if they don't change it pdq.

I particularly enjoyed filling in my age and ticking the box to say 'yes I have asked my parents if I can send this email' (especially as it was a fib!).

bufc99
-24th November 2003, 12:31
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. :( :( :(

It's interesting trying to fence like that. Almost every time I lunged I nearly fell over cos your so off-balance. CBBC have since had an e-mail from me telling them to change it as soon as.

Oh well, what can you expect from CBBC.

Aoife
-24th November 2003, 21:05
I think the poor BBC must be under a sudden influx of e-mails from fencers who have seen this and decided to have a moan. I know my e-mail was a long, picky, and slightly superior one (pointing out that even the eleven year olds who come on their first lesson make the assumption that it is rational to have the same foot forward as hand). I was a good girl though, and decided not to go into their use of English (the sports glossary page started "Some words, like dog, are well easy to understand..." Ouch. Ta for contributing to childhood illiteracy there CBBC :rolleyes: )

MrWizard
-24th November 2003, 21:27
Oh dear god, what have I started... ;)

Jamie

Pointy stick
-25th November 2003, 07:25
This is dreadful (from the glossary on that site):
<<MALLET
A big wooden hammer used for hitting balls in sports like polo, bicycle and croquet.>>

Of course, with today's traffic, bicycling with a big mallet could be an advantage...

Muso440
-25th November 2003, 08:16
Originally posted by Aoife
I think the poor BBC must be under a sudden influx of e-mails from fencers who have seen this and decided to have a moan. I know my e-mail was a long, picky, and slightly superior one

But did you ask your mum and dad for permission first, Aoife? ;)

Rdb811
-25th November 2003, 16:37
I'd like to see someone using a croquet mallet as a hammer - esp. a carbon fibre Pidcock Millenium.

Mantis
-25th November 2003, 17:36
Just for the record I have also sent a comment, but I too lied about asking Mum and Dad. ;) Maybe if they get enough feedback they will actually do something positive.

And can someone explain how a lunge, albeit a poorly executed one, is a cheat or a short-cut? :grin:

Also from the glossary:

Strike When you hit something

I bet that comes as a shock to all the baseball players. :tongue:

Aoife
-26th November 2003, 09:16
I didn't ask my parents, because I didn't use to feedback form, I e-mailed them at cbbc.online@bbc.co.uk :) I used grown up mail :tongue:

Muso440
-26th November 2003, 18:47
They sent me a reply today and said they've passed it onto their 'sports' team. So let's see if they ever actually change the site...

Mantis
-26th November 2003, 22:21
Originally posted by Muso440
They sent me a reply today and said they've passed it onto their 'sports' team. So let's see if they ever actually change the site...

Hey, I got that one too:

Thanks for your email, which we've passed on to the Sport team.

Best wishes
CBBCi
www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc

Standard reply?

Aoife
-28th November 2003, 08:28
I didn't even get a reply :upset:

Mantis
-28th November 2003, 08:36
Originally posted by Aoife
I didn't even get a reply :upset:

That's because you didn't say you got your parents' permission. :grin:

bufc99
-28th November 2003, 09:28
I used both proper e-mail and feedback form and I havn't got a reply yet

Rdb811
-28th November 2003, 10:20
Radio 4 lost about twety minutes of 'Today' due to power failure, so they may not have enough money to feed the meter.

Mantis
-28th November 2003, 10:46
They've changed it. :mexwave:

xcr
-28th November 2003, 10:47
I got a reply (and used regular email). They said my message was fowarded to their sports team.

Rdb811
-28th November 2003, 10:56
The croquet section isn't much better - it's based on the American version of the game.

Rdb811
-28th November 2003, 11:02
And I really wouldn't follow their advice on taking corners when karting.

MrWizard
-28th November 2003, 11:44
Originally posted by Mantis
They've changed it. :mexwave:

Yes, but the shirt's still pink... :grin:

Jamie

uk_45
-28th November 2003, 14:31
Ok just being fussy the old one was a valid en-guard it comes from paiper fencing so a dager would be in your left hand and the lunge goes: cross step, lunge. But still no one ever uses it.

Aoife
-29th November 2003, 15:17
But the BFA may not approve too much if we all start using wee shivs (no matter how many times my dad tells me it'd improve my game :) )

My haven't CBBC done well in changing it... take a close look at the join in the legs where they've been switched round. What a shoddy job! Looks like it's been done in Paint! (probably has!)

Muso440
-29th November 2003, 19:12
Originally posted by uk_45
paiper fencing

What's that?

And what are 'wee shivs' Aoife?

Have I just been sucked into a parallel universe where I don't understand English any more? :confused:

uk_45
-29th November 2003, 19:19
Wish i could type i meant

raiper

Aoife
-29th November 2003, 19:41
A wee shiv. Erm, I guess it's more Irish than English. It's a small knife. I asked my dad and he says he thinks it originated as prison slang.

:shrug:

uk_45
-29th November 2003, 19:52
Im taking a guess it comes from companion dagger which would be kept in a small sheath which is strapped a sowrd's scabbard

Mantis
-29th November 2003, 21:38
Originally posted by Muso440
And what are 'wee shivs' Aoife?

Shiv is a knife used as a weapon (OK, so I had to look it up) and wee is small in Scotland, and presumably Ireland too.

Have I just been sucked into a parallel universe where I don't understand English any more? :confused:

Or maybe you are just not too hot on local dialects. :tongue:

Muso440
-30th November 2003, 09:59
Originally posted by Mantis
Shiv is a knife used as a weapon (OK, so I had to look it up) and wee is small in Scotland, and presumably Ireland too.

Okay, I knew the 'wee' bit, thanks!

Or maybe you are just not too hot on local dialects. :tongue:

:( I'm sorry. I do my best...

stevejackson
-30th November 2003, 19:18
I was under the impression that Shiv was thieves slang for an improvised knife.

My Concise OED doesn't give it but theres always Shiver (As in Shiver my timbers) meaning to splinter or a splinter and shiv could be a contraction.

plewis66
-1st December 2003, 19:08
On a slightly different take...is it good for the Beeb to be going round encouraging the bairns to poke each other with garden canes?

They don't seem to mention the need for an approved mask...

uk_45
-1st December 2003, 19:11
They do if you follow the saftey link.

can you please make your messages more readable that was rather confussing to understand or is it just me?????

Muso440
-2nd December 2003, 08:23
Originally posted by plewis66
On a slightly different take...is it good for the Beeb to be going round encouraging the bairns to poke each other with garden canes?

They don't actually say they should poke each other, just that they should poke a tree. (Although if your garden cane isn't very bendy I can imagine that hurting a bit)

I agree it should have a 'don't try this on your mates' type note though.

Aoife
-3rd December 2003, 21:52
Awww, but everyone knows once (or even before) a kid's mastered whacking a tree, they'll try it on a sibling/friend :)

I've noticed recently the 'Don't try this at home' messages have been forllowed by 'Or anywhere else' - darn it, they discovered the loophole that ment it was fine to do it in school or down the park! :)

I was under the impression that Shiv was thieves slang for an improvised knife.

I agree there. That's why I said prison slang... if you make a wee/small knief out of a sharp piece of metal or something, it's a shiv.

:shrug:

My loving father instilled me with a rich and varied vocabulary from an early age (which I use extensivly now I'm a hoyden!)