Odd Job
-2nd December 2008, 20:08
I came across this on the BBC web site

http://www.olympics.org.uk/ayof09/teamgb.aspx?sp=FE

Any one know any more?

Andrew

PM1
-2nd December 2008, 20:53
Interesting you should pull that up today: I was going to raise it myself tonight, having seen an article in the Manchester Evening News on the train home tonight. And no, I know nothing more than what I've read in the paper and on the BOA web site. Nothing on the BF website that I can see. But they are epeeists...must be good!! Not sure how they were chosen, but there you go....

Good luck to them!!

TomA
-2nd December 2008, 20:56
Not sure how they were chosen, but there you go....
Top 3 in the rankings around september time, I think :)

AussieMongrel
-3rd December 2008, 14:15
No Sabraurs???

Australian
-3rd December 2008, 14:23
It's epee only. It was held 4 years ago in Sydney, but GB didn't send a team.

PM1
-3rd December 2008, 19:31
Top 3 in the rankings around september time, I think :)

yes, looks like something like that...ta !!

tiger Swords
-5th December 2008, 10:02
Errrr......nope, not on any ranking this season have the selected three fencers been in the top 3 together i.e. at the same time......not any published list anyway.

So....given that there has been no announcement from BF about this event as far as I know....so there are no selection criteria that can be argued.....and it appears to be BOA sanctioned my guess it is funded fencers who have been selected......??

hokers
-5th December 2008, 10:28
Don't tell me this is the evil "discretionary selection" monster rearing its head again?

;)

PM1
-9th December 2008, 22:46
Not funded fencers I think, and a fourth has been "selected" today.....but exes paid. Some incredible opportunity, but I know nothing re selection.

Foilling Around
-10th December 2008, 09:42
Errrr......nope, not on any ranking this season have the selected three fencers been in the top 3 together i.e. at the same time......not any published list anyway.

So....given that there has been no announcement from BF about this event as far as I know....so there are no selection criteria that can be argued.....and it appears to be BOA sanctioned my guess it is funded fencers who have been selected......??

It could be the top three fencer from a particular ranking who are available to go. Given the time of year, the demands of the JWC circuit and the proximity of the Junior Worlds then it could be that some fencers turned down the opportunity. There is also the chance that some had already committed themselves to the Commonwealth Juniors.

The demands on top Junior fencers are becoming more and more diverse.

Tubby
-10th December 2008, 21:55
I think selection was in July; the comp is U19. Two other fencers have been selected, one ME and one WE. The trip is funded by the BOA.

Lynne
-12th December 2008, 19:26
I think selection was in July; the comp is U19. Two other fencers have been selected, one ME and one WE. The trip is funded by the BOA.

U20 as at 1st Jan 2009 according to this (http://http://www.olympics.org.uk/ayof09/sports.aspx?sp=FE) page.

What happened to open and transparent selection procedures? Also, why hasn't this been put on the BF website? It's a huge opportunity for the fencers who have been selected. Was it possibly open to volunteers as was the U23 European Champs last year? That wasn't as well publicised as it could have been beforehand - I only found out about it when I looked for something else.

Odd Job
-12th December 2008, 21:05
It's now on the BF website
a wee bitty late!

Tubby
-12th December 2008, 22:12
U20 as at 1st Jan 2009 according to this (http://http://www.olympics.org.uk/ayof09/sports.aspx?sp=FE) page..Ooopps.

StabInTheDark
-13th December 2008, 08:53
It's now on the BF website
a wee bitty late!

Do you think that our NGB is aware of the opport5unity at the Youth Olympics 2010 in Singapore?

14 to 26 August 2010 (NB - this will clash with UKSG)

Age range 14 - 18 yrs

http://www.singapore2010.sg/day/index.htm

The programme is:

Fencing 7 Epée individual (M&W)
Foil individual (M&W)
Sabre individual (M&W)
Mixed continental team competition (3M, 3W)

Assuming there is an intention to take a team, do you think it would it be too much to ask if some transparent selection criteria could be published well in advance so that eligible fencers can plan accordingly instead of being asked out of the blue a few months before the event?

As the selection will presumbaly be at least in substantial part from among the cohort currently going through CPP perhaps Neil Brown could include preparation and selection events for this in planning the programme for next season?

StabInTheDark
-13th December 2008, 09:08
I just found the IOC press release with outline selection criteria: NB Age limits will need to be looked at v carefully as it is age at 31 December in the year of the YOG, and it is unclear whether the age group for fencing will be U18 or U7

for what it is worth,

http://www.singapore2010.sg/press/YOG_Singapore_sports_program.pdf

Tubby
-13th December 2008, 14:04
Do you think that our NGB is aware of the opport5unity at the Youth Olympics 2010 in Singapore?Yes.

Assuming there is an intention to take a team, do you think it would it be too much to ask if some transparent selection criteria could be published well in advance so that eligible fencers can plan accordingly instead of being asked out of the blue a few months before the event?As the athlete quota for the fencing events appears to be 78 methinks it maybe be top 30 in FIE junior rankings age qualified. So GBR may only be able to send a handful. Hence continental teams.

StabInTheDark
-13th December 2008, 19:52
Yes.

As the athlete quota for the fencing events appears to be 78 methinks it maybe be top 30 in FIE junior rankings age qualified. So GBR may only be able to send a handful. Hence continental teams.

But the age range for these Youth Olympics is 14 - 18, so World Junior Rankings can't apply, and there isn't a world cadet ranking (though I do note the small quota number)

Tubby
-14th December 2008, 00:02
But the age range for these Youth Olympics is 14 - 18, so World Junior Rankings can't applyWhy not? The junior world ranking will still do the job, just pick the top 6 in each weapon that satisfy the age criteria provided only one representative from one country in a weapon.

Alternatively they may pick the top 6 from the Cadet World Championships.

Then one each from the host in each weapon

StabInTheDark
-14th December 2008, 09:46
thanks to Tubby burning midnight oil yet again in the cause of open information

Why not? The junior world ranking will still do the job, just pick the top 6 in each weapon that satisfy the age criteria provided only one representative from one country in a weapon.

In which case our domestic weapons committees all need to take this into account in the course of nominating events for Cadets in 2009/10 season - I know Epee already does include Junior world ranevents for Cadets, but Foil does not, and as the selection will be from last year cadets and first year juniors this will need to be considered very carefully

Alternatively they may pick the top 6 from the Cadet World Championships.

Then one each from the host in each weapon

Depends on whether the age range is U18 or U17 - if the U17 applies then this would be the most sensible approach, agreed, but it might be the top fencer for each country in that competition.

Does anyone know who decides - presumably the IOC has the ultimate say with advicefrom FIE, but will the information come back in time for BFA to make effective decisions about competition nominations and selection to ensure our fencers have the opportunity to go for this?

Keith.A.Smith
-15th December 2008, 10:30
Dear All,

Personally I am pleased that we negotiated to be included in the BOA team to the Australian Youth Olympics. It was agreed by the BOA that it would be only epee this time. The team has been selected, they know and all tickets etc are booked.

Concerning the IOC Youth Olympics it is all in the air as the FIE have bnot decided the quaolification system and nor have the IOC and with a new FIE President and managemnet team this will take some time to emerge. It will be difficult to qualify as there will be zonal qualification quotas as for the Olympic Games.

More news whern we have it. Look on the bright side at least I negotiated our inclusion in the Australian Youth Olympics.

Keith